Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To change or not to change...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Looks ideal for what you want it for tbh. Nice spec, not too heavy miles and most likely a lot more life left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nice looking car, you should look to see if the VSA light issue has occured in it before and been fixed .... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055823353

More info here and a good site for faults/questions...http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1432-vsa-modulator-light/

Put a deposit on a car today.

5 points to Gryffindor if anyone can guess it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Accord?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Sure jaysus, it could be anything with the long list of cars mentioned ; )

Honda Civic petrol hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Passat TDI

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-rs-2-0tdi-170bhp-nct-07-17/11440955

Went to view this today. It was hanging together.

Bodywork was honest enough, front end was stone chipped but otherwise straight enough, no major damage or repairs, wheels were all damage free and good (chinese) tyres all round, I was pleasantly surprised.

Interior was clean, sat into it nice and fresh, no marks or rips or tears or anything. Miraculously a full, legit looking service history in the glovebox the whole way to 200k.

Asked for the keys, started it up. Check engine, glow plug and DPF light on the dash. Obliged the seller by taking it for a drive but at that point my interest was gone. I know "trade cars" and "no warranty" is that places USP but I wasn't looking to buy a complete liability either. Rear window was also down before I took it for a drive and went to put it up but it was stuck down.

It sounded like it was running fine. For 180bhp or whatever these claim to be it felt very wheezy and there was no great pick up or torque in it like you would be expecting from a turbo diesel so I don't know if it was right or wrong really. Was very difficult to pull away in first gear too, thought it was clutch trouble but when I went to do a hill start, the car stayed on the hill rock solid without the handbrake applied so I assume it has a stuck calliper somewhere.

Got back and the seller told me the battery went flat and after you jump start those cars all the check light come on the dash which i'm sure is gospel truth and there was a bit of a take it or leave it attitude about them. I gladly left.

Shame, it was tidy enough looking but you'd want it for €4k i'd say between fixing the window, brakes and taking a punt on the potential DPF/ EGR issues.

So that's what I didn't buy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I still think you'd be mad to buy a €5k Octavia VRS!

A 2004/2005 Alfa JTD will have the older more reliable Diesel engine and the cars are pretty to look at, good to drive and reasonably solid on the road. Pick one up for €2k these days. Same risk as a €5k Octy IMO.

EYour definitely right, there are some very attractive propostions out there in reasonably "up in the years" Alfa 159's too. I just wasn't ready to go full Alfa yet :P

I did look at this last Thursday but came to the conclusion it was probably a bit ghey, more of a ladies car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-mito-1-6-jtdm-turismo/12347684

Too late to turn around now anyway :)

• Advertisement

Come on, what did you buy?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Come on, what did you buy?

Lets just say it has lots of triangles :pac:

Ooh. I like triangles. Petrol or diesel. Panoramic roof?

Ooh. I like triangles. Petrol or diesel. Panoramic roof?

1.8 petrol, auto with the flappy paddles, more doors model. Nice spec with the panoramic roof, dual zone climate control, cruise control, power fold mirrors etc.

Lets just say it has lots of triangles :pac:

So I was right kinda ?

Oh Jesus, the auto box on them is awful. You didn't did you?

Oh Jesus, the auto box on them is awful. You didn't did you?

No, I really actually did. I know it's an automated manual and not an automatic automatic.

Not trying to justify it but I was happy with it when I drove it. Had a few autos in the past and it was just about as sloppy as any of those.

It's probably the 6th Civic i've looked at and it was the tidiest by a country mile. Most sub €10k were fairly clapped.

Should've held out for mine :)

What year did you go for? Colour?

Should've held out for mine :)

What year did you go for? Colour?

Didn't fancy getting railroaded into Supagard and RTI insurance if I bought yours :pac:

It's 07, one owner, only 80k kms on it with a full history. Tested until October 17.

Decent in that regard, most every other one I looked at was between 150-200k at this stage.

