Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of James Bond

Options

Comments

Joe Dog wrote: »
    James Bond is one of the worlds iconic fictional characters changing the race or gender of the character to keep snowflakes happy and be trendy would be ridiculous and just another symptom of the ridiculous turn modern culture has taken.

Whatever about changing the characters race (which would be more tolerable of the 2) changing his gender would basically destroy the character as he an unashamedly male character.

If you don't like the fact that he's a white man that's fine don't read the books or watch the films if that is the case.

It'll happen. Both eventualities are inevitable. Maybe even at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It'll happen. Both eventualities are inevitable. Maybe even at once!

It would be a ratings disaster. Ghostbusters did it and that was a complete flop.
    Oceans are doing their female only version and the trailer looks more like a shopping trip than anything serious yet women will say it’s blah blah empowering not realizing it’s still stereotyping them.
    Besides 8 women in the same place and are apparently organized enough to carry out a robbery?
    Rubbish, at least 3 of them will fall out with each other and the 8 will splinter off into 3 groups all bitching about each other, then when they do make up they’ll realize they’re just a tiny bit late to carry it out..by about three hours.

Give henry cavill the gig

Go back to humorous womanizing

He’d be brilliant, he was fantastic in Man from Uncle.
    Dump the Superman movies , they’re rubbish anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Blazer wrote: »
    He’d be brilliant, he was fantastic in Man from Uncle.
    Dump the Superman movies , they’re rubbish anyway

I think he was in for bond before?

I think he was in for bond before?

That was Clive Owen i think.
    Another great actor who would have been a brilliant Bond. But they decided to go the Bourne identity and make it more hardcore. Unfortunately they forgot to do the same for the villains making them some of the worst Bonds to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Blazer wrote: »
    That was Clive Owen i think.
    Another great actor who would have been a brilliant Bond. But they decided to go the Bourne identity and make it more hardcore. Unfortunately they forgot to do the same for the villains making them some of the worst Bonds to date.

I think cavil auditioned in 2005 for the role.. Remember him on about it on the Graham Norton show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

How about John Connors as 007 ?

Bond needs to be more PC and what better way than to bring someone in from an "ethnic minority".

Patrick-4.jpg

Dr Brown wrote: »

Bond needs to be more PC and what better way than to bring someone in from an "ethnic minority".

Patrick-4.jpg

It would have to subtitled of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Dr Brown wrote: »

Patrick-4.jpg

Ethnic minority and plus sized. How progressive and body positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Danny Boyle is out.

Danny Boyle Exits As Bond 25 Director Amid Creative Differences
    Danny Boyle, who had been set as director of the next installment of the James Bond franchise, is leaving the production, producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said today on Twitter.

It’s unclear how this might impact the distribution plans of the latest in the 007 franchise. New U.S. co-distributors MGM and Annapurna had already set a November 8, 2019 release date for the pic, which will bow first on October 25, 2019 in the UK as part of Universal’s new international and home entertainment rights deal.

Craig is back for his fifth film as 007, with a script that Boyle’s Trainspotting partner John Hodge wrote based on an idea by Boyle.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/danny-boyle-out-bond-25-director-creative-differences-1202449330/
    Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25.

https://twitter.com/007/status/1031951674544476160

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Danny Boyle out. ‘Creative differences’. Rarely a positive creative sign when producers and a star win out over a director.

https://twitter.com/007/status/1031951674544476160?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yeah, could see this falling apart fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

This could be the end of Craig as Bond.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that went well. Danny Boyle was about the only reason my interest was piqued in the first place, big own goal to lose him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭kerplun k

There’s more to this story.
    My guess is that Craig was dropped in favor of Idris Elba. His price would be a fraction of what they agreed to pay Craig so Eon decided to go with the cheaper option and Danny Boyle wasn’t having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

kerplun k wrote: »
    There’s more to this story. I’d say Craig was dropped in favor of Idris Elba.

Unless they can keep to the existing schedule he's likely gone, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

If they cast Elba or some other actor that's just pure tokenism I'll be avoiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Unless they can keep to the existing schedule he's likely gone, imo.

