Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What AAA series of games can you not get into

Options
  • 29-05-2016 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

and why?
    to stop this turning into a list thread explain why if you can why you don't like a certain series of games?
    for me it is the following

Deus Ex- even though it was hailed as the great open world game for achieving the objective I never took to them despite owning all of them and giving up multiple times

Borderlands - it just felt like an MMO in a single player game, I know it should be played co-op but that doesn't interest me

I don't know if they have a category name but the Dark Souls/Bloodbourne games as I am not a sadist

Assassin Creed games - yawn!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Final Fantasy. I've given nearly every AAA/big title game a chance over the last 20 years but I've never touched an FF game and probably never will. Don't know why either, I love RPG games and I don't mind turn-based gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fallout, gave NV three good attempts over the years, hated it each time. I enjoyed three but forgot about it after about 10 hours, just wasn't mad on it.

GTA. Enjoyed SA but GTA IV was fairly boring and V just doesn't appeal to me, I'll give it a stab yet though.

Total War and Crusader Kings, CK was just way to in-depth for me to be arsed with, I really dislike the style of TW for no good reason, I just feel I wouldn't like to sit looking at them

Deus Ex HR took me 2 years and about 4 restarts to get into Skerries I see where you're coming from, I bought Dark Souls like 3 times before it clicked with me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Turn based games.
    And pretty much all of them.
    I own tons of the buggers, from Advance Wars and Ghost Recon on the DS and 3DS to Final Fantasy XIII and Chronotrigger on the PS3 and SNES, not forgetting fare like Parasite Eve or Disgraceful on the PS1 and PS2, just can't get into them.
    The only one I have enjoyed was the combat in Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox back in the day, but even that's fudged.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Destiny: Can't quite put my finger on what puts me off it. I think part of it was my own expectations of a Halo 2.0 from bungie. I also thought the fact that they released an introduction under the guise of a game originally was a big factor but having bought the complete edition recently I still can't get into it. Maybe it's the fact that my contributions to the score in multiplayer don't seem to actually have any impact on the outcome of the game.

Metal Gear: Enjoyed the one everyone else did back on the PS1, and gave the sequel a go but the story has just gotten so convoluted now that I have no interest in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Batman series - don't get me wrong, I have nearly all of them but haven't finished one since Asylum. In each one there's come a point where the difficulty spikes just around the boredom threshold and I've walked away from each wondering why I didn't learn from last time.

Assassin's Creed - loved the first few. Once it went to climbing trees and hunting rabbits, never ever looked back and don't intend to. Shame I liked the real world story arch but learning how to hunt every time from scratch with the same game play and then just climbing trees, nope.

Destiny - demo was enough for me. Didn't feel like it even scratched the surface of the worst of the handsome jack collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Halo games did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Fallout for me. I got a really fancy version of fallout 3 as a present and I tried a good few times to play and like it but I hated it. Haven't even attempted anything in the series since 3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Strategy and tactical games, even the popular ones. I've started all the ones I own couple of times and I just lose interest after an hour or so. Valkyria Chronicles, C&C, CIV5, XCOM - I try them hoping one will click and I'll get into the genre.

I used to feel the same about RPGs, but I eventually got into them after realising there was more to RPGs than Final Fantasy. That said, I still don't like (high) fantasy much. I have played and enjoyed Skyrim and Oblivion, but couldn't get into Morrowind or Dragon Age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Halo. Not for want of trying. Completed them all up until Reach and struggled to finish each one. Never got on with the multiplayer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I could not get into Borderlands, at all. I played the first one and it felt so empty for a single player. Ended up getting my partner to play it with me, it still felt quite empty but it was better played as a coop. Ended up selling it not long after.

I also can't stand the dark souls games, I tried playing them a few times but got fed up. I know they are meant to be very difficult but honestly I didn't find dying 20+ times, before I can move onto the next part fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Dark souls. I'd say if I was 10 years younger and had no responsibility then I'd love it. But I just don't have the time to get good enough at it for it to be enjoyable.

Batman, felt a bit gimmicky or something I don't know. Played the latest one on the ps4 which was pretty OK, but the batmobile was total **** and put me right off the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

Batman series for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Call of duty.

Modern Warfare was great, but then.....Jesus Christ what an absolute monster it's become.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

zzfh wrote: »
    Batman series for me too.

Arkham Asylum is a an excellent, tightly focused, well paced piece of entertainment; but the rest of them really suffer from the law of diminishing returns. The bigger they made them the worse they got. I've no motivation to finish AK..seriously, fawk the batmobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Borderlands, just could not enjoy it.

Rome II : my save files got deleted so this game is dead to me as I am not restarting. Also army limits annoyed me.

Halo: loved 1-3. No interest after that.

C&C 4: no base building, not playing. Same with DOW2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Far Cry 3 absolutely bored me to tears, haven't looked at another game in the franchise since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Fallout 3 was one of the best games I've ever played.
    Fallout New Vegas bored me to tears.
    Fallout 4 was utter shyte.

Assassins Creed was one game I could never get into. The first one was okay but I felt it was style over substance.

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 10 were, in my opinion, nothing short of astonishing. Every one since have been major disappointments.

Grand Theft Auto. San Andreas is in my top five games I've played. Every one since just didn't do it for me.

Call of Duty. Black Ops was the last good one. The following CoDs are the reason I play Battlefield now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Fallout 4 for me too never played the series just couldn't get into it traded it into cex about 2 weeks after launch

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

Links234 wrote: »
    Far Cry 3 absolutely bored me to tears, haven't looked at another game in the franchise since.

yeah,im hoping it come up on the gamestop trade in list sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Fallout: Loved Elderscrolls, fallout series just meh
    GTA: No, just no
    COD: If I wanted interaction with kids, Id hang out with my nephew
    Modern day PES: It lost its mojo
    Destiny: This one is funny it has all the aspects I like in sci-fi but not for me

Im sure their is more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Uncharted.