Had all the hallmarks of a well minded car, 4 good as new brand name tyres on it, still has it's original mats, all its paperwork etc.

The dealer reffered to it as champagne silver or something but i'm pretty sure if I asked a 5 year old they'd tell me it's brown.

I think it's an ES spec? Same alloys as yours, front fogs, dual exhausts.

The auto box it probably a bit uninspiring but I hadn't read of any reliability issues with them, so fingers crossed in that regard.

Oh, that goldy brown colour is very nice on them.
    Yeah mine is an ES too.
    You going getting the mesh grille?

• Advertisement

Oh, that goldy brown colour is very nice on them.
    Yeah mine is an ES too.
    You going getting the mesh grille?

Literally the first thing that crosed my mind :) did you buy yours online?

Picking it up this day week, reasonably excited. Just want to organise to get a bit of PDR on it this week, there one tasty car door ding on it, otherwise it's fairly crisp. They are "servicing" it etc.

Yeah, I got the grille from Cox Honda in the uk through eBay. Think it was €160, might be less now.
    They really need the facelift lights on the back too....

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Well wear, I'd be interested in how the I-Shift performs, have the 1.8 ES manual too.

Still havent got around to getting that grille though...

I hadn't strictly been ruling out automatic cars. On the new commute i'd been getting very weary of the clutch, first, second, clutch, brake, stop, rinse repeat on the M50 carpark.

I only test drove the the car in auto mode, but it felt as you'd expect for an auto I suppose. It felt every bit as pokey as the 2.2 diesels I drove but obviously not as torquey.

Hoping the i-shift is reliable, that's my only concern really.

I hadn't strictly been ruling out automatic cars. On the new commute i'd been getting very weary of the clutch, first, second, clutch, brake, stop, rinse repeat on the M50 carpark.

I only test drove the the car in auto mode, but it felt as you'd expect for an auto I suppose. It felt every bit as pokey as the 2.2 diesels I drove but obviously not as torquey.

Hoping the i-shift is reliable, that's my only concern really.

What's this ishift thing?

Looking at some pictures...... the saloon automatic from around that time seems to have a different gearstick. Was the ishift only done in the hatchbacks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Well wear. The color of what you bought shines up well. Foxhole did a great job on herself a while back.

FB_IMG_1467587090434_zpsyb7lqnac.jpg

FB_IMG_1467587111221_zpsec47athi.jpg

FB_IMG_1467587127985_zpsckmndkce.jpg

Not my choice of colour but it can look well with some spit and polish.

What's this ishift thing?

Looking at some pictures...... the saloon automatic from around that time seems to have a different gearstick. Was the ishift only done in the hatchbacks ?

Yeah the saloon has a CVT on the hybrids and a torque converter on the 1.8s.
    The box on the hatchbacks is an automated manual box, similar to Toyota MMT or VW ASG in the Up.
    Even manual vs manual the gear shifters and gaiters etc are completely different between saloon and hatch. There are very few common parts really.

Yeah the saloon has a CVT on the hybrids and a torque converter on the 1.8s.
    The box on the hatchbacks is an automated manual box, similar to Toyota MMT or VW ASG in the Up.
    Even manual vs manual the gear shifters and gaiters etc are completely different between saloon and hatch. There are very few common parts really.

Is the torque converter one ok from a reliability point of view?

Is it more reliable than i Shift?

I dint know too much about the torque converter one. Most people here just bought the hybrid instead. I'd assume it's reliable, being a fairly well proven technology!
    I-shift would have emissions and fuel economy benefits, but has much more potential to go wrong.

• Advertisement

Digging this up one last time.

They have asked that I pay by bank draft. I've never paid like this before.

Thing is, i'm picking the car up on Saturday, can i drive away that same day having paid by bank draft or does it have to "clear" like a cheque etc?

How do they know it's legit immediately?

Also i'm not in a position to get to my local bank that my accounts are with, will any bank under the same name give me a draft?

That might be a naieve question but every day is a school day :)

Advertisement