Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this how bad things have gotten?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I feel awful for anyone looking to rent at the moment. And have no idea how families manage to rent family homes, the rents seem to be sometimes in excess of what the mortgage would be

For an apartment, you can add on service charges and also property tax. A three bed in the city center will be about 2000 SC per year, with 250/300 on PT.

Then there is furnishing and maintenance. White goods last 3 to 5 years generally. If you pay for quality you might get 10 years - longer for carpets and couches etc.

All totted up, the costs of ownership aren't much less than current rent levels. The problem is that take home pay isn't increasing in tandem with housing costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

April 73 wrote: »
    That is utterly depressing. If I had to pay €1000 a month for that I would cry.
    What's also depressing is that it's had 1571 views in less than two days.

Maybe all the vews are from Boardsie look at it for a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It looks incredibly desperate up in Dublin.

The 3 cities outside the capital are going that way too. Lack of supply of good quality apartments to let.

Rents in Limerick are above €1000 now for alot of places. My 2 bed apartment would prob go for €950 on the next lease. I'm currently paying 750 and its 10 min walk to town. Its a no brainer for many to buy a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

As of Apr 16 there are 888 families 'homeless' in Dublin:

http://www.homelessdublin.ie/homeless-families

There are currently 1.5k 2+ bedroom units available for rent outside of Dublin with a monthly rent of less than €1k a month.

It must be the Syrian refugees that are the problem!

I'd imagine those 1.5k units would be in demand already from the 2.5m people outside Dublin?
    Also, to live outside Dublin in many instances you need a car and it would very difficult to buy and run a car on 188e a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

zef wrote: »
    I'd imagine those 1.5k units would be in demand already from the 2.5m people outside Dublin?
    Also, to live outside Dublin in many instances you need a car and it would very difficult to buy and run a car on 188e a week.

Plenty of nice cars outside the new modular housing in Poppintree...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

zef wrote: »

Can you inform me how many of those properties require a car?

Just so we can make the same comparison to Dublin. Apply the same criteria to Daft on Dublin and you get 6 properties. What's your point now?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Have to say the OP's highlighted case is actually quite decent & neat for a single middle-aged professional not looking to settle down with any minions. Price is prickely but seems appropriate for the central location. Plus the location is quite attractive so what would you want to be doing at home other than heating a tin of beans & washing when there's a whole city to call your lounge for entertainment?
    However, as usual, the snubs sense of self entitlement is appalling calling this inadequate. Try living on a 40ft boat & you'll appreciate finite spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If tenants want cheaper retour the government will have to provide better protection to landlords. For one been able to et rid of tenants within two months who dont pay, damage property or are particating in any social behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

I have deleted a number of posts referring to new arrivals. This forum is not a place to discuss national immigration policy. Any further references will attract sanctions. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Here's my experience of trying to get shared accommodation in Dublin.
    I've been looking on and off for 10months now, viewed approx 10-11 places, said 'yes' to 4 of them and am still living with the parents.
    I dont think Im particularly fussy with my requirements - an en-suite, sharing with no more than two others, within 5-6mins of the M50 around Dublin (I drive across Leinster for work). I'm willing to pay up to €600 for the en-suite.

But there are 'road blocks' being put up by landlords that put nice places out of reach, such as:
    - women only
    - Monday to Friday only
    - 6 months only
    Obviously, the landlord is entitled to make their own conditions but it is frustrating when a place ticks nearly all the boxes and then :(.
    Other turn offs are 'sharing with a lovely family with kids' (been there, done that, never again) or my favourite one is when its listed as en-suite double room and the small print says 'exclusive use of the main bathroom' - THAT IS NOT AN EN-SUITE MATE!!! One place I looked at last week, it advertised two rooms available - one en-suite and one standard. I said Im interested in the en-suite (by email). I turn up and the en-suite was taken the week before. I was furious!
    This process was a lot easier pre-crash of 2008. I viewed a place, I said yes and they were happy to take me. Thats all changed now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Here's my experience of trying to get shared accommodation in Dublin.
    I've been looking on and off for 10months now, viewed approx 10-11 places, said 'yes' to 4 of them and am still living with the parents.
    I dont think Im particularly fussy with my requirements - an en-suite, sharing with no more than two others, within 5-6mins of the M50 around Dublin (I drive across Leinster for work). I'm willing to pay up to €600 for the en-suite.

