Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL2 Long Reach 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

My VDSL syncs at 90mbit. Will they be automatically upgrading or will I be expected to pay more for the faster speeds?
    Any change in the upstream bandwidth. I'd gladly settle for 90 with more upstream which is what I need more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

My VDSL syncs at 90mbit. Will they be automatically upgrading or will I be expected to pay more for the faster speeds?
    Any change in the upstream bandwidth. I'd gladly settle for 90 with more upstream which is what I need more

Automatic upgrade won't be possible, because your router isn't capable of supervectoring.

Routers with supervectoring are at a premium right now.

Fritz!Box 7582 does 30b (Not used in Ireland). Only AVMs flagship 7590 does 35b.

Eur and Vodafone also need to replace the routers as per above.

But there is a gain to be got. I've seen a 70Mbit/s line now being classified as 100 Mbit/s with supervectoring.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Marlow wrote: »
    Automatic upgrade won't be possible, because your router isn't capable of supervectoring.

Routers with supervectoring are at a premium right now.

Fritz!Box 7582 does 30b (Not used in Ireland). Only AVMs flagship 7590 does 35b.

Eur and Vodafone also need to replace the routers as per above.

But there is a gain to be got. I've seen a 70Mbit/s line now being classified as 100 Mbit/s with supervectoring.

/M

Hmm, I've my modem bridged to a Mikrotik CRS125, I'll probably need to upgrade that to a RB3011 if my speeds go over 100mbit

Hmm, I've my modem bridged to a Mikrotik CRS125, I'll probably need to upgrade that to a RB3011 if my speeds go over 100mbit

Mjaeh. The CRS might be a tad slow.

hAP ac and 2011UiAS will handle 350 Mbit/s with firewalling.

3011 will handle 650 Mbit/s.

1100AHx4 or a CCR recommended for Gbit/s.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Wonder will ISP's charge you for the privilege besides a new Modem or offer current "upto" speeds option,  i would be interested to see the difference currently im on the full 100/20 profile a jump to 200 or even 300 would sway be from changing to VM if it was available in my area.

I remember a comment by eircom, in a Comreg document IIRC, an increase in profile speed would attract an increased charge. Can't put my finger on the actual quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

The VDSL data includes supervectoring speeds. We're waiting for OpenEIR to confirm availability on these at the moment.

Thanks Martin.

A local bank.
    "eircode": null,
    "county": null,
    "date": null,
    "error": null,
    "fullAddress": null,
    "townEnabled": false,
    "maxDSL": null,
    "maxHSI": "100M_20M_R",
    "maxFTCHSI": null,
    "maxNGB": "4M_384K_R",
    "maxNRA": "100M_20M_FR",
    "maxFTCNRA": null,
    "maxDSLServiceCode": null,
    "maxHSIServiceCode": "FCBPS",
    "maxFTCHSIServiceCode": null,
    "maxNGBServiceCode": "NGNBMB8M",
    "maxNRAServiceCode": "FCBPS",
    "maxFTCNRAServiceCode": null,
    "phase": "Available Now",
    "phone": "01-0000000",
    "validationType": "phone",
    "message": null,
    "redCustomer": false,
    "lastUpdated": null,
    "itv": true,
    "partialAddresses": null,
    "completed": true,
    "needsEircode": true,
    "wideSearch": null,

No sign of the updated file from OE being deployed to Eirs service yet.

ED E wrote: »
    No sign of the updated file from OE being deployed to Eirs service yet.

Eir are very slow to update the prequal data in their own system. Lines often show as unavailble for up to 2 weeks after the data has been shared with the operators.

The supervectoring data may have been shared with operators by accident. But this is the second time OpenEIR has done so in the last 2 weeks. The first time, when oscarBravo posted about it.

/M

Couple years ago Vodafone fired the raw JSON back at you but alas no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

On Airwire checker new speeds are available. On my old address i would get 250/50 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

using Airwire's checker on several addresses around Dunshaughlin and the speeds drop off extremely fast. Those beside the cabinet are on 250/20 and those no more than 500 meters away are on what they always had without any change to speed.

Indeed.
    VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Available at maximum 250M/20M

Shame our cab is quite a bit outside the estate (two VM cabs are within 50m) so moving to an OE service isnt an option. COMPALs bug is a right load of tit.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

(up to 100 Mbit/s)

Little glitch there, when the checker got updated. Fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Martin, approx how many premises are showing up with speeds higher greater than 100Mb and not FTTH?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

digiman wrote: »
    Martin, approx how many premises are showing up with speeds higher greater than 100Mb and not FTTH?

Just over 860k. The actual figure is probably a lot higher, because OpenEIR still has no test data for a lot of urban VDSL lines.

There are also a good few 70M lines, that will make it to 100M with supervectoring.

