Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game 2016 Thread

Options
  • 29-05-2016 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭

I might as well set up a thread where we can all complain about the Sunday game seeing as there were complaints about it taking over the championship thread.

Why doesn't Michael Lyster tell Brolly to shut up about topics that are completely irrelevant to todays game.

He's an unbelievable dose to listen to.

The way he's sitting slouched in his chair spinning around like a school child is terribly immature.

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Why is modern day player welfare not relevant in any discussion of any game? Far too many problems facing the GAA these days, are swept under the carpet by RTE imo. Am not saying that Brolly is the poster child for fair and balanced discussion, but at least he raises issues that others won't. If they aren't going to be discussed during The Sunday Game, when will they be discussed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why is modern day player welfare not relevant in any discussion of any game? Far too many problems facing the GAA these days, are swept under the carpet by RTE imo. Am not saying that Brolly is the poster child for fair and balanced discussion, but at least he raises issues that others won't. If they aren't going to be discussed during The Sunday Game, when will they be discussed?

These kind of issues should be discussed in the night time show in my opinion half time is for discussing the game at hand.

he wrote an article today partly slagging off the GPA and their commercial interests in todays indo while at the same time he is being paid by RTE and The Sunday Independent which is highly hypocritical of him.Also Joe fails to realise it's the players fault to a large degree for the commitment needed at intercounty football if they don't want to put in such an arduous effort then they should stick with their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

What an insufferable bore Martin Carney is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Will someone start a joe brolly is a bollix thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Will someone start a joe brolly is a ? thread ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

NufcNavan wrote: »
    What an insufferable bore Martin Carney is.

It must be said, i agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

corny wrote: »
    It must be said, i agree.

On numerous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Brolly is after saying that Keith Huggins isn't a half back...he's only win how many all-star there.
    It's hard to take him seriously at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Keith higgins is one of the best corner backs in the game. Nonsense by brolly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In fairness, Brolly made a lot of sense talking about Mayo there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tbh, he's only repeating whispers around the county about what kind of role Keith Higgins will have in the team this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

I must be the only one that thinks Higgs will be in the cornor this yr not against Galway but for the Connaught final he will be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

RD10 wrote: »
    Keith higgins is one of the best corner backs in the game. Nonsense by brolly.

Brolly does talk nonsense but he didn't say he was a ****e corner back.

I think his point was Higgins might be better used up the field. If Mayo had more options in the back three i think it would be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

There are arguments for keeping him in the corner or moving him out. Once Ger Cafferky comes back and if Chris Barrett can get back to full fitness, I think he probably will be moved. Management were actually already beginning to experiment with this in the league against Donegal, but he was injured fairly early on in that match before a full picture could be formed about what he'd be like in a more forward role.

These kind of issues should be discussed in the night time show in my opinion half time is for discussing the game at hand.

he wrote an article today partly slagging off the GPA and their commercial interests in todays indo while at the same time he is being paid by RTE and The Sunday Independent which is highly hypocritical of him.Also Joe fails to realise it's the players fault to a large degree for the commitment needed at intercounty football if they don't want to put in such an arduous effort then they should stick with their clubs.

It is relevant. Genuine questions are being asked as to why players in his own county don't want to play for McGeeney. It it a personality thing? Is it a Cross vs County thing? Is it a 'Jamie Clark is an oddball' thing? Is it a Kernans thing? Is McGeeney being too demanding of his players?

Carney said in the match commentary that Armagh lost as they just don't have the players. Brolly said they do have the players, they just don't want to commit to inter county football anymore, as the demands being made on them are too excessive. How is that not all relevant during an Armagh match, especially as their manager has a reputation for being one of the more demanding managers out there?

I agree that half time of a game, is not the time to be discussing the wider issues facing the game. But the day time show is a three hour show & they were only showing one game live. There is more than enough time, in a three hour show, to discuss GAA matters in general. The evening show has time constraints that the day time show does not have.

It is relevant. Genuine questions are being asked as to why players in his own county don't want to play for McGeeney. It it a personality thing? Is it a Cross vs County thing? Is it a 'Jamie Clark in an oddball' thing? Is it a Kernans thing? Is McGeeney being too demanding of his players?

Carney said in the match commentary that Armagh lost as they just don't have the players. Brolly said they do have the players, they just don't want to commit to inter county football anymore, as the demands being made on them are to excessive. How is that not all relevant during an Armagh match, especially as their manager has a reputation for being one of the more demanding managers out there?

I agree that half time of a game, is not the time to be discussing the wider issues facing the game. But the day time show is a three hour show & they were only showing one game live. There is more than enough time, in a three hour show, to discuss GAA matters in general. The evening show has time constraints that the day time show does not have.