But there are 'road blocks' being put up by landlords that put nice places out of reach, such as:
    - women only
    - Monday to Friday only
    - 6 months only
    Obviously, the landlord is entitled to make their own conditions but it is frustrating when a place ticks nearly all the boxes and then :(.
    Other turn offs are 'sharing with a lovely family with kids' (been there, done that, never again) or my favourite one is when its listed as en-suite double room and the small print says 'exclusive use of the main bathroom' - THAT IS NOT AN EN-SUITE MATE!!! One place I looked at last week, it advertised two rooms available - one en-suite and one standard. I said Im interested in the en-suite (by email). I turn up and the en-suite was taken the week before. I was furious!
    This process was a lot easier pre-crash of 2008. I viewed a place, I said yes and they were happy to take me. Thats all changed now.

You might disagree. But immediately expecting an ensuite is fussy IMO. There are homes selling for over 1 million in Dublin with just a main bathroom and maybe under the stairs converted to a toilet and sink. En suite are not the norm at all. I imagine 95-98% of bedrooms in Dublin dont have an ensuite.

If you want an ensuite, you will have to up your budget as they are not the norm especially at €600 pm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I dont think Im particularly fussy with my requirements - an en-suite

There's your problem. In most house shares, the owner or the housemate that's been there the longest gets the en-suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

The city centre ... which on ? you can rent 3 bed houses in the country side in ireland for 400 euro. its all about location
    Agreed with last post. There are lots of houses and apt outside of Dublin if people want to rent and rent cheaply. Houses can be rented for 350 /400 euro. Just people are fussy and want the tax payer to pay for a house beside their family or friends. If they really wanted a home they would move. Im talking here about the welfare cases who have no interest or desire to work

Once again, could you please supply some links to these fictitious dwellings that you keep on spinning about? any at all?

REXER wrote: »
    Once again, could you please supply some links to these fictitious dwellings that you keep on spinning about? any at all?

http://www.daft.ie/21646922

1 hr 40 mins by train from Dublin Connolly.

All the main services and facilities as in Dublin.

Don't have to live in a hotel or be 'homeless'.

Other Irish citizens have moved thousands of miles for jobs/homes.

What's the issue with the above for the Irish citizens 'homeless' in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

No pictures of the back garden. Probably not big enough to fit a trampoline so.

That is 700, not 300 - 400 as stated in the post I quoted. Or did you think that it was 300 + 400? :D

That is 700, not 300 - 400 as stated in the post I quoted. Or did you think that it was 300 + 400? :D

The amount is irrelevant as it is below the threshold.

There are examples of much cheaper in smaller towns in Longford. I suggest you educate yourself on these as your numerical comprehension seems fine

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

it actually doesnt look to bad

Its a shoe box ffs. I really can't believe people are defending this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

My issue is with standards around quality , my experience almost unanimously in Dublin is poorly heated , poorly ventilated apartments resulting in mold and build ups of damp, import to point out i have lived mostly in newer apartment blocks none built later than the 90's. Furnishings provided should be of some reasonable quality not crap picked up from a skip or charity shop , appliances should also be in good working order.

Absolutely true, however students and contractual workers are the main demographic LL's have to appease who are typically short term 6 - 12 month tenants who wouldn't be in a position to purchase furnishings of their own let alone know where to hire them unfortunately. Then again donedeal & adverts.ie were setup to solve that very conundrum.
    When it boils down to the self entitlement it's just people being very tight with their cash.

snubbleste wrote:
    There's been worse. This was highlighted three years ago, charging €500pm for a 'studio' on the South Circular Road. Cooker & kitchen under the bed, y'know in case the heater surrounded by wood is not warm enough

What's wrong with that? It's being completely ergonomic!
    George Clarke would be very impressed with that ingenuity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Noo wrote: »
    Exactly, these types of unit blocks are popping up everywhere. Demolish two houses and build something like this, in city these will be high rise, in residential areas they may only be 3-5 stories. My own apartment building is only 2 stories with total of 6 units, built on land where there was one, maybe two houses previously. Doesnt look out of place with the houses next door. There is gonna be a big surplus of rental properties here in the next few year as this type of building continues, which will mean even lower rent i hope (not that im complaining about mine). Just not common in ireland and i cant see it taking off.

The Irish and British situation tends to be that basically everything in the city centre is close enough to to being a protected structure. You'd never get planning to demolish 18th, 19th or early 20th century stuff.

We need medium rise, good quality apartments though. They were done in the 1970s and there are some examples. I lived in one in D4 which was a 1970s era self contained block 4 stories with 4 large apartments per floor. They had a really decent size living room, two bedrooms and a separate kitchen.

Sadly, a lot of landlords had turned the ensuite master bedroom into a "studio" by splitting the hall and putting in a second door and adding a tiny kitchen...

Basically the problem in Ireland is small time landlords rather than investment by groups, funds or commercial outfits in serious accommodation.

Remember 1 in 5 TDs is a landlord and you'll rapidly see why Irish housing policy is all about careering to small time speculators rather than actually providing decent quality of life.

