Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 under 21 hurling championship

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Deise2016 wrote: »
    Jelousy of some people towards Gleeson amazes me.

If that had been a Tipp player or another Waterford player it wouldn't have bothered you.

Austin Gleeson is one of the best most exciting hurlers around and you want him sent off?

He didn't punch Josh Keane in the head.

He gave him little tap, stupid yes, but still a little tap and Keane jumped on the floor in an effort to have Gleeson sent off.

Is that the route we want hurling to go down?

Where players roll around on the ground like Ronaldo to try and have players sent off.

Ref should have carded Keane for diving.

Ah now in fairness he did strike him with a clenched fist. It may not have been a full blown haymaker but it was certainly a red card.

No doubt he's a great talent but he does have that side to his game and I don't think it does him any favours for people to be indulging and excusing him. Otherwise it will eventually cost Waterford in a big game and then the same people that were making excuses for him will come down on him like a ton of bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What format is the b and c under 21 championships ???

A 16 team open draw knock out tournament is the way to go for the under 21

8 team b championship
    8 team c championship

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

PTH2009 wrote: »

I think it is an open draw going by the fixtures on the GAA website.

All-Ireland U21B Championship - Richie McElligott Cup

Quarter-Finals:
    Meath v Wicklow
    Kildare v Mayo
    Kerry v Donegal
    Roscommon v Armagh

All-Ireland U21C Championship - Andrew O Neill Cup

Donegal are 2016 champions (and so get to play in the 2016 B Championship also?).

The Quarter-finals were:
    Cavan v Sligo
    Louth v Monaghan
    Donegal v Tyrone
    Longford v Fermanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

The value of giving all teams roughly the same amount of games, within 1-2 games anyway, is even more important at development grades such as u21 and minor, its absolute madness that, for example, Cork minor hurlers lost 1 game to tipp and are out of the championship since June while Limerick, who also lost 1 game to tipp, are still playing end of July.
    You hear talk of 21s being great entertainment cos its knock out, it should be about counties developing a line of talent rather than entertainment (obviously you can do both, but entertainment is the only rationale at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

And galway in the meantime still haven't played at all. It's a crazy system altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

A 16 team open draw knock out tournament is the way to go for the under 21

8 team b championship
    8 team c championship

You couldn't run a 16 team knock out IMO. It would have to 10 teams or less. A lot of u21 players would be worn out as many of them are playing senior or on the fringes of the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Why do you think the provincial system is valued by the 4 you mentioned. I have no clue when one of them last won the "consolation prize" in any grade in hurling but I'm fairly certainly it wasn't in my life time.

MH Meath 1929
    Club: Mount Leinster Rangers, Carlow
    SH Laois 1949
    Westmeath came close in 1937, and we could be including Offaly if they hadn't pulled off the miracle of the 20th century.

Of course football would produce a longer list.

There is a way to have your open draw while preserving the provincials, but it would be labourious to explain it here.

It's not much consolation to them if they never win the bloody thing.

They've a better chance of winning it than they have of winning the All-Ireland. Westmeath weren't that far from pulling off the Leinster under21 this year.

If Clare hadn't won Liam McCarthy in the 1990s they would have been damn glad of one or two Munster titles.

Double header in Thurles for the semis I'm guessing Waterford vs Antrim- 4.15pm and
    Galway vs Dublin- 6.00pm

Small enough crowd I'd say, Dublin fans don't tend to travel in there droves for hurling, Waterford and Galway fans may be in small numbers depending on senior results/form of opposition etc and it's a bit of a trek for Antrim supporters

Waterford supporters have helped the thurles economy a lot dis year anyway lol. (3x for the league, 2x senior championship and now the under 21)

Ah now in fairness he did strike him with a clenched fist. It may not have been a full blown haymaker but it was certainly a red card.

I agree entirely. He was very lucky to get away with it. Otherwise we would have been deprived of what was probably the greatest under-21 performance of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

feargale wrote: »
    I agree entirely. He was very lucky to get away with it. Otherwise we would have been deprived of what was probably the greatest under-21 performance of the year.

Second half yes, first half there was three points scored off him from play and the red card incident, his second I might add in the space of a fortnight against Tipp.

It's not much consolation to them if they never win the bloody thing.

Ok. Rather than drag this thread too much off topic I've opened a new thread titled "Open Draw and Provincials reconciled."
    All your contributions will be welcome.

We have 7 senior panelists in the under 21 squad. 5 of them are already established senior players with Mikey Kearney and Stephen Bennett still developing into senior players.

Going by yesterday Galway have 2 senior panelists on there under 21 squad.

Dublin actually have 9 players on there senior panel who are part of the under 21 squad

Not sure about Antrim but i imagine they have a few senior panelists too

Everything is pointing towards a Waterford vs Dublin final. Dublin should have enough for Galway (who will be playing there first game of the year in the grade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

We have 7 senior panelists in the under 21 squad. 5 of them are already established senior players with Mikey Kearney and Stephen Bennett still developing into senior players.

Going by yesterday Galway have 2 senior panelists on there under 21 squad.

Dublin actually have 9 players on there senior panel who are part of the under 21 squad

Not sure about Antrim but i imagine they have a few senior panelists too

Everything is pointing towards a Waterford vs Dublin final. Dublin should have enough for Galway (who will be playing there first game of the year in the grade

Maybe, but good money can often be made backing against Dublin in c'ship fixtures, particularly at underage. Galway have heaps of good underage hurlers, blooded in a proper domestic championship. Dismiss them at your peril.

MfMan wrote: »
    Maybe, but good money can often be made backing against Dublin in c'ship fixtures, particularly at underage. Galway have heaps of good underage hurlers, blooded in a proper domestic championship. Dismiss them at your peril.

Going to put a bit on a Galway win. Matches not up on PP yet

Advertisement