Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game 2016 Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Marty on Mayo Galway 'Is this the first shock of the 2016 Championship'

He's forgotten about last week already :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hard to believe someone in the studio couldn't point out that the square ball rule changed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I cant suffer that Martin Carney fella anymore. His language and terminology in descibing basic skills is not 'delightfull' to listen to.

Jayop wrote: »
    Hard to believe someone in the studio couldn't point out that the square ball rule changed years ago.

It changed but if you're saying that on the basis that the third Cavan goal wasn't a square ball you'd be wrong.

Its "when the ball enters" from a set piece and from play, its when the ball was played.

It changed but if you're saying that on the basis that the third Cavan goal wasn't a square ball you'd be wrong.

Its "when the ball enters" from a set piece and from play, its when the ball was played.

Ah **** yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Cannot abide Jarlath Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Start a club, I'll join

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Marty on Mayo Galway 'Is this the first shock of the 2016 Championship'

He's forgotten about last week already :P

Tipp beating cork was not a shock to many people, Tipp should have beaten them the last time they played and Cork got out of jail.

in what sense? both Cavan goals were square balls yesterday, even taking the new rules into account.

in what sense? both Cavan goals were square balls yesterday, even taking the new rules into account.

YA Gilberto pointed that out. I didn't watch the highlights and just seen the two boys talking about it so I hadn't noticed they were in the square before the ball was played.

• Advertisement

YA Gilberto pointed that out. I didn't watch the highlights and just seen the two boys talking about it so I hadn't noticed they were in the square before the ball was played.

2nd goal also was a square ball, as the ball took a second play on the way in, by at which stage, the player was in the square.

so this is a 6 point difference, two major, game changing errors from the officials yet, the sunday game panel said he had a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I can't even get pissed off now despite bad referring costing us the win. I thought Tyrone played really poorly and even though they weather was a factor too many of our big players didn't show up. Harte played like he used to years ago, incredibly inconsistent from one possession to the next, Sean Cavanagh was poor and the full back line looked so porous.

I wouldn't moan too much about the attack because the conditions really were poor and we still scored a nice tally. A lot if wife's were to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Jarlath Burns was a disgrace last night, he said no need to change the championship format because weaker counties dont have much interest and favour their county championship. The problem is that the likes of him are on these councils etc so if epitomises those attidtudes no wonder the GAA is dying a slow death at county level

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

kilns wrote: »
    Jarlath Burns was a disgrace last night, he said no need to change the championship format because weaker counties dont have much interest and favour their county championship. The problem is that the likes of him are on these councils etc so if epitomises those attidtudes no wonder the GAA is dying a slow death at county level

+1

He's running for office, I'm convinced of it. Last nights show was nothing more than a party political broadcast on behalf of the Vote For Jarlath party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Tipp beating cork was not a shock to many people, Tipp should have beaten them the last time they played and Cork got out of jail.

Rubbish, it was a huge huge shock.

7/1 in the bookies, no win against said opposition since 1944 and missing 11 players that played Championship football last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

ProudDUB wrote: »
    +1

He's running for office, I'm convinced of it. Last nights show was nothing more than a party political broadcast on behalf of the Vote For Jarlath party.

Yup - everything was super according to Jarlath last night, was have expecting him to burst out in song at one stage - I think he must have managed to get in positive mentions to about 8 different county boards.

I can't imagine that any other candidates would have been too pleased by such blatant electioneering on such a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

+1

Course he is. Been sniffing around since he started embarrassing himself bleating on about the mark. The man has absolutely no tact.

I'd love to see Ger Loughane thump him round the head with a hurl for an hour and a half on a sunday evening. Might endear more 'northern' viewers to the hurling highlights at the very least.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Yup - everything was super according to Jarlath last night, was have expecting him to burst out in song at one stage - I think he must have managed to get in positive mentions to about 8 different county boards.

I can't imagine that any other candidates would have been too pleased by such blatant electioneering on such a platform.

I'd say RTE are none to impressed too. He's on there to give his own opinions, such as they are. Not the opinions that will get him the most votes in an election. It was so bloody blatant too, surely they have to be aware of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Patww79 wrote: »

It's the same as with trying to promote Hurling in certain counties, you cannot help those who do not wish to be helped unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A lot of it isn't to do with the players not caring it's to do with population.

You just have a bee in your bonnet about it because your own county have been sh1te for years because of club infighting and indifference from players, not all smaller counties are like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ridiculous idea to want a certain number of weaker counties not to bother with it.

It's like saying if your from a junior club you shouldn't bother playing.

You give county teams more games in the summer time at their own level and a chance for future progress to the higher level would be afar more positive and sensible approach.

I'm no fan of Burns, and I didn't see the whole thing, but what was mentioned above would be bang on the money. A lot of weaker counties will always be weak no matter what the format as the players just don't give a crap.

Of course they give a crap. Why would you give up the drink for 10 months of the year & turn up at 7am for training in the pitch dark, January mud & muck, if they didn't care? It's the ridiculous championship structure, the insane games to training ratio & the excessive demands being made on players by careerist intercounty managers, that are driving players away in droves. It's not a lack of caring on their part.

Of course they give a crap. Why would you give up the drink for 10 months of the year & turn up at 7am for training in the pitch dark, January mud & muck, if they didn't care? It's the ridiculous championship structure, the insane games to training ratio & the excessive demands being made on players by careerist intercounty managers, that are driving players away in droves. It's not a lack of caring on their part.

Look at Leitrim. Great win for them and look how much it meant to them, training so much for so little return that a win in the back door is celebrated probably more by their players than the Dubs would winning a provincial now.

• Advertisement

You only hear about it in the big counties that had a decent history. Galway and Derry are the ones we've read a lot about players turning down the country team.

Leitrim not so much.

Advertisement