It's a total disgrace and it will choke economic development, especially in Dublin,

Lack of density is also causing massive commute times and serious environmental damage but as long as buy to let speculators (the FF/FG constituency) are kept sweet, they simply do not care.

The amount is irrelevant as it is below the threshold.

There are examples of much cheaper in smaller towns in Longford. I suggest you educate yourself on these as your numerical comprehension seems fine

The amount is totally relevant as it has been rolled out by the poster I quoted several times!

I have asked the poster to back up their statement that these dwelling were available but thus far nothing!

On the Longford property, 700 + 500 or more a month for the commute to Dublin if that is where they work along with at least 4hrs travel time takes the shine off of that Gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Why does everyone think that the same category of apartment is of the same value as all others in that category.

eg all one bed should cost the same.

If its a kip it will be one price.
    If the same apartment a few blocks away with a high standard of fininsh was available at the same time then you would pay a lot more for it. There is a market for each.

eg
    I have two apartments right next door to each other.
    One has been decorated to a much higher standard recently.
    This brings in 25% more than the other exact same apartment next door that I havent got around to painting and changing the flooring, furniture and kitchen etc in it yet.

They are priced according to the standard, even though they are exactly the same buildings.

12Phase wrote:
    Basically the problem in Ireland is small time landlords rather than investment by groups, funds or commercial outfits in serious accommodation.
    True but we've seen in other threads how these investment groups are becoming the new villain in this story, particularly when they buy up "vast amounts of NAMA assets" because the small-timer can't get in with the big boys clubhouse.
    12Phase wrote:
    We need medium rise, good quality apartments though. They were done in the 1970s and there are some examples. I lived in one in D4 which was a 1970s era self contained block 4 stories with 4 large apartments per floor. They had a really decent size living room, two bedrooms and a separate kitchen.
    +1 we've seen the successes of the Ballymun and Dundrum town centre rejuvenation project. Sadly it's funding for the necessary services that are hampering the prospects there now.

I'm against the levels of urban sprawl we've seen over the past 20years, it's time to re-examine the land usage in our towns and cities before further consuming good producing land.
    12Phase wrote:
    Lack of density is also causing massive commute times and serious environmental damage but as long as buy to let speculators (the FF/FG constituency) are kept sweet, they simply do not care.

You were doing so well up until you went politically bias but ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Investment groups are only the villain where they've been vulture capital funds that have come in to clean up (in more ways than one). Very, very little here was built on the basis of a developer managing and renting property long term.

Also since when is it "political bias" to strongly object to the housing policies of two centre right political parties ?!?!

Yes I'm politically biased in so far as FF and FG have made an absolute dog's dinner of Irish housing policy for at least 60 years.
    This isn't a short term policy issue that's just recently come about. Ireland seems to lurch from one housing crisis to another. It has planning that is probably amongst the worst in the developed world and one of the lowest levels of urbanisation in the OECD.

So, yes I'm very biased, if by bias you mean having an objective opinion!!

Very very true indeed about the long-term investments and the failing of our long-term planning & foresight.
    12Phase wrote:
    Also since when is it "political bias" to strongly object to the housing policies of two centre right political parties ?!?!
    Yes I'm politically biased in so far as FF and FG have made an absolute dog's dinner of Irish housing policy for at least 60 years. This isn't a short term policy issue that's just recently come about. Ireland seems to lurch from one housing crisis to another. It has planning that is probably amongst the worst in the developed world and one of the lowest levels of urbanisation in the OECD.
    So, yes I'm very biased, if by bias you mean having an objective opinion!!
    I'm not saying your wrong about the politics, far from it, I'd be more of an opinion that all of them had a hand to play in the culmination of the whole housing fiasco equally one way or another. Basically due to the fact every one of them have been on council committees throughout the country shaping our dynamic and spacial planning management.
    Anyway not to turn this to a political party debate although then again planning has an important role to play and whoever's at the helm at the time needs to ensure that it is properly carried out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

http://www.businesspost.ie/tax-empty-homes-to-end-housing-supply-crisis-says-quango/

TEN TIMES the level of vacant property than that of other countries, how does that happen?

Theres a site called daft.ie . Lots on there if you want to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm presuming here you are referring to people dependent on welfare. Different county councils have different rent allowances. Longford county council would not give enough to rent the house you linked.
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiPucmIle7MAhUiJcAKHXFNCzsQFggmMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.welfare.ie%2Fen%2FPages%2FMaximum-Rent-Limits-by-County.aspx&usg=AFQjCNEq8Oh5oPQcxNDSwV1jPhf0c0tF2Q&sig2=prqAUUmYY-dVvX8XKZS5zg

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Sure, move to Longford and have a 2hr+ commute every day :eek:

Perhaps difficult for working people but the homeless who claim social welfare payments and nothing else have no excuse

Advertisement