Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What AAA series of games can you not get into

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm reading your comments and here's more games I just Do. Not. Give. A. F**k. About
    Metal Gear Series
    Dark Souls Series

I have tried to get into MGS but the control layout is just awful(the crouch,crawl,stand in particular). I enjoyed Ground Zeroes just cause it improved on this. Dark Souls just isn't for,me, don't have the patience or passion to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's a couple of hours to get the mechanics, hardly 600 a year to keep sharp?

I don't like the professor Layton or Ace Attorney games all that much. While not huge AAAs smaller games have been mentioned. They're enjoyable for the first hour and then boring for me.

Uncharted in another I don't like, though apparently it's sacrilege to write them off without playing the second one, similar to Assassins Creed. Loved 2 and Brotherhood, wasn't mad on any of the rest. Played 3 for about 2 hours total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Uncharted:

Like another poster, I only picked up the collection recently but f**k me is it tedious - Still on the first one FWIW but I have zero motivation to go back to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Uncharted 1 is just about as mediocre as AAA games get. When I played it first, just before the release of the second, I was baffled at how it got any appreciation at all beyond its technical prowess and performances. It's barely a rough draft.

But yeah, Uncharted 2 is a major leap in quality. Really takes everything promising in the first game and takes it to an entirely different level. No question the first is a drag, and I can only imagine age has been less than kind to it too. But the second is by all accounts vastly superior. Third's too complacent and the series' fundamental flaws less forgivable than ever. But the 4th is a very well crafted swan song (hopefully) that still has too much combat and platforming, but brings the franchise's stunning art design, storytelling fluency, ludicrous setpieces and confident performances to the fore and doesn't get as dragged down with gunplay as its predecessor.

It's weird to say a game excels in almost every sense but the gameplay, but there you go :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Uncharted 1 reminds of a conversation I had with a friend back in the day (circa 2012) about the Mass Effect Series.

They basically warned me against playing ME 1 so I could enjoy ME 2 and ME 3 (at the time on PS3) without getting hung up on, as Johnny mentioned, that kind of "Rough Draft" thing.

I thought of another series.

F**king Gran Turismo..... stupid licenses and my inability to play "proper" driving games, give me oil slicks and rockets and jump boosts and cop cars and such any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I try not to write off a whole series based on one game but for me it's Dark Souls.
    The world was just as dull and lifeless as the gameplay, after around forty minutes I turned it off and never went back.

After watching bits and pieces of II and III it looks to be more of the same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dark Souls

*sigh*

Unlike aaron I like the world setting but I just get use to difficulty spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

GTA is the main one for me - its like its okay at everything (shooting, driving, fighting,exploration, etc.) but not entertaining enough to hold my attention, also everyone seem to be obsessed with the size of the map - I would have preferred a smaller map but with lots more detail i.e. building you could go into and skyscrapers you could go up the inside of.

Also fighting games Id love to get good at them but just dont have the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You should try GTA Vice City, it's available for the current consoles for cheap and it will hold you're attention with good humour, great music and plenty to do in a city that's designed around having fun.
    Still worth playing, all of these years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Uncharted, I have all 3 for the PS3 and the PS4 collection, got them all as gifts, still cannot get past the first, even tried the second but they just will not click with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So you both played Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 , 3 Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 4 ?

If you did...well then you kind of 'got into' the series in a big way, and completely missed the point of the thread.

I never said I didn't like the metal gear series, I love it in fact. I just didn't like the phantom pain. Where's the problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cormac... wrote: »
    I've never played a Dark Souls game.
    Who has turned me off the the Dark Souls games I hear you ask?
    Dark Souls Fans.

I have no interest in getting my a$$ handed to me over and over and over until I learn how to play ball.
    I'm not masochistic enough for that.
    People can wax lyrical all they want about "Oh it doesn't hold your hand, it's tutorial is it killing you over and over, you just don't get it" all they want.

I could not give a toss.
    Dark Souls fans have made me not want to play it by pushing it too hard.

I can get people feeling that way about Dark Souls but I think it's really not founded in any sort of reality.

However it's been nurtured by fans, morons in the press and Namco Bandai's own advertising.

You have stuff like fans saying 'git gud' in response to anyone asking advice and Namco Bandai with it's 'Prepare to Die' branding of the first Dark Souls game and continuation of that theme. Then you have the press which is mostly full of barely literate morons that put the series on a pedestal of toughness that only the elite of the elite can even penetrate. Then you have gob****es like Giantbomb saying the combat is ****.

The thing is Dark Souls is actually quite accessible it just doesn't pander to players the way other games do with constant tutorial pop ups. The community is fantastic for getting help on the more obtuse elements.

The difficulty is blown way out of proportion. It reminds me of contra on the NES a game supposedly one of the hardest ever made and also a game I breezed through in 3 hours of solid play and one of the easiest ones on the NES (and I didn't even use the Konami code). Souls games just demand a little more from the player. You have to put a bit of effort in for that euphoric feeling when you get past that difficult area or boss. You'll die a lot but the game is also not going to waste your time. I find that a far better experience than most triple A games that lead the player by the hand to the next audio visual spectacle.

The games usually take about 60 hours to complete but that's a solid 60 hours of wonderfully refined gameplay and level design as opposed to any open world game which is just jank and repetition with a few high points every hour or so.

Also the big secret of Dark Souls is that it has an easy mode built into it. Stuck on a boss? Well summon some help. Summoning for co-op makes the game very easy. Want to grind a bit but find it boring? Then help someone else out and get some soils that way, far more fun than normal grinding.

