Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Options
1356764

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum


    To think ex Commissioner Callinan described the whistleblowing actions of Maurice McCabe as 'disgusting' when the real disgusting actions were all around him, including his own actions, ie destroying Maurice McCabe's good name because he dared to hold a mirror up to Garda conduct.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John


    Listening to SOR, it really is bizarre territory. All based on Groupthink.

    Really now has to go the PSNI route. Dragged kicking and screaming, if any politician has it in them.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly


    Never really had much interest in this subject until this latest revelation. That poor man's live has been torn asunder and if it's true that Noirin O'Sullivan spoke to journalists about it then she definitely needs to go. Disgusting behaviour.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme


    Watched Prime Time last night, will this be another GUBU affair , similar to the Haughty era. Hopefully criminal charges will be brought against the people behind this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep


    Water John wrote: »
    Really now has to go the PSNI route. Dragged kicking and screaming, if any politician has it in them.
    From what I've heard so far from our current minister that isn't a chance of that happening..
    Until we as a country face up to the fact that there is not accountability or consequences for the kind of behaviour being exposed in the Gardai, HSE, Banks, Regulators etc etc we are destined to re hash the same issues over and over and over


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead


    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss


  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001


    Wasting Tusla's time with false allegations is standard M.O. for dealing with Garda whistleblowers apparently...
    RTE News wrote:
    Second garda whistleblower says senior officer behind another Tusla referral
    This is not the first Tusla notification in relation to a whistleblower that has come across a minister's desk in recent months, writes Katie Hannon.

    I've seen correspondence that shows that Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald has in fact been in correspondence with a garda member in relation to a child protection Tusla notification, which was made about him by one of his garda superiors.

    In this case, within the same week, the Health Service Executive said there was no evidence of abuse.

    This whistleblower told the minister that this Tusla referral was part of a campaign of harassment against him by a senior garda.
    More...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf


    KingBrian2 wrote: »
    She is doing a good job so no.

    She has lost every ounce of credibility now. Her position is untenable.
    It's actually shameful that she hasn't resigned.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12


    blanch152 wrote:
    "Mr Howlin said the journalist, who today contacted him, said he had direct knowledge of Commissioner O’Sullivan contacting a number of journalists in 2013 and 2014 and alleging the whistleblower, Sgt Maurice McCabe, was involved in “sexual crimes.â€"

    Boggy Turf wrote:
    She has lost every ounce of credibility now. Her position is untenable. It's actually shameful that she hasn't resigned.


    She should be sacked the same way as the last commissioner. Or send someone to have a little chat late on a Sunday night and she can "resign" on the Monday.
    I've huge respect for Gardai and the work they do she and others like her are doing untold damage to the image of the Gardai not to mention what poor McCabe has and is still being put through.
    Throw enough mud and it eventually sticks. They picked the worst thing to slaughter him with. Child sex abuse is something people never forget and there will always be some doubt in some people's eyes. I don't want to sound dramatic or over dramatic but this genuinely brings tears to my eyes thinking what they have put this hero of a cop through. Someone should end up in jail over this


  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy


    Boggy Turf wrote: »
    She has lost every ounce of credibility now. Her position is untenable.
    It's actually shameful that she hasn't resigned.

    I believe we will see another MOJ and Garda Commissioner gone. In fairness to the commissioner, there is not much she can do if Fitzgerald doesn't want things to be changed and reformed from within AGS. Fitzgerald was put into the position in order to do this and has clearly failed. To go with here other failings in the role, she will have to go.

    But if the Tanaiste is removed, someone else will also have to fall. It may actually be the government this time. I remember an article where Gilmore stated he nearly pulled the plug on the last government over Callinan. So, we may actually see it this time.

    Noirin hasn't exactly made herself look good as well and if there is to be change in AGS she will have to go too.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55


    ddarcy wrote: »
    I believe we will see another MOJ and Garda Commissioner gone. In fairness to the commissioner, there is not much she can do if Fitzgerald doesn't want things to be changed and reformed from within AGS. Fitzgerald was put into the position in order to do this and has clearly failed. To go with here other failings in the role, she will have to go.

    But if the Tanaiste is removed, someone else will also have to fall. It may actually be the government this time. I remember an article where Gilmore stated he nearly pulled the plug on the last government over Callinan. So, we may actually see it this time.

    Noirin hasn't exactly made herself look good as well and if there is to be change in AGS she will have to go too.

    Wouldn't believe the Lords Prayer from Gilmore's mouth.
    'We will not cut child benefit'.
    Hic.


  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle


    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    She should be sacked the same way as the last commissioner. Or send someone to have a little chat late on a Sunday night and she can "resign" on the Monday.
    The process applied with the last Commisioner, regardless of your personal views on him, was improper.
    His removal was a political move. I don't want politics interfering with the police and vice versa. The whole garda whistleblower saga should have shown you that. There's no difference to Callinans removal that there was with Brian Lenihan boasting how they threatened to have a garda doing his job moved to the back of beyond because Lenihan and his cronies wanted to stay out drinking.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered


    ddarcy wrote: »
    I believe we will see another MOJ and Garda Commissioner gone. In fairness to the commissioner, there is not much she can do if Fitzgerald doesn't want things to be changed and reformed from within AGS. Fitzgerald was put into the position in order to do this and has clearly failed. To go with here other failings in the role, she will have to go.