Never played them before until I bought the Nathan Drake collection recently. I understand this series is a trendsetter and broke new ground and what not. This kinda explains why the games felt ubiquitous, boring and derivative as all hell.

Id never played the game before and yet it felt like a game I'd played 10,000 times. Obviously other AAA games that I've played followed Uncharted's lead and adopted many ideas as from it. Unfortunately, this means that this series just bores the pants off me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GTA games. They're not bad and I've beaten most of them. My main problem is that for open world games there's too much scripting in the missions were unlike GTA 3 where you could approach missions in interesting ways there's now very little difference between the latest linear snore fest.

Shadows of Mordor, mad Max etc. Games that rely on 'batman combat'. I just hate the combat systems in these games. I guess I was just spoiled with games with intricate combat systems that something that reduces the whole thing to a qte is just boring. Batman gets a pass due to having a nice variety of gameplay styles.

Borderlands. I've never really gotten into loot based games. I also found the so called humour obnoxious. Having it based on nothing but stupid internet memes is not my idea of funny.

Bioware games. I find them incredibly generic and directly rip off other source material. Dragon age is a bad game of thrones rip off, mass effect rips off the classic sci Fi book Gateway poorly. The lore and codex entries they try to ram down your throat are also badly written tripe and the games become better when you ignore the lore. They aren't bad games but for every Bioware game there's a Witcher 3, planescape torment or tactics ogre I've yet to play or finish which are of a far better quality.

Halo. As a PC gamer I found the first fun but nothing special. 2 was a bit crap, 3 was decent, ODST was meh and Reach... Well I loved that one other than the muck story. Then Bungie left to make the boring Destiny and Halo 4 was ****. Oh well.

Anyone that says there's been no good Final Fantasy games since 10 needs to play FF13-3 (also 10 is not so good in hindsight). Secret best FF game in years... Even if it's more a Tri-ace game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Uncharted.

Never played them before until I bought the Nathan Drake collection recently. I understand this series is a trendsetter and broke new ground and what not. This kinda explains why the games felt ubiquitous, boring and derivative as all hell.

Id never played the game before and yet it felt like a game I'd played 10,000 times. Obviously other AAA games that I've played followed Uncharted's lead and adopted many ideas as from it. Unfortunately, this means that this series just bores the pants off me.

I have to agree. Loved the whole style of it and the fun characters but the gameplay was just awful. The endless shooting galleries... Ugh.

Similarly, as a bit of an fps fan, I never got into shooters like Borderlands or Halo. They felt too much like a grind with bullet sponge enemies.
    As above MW2 was the final nail in the COD coffin for me. Such a bizarre tonal switch.

Assassins Creed was a series ruined by its own success. After the Italian series of games it veered into an utter mess. Horrible controls and awful missions. They should really make made the pirate aspects of Black Flag into its own IP.

I've never been one for MMO games either, but that's hardly a controversial opinion.

CoD, because I dislike the playerbase.

Halo, because I didn't like the first game.

Assassin's Creed, because the first game was ruddy awful.

Any sports game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Far Cry 3 and 4. I wasn't a fan of the first two at all and never really gave them time, but I did try 3 and 4 and I really really just could not enjoy them at all.

Fallout 3 and 4. Tried them, put about 20 hours in and just did not like them at all. I think people are way too soft on Bethesda and the bugs in their launch games. Also just found them to be honestly boring.

C.O.D and other FPS games. I used to love the single player COD games, but I suck absolute balls and Multiplayer so I can't really get into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Uncharted.

never understood the appeal either. the boring as **** "press x and point in direction" platforming, the spongy shooting with guns that feel like peashooters, and there's something incredibly irritating about Nathan Drake which i just can't put my finger on.

good graphics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Gears of War - Usually don't enjoy games with Aliens/Monsters so sort of made sense I wouldnt enjoy this.

Halo - The second one was my favorite as you could use stealth and its generally the least liked by the community. :confused:

Uncharted - Feels like a quick time event spruced up.

Assassin Creed - Found it incredibly boring.

All CODs/MWs after MW2.

To an extent all Bethesda games. Always fun at the beginning but their level scaling in those games just completely ruins it for me. Fallout 4 at first seemed amazing but then I realised how empty it actually was. Felt like a remake of Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Borderlands. I've never really gotten into loot based games. I also found the so called humour obnoxious. Having it based on nothing but stupid internet memes is not my idea of funny.

"Stairs?!?!?"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

:p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Halo: utterly, utterly boring and seems like babby's first shooter - most FPS' are if you have to use a controller and you cut your teeth on Quakeworld though.

Final Fantasy - the worst games I have ever played in my life. I cannot understand why anyone would sit through that rubbish. First one I saw was 7 on the PC, rubbish port, couldn't even play the video files properly. Saw my brother take literally 2 hours to fight some sort of boss that would just keep healing itself. Fascinating gameplay :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

FarCry 3 and 4 - I just could not stomach the amount of bloated content, that just makes game a lot longer then it should. I still want to play Far cry 3 at some point just due to Vaas, but it wont be soon. I heard they good games, gave it a go and got annoyed with endless to do lists. Funny enough I am playing Mad Max in short bursts right now and Loving it to bits. I guess setting and my love for post apocalyptic and cars wins over.

Ass creed - Tried 1 and 3. Both times just did not clicked with me. Got bored of repetitive gameplay very fast.

Advertisement