Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What AAA series of games can you not get into

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Destiny: Can't quite put my finger on what puts me off it. I think part of it was my own expectations of a Halo 2.0 from bungie. I also thought the fact that they released an introduction under the guise of a game originally was a big factor but having bought the complete edition recently I still can't get into it. Maybe it's the fact that my contributions to the score in multiplayer don't seem to actually have any impact on the outcome of the game.

Destiny really comes into its own when your playing in the clan etc doing raids :D
    Taltos wrote: »
    Destiny - demo was enough for me. Didn't feel like it even scratched the surface of the worst of the handsome jack collection

You should actually try it now :P
    Ass creed - Tried 1 and 3. Both times just did not clicked with me. Got bored of repetitive gameplay very fast.

I could never ever get into Assassins Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

astonaidan wrote: »
    Modern day PES: It lost its mojoe
    Have you tried this years one? Streets ahead of the last gen iterations of PES and FIFA post-2012.

For me it would have to be Fallout 3, I played it after I played New Vegas (which really impressed me, loved it) and I was just bored. Wasn't as fun, colourful or immersive as what I was used to from Fallout NV.

Can't stand turn-based games, I love my Vita and I tried so desperately hard to like what would be considered it's very best game - Persona 4 Golden - but I just couldn't get it. Same goes for Chrono Trigger, the popular Final Fantasy's, and the likes; gave them a go and it just wasn't for me.

Current-gen FIFA. Absolute gash. Stuck with FIFA 15 for the year, there's very little game there, the presentation and animations are all very impressive, but just couldn't abide it any longer with 16. 15 was bad, but with what little changes they made for 16, it's worse.
    It's essentially The Sky Sports Experience now, it's now so far from the soccer sim that FIFA 12 was it's incredible. Such a regression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Nailz wrote: »
    Have you tried this years one? Streets ahead of the last gen iterations of PES and FIFA post-2012.

For me it would have to be Fallout 3, I played it after I played New Vegas (which really impressed me, loved it) and I was just bored. Wasn't as fun, colourful or immersive as what I was used to from Fallout NV.

Can't stand turn-based games, I love my Vita and I tried so desperately hard to like what would be considered it's very best game - Persona 4 Golden - but I just couldn't get it. Same goes for Chrono Trigger, the popular Final Fantasy's, and the likes; gave them a go and it just wasn't for me.

Current-gen FIFA. Absolute gash. Stuck with FIFA 15 for the year, there's very little game there, the presentation and animations are all very impressive, but just couldn't abide it any longer with 16. 15 was bad, but with what little changes they made for 16, it's worse.
    It's essentially The Sky Sports Experience now, it's now so far from the soccer sim that FIFA 12 was it's incredible. Such a regression.

Yeah tried this years, meh
    Like I know guys who love it, I just dont

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Far Cry 2+3+4 - awful rubbish.
    Skyrim - Boring after a while
    GTA - Just cannot get into it...

I loved original games like Deus Ex which allowed me tonnes of different ways of playing the game..but I find games like Far Cry and Skyrim etc too boring and monotonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Nathan Drake Collection, its just tedious and the shooting/combat is shít (ive only played half the first one)
    Call of Duty, It just looks the same game every november.
    Zelda, its on nintendo and im not buying a nintendo.
    Final Fantasy, I hate turn based combat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Metal gear phantom pain
    Thought it was one of the ****est games I ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

The Witcher 3. - Can't seem to get into it. I don't like the potions, crafting and upgrading pieces of kit bit by bit aspect of it. Obviously not a fault of the game as this is the genre of it.
    The game looks great though.

RebelSoul wrote: »
    The Witcher 3. - Can't seem to get into it. I don't like the potions, crafting and upgrading pieces of kit bit by bit aspect of it. Obviously not a fault of the game as this is the genre of it.
    The game looks great though.

I can't say I liked any of the stuff you mentioned but it was my GOTY. The characters and the brutal world is what sold me. I definitely played it in "casual" mode.

Mass Effect. I tried the first and second one. The combat is so, so boring. I cannot stand cover based shooters. Corridors full of waist high walls and boxes. Same thing over and over. Not a single weapon felt satisfying. The story itself wasn't the worst but I just couldn't get through it with the chore-like combat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The Arkham series

GTA V

CoD

Assassins Creed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

God of War series. To me it's just mindless hack and slash with some boss fights thrown in. I don't see the appeal of the series at all. Played about half of the first game and demos of the others, just not doing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Devil May Cry games.

I blame the fact I legitimately got a f**king repetitive strain injury in my hand trying to play the 3rd game of that s**t

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Never gave Gears of War a chance but I do own the first three :)

Haven't played GTA since GTA2

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Never gave Gears of War a chance but I do own the first three :)

Haven't played GTA since GTA2

Jez I'd say you owe it to yourself to play 3 and Vice City but given their age and the amount of sandbox games and imitations you have likely played over the years they wouldn't have as big an impact on you as playing them on release. GTA 3 when it came out was a revelation to me. I'd never played anything like it. One of I'd say 4 or 5 games that has had that kind of impact on me over 25 years gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Metal gear phantom pain
    Thought it was one of the ****est games I ever played

As a metal gear fanatic I completely agree with you. It's was chronic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

GerB40 wrote: »
    As a metal gear fanatic I completely agree with you. It's was chronic

So you both played Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 , 3 Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 4 ?