    But if the Tanaiste is removed, someone else will also have to fall. It may actually be the government this time. I remember an article where Gilmore stated he nearly pulled the plug on the last government over Callinan. So, we may actually see it this time.

    Noirin hasn't exactly made herself look good as well and if there is to be change in AGS she will have to go too.
    fitzerald was put in to keep the clock ticking away, fast or slow did not come into it, keep it steady dont rock it


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12


    kbannon wrote:
    The process applied with the last Commisioner, regardless of your personal views on him, was improper. His removal was a political move. I don't want politics interfering with the police and vice versa. The whole garda whistleblower saga should have shown you that. There's no difference to Callinans removal that there was with Brian Lenihan boasting how they threatened to have a garda doing his job moved to the back of beyond because Lenihan and his cronies wanted to stay out drinking.


    Sorry. I was being sarcastic. I don't believe for a second that he resigned. He was sacked plain and simple. Sacked by Kenny without discussion with the cabinet.
    Also sacked for the wrong reasons. If I remember correctly he was sacked for "hiding" information from the government (on phone tapping) but it later turned out he'd actually informed them. Someone mentioned that the current situation might be a GUBU affair but they seem to forget that callinans removal only a few years back was actually on a GUBU scale. It's funny how it seems less serious in our minds after such a short period of time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Richyroberts


    Sad day as a member!!i couldn't give two hoots about all those at the top table in the job!it reflects terribly on those day in day out at the coal face!look they are all entitled to due process but at what point will they just say enough is enough it's completely not fit for purpose.scandal after scandal.and then the brass have the neck to crucify young members for trivial misdemeanours and hold them accountable to unobtainable standards!no sympathy for any of them up top,they sh1t on us mules for long enough!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN


    nhunter100 wrote: »
    Someone in Tulsa needs to find alternative employment. The whole thing stinks to high heaven. Copy and paste is now a clerical error ffs.

    Do you really think that this was a mistake by someone in Tulsa?
    It just happened that it happened to be sgt mcabe the whistleblower.
    Sad sad day for our little country


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf


    BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Do you really think that this was a mistake by someone in Tulsa?
    It just happened that it happened to be sgt mcabe the whistleblower.
    Sad sad day for our little country

    It's a sad day when senior Government/Garda members are so so arrogant and dismissive of the public that they try to con us by saying the 'copy&paste' mistake was a genuine clerical error. As Kerrigan said..."Of all the files in the all the world..."


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus


    Boggy Turf wrote: »
    It's a sad day when senior Government/Garda members are so so arrogant and dismissive of the public that they try to con us by saying the 'copy&paste' mistake was a genuine clerical error. As Kerrigan said..."Of all the files in the all the world..."
    It really shows what utter contempt these people have for the general public. A lame paper-thin excuse and theyre sticking with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy


    Jim O'Callaghan hung Fitzgerald out to dry this morning. She stated on RTE yesterday that the first mention she heard of Tusla was on Prime Time last week. He says he told her about it the day before the show and that it was going to be on Prime Time.

    She's been caught lying now and surely has to go. She can take O'Sullivan with her.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip


    Fitzgerald should never have been appointed to a position which is clearly way beyond the level of her capabilities. I admire Kenny for his strong leadership during the recession but he has shown a serious lack of judgement in many of his appointments to key positions by simply rewarding blind loyalty to the leader with unmerited promotions.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface


    Garda Superintendent David Taylor cleared of leaking information - http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0213/852335-gardai-dave-taylor/

    DPP has directed there should be no prosecution in relation to the investigation which saw David Taylor suspended for 22 months. Taylor made a protected disclosure in which he said he was directed by senior garda management to spread malicious rumours about Sgt Maurice McCabe, the disclosure was made to Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald. The investigation was conducted by Garda Commissioner's husband Chief Superintendent Jim McGowan.

    The DPP washing it's hands of the stink of corruption. Unbelievable stuff


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas


    hardCopy wrote: »
    Jim O'Callaghan hung Fitzgerald out to dry this morning. She stated on RTE yesterday that the first mention she heard of Tusla was on Prime Time last week. He says he told her about it the day before the show and that it was going to be on Prime Time.

    She's been caught lying now and surely has to go. She can take O'Sullivan with her.
    We have, at best, a 'he said, she said' conflict. How do you manage to elevate that into 'She's been caught lying'?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100


    Phoebas wrote:
    We have, at best, a 'he said, she said' conflict. How do you manage to elevate that into 'She's been caught lying'?


    Seems Zappone is saying Enda is lying as is Fitzgerald, not a good day the two at the top of FG.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton


    Mod note:

    Off topic posts / insults deleted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind


    Time for an externally led purge.

    Will we see it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind


    Why not appoint a uk originated commissioner and management team to an Garda siochana.

    A fresh start, inject some moral, some good practise, and fund them to change the things they need to change.

    Then we can herd unicorns......


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭beggars_bush


    Bringing in an external expert is the first admission of huge failings in the gardai

    this will be kept in-house


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John


    Remarkably simple. JOC is a barrister and needs in the course of such work to be very aware of the words uttered.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady


    Just getting worse. I cannot see Enda and his government surviving this. Every Prime Time seems to bring new revelations. Deasy turning the knife in his leader seems to imply a leadership push.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf


    Just getting worse. I cannot see Enda and his government surviving this. Every Prime Time seems to bring new revelations. Deasy turning the knife in his leader seems to imply a leadership push.

    You should watch Vincent Brown.

    He lays it out in black and white why O'Sullivan should be long gone.


Advertisement