Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision OS Mini Combo

Options
  • 16-05-2016 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the market to upgrade from my somewhat faulty and disappointing Amiko Alien 2+. I have spotted this box and it looks like a great device.

Does anyone here have this? Reviews are hard to come by apart from freetv.ie which have great video guides etc.

I'm looking for something more stable and faster the the Alien 2+ (E2 never worked for me on it due to what I now believe was a hardware issue, even so it was quite laggy running E2).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

You should be able to get an idea from some of the threads on here .

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?545-Edision-OS-mini

Its a good box and you won"t going wrong with freetv.ie got plenty of stuff of them first class service as always .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

You should be able to get an idea from some of the threads on here .

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?545-Edision-OS-mini

Its a good box and you won"t going wrong with freetv.ie got plenty of stuff of them first class service as always .

Yeah, I've bought loads of stuff off them before. Good crowd.

Looks like a great device for the price. Blows the AA 2+ out of the water even though it is cheaper. I might dive in and get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

It great bit of kit for the money and all the major Teams are supporting this box image wise the likes of open vix , atv,spa,pli ,droid , just to name a few so you won,t be stuck for choice .

And i read scillian say about it having first class driver support as to response time to driver upgrades and fixes if needed also you can run vix without any need for patched version .;)

It great bit of kit for the money and all the major Teams are supporting this box image wise the likes of open vix , atv,spa,pli ,droid , just to name a few so you won,t be stuck for choice .

And i read scillian say about it having first class driver support as to response time to driver upgrades and fixes if needed also you can run vix without any need for patched version .;)

Sounds good. I've ordered one, arriving tomorrow. Will load the latest vix onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

I've never had fault with mine.
    Runs very smooth with vix and the in-built wifi is very handy.
    Don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Advertisement

codar wrote: »
    I've never had fault with mine.
    Runs very smooth with vix and the in-built wifi is very handy.
    Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Cheers.

It arrived this afternoon. At work at the moment, but can't wait to get home and flash vix onto it and set it up. It's for my Man Cave :)

Will move my old Amiko Alien 2+ (running Spark as E2 was just too unstable on it), to the main living room to in turn replace an Amiko Mini, which will move to the kitchen. So no wastage here ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

Newbie to these types of boxes... I'm currently using Windows Media Center with a satellite and terrestrial card in it, works reasonably well but thinking of switching to a set top box setup.

Few questions on this box... Can you integrate the Saorview and the Freesat channels into a single program guide listing, or are they in separate sections of the listings? Do you get the full 7 day listings on both, and with series link too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

spooner_j wrote: »
    Newbie to these types of boxes... I'm currently using Windows Media Center with a satellite and terrestrial card in it, works reasonably well but thinking of switching to a set top box setup.

Few questions on this box... Can you integrate the Saorview and the Freesat channels into a single program guide listing, or are they in separate sections of the listings? Do you get the full 7 day listings on both, and with series link too?
    Most linux based boxes allow you to create and order your favourites in any combination you like with 7day EPG and series linking. You can also set timers based on keywords etc etc. All in all very powerful and adaptable things.

Hey,

So installed the box last night. The difference is night and day.

I posted the below in the general Enigma discussion thread, but said I'd put it hwere too in case anyone had similar experiences. I'm running the latest OpenViX and it is completely stable. I'm having one issue though and was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I want to use my NAS to store recorded content. I was able to do this easily on the Amiko in Spark, but having a few issues thus far with E2. I have tried mounting both NFS and CIFS and I can see the dives when I ftp to the box. The problem is I cannot set it as the default recording device in the recordings settings. The only one selectable is the HDD I have attached to the box, which I just want to use for CrossEPG/TimeShift/Picons etc.

The mount is writeable as I can create directory using WinSCP etc. So far it seems the only way to use it is to select it as a hard drive replacement, but then this disables the physical drive I have connected to the box. Any ideas?