If you did...well then you kind of 'got into' the series in a big way, and completely missed the point of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So you both played Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 , 3 Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 4 ?

If you did...well then you kind of 'got into' the series in a big way, and completely missed the point of the thread.

I think the first guy was saying he played Phantom Pain and thought it was shíte - he never said he played any of the others - and the GerB40 was just saying that as someone who enjoyed the MGS series he too thought it was shíte. Are people not allowed to discuss stuff like that on this thread?

For me, it's probably Mass Effect. I bought the third one and tried playing it and thought it was pretty terrible. I figured it must have been because I hadn't played the other two and ended starting from the start. Playing 5 or 6 hours of it and just not getting into it at all. Now the whole trilogy is taunting me, laughing at the foolishness of my spendthrift ways.

Bought Fallout 3 and Fallout: NV and tried several times to get into them but I can't enjoy them no matter how many times I try to fool myself into thinking I'm having a good time playing them. Thankfully, they only cost me €3 each in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

All these have been mentioned already

Dark Souls: Do not get the appeal at all.

Halo: I've played them all, but the storyline is beyond my comprehension. Playing 5 at the moment, and I've literally no idea what I'm doing or why. The learning curve for the multiplayer is a big turnoff too, can barely get a kill.

Borderlands: All the looting and seemingly thousands of weapon variations turns me off completely.

Any turn based game: Just seems like such an outdated game mechanic.

Forza games: Look great, but find the racing very sterile.

Hitman: Spend my time wandering around, looking for the objective.

Assassins Creed: Thought number 2 was one of the best games I've played, but there's just too many of them at this stage. Played a bit of Black Flag. Were the controls always this atrocious?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I never got into Zelda.

Never had a Nintendo system, and when I got a lend of you...I didn't like it...even back in the day with Ocarina of Time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

SeantheMan wrote:

Nope just got tricked with all the game of the year reviews.

I just don't get it at all. It was awkward to control, story was all over the place, open world felt empty almost like the first open world sandbox games.

Don't get me wrong graphics were amazing soundtrack was good, weather effects were brilliant.

Just gameplay was dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Minecraft.

Don't see the attraction for several hundred hours of digging blocks then making something with them. Just seems completely dull.

Minecraft.

Don't see the attraction for several hundred hours of digging blocks then making something with them. Just seems completely dull.

It epitomises why I don't like open world games. I want a linear narrative to direct me.

I'm reading your comments and here's more games I just Do. Not. Give. A. F**k. About

Metal Gear Series
    Dark Souls Series
    Minecraft
    Final Fantasy Series

But you know what I love..... Turn Based Strategy game :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm reading your comments and here's more games I just Do. Not. Give. A. F**k. About

Metal Gear Series
    Dark Souls Series
    Minecraft
    Final Fantasy Series

But you know what I love..... Turn Based Strategy game :p

Metal Gear - Agree
    Dark Souls - I'm divided on this, as annoying as it was I will go back and complete them.
    Minecraft - Agree
    Final Fantasy - Disagree......... now either play them all and love them or just leave already :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Halo
    Assasins Creed
    The Witcher

Kind of similar for all three - didnt get 'into' the 'world' or didnt care for the mechanics/ storyline/ characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Dark Souls
    Borderlands ( i tried twice to get into it)

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Dark Souls - I'm divided on this, as annoying as it was I will go back and complete them.

I've never played a Dark Souls game.
    Who has turned me off the the Dark Souls games I hear you ask?
    Dark Souls Fans.

I have no interest in getting my a$$ handed to me over and over and over until I learn how to play ball.
    I'm not masochistic enough for that.
    People can wax lyrical all they want about "Oh it doesn't hold your hand, it's tutorial is it killing you over and over, you just don't get it" all they want.

I could not give a toss.
    Dark Souls fans have made me not want to play it by pushing it too hard.

It's like if someone asked me if Destiny was any good.
    I'd be like "Yeah, pick it up cheap and play it for a few days and see what you think, it's not for everybody"
    As opposed to "Well you need to set aside at least 4 days a week for it for X, Y and Z reasons, if you don't intend on investing 600+ hours a year, don't even bother"
    That's a good way to turn people away from a franchise.

Thing is I don't actually resent Dark Souls as a game series.
    Final Fantasy - Disagree......... now either play them all and love them or just leave already :P

I grew up as a Nintendo player until I got a PS3 about 8 years ago.
    The hysteria past me by.
    Same as other posters feel about Zelda not being interesting.
    We had Zelda on Nintendo, my friends had FF7/8 etc on PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dark Souls for me is just like any old arcade game. Hard but therefore rewarding when you progress.

Never played it all that often though as, like with arcade games, you will die a lot, but I appreciate it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Unchartered got a lend of all but the 4th and struggled to make any headway into them.

Controls are clunky for a 3rd person game shooting/jumping game.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Unchartered got a lend of all but the 4th and struggled to make any headway into them.

Controls are clunky for a 3rd person game shooting/jumping game.

Not to go off Topic, but if you Started with the 1st game it's a total turn off.

2 and 3 are much better and more enjoyable.

My sister is mad into the 2 most recent tomb raider games now after completely dismissing the Uncharted series before as the only one she played was 1.

It's kind of funny cause I was like "Ummmm the have kind of just ripped off Uncharted" - But this was after 2 had come out

There is really no story continuity, you can play them in whatever order, it's not like Mass Effect

Advertisement