Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this how bad things have gotten?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Elemonator wrote: »
    1. As much as I sympathise with tenants, landlords are not a charity. They did not invest to give people homes, they invested to make money.

some very good points there. i realise our housing system isnt working for many including landlords. its a mess really. everybody is effectively getting squeezed here. its not working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

eezipc wrote: »
    Isn't it relative? For example, this studio apartment in Randwick in Sydney is $650 per week. That's quite a distance from the city centre. Thats about 418 per week. Isn't that even more expensive? The cheapest 1 bed I can see in Sydney is $400/ 250 a week.
    Brisbane is cheaper than Sydney but Sydney seems more expensive than Dublin. I used to live in Townsville, which would be cheaper again.
    Comparing Brisbane with Dublin is not really fair.

I wasnt tying to compare brisbane to dublin, i was trying to hightlight how disheartening it is for people who might be consodering returning to Ireland when looking at the rental situation where i currently am. Brisbane has about the same population as Dublin so it probably is the best for a comparison but there are so many other factors ro consider for a comparison. There are universities in the city here so student accommodation in also required as well as normal rentals. Wages are higher here too. The only obvious difference, which everyone knows is the cause of the issue in dublin, is supply and demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

1. As much as I sympathise with tenants, landlords are not a charity. They did not invest to give people homes, they invested to make money.

Not intended as an insensitive rant, but I feel these points are relevant to this thread, especially No. 2. Landlords shouldn't be a scapegoat for all problems.

No TD or politician is going to admit that it is failure of the Government. When you hear of a family living in a hotel. It is the LL's fault for upping the rent and the local TDs are generally blaming LL's too. But is really DCC's fault for not supplying enough social housing and deciding to leave it for private LL's to supply it.

You never hear of DCC being responsible for reducing the Dublin housing supply by banning thousands of pre-63s. But you can't open a paper most weeks without someone blaming LL's from removing houses from the long term rental market for Airbnb.

There is plenty of TD's with an obsession over former NAMA land lying idle after being sold. Generally developers are trying to go through the usual never ending planning process. Which takes a lot of time. Yet not of the same TD's have an issue with DCC having tons of vacant sites all over the city for the last 10 years

It is easier to blame the greedy developers and landlords, than the councillors in DCC. Most of whom couldn't run a stage at a car boot sale, never mind a local authority for over 500k people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Stacksey wrote: »

Jezz, I felt like a sardine when I looked at the photos of this abode. The bathroom needs something to be desired, I don't even think I could fit in it. It really is out of control to be charging €1,000 pm for that shoe-house. Your elbows would be in bits after living there for a week banging them on every part of the tiny space.

Terrible indeed regarding the cost of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Pogmothone wrote: »

I remember a boyfriend of mine renting something similar back in the early 90s. I also remember my sister sharing a bedsit in Rathmines with another girl in a room the size of an average bedroom - beds, sofa & small kitchenette all squeezed in there.
    That was the late 90s when students still queued in phone boxes, ringing LL's numbers from the back of the newspaper. One place she looked at had three beds in a room, tiny kitchenette & the shower was in a corner of the bedroom. Accomodation was in serious scare supply back then too, with even less regulation than there is now.

Supply is the biggest issue once again. Desperate people will rent desperate places.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jebus that bed doesn't even look to be long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I despair for the day when "Sure they're in it for the money" becomes an acceptable excuse for damaging people's lives.
    2. A lot of landlords bought at the height of the boom and have mortgages of 1400 plus per month, plus management fees (extortionate for what they actually provide these days) and on top of that all rents are taxed at 51%...so a landlord charging 1500 PCM after tax and expenses may very well have 700 to go against a mortgage. Landlords also lost the the option of off setting mortgage interest against tax relief. It went from 100% to 75%. So essentially you can be renting for more than the mortgage payment but you still pay tax on the full payment.

Lots of people overstretched themselves during the boom, nothing unique to landlords there. You can't blink for people who made financial decisions during the boom and regret those decisions now, and nowhere is this more stark than in property.
    3. There is also the issue of supply and demand. Simple economic theory that the government cannot seem to understand.

Supply and demand as a theory has more holes in it than a block of Edam cheese but you're right, at the core this is a supply issue. Landlords get away with charging whatever they want because there aren't enough competing properties forcing them to price competitively.