Edit: I think editing bookmarks might be the way to go. I'll check again when I get home. From my reading it's a bit clunky to use but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

Can you remount the physical drive as media/usb and point your CrossEPG to it?
    Then you can use your nas as hdd replacement for recordings (you may have to use your nas for timeshifting also as this is recording more or less if you've setup your timeshift to automatically store upon channel change)
    Haven't tried this myself as I only have a key installed for epg/picons and don't really use the receiver for recording/timeshifting etc, but will have a look later on when I get home.

• Advertisement

codar wrote: »
    Can you remount the physical drive as media/usb and point your CrossEPG to it?
    Then you can use your nas as hdd replacement for recordings (you may have to use your nas for timeshifting also as this is recording more or less if you've setup your timeshift to automatically store upon channel change)
    Haven't tried this myself as I only have a key installed for epg/picons and don't really use the receiver for recording/timeshifting etc, but will have a look later on when I get home.

Cheers.

I actually think/hope adding the bookmarks will solve the issue for me.

I'll play around with it later too. Ideally I don't want to timeshift to the NAS as I don't want the disks to be in use constantly. It's not a huge deal really. I just ant the recording to go to the NAS for my Plex/DLNA server to access them and have them streamable anywhere even when the Edision is powered down, so that I don't need to run a samba on the Edision and keep it powered on 24/7.

I'll experiment a bit more. My wife thinks I'm cracked! Coding all day at work and come home to "play" with my other nerdy toys lol! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You should be able to set different bookmarks for recording and timeshift.
    techdiver wrote: »
    ...... My wife thinks I'm cracked! Coding all day at work and come home to "play" with my other nerdy toys lol! :)
    I think the term is "busman's holiday":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

techdiver wrote: »
    Sounds good. I've ordered one, arriving tomorrow. Will load the latest vix onto it.

You have bought a great piece of kit. Bit late for you but for anyone else looking at this thread and thinking of taking the plunge, The twin satellite version together with the seven euro usb dtt with vix image works perfectly. So you get a triple tuner for seven euro more.

http://www.*************/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_188372.html

Not quitesur why link will not work. But the *** reads as www.gear best dot com

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

givecredit wrote: »
    You have bought a great piece of kit. Bit late for you but for anyone else looking at this thread and thinking of taking the plunge, The twin satellite version together with the seven euro usb dtt with vix image works perfectly. So you get a triple tuner for seven euro more.

Does anyone know if you could also add a USB analogue tuner (for Virgin's analogue TV service) to this box?

bk wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you could also add a USB analogue tuner (for Virgin's analogue TV service) to this box?

No, Only DVB-T and DVB-C

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

givecredit wrote: »

http://www.*************/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_188372.html

Not quitesur why link will not work. But the *** reads as www.gear best dot com

this looks interesting. how would I get the right drivers etc for this tuner on enigma2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

bk wrote: »

Do you have a particular USB device in mind ?

Of course. But you will probably end up having to write the driver yourself of it doesnt exist for your device.

There are lots of USB linux drivers that can be adapted to E2 (regardless of the E2 box).

The likes of a Pinnacle 310e or a sundtek combo usb device should be runnable on any E2 box.

http://support.sundtek.com/index.php?topic=348.0

STB. wrote: »
    Do you have a particular USB device in mind ?

Of course. But you will probably end up having to write the driver yourself of it doesnt exist for your device.

There are lots of USB linux drivers that can be adapted to E2 (regardless of the E2 box).

The likes of a Pinnacle 310e or a sundtek combo usb device should be runnable on any E2 box.

http://support.sundtek.com/index.php?topic=348.0

what about generic devices like the one listed by givecredit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

cian_r wrote: »
    what about generic devices like the one listed by givecredit?