Just over 860k. The actual figure is probably a lot higher, because OpenEIR still has no test data for a lot of urban VDSL lines.

There are also a good few 70M lines, that will make it to 100M with supervectoring.

Sounds like somebody has jumped the gun in there and applied the new expected speeds to every single line out there. A card swap is required at every single cabinet to upgrade to those speeds, no way all 7000 plus cabs have been upgraded overnight just like that!

But it does give a nice indication about what will be possible when it's complete.

Sounds like somebody has jumped the gun in there and applied the new expected speeds to every single line out there. A card swap is required at every single cabinet to upgrade to those speeds, no way all 7000 plus cabs have been upgraded overnight just like that!

But it does give a nice indication about what will be possible when it's complete.

G.fast requires a line card change. Supervectoring is possible with firmware upgrades, to my knowledge.

/M

Oh .. and there's actually adjustments from the first file, that made it out to the one from today.

My line went from 225 to 200.

(don't ask :) )

/M

G.fast requires a line card change. Supervectoring is possible with firmware upgrades, to my knowledge.

/M

It's not possible.

http://carrier.huawei.com/en/technical-topics/fixed-network/super-vector

See section on Backward Compatibility and Smooth Evolution, both scenarios mention installing new boards, either swapping existing VDSL or installing alongside them.

It's not possible.

http://carrier.huawei.com/en/technical-topics/fixed-network/super-vector

See section on Backward Compatibility and Smooth Evolution, both scenarios mention installing new boards, either swapping existing VDSL or installing alongside them.

Installing alongside makes no sense, as 35b is backwards compatible to 17a.

Now, OpenEIR have been testing for a good few months and probably been upgrading as they went along, if that's the case.

Also, there are a good few cabs, that were neglected ( as in not brought live ). Maybe for the same reason.

Based on their original timeline (Q4), I do agree, that they might have jumped the gun. It'll be interesting, what timeline for the rollout they come up with, since they've pushed the SV speeds in 2 files this month alone (accidentally or not).

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my friends 70/20 line is still showing up as 70/20, so no changes for them. They are roughly 400 meters from the cabinet. Houses around the 350 meters mark have moved from 70 to 100.

I'm wondering will OpenEir eventually allow higher speeds slightly further out, as the speeds are dropping off even closer to the cabinet than I thought.

it seems that only those very close, almost within viewing distance of the cabinet will get the very high speeds.

Prequalling is done by the MTAU circuits not the xDSL chipsets so can be done in advance of new LT installs AFAIK.

OpenEir and Huawei were test partners for initial phases of Vectoring, its not implausible that a chunk of the later cabs were given the new stock in preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm a 175/20, currently on 100

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Does this SuperVector-ing increase the max distance of VDSL2 or does it just increase speeds? Any sign of new premises now passing for the lower profiles in the prequal files?

dollylama wrote: »
    Does this SuperVector-ing increase the max distance of VDSL2 or does it just increase speeds? Any sign of new premises now passing for the lower profiles in the prequal files?

No increase of distance. This is only about more speed. And only for the ones that have reasonable copper.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

No increase of distance. This is only about more speed. And only for the ones that have reasonable copper.

/M

Ah ha ok... between the thread title, the thread itself and the Huawei docs i couldn't figure out what was being discussed or rolled out!

So to the layman, SuperVector is just jumping up to profile 35 or have there been other significant developments or even better vectoring to go with it?

To go back to the title of the thread, has there been any progress here or is there something in the works to increase the range of VDSL2? Open eir had word of a long reach profile at one point I thought

Ok .. I have it from the horses mouth, that they're trialing 4 cabinets with supervectoring right now.

One is out on the Nangor Road, another in Naas.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Deutsche Telekom also planning to roll out super vectoring up to 250 Mbps in Q3 this year.
    Deutsche Telekom plans to cover approximately 80% of German homes with its VDSL network by 2018. Within its footprint, Deutsche Telekom is implementing vectoring technology, which increases broadband speeds to up to 100 Mbps from the current speeds of up to 50 Mbps. Deutsche Telekom further announced its ambition to implement super vectoring technology, enhancing broadband speeds to up to 250 Mbps.

The Cush wrote: »
    Deutsche Telekom also planning to roll out super vectoring up to 250 Mbps in Q3 this year.

Deutsche Telekom has very little FTTH. Nearly everything they do is DSL based, so it makes sense for them.

/M

• Advertisement

Ok .. I have it from the horses mouth, that they're trialing 4 cabinets with supervectoring right now.

One is out on the Nangor Road, another in Naas.

/M

Same as the original Vectoring trial so, that was IIRC: Skerries, Balbriggan, Wexford, Sandyford.

DDM is the firstborn that got no love due to being Alcatel :rolleyes:

Advertisement