If there were more properties and more options for renters then landlords would have to lower prices to entice tenants to choose their property over others. As it is, tenants have to entice landlords to accept them as tenants because the buyer / supplier power relationship is wildly out of balance.
    4. Last time I was in London, I saw family 3 beds going for 2000-3500 pound sterling, contrary to the fact that landlords are vilified for having "the worst rents in Europe".

Anyone telling you with a straight face that Dublin is more expensive than London or Paris has never had to pay for anything in London or Paris.
    5. My whole family own properties that are leased out and the properties are very well looked after and a reasonable rent is charged. While some landlords will take advantage, there is a majority of people out there that wouldn't care to admit that if they knew they could get more money, they would charge it.

It's the landlords with like, 1 property that I've always had issues with. I've been renting for years now, in 5 different properties and I've had 2 total arsehole landlords, 2 reasonable / pleasant landlords and one that varied between the two but she was old so I won't be too hard on her.
    Not intended as an insensitive rant, but I feel these points are relevant to this thread, especially No. 2. Landlords shouldn't be a scapegoat for all problems.

To try to blame the current rental / homeless crisis on one factor alone is foolish. A big issue like this has multiple causes and pointing the finger in one direction will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That bed doesn't seem to have any support on the left hand side. Is it just attached to the wall with the ladder supporting it on the right hand side?

I can't see that staying secure for long. Wouldn't chance bringing anyone back to that. Could be more than the earth moving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Christ alive. The homemade bunk bed. Too cheap to even varnish it. Probably got the wood from a pallet. Would you be happy to sleep on that? Every time it creaked you'd think it was going to go. Let agreed, 700 a month.

Thats criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I dont necesserily agree with rent caps , i think thats fine landlords are not charitys at the end of the day for many this is theier livelihood and for other its a pension etc. so more power to them charging whater they can get , who among us honestly wouldnt ?

My issue is with standards around quality , my experience almost unanimously in Dublin is poorly heated , poorly ventilated apartments resulting in mold and build ups of damp, import to point out i have lived mostly in newer apartment blocks none built later than the 90's. Furnishings provided should be of some reasonable quality not crap picked up from a skip or charity shop , appliances should also be in good working order.

On the continent and particularly in Scandinavia it is common place to be able to rent unfurnished places , i think this would be a great option here as you could buy your own furniture of quality that meets your needs and bring it with you when you leave, Very few places here offer that. Landlords should also be responsible if asked to remove any furniture etc from the apartment and store it or junk it if the tenant does not want it.

My biggest issue with renting here is that you always feel like your living in someone else's house , with someone else's crappy second hand mismatched furniture , I find old used mattresses a particularly gross idea , its impossible for any rented place to ever feel homely are welcoming . I don't feel bitter about paying the money that is what it is , what really annoys me is the piss poor quality of the apartments and their furnishings that your having to pay so much for renting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Noo wrote: »
    eezipc wrote: »
    Isn't it relative? For example, this studio apartment in Randwick in Sydney is $650 per week. That's quite a distance from the city centre. Thats about 418 per week. Isn't that even more expensive? The cheapest 1 bed I can see in Sydney is $400/ 250 a week.
    Brisbane is cheaper than Sydney but Sydney seems more expensive than Dublin. I used to live in Townsville, which would be cheaper again.
    Comparing Brisbane with Dublin is not really fair.

I wasnt tying to compare brisbane to dublin, i was trying to hightlight how disheartening it is for people who might be consodering returning to Ireland when looking at the rental situation where i currently am. Brisbane has about the same population as Dublin so it probably is the best for a comparison but there are so many other factors ro consider for a comparison. There are universities in the city here so student accommodation in also required as well as normal rentals. Wages are higher here too. The only obvious difference, which everyone knows is the cause of the issue in dublin, is supply and demand.

I understand. Also that apartment the OP posted is more or less city centre. I've lived in Brisbane before and I can honestly say I would prefer to live in Dublin over Brisbane any day. (I'm not a Dub by the way).
    Someone earlier said you can rent a house in Ireland for less than 400. It's true: http://www.daft.ie/mayo/houses-for-rent/foxford/straide-foxford-mayo-1629683/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

That doesn't even comply with the regulations. It looks like there's a two ring hob. There should be 4. There should also be a fridge and freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

That is utterly depressing. Looks like it was a small enough bedroom in the house to begin with, completely bastardised to turn it into a one room studio.

