Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 38, the final surge!

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Finished at 3251. Shocker of a final gameweek leaves a bit of a bad taste but decent season overall, 2nd best in the 4 seasons I've played seriously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ended up on 65K OR. My worst ever season really. However a strong finish means it was a lot better than it might otherwise have been. Was at 622K just five weeks ago, had 3 top 20K GW ranks in the last 5 for a net gain of 557K places in the OR.

Was tempted a few times to give up entirely and just make a load of transfers each week but stuck at it. Never seen so many 1 million, 2million and even 3 million GW finishes though...

Unlike most on here I lost a decent chunk of change this year with league entries and some side bets.

Roll on next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ended up on 65K OR. My worst ever season really. However a strong finish means it was a lot better than it might otherwise have been. Was at 622K just five weeks ago, had 3 top 20K GW ranks in the last 5 for a net gain of 557K places in the OR.

Was tempted a few times to give up entirely and just make a load of transfers each week but stuck at it. Never seen so many 1 million, 2million and even 3 million GW finishes though...

Unlike most on here I lost a decent chunk of change this year with league entries and some side bets.

Roll on next year...

I believe you picked up the Harps league monthly prize for May too.

Some finish over 5 weeks!

As for me.

14,674 was the magic number resulting from 9 months of blood sweat and tears.

First time I've finished outside to 10k but delighted with it having been 928K GW18 and only up to 426k by GW28.

Despite the broad dislike of chips around here, the run in and the DGW / Chips strategies (of various types) seem to have given a lot of us strong finishes. I ended up 769 in the world and 51st in Ireland for Q4. Might start a thread on quarterly ranks as it an interesting comparison on its own.

Totting up confirmed winnings gives me around €1,300 all in (less the "investment" of nearly €300 in joining various paid leagues) so a nice return, although as an hourly rate I'd suspect nowhere near minimum wage! ;)

My FPL career record is now:
    13/14: 8,121
    14/15: 5,371
    15/16: 14,674

Roll on 2016/17 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Finished 776, gw 32-36 nearly ruined my season but clawed it back in 37 and 38. I was only in one money league which I was in control of since gw1. Bit dissapointed that I couldn't keep up my earlier momentum and finish inside the top 100 (also missed out on a bunch of free leagues giving out prizes) but as it's my first season playing properly, I can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That Smalling OG was a thing of beauty for me personally..A Utd cleanie would have seen me out of the money but I won 350 as a result...had given up on it as well if Im honest, nearly dropped the phone when i seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

What an amazing last GW to cap off an incredible season for me. 64 (-8)
    OR 8th and top of Ireland league.
    Transferring in and captaining Giroud catapulted me into the top 10 and first in Ireland. He was my "answer" to the double Arsenal defence.
    Then the final rearranged United fixture and Smalling's og!!!! (Armanijeans and Pagliuca described it perfectly) Spielberg could not have scripted it better for me.
    I genuinely feel that finding this fpl community has been just as rewarding as the great season I've had and look forward to joining y'all again in August and hopefully showing I'm not a one season fluky casual!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ElTel wrote: »
    Transferring in and captaining Giroud catapulted me into the top 10 and first in Ireland. He was my "answer" to the double Arsenal defence.
    Then the final rearranged United fixture and Smalling's og!!!! (Armanijeans and Pagliuca described it perfectly) Spielberg could not have scripted it better for me.
    I genuinely feel that finding this fpl community has been just as rewarding as the great season I've had and look forward to joining y'all again in August and hopefully showing I'm not a one season fluky casual!

Well done. Damn it you casuals :)

Seriously though I was waiting for your update and am pretty sure there were more followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

55 (-4) to finish this long and weird season.

Made it into the top 10k for the first time all season in the last week! An 8k finish is my second best ever finishing position. I never even contemplated making the top 10k in February. I had an awful start and after GW6 I was ranked 1.6 million. In GW25 I was ranked 242k and at that stage I was hoping to just make the top 50k.