Apologies, I posted that before finishing. I think Craig is gone, and that’s the reason Boyle is gone..... just a guess, I could be wrong here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Craig must have been promised a truly obscene amount of money to have even considered staying on, considering how vocal he was against the franchise after Spectre. If true and he's out too, it's further farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

If they cast Elba or some other actor that's just pure tokenism I'll be avoiding it.

He would be a good bond. What tokenism are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

kerplun k wrote: »
    Apologies, I posted that before finishing. I think Craig is gone, and that’s the reason Boyle is gone..... just a guess, I could be wrong here.

Strange, my post contains the updated post (although I'd not seen it when posting), but your quote of mine is the former 😏

But don't think it'd be Idris, even if we do live in the PC age.

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Because in a franchise about a fictional character that's designed to promote watches and high class suits, apparently having a black James Bond ruins the authenticity ... somehow. Fine to have a man that looks like a bouncer / boxer play a gentleman spy, but heaven forfend the actor's skin too dark. Oh there's usually then something about Jane Bond, rhubarb rhubarb :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't see why this means Craig is gone. If they have a script and this was just a dispute over Boyle thinking he could direct all the film himself, then they can get one of the GOT or Sherlock directors or something and be back on schedule within a month. If the problem is the script, then they can just pull in Wade and Purvis who can throw something together in a few weeks. I was just listening to Chris McQuarrie proudly talking about how he was making up the plot to M:I6 as he went along. The last several Bond films had terrible scripts anyway. The action scenes would be written by now and they are directed by second unit so a change in director would have little effect on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm sure this has noting to do with Craig.

When I heard Danny Boyle was directing the next Bond I was like say what? I didn't think he was suitable from the beginning and I'm glad he's gone. It's funny cause I had a feeling from the beginning he'd try to do something 'different' with it...and I bet he tried, and now he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭viper5

MayoSalmon wrote: »

The same tokenism as if Craig played Black Panther in the next marvel movie .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

viper5 wrote: »
    The same tokenism as if Craig played Black Panther in the next marvel movie .

So James Bond has to be a straight white middle aged British male, anything else is tokenism is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

pixelburp wrote: »
    Because in a franchise about a fictional character that's designed to promote watches and high class suits, apparently having a black James Bond ruins the authenticity ... somehow. Fine to have a man that looks like a bouncer / boxer play a gentleman spy, but heaven forfend the actor's skin too dark. Oh there's usually then something about Jane Bond, rhubarb rhubarb :D

I don't mind Ilba being Bond. . I think the problem isn't that with most people either, its more that we are in an age where studios are shoe horning in politically correct actors/actresses to show how progressive they are and its nauseating and it seldom adds to an already existant world. Can you think of a franchise where either characters were made female or a different race and it complimented the original material ?

They could just as easily make Bond a woman. Why would people have an issue with it ? Because we have all grown up as it being James Bond, not Jamie Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I was about to say if they had cast a black Bond, they’d be blamed for Boyle pulling out. And sure enough they didn’t have to actually cast a black bond for the blame to be levelled at black bond.

There was similar outrage about casting Craig as a blond Bond. ‘Sure you can’t have a blond Bond’. But obviously everyone forgot about that when the movies themselves were good.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don't mind Ilba being Bond. . I think the problem isn't that with most people either, its more that we are in an age where studios are shoe horning in politically correct actors/actresses to show how progressive they are and its nauseating and it seldom adds to an already existant world. Can you think of a franchise where either characters were made female or a different race and it complimented the original material ?

They could just as easily make Bond a woman. Why would people have an issue with it ? Because we have all grown up as it being James Bond, not Jamie Bond.

So what if it's "political correct"? In all the time I've seen that term thrown around I've never once seen a single coherent explanation of why this is somehow, explicitly a bad thing. What precise thing leaves people the lesser for just switching Bonds race.

And the comparison in another post about Black Panther doesn't track, considering that film was explicitly ABOUT black Africa(ns),l and cooonialism, race was integral to the story. The James Bond franchise is about product placement. Let's be brutally honest here - there is no story, no arc, no characterisation, just wish fulfillment by way of a 90 minute advert for Sony, Tom Ford et al...

Advertisement