Souls has this reputation as a game that just wants to waste the players time but it couldn't be further than the truth. It's a series featuring world class level design, the best action RPG combat out there, wonderful gameplay systems and some of the best art and audio direction in gaming. It's far from a waste of time, it's endlessly rewarding and arguably the best game series of the last decade.

It's a pity it has this undeserved reputation. I'm trying to get some friends into the series and co-op with me but they tell me they don't have the time to get good at it yet put hundreds of hours into Witcher 3, Skyrim, DA: Inquisition etc.

Am I going to go for it...? I can't really get into Dark Souls. The latest release compounded this. I haven't finished any of the Souls games yet I own all three with each around 20 hours played on them. Its great at first. There is a fantastic sense of exploration as I slowly creep through the starting areas. The areas usually look fantastic. I played the recent iteration for a few days straight, then somewhere along the shine completely falls off. Each area feels identical to the last. Another irritating challenge after the next. The combat reaches saturation point where its a chore; bait an enemy, roll around the place if things go wrong, repeat ad nauseam. I found myself constantly sighing out of boredom and frustration. The almost non existent storyline doesn't keep me pushing on. I need more than another room of frustratingly placed skeletons. And I have "gitten gud" so I'm not even dying that often. If I compare it to something like the recent Doom, which is simply a barrel of laughs. I can see why I can't get into DS, its just not that much fun. I really have tried.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well that's different, it's not for you then and 20 hours is way more than enough to know if it's for you or not. I'm more talking about people being put off the series because of the perceived barrier of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fallout was just never big with me. Fallout 3 took multiple attempts but I liked NV and I love the Elder Scroll series. Wasn't impressed by Fallout 4 where I grew bored of it and just stopped playing, felt like it wasn't a big leap ahead despite waiting years for it.

Still have it installed with the intention of giving it another chance but I think Bethesda have been getting away with far too much in the past few years that other developers would be crucified for.

The Borderlands games were just so dull to me, I tried many times to get into the series but I just wasn't interested spending my game time with others who were only interested going around every nook and cranny looking for items rather than doing missions. No interest in grinding / looting games at all.

CoD, at least since MW2 where it became the monster it's well known for now. No interest in the multiplayer and while the single-player campaigns were well produced they're hollow and unimaginative where the mechanics are barely outside of the realm of "On-the-rails"

I sank 90 hours into Dark Souls before I realized I was doing 90% of it wrong.

.. yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Dark Souls. I tried DS1 a few times and put a good few hours into it the second time around and I can see why people love it so much. I totally get what the attraction is, but it just doesn't grab me. It doesn't put its hooks into me the way it does for other people and I end up wandering off to something else. I think I just have a low tolerance for repetition maybe and repetition is a big part of it.

Dragon Age. Just don't get it at all. I gave the original and DA3 a good crack and I just had no interest whatsoever. It felt pretty formulaic and like I had seen it all before in decades past.

COD. Always good for a bit of a romp up to MW2/3 or thereabouts, but any that I've tried since have just been a snore fest. Same thing over and over but with different skins. All bark and no bite.

Sort of Elder Scrolls but also not. I enjoyed both Oblivion and Skyrim up to a point but was never blown away to the same degree that other people seem to be. I guess the world always felt a bit flat and plastic and the plot and narrative never felt particularly engaging.

Mass Effect for me. I always felt if it didn't have Bioware slapped on it then it never would have had a sequel. I've played the others and was unmoved by them. I've never been a fan of AI party members in games outside of JRPG ones especially in more action based ones. Always feels like they are stealing your kills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Cormac... wrote:
    I've never played a Dark Souls game. Who has turned me off the the Dark Souls games I hear you ask? Dark Souls Fans.

This put me off demon souls and dark souls 1 on PS3.

Good games and not that bad to be honest just have to be careful and take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mario Kart and Super Smash bros. franchises on various Nintendo consoles have never done it for me. I suppose mainly playing solo could be part of the problem and I'm not a massive racing/fighting game fan either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Metal Gear Solid. I generally don’t have the patience for stealth games – Thief being the exception – and the anime style story nonsense and three-day long cut scenes always put me off. The only one I did manage to get some fun out of was Twin Snakes on the Gamecube and that seems to be the one that series fans have the least reverence for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭Corvo

Skyrim. The consistent travelling down into caves whilst a large beautiful landscape lay outside turned me off that game for life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

COD multiplayer. Run for 2 seconds, die and repeat. If you spend hours learning where spawn points and such are that limit extends somewhat but why bother?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

TBH you can say that about most FPS multiplayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wanted to love Borderlands because I absolutely love Fallout and rather liked Rage, but I found it such a chore to play and gave up after a few hours. I feel somewhat similar about other highly acclaimed franchises like Half Life and Mass Effect - games I wanted to like so badly but just couldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

That time we locked Joan in her car was good, but I have to say the last few water charge pickets haven't been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Total War style games, I've tried repeatedly but they're so tedious I give up after about 45 minutes.

Not sure if they'd count as AAA but Paradox games would fall into the same category, albeit with the balm of extraordinarily entertaining Steam reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Elite Dangerous.

Wasted 40 bucks. Just can't get into it.

Didn't Elite have a game on MS:DOS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I have to say as regard to uncharted I had also written it off as dull and badly aged after playing the first one but the sequels after attempting them (really really liked 3) definitely redeem it in my eyes

Series I can't get into:
    Final Fantasy
    Deus Ex
    BioShock
    Legend of Zelda
    3D Mario games
    Castlevania lords of shadow series
    Devil may cry
    God of war

Advertisement