Fair enough.I just felt he went on a bit and was clearly using it as a way of following up to the article he wrote in the Sunday Independent today.

I'd take anything Brolly says about the quality of Armaghs players with a pinch of salt though.Today he claimed Tony Kernan was one of the great footballers in the country which is clearly not true as he's clearly been no more than decent at inter county level over the last 10 years or so.

Joe Brolly going on a bit?

You don't say ! :rolleyes:

The problem with Brolly is that he goes way over the top in a lot of his commentary and he personalizes it to a very extreme degree. I don't know when or why McGeeney pissed into his cornflakes, but it's very obvious that there is something going on there.

It's a pity, as it just makes people roll their eyes, when he opens his gob and the fact that he is raising genuinely valid points, often gets over looked. If Brolly toned it down a bit, the points he is trying to make, would probably get better traction, but I don't think he has the will or the humility to do that. He loves the attention that comes with the punchy sound bites & the controversy that they create, far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I think 2016 could be remembered as the summer of the "Tomas O Se rant against the black card"

You heard it here first !

RIP Amhran na Bhfiann. Violently butchered by a lady prior to throw in in Clones today.

Note to ulster council, please get someone who can sing next time

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter if they get someone in who can sing. The crappy 1970's tannoy systems in most county grounds, ensures that the anthem always sounds crap, especially if sung by a lone female. The high notes always sound like a cat being strangled. They could get Shirley Bassey in and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. That's why a band should always play it imo.

It doesn't matter if they get someone in who can sing. The crappy 1970's tannoy systems in most county grounds, ensures that the anthem always sounds crap, especially if sung by a lone female. They could get Shirley Bassey in and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. That's why a band should always play it imo.

That's a fair point. The tannoy systems are absolutely rubbish. The drole lad in Thurles for example all I can hear is mumble mumble mumble. And I agree with a band too. Far better and generates an atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

3rd week of football ... 3rd week of only the Ulster championship existing in the eyes of RTE...

It was also originally written as a march, to be ya know marched to quickly and, be played quickly by a marching band. It wasn't written to be sung unaccompanied, even though it has words. So when you slow it down to sing it, it effs up the note structure, which also contributes to it sounding off, so ofen, when sung by a lone cailin. Was told that by someone who knows a thing or two about musak.

It was also originally written as a march, to be ya know marched to quickly and, be played quickly by a marching band. It wasn't written to be sung unaccompanied, even though it has words. So when you slow it down to sing it, it effs up the note structure, which also contributes to it sounding off, so ofen, when sung by a lone cailin. Was told that by someone who knows a thing or two about musak.

The anthem is actually quite rousing when it is played at a quick tempo and sung with a strong powerful voice.Unfortunately whoever is in charge of the playing of the anthem has forgotten that.

Jack L sang a great version of it at an international rules match years ago and I remember Joe Maher (the Offaly footballer) doing a good job of it at our county finals precisely because they had strong voices and didn't whine out the anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Joe Brolly going on a bit?

You don't say ! :rolleyes:

The problem with Brolly is that he goes way over the top in a lot of his commentary and he personalizes it to a very extreme degree. I don't know when or why McGeeney pissed into his cornflakes, but it's very obvious that there is something going on there.

It's a pity, as it just makes people roll their eyes, when he opens his gob and the fact that he is raising genuinely valid points, often gets over looked. If Brolly toned it down a bit, the points he is trying to make, would probably get better traction, but I don't think he has the will or the humility to do that. He loves the attention that comes with the punchy sound bites & the controversy that they create, far too much.

Brolly has mentioned several times recently McGeeney telling him, in front of a bunch of former Derry players, that he (Brolly) never got the best out of himself. Happened at Eamonn Coleman's funeral.

Agreed. When sung/played at the correct tempo, its brilliant. When slowed down excessively, as it tends to be, on days like this, it sounds brutal. My favourite version is at Croke Park, when the game isn't important enough to roll out the Artane Boys Band. They just play the recording by the RTE Concert Orchestra, the one RTE used to play at the end of the nights broadcast. Hearing that,a full blooded orchestra, playing it at the correct tempo, coming out of the Croke Park speakers, is fabulous !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Brolly, Burns and tommy f***ing carr

the unholy trinity

I wonder if tommy carr likes lagging jackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Brilliant intro to the Hurling with Daly and McGrath talking about their favourite Senple Stadium memories.

Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

3rd week of football ... 3rd week of only the Ulster championship existing in the eyes of RTE...
    :confused: it's the only football on today

Advertisement