The question I was answering was specifically in relation to analogue/hybrid usb devices and their usage with E2 boxes

The generic devices that givecredit is talking about is DVB-T USB devices for E2 boxes. Most USB DVB devices are based on known chipsets. The drivers are already in the public domain over the years. Many of the USB sticks are based on two chipsets, the Afatech 9035 or IT9135. You will see this in the description of the USB DVB-T device. You will also need a DVB-T RF Coaxial to MCX cable to connect it to your aerial.

You can download the driver from the e2 feeds, if required.

Here's the bible of them https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices

If you want me to suggest one, try and source a Sony Play TV USB module as they have dual tuners.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to make up a backup of the E2 image on this box please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭davidhick77

Just wondering how do you re size the epg screen? Cant see start of channel names? Cheers

Just wondering how do you re size the epg screen? Cant see start of channel names? Cheers

Menu/Setup/System/User Interface/Position Setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stokespower

I had a software update on this the other day - and now after putting the box into standby mode it will not reboot with the remote. I have to disconnect from the mains and plug it back it in at which point it boots up.
    It is still recording in standby mode and the remote is working.

I'm running enigma 2.

Any ideas at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

would anyone have any idea how I can add channels like itv2,3,4 to this box? I only bought the box the other day and someone set it up for me. any advice please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

would anyone have any idea how I can add channels like itv2,3,4 to this box? I only bought the box the other day and someone set it up for me. any advice please.
    Find the boxes ip by pressing Menu>Information>network.
    Enter the ip in the address bar of your pcs browser. This will open a window called openwebif. Bottom left an option called bouquet editor. open it. On the right side half way down click add bouquet, name it whatever you like eg "MY TV". It will be the last Bouquet in the list. Click it it will turn orange. Now on the left side click satellites and select 28.2 e services. This will list every channel on the receiver in alphabetical order. Scroll down to the "I"s highlight the ITV channels you want and click add channel(s) to Bouquet. This will place all the channels you wish in the "MY TV" you created earlier. When you go back to the OS MINI the newly created Bouquet with the channels you just added will be there.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Find the boxes ip by pressing Menu>Information>network.
    Enter the ip in the address bar of your pcs browser. This will open a window called openwebif. Bottom left an option called bouquet editor. open it. On the right side half way down click add bouquet, name it whatever you like eg "MY TV". It will be the last Bouquet in the list. Click it it will turn orange. Now on the left side click satellites and select 28.2 e services. This will list every channel on the receiver in alphabetical order. Scroll down to the "I"s highlight the ITV channels you want and click add channel(s) to Bouquet. This will place all the channels you wish in the "MY TV" you created earlier. When you go back to the OS MINI the newly created Bouquet with the channels you just added will be there.

I haven't tried it yet but that is how you explain something to someone, Thanks. just before i try it will this affect the existing set up of channels? and if not how would I switch between the channels I have now and the new ones I have added?, Thanks again.

@UrbanFret just tried what you said and it worked a peach, Thanks again for explaining the process. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I haven't tried it yet but that is how you explain something to someone, Thanks. just before i try it will this affect the existing set up of channels? and if not how would I switch between the channels I have now and the new ones I have added?, Thanks again.

No It shouldn't affect your existing channel lists. it will merely add a new Bouquet called "My Tv" (or whatever you called the new Bouquet.) with the new channels in it. Anyway I see you cracked it. Well done!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

for epg/picons
    has this box enough memory space or does epg/picons still need b stored on usb stick
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi folks.

Im having issues with my Edison OS Mini, bought it from Dreambox Ireland about 2 months ago.

We were having issues with our broadband for about two weeks so during that time the box we completely disconnected.

Got the broadband sorted but when I reconnected the box its now not working.

Basically, all that happens is that when I power on the box, "boot" shows on the digital display on the box for 6 to 7 seconds, and the edison ramp screen shows on screen for the same (picture attached).

At that point the display on the box goes blank and nothing else happens.

It was left on for more than 24 hours and nothing further has happened.

I tried powering off and on again but still the same.

Any ideas?

Advertisement