My 105 point mega-haul in GW29 did wonders for my season and all of a sudden I was ranked 57k. In the last 11 gameweeks I managed 9 green arrows to take me from 192k to 8k. Now to recharge the batteries and get ready for the new season.

ElTel wrote: »

Superb. You've set yourself a tough act to follow for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

FHFC wrote: »
    I believe you picked up the Harps league monthly prize for May too.

Some finish over 5 weeks!

And he picked up the Boards Pay league €30!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finished up on 291 K in the end :o

My 2nd worst ever finish (the worst being my first ever season and I stopped logging in halfway through!).

Busy with real world stuff, particularly since the new year, meant I was trudging along mediocrity for most of the season. Lazy transfers during the key weeks at the end of the season meant I capitulated horribly :o

Will be back with a vengeance next season!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Finished just outside 40k, worst finish for some time. Came second in my work league by a sizeable margin. Always felt like I couldn't get out of second gear.

On the plus side, managed to stay in the FPL premier league, and I won two leagues (pride only!). Looking forward to a break from FPL before kicking off all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Disastrous final GW for me which spoiled a lot of great momentum over the last month. 30 all out, leaving me with an OR of 5,129.

Gutted to have not finished in the Top 5k since I had gotten myself in there a week previously. Also fell in all my leagues, including to second in my main money league (though the second place cash prize of €300 is pretty tasty itself, so a decent consolation).

That's my highest ever finish, so I'm sure when the dust settles on this GW I'll look back at the last stretch of season with more fondness. There's just an ever so slightly bitter taste there for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Bonjour my friends ;).

Pardon me but dare I say I did not miss you... Ah no. Truth is I did miss this place but I did not miss the game. Not at all! Can't actually believe I'm writing this :rolleyes:...

GW35 was the straw that broke iroced's back (:p) and for the first time ever in 5 years playing the game I stopped playing and gave it all up. Well... not all actually. I made an effort to see the season through but just ended up following roughly FFS weekly team moves and my own pre-planned ones :pac:. Not more than a couple of minutes per GW (*). I now realised it was very very tight and hot in the FSA Prem' and I escaped relegation in the final GW :eek:. Thought I was safe after my GW34 win...

So. I finished 69k, which is an absolute shame. In my selfish arrogantly exigeant definition of the game (:p), any finish outside the top 1% of the total amount of players is sh*te. Just sh*te. Pure sh*te.

Question is how I ended up there? Of course, I made several major errors during the season (e.g. GW32 WC mess-up). But I also experienced an unbelievable series of misfortune from GW31 onwards. Every single decision or non-decision I took went against me, I mean even my weekly success started as or turned into disasters over several GWs.

I also feel the new chips only increased the element of luck and brought more chaos than anything else into the game. It won't happen but I'd love to see them removed from the game. What I enjoy the most in FPL is the strategy and planning aspect of it, I mean what you can control. Of course there's luck involved but as I used to say anyone should reach the top 1% with "skills". To reach higher grounds luck becomes then essential. I don't have solid stats to back it up but from what I read today in the different active threads, it seems more regular boardsies ended up on a way below than top 1% finish this year than in the previous ones (my memory data is 5 seasons).

It was the first season with these chips so I can still give them the benefit of the doubt and attribute this observation to an exceptional series of misfortune. It defies logic and regression to the mean theory but let's say it was this 1 per billion chance that everything went wrong at the same wrong time. If it's to be confirmed though, I'm not sure I'll find any more interest in playing the game. I don't want an FPL lotto (*)!!!

(*) I did not do worse (I actually did a tad better) while ignoring the game and making quick "casual" moves than while carefully planning each one of them.

I'm now gonna enjoy the 2 months FPL break more than ever and will come back to try and wipe out this ugly eyesore of a season from my FPL record.

Season | Points | Rank | Note
    2010/11 | 1591 | 1,428,913 | GW11 start
    2011/12 | 2143 | 19,111
    2012/13| 2188 | 16,044
    2013/14 | 2460 | 1,663
    2014/15 | 2201 | 9,152
    2015/16 | 2174 | 69,776

Advertisement