Can't believe someone is paying €700 to live in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

syklops wrote: »
    Christ alive. The homemade bunk bed. Too cheap to even varnish it. Probably got the wood from a pallet. Would you be happy to sleep on that? Every time it creaked you'd think it was going to go. Let agreed, 700 a month.

Thats criminal.

"The kitchenette has all mod cons." also seems a bit rich for what looks like has 2 hot plates, microwave and a sink.

I knew things were bad, but that place is depressing.

I do love that a cooker, microwave, kettle and toaster are considered "mod cons"

No those are not modern conveniences, those are the bare minimum kitchen appliances.

Bathroom has "all mod cons" too, like running water and a mirror!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

JustShon wrote: »
    I do love that a cooker, microwave, kettle and toaster are considered "mod cons"

No those are not modern conveniences, those are the bare minimum kitchen appliances.

Bathroom has "all mod cons" too, like running water and a mirror!

you'll have to bring your own toaster and kettle though (unless I missed them on a shelf by the bed somewhere that I missed) not sure where you'll fit them and plug them in though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There's been worse. This was highlighted three years ago, charging €500pm for a 'studio' on the South Circular Road. Cooker & kitchen under the bed, y'know in case the heater surrounded by wood is not warm enough
    tUF3WGy.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well no, this is how bad things have gotten
    HomelessPersonDoorway_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-358935
    Its not really true though. Homeless is a universal perennial problem and is not a product of the rent crisis.

I'd question how safe that setup is too with the electrical hot plates basically build into the sink....

• Advertisement

I'd question how safe that setup is too with the electrical hot plates basically build into the sink....

The whole thing is built like a bonfire tbf.

I can just imagine getting ready to cook dinner "Alright, time to dance with death once more. Will it be I or this steak who will be cooked when we are done?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

robp wrote: »
    Its not really true though. Homeless is a universal perennial problem and is not a product of the rent crisis.
    It is true. Tenants are getting evicted and cannot find accommodation due to low supply/affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

This is the worst I've seen in some time. It's been let too, so some poor soul has some very cosy sleeping arrangements...

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/dublin-1/north-circular-road-dublin-1-dublin-1644267/

386428.jpg

Halfbaker wrote: »
    This is the worst I've seen in some time. It's been let too, so some poor soul has some very cosy sleeping arrangements...

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/dublin-1/north-circular-road-dublin-1-dublin-1644267/

Saw a few like this years ago when a friend and I were hunting for a flat together. Loads of "2 double bedrooms" where the double bed barely fit in the room and it would've been better off with a single bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

There's been worse. This was highlighted three years ago, charging €500pm for a 'studio' on the South Circular Road. Cooker & kitchen under the bed, y'know in case the heater surrounded by wood is not warm enough
    tUF3WGy.png

Would be very hard to have your Come Dine with me night in that ranch, some low points would be awarded in the taxis on the way home

Stacksey wrote: »
    Would be very hard to have your Come Dine with me night in that ranch, some low points would be awarded in the taxis on the way home

"Jaysis the gaff was packed last night! No room to move!"

"Big party?"

"No, da just dropped in for a cuppa."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

It is true. Tenants are getting evicted and cannot find accommodation due to low supply/affordability.
    What I was trying to stress is that no amount of supply will end people sleeping on the streets, because its fuelled by addiction and disadvantage.

What I was trying to stress is that no amount of supply will end people sleeping on the streets, because its fuelled by addiction and disadvantage.

Nothing will end people living on the streets but we can certainly reduce the numbers and it really shouldn't be increasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

JustShon wrote: »
    Nothing will end people living on the streets but we can certainly reduce the numbers and it really shouldn't be increasing.

Statistics were produced when the homeless man who died beside Leinster House to show that there were more homeless people in 2006/07 as there were in 2014/15. It's not an economic problem, it's a problem associated with troubled individuals. This individual also had two houses bought for him and a trust fund, coincidentally.

Families in Dublin City centre who are in hotels are not homeless. There's plenty of homes outside of the pale right now to end their so called 'homeless' plight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Agreed with last post. There are lots of houses and apt outside of Dublin if people want to rent and rent cheaply. Houses can be rented for 350 /400 euro. Just people are fussy and want the tax payer to pay for a house beside their family or friends. If they really wanted a home they would move. Im talking here about the welfare cases who have no interest or desire to work

Advertisement