Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this how bad things have gotten?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I pay the equivalent of €850 per month for a 2 bed, looks twice maybe three time the size of that place, 4kms from the city centre. This is why I'm afraid to move back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Honestly that doesn't even look that bad compared to other kip bedsits in the same price range.

maximoose wrote: »
    Honestly that doesn't even look that bad compared to other kip bedsits in the same price range.

Thats also what terrifies me...that this isnt considered "that bad"!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Noo wrote: »
    I pay the equivalent of €850 per month for a 2 bed, looks twice maybe three time the size of that place, 4kms from the city centre. This is why I'm afraid to move back to Ireland.

Stay where you are bud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Jesus that's grim, but to be honest I've seen worse looking for the same or more , a mate of mine ended up paying €850 for a kippy 1 bed studio last year that had a beer fridge as the actual fridge. if you've already gotten out i wouldn't give a second thought to coming back , no chance of this issue improving in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Things are awful bad, worse than the emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

WTF that's insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Newly decorated and refurbished [By SVP] one bedroom apartment available in a well maintained, quiet house.
    Translation: We've thrown up some stud wall, you'll be able to hear next door snoring, let alone anything else.

Original working fireplace.
    Which we couldn't be arsed to re tile. May be only working heating come December.

Great location beside Mater hospital, short walk to O'Connell st. Bus routes, aircoach, Dublin bike stand seconds from door.
    For getting the feck out of dodge.

Cafes, shops and parks very nearby.
    Because cooking in that kitchen is going to be nigh on impossible.

On street residential parking. It is a self-contained, calm hide-away but close to the action.
    A wall directly outside the living room window hides the junkies in the area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Can't see how that meets the minimum standards:

They must also provide facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food, to include the following:

4-ring hob with oven and grill
    Cooker hood or extractor fan
    Fridge and freezer, or a fridge-freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

That is utterly depressing. If I had to pay €1000 a month for that I would cry.
    What's also depressing is that it's had 1571 views in less than two days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

It's the kind of place that the destitute go to die. Sadly, this isn't close to the worst of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

it actually doesnt look to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I feel awful for anyone looking to rent at the moment. And have no idea how families manage to rent family homes, the rents seem to be sometimes in excess of what the mortgage would be

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Noo wrote:

In Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I pay the equivalent of 850 per month for a 2 bed, looks twice maybe three time the size of that place, 4kms from the city centre. This is why I'm afraid to move back to Ireland.

The city centre ... which on ? you can rent 3 bed houses in the country side in ireland for 400 euro. its all about location

In Germany?

Brisbane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That looks like a paradise compared to my place, but then I am not paying a grand a month for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Most of the kips for rent in the city seen to be in the Dublin 7 area

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ian_80

Thats grand...sit on the jax while making your dinner....convienent!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Worst thing is some of these will end up having more than one person in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

April 73 wrote: »
    That is utterly depressing. If I had to pay €1000 a month for that I would cry.
    What's also depressing is that it's had 1571 views in less than two days.

Maybe because everyone reading this is looking at the ad !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Stacksey wrote: »
    Most of the kips for rent in the city seen to be in the Dublin 7 area

Lived around there for a while myself. Lots of old houses and lots of lazy landlords. Stick a cooker in a room in a house, put a bed in there, bit of running water and you're ready to go.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I feel awful for anyone looking to rent at the moment. And have no idea how families manage to rent family homes, the rents seem to be sometimes in excess of what the mortgage would be

Rents started to exceed equivalent mortgages a long time ago, like back in 2013..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

sad state of affairs right there ewwwwwwww

Further to my post about stuff like this discouraging me to return to ireland, i was intrigued to see in Brisbane what the same price would get you for a one bedroom unit at a similar location from the city centre. This unit works out at approx 750 euro a month. Ok its not furnished, but based on the OP thats not always a bad thing.

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-new+farm-418372014

Not trying to do a here is better than there or anything, its just so disheartening to look at the difference, especially when wages are higher here. I follow this forum to keep an eye on the situation for if i ever return home, so i always take great interest in theads like these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thats also what terrifies me...that this isnt considered "that bad"!

I know. If that was in Dublin 16 I'd honestly consider this place. 1k for that is not that bad. Yes thats how bad things have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Further to my post about stuff like this discouraging me to return to ireland, i was intrigued to see in Brisbane what the same price would get you for a one bedroom unit at a similar location from the city centre. This unit works out at approx 750 euro a month. Ok its not furnished, but based on the OP thats not always a bad thing.

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-unit-qld-new+farm-418372014

Not trying to do a here is better than there or anything, its just so disheartening to look at the difference, especially when wages are higher here. I follow this forum to keep an eye on the situation for if i ever return home, so i always take great interest in theads like these

That place is in a building we don't seem to have very many of, a small self-contained apartment block. Our version of that is mainly large old houses converted into a few units, and the quality of the conversion differs wildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The original one posted at a grand doesn't look that bad compared to this :eek: What a dump.

Opening viewing, so they'll probably end up a few people wanting to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I lived in plenty of dives similar to those examples when I was a student & in my early 20s. Usually with other fellow sufferers though and the craic was good.

The main problem now is that the dives are pricey. At least back in my day - a dive was cheap.

Advertisement