Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To change or not to change...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see you getting 35 mpg from a Type R on long journeys unless you drive it like a granny which defeats the purpose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bazz26 wrote: »
    I cannot see you getting 35 mpg from a Type R on long journeys unless you drive it like a granny which defeats the purpose really.

i wasn't aware that the sole purpose of a Type R was to get ragged to death in a Jeremy Clarkson esque style during the process of your daily commute. it's perfectly reasonable to drive a performance car normally day to day and just enjoy it.

anyway, nothing set in stone yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

ideally i'd like to buy the new car, then use the sale of the Celica (an optimistic 1500-2000) to pay for the first years tax and insurance on the new car, to give my bank account a bit of breathing space.

I've no idea how old you are or what your driving experience is, but I have a full no claims bonus, I'm 32, full licence, no points, and don't live in a dodgy area or have a profession that would impact on insurance quotes, and my insurance is 800 quid a year. On top of that, tax is 710 a year. My car is a January 2008 car so it's on the older, cheaper tax bracket. From July 2008 onwards, tax was about 1100 as far as I know.

With your commute and a bit of weekend driving, you won't have change out of 150 a week for petrol. 150 x 52 = 7800.

To run a Type R you are looking at an estimated 9.5-10k quid a year to tax, insure and put petrol into it (and that is only for the necessary journeys!). VTEC is addictive and an hour or two of fun driving once a week will use a good bit of petrol and add to your fuel bill. Add in servicing, tyres, etc. and it's getting very expensive to run if you are doing so much mileage. I have had Type R's for the last 8 or 9 years, I absolutely love them and haven't much interest in changing to anything else. But if the car was costing that sort of cash to run, I would be in a diesel car next week!

BDJW wrote: »
    I've no idea how old you are or what your driving experience is, but I have a full no claims bonus, I'm 32, full licence, no points, and don't live in a dodgy area or have a profession that would impact on insurance quotes, and my insurance is 800 quid a year. On top of that, tax is 710 a year. My car is a January 2008 car so it's on the older, cheaper tax bracket. From July 2008 onwards, tax was about 1100 as far as I know.

With your commute and a bit of weekend driving, you won't have change out of 150 a week for petrol. 150 x 52 = 7800.

To run a Type R you are looking at an estimated 9.5-10k quid a year to tax, insure and put petrol into it (and that is only for the necessary journeys!). VTEC is addictive and an hour or two of fun driving once a week will use a good bit of petrol and add to your fuel bill. Add in servicing, tyres, etc. and it's getting very expensive to run if you are doing so much mileage. I have had Type R's for the last 8 or 9 years, I absolutely love them and haven't much interest in changing to anything else. But if the car was costing that sort of cash to run, I would be in a diesel car next week!

i'm 26, full license, 9 years NCB, i would expect insurance in the low 4 figures, €1k - 1200 ish.

say i rock on with the Celica for another year based on last years figures, 800 to insure, 650 to tax (last year had extensive "maintenance" to the tune of nearly €2k) and 100pw x 52 = 8.5k.

now without making it sound like i'm raking it in (i'm not), i'm earning a good bit more than i was last year, so say my yearly "car bill" did go to €10k, that's €1500 more than last year, or €30 quid a week ish.

not trying to defend it, just trying to rationalise the figures.

sure i could buy a used e60 520d and it'd be comfortable and cheap and whatnot. but it wouldn't have as much spirit to drive imo, tax would be cheaper and fuel economy would be better but sure all the savings will be wiped out when it needs a timing chain or DMF or whatever and then for all the money you may or may not have saved you are driving a car you bought that you don't even really like which i think is why the Laguna 3 coupe theory fell down in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

i wasn't aware that the sole purpose of a Type R was to get ragged to death in a Jeremy Clarkson esque style during the process of your daily commute. it's perfectly reasonable to drive a performance car normally day to day and just enjoy it.

anyway, nothing set in stone yet.

No need to throw your toys out of the pram because I don't agree with your reasoning. My point is that 35 mpg imo is not a realistic expectation even if not giving it welly all the time. And with driving 1000 km a week your going to be tempted to drive it spiritedly often enough just to avoid the boredom of a such a regular commute.

Anyway I've given my 2c and I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

There's a lad over on backroads that went from a Megane 225 to a Polo tdi Eco whatever , because of a change to a long commute and has detailed the actual savings per annum, on excel spreadsheets etc etc
    Buy something frugal and comfortable and do a few track days or go racing with the savings .
    http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?11713-The-Mint-My-frugal-daily-drive-experiment&highlight=Mint+polo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Here's the important bit

€7,127 total running costs including depreciation. (Holy f&ckballs but that is an awful lot of money still....cars are expensive!)
    That's €136.68 per week or €0.28 per mile.

Here's where it gets interesting. I've kept the Megane 225 running costs sheet so I can reference it and add the costs that would have come from it over this period. In other words, I have a few extra columns in my current spreadsheet where every time I need a tyre or a service or tax for the Polo I fill in the same data in the Megane column to keep a tracker so I can compare costings and work out roughly how much I have "saved" by giving up the fun daily drive and subjecting myself to The Mint;

Year 1 savings - €4,746, or €0.19 per mile.... So to summarise the figures section, The Mint - because you deserve that €10k before-tax pay rise. (Just a pity all of this "saving" is being diverted into grown-up stuff and not into something fun like, ooh, 1/3 of a 996 for example )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

With the mileage you're doing a DMF replacement or even a dpf failure (not guaranteed) would still have you saving money if you went the diesel route over a couple of years. 1000km a week at 50mpg in a diesel (say 1.20/l) is about €3.5k, 35mpg in a petrol (say 1.30/l) is close on €5.5k in fuel. Unless it's a complete and utter shed you're not going to be throwing that much over a petrol every year.

Flip side is in a petrol your money will most likely buy better/fresher/newer but if you're changing to make a saving buy a comfy pre-dpf slushbox diesel and pocket the extra cash for something else you'd enjoy more.

see that's the thing, i'm not really doing it to save money. this will probably be my last horrah, reasonably commitment free car, before a 4 door diesel is a necessity as opposed to a choice. i don't really have any other past times and i'd rather buy a gallon of oil and a filter than a pair of new shoes for myself. I wouldn't want to drive a car that would cripple me financially, but i think it's well within my financial means to daily a Type R.

driving a diesel daily and having a nice weekend car wouldn't interest me. aside from having 2x cars worth of bills, something i personally don't enjoy is putting a car on a podium, parking it up and throwing sugar at it. one of my favorite things about my Celica is that it's absolutely driven to delight. there was a period of around 3 months last year where i put 1600km a week on it, it's covered in road rash, it's rarely clean, it has 170k miles on the clock and that car just will not give in. I get up every morning, jump into a sports sporty car, drive it and enjoy it, i enjoy the sporty drive, the "power", the feel and the look of it first thing on a Monday morning and last thing on a Friday night. it makes the commute bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Seems like you have your mind made up so get the type R :)

If you can afford it then why not I've never been in that model type R but the previous model I was in (an unmoded 2005 version) and they are very nice serious acceleration and great fun. I think you would quickly get sick of a diesel and if this is your last chance to get a petrol go for it.

• Advertisement

had a good long hard think about this... thinking about a diesel one.

2.0 Type R wets my whistle but my financial controller gave it a swift no :pac:
    1.8 petrol doesn't really offer any benefits over the 1.8 petrol i drive now.

torn between these 3

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2-2-ctdi-s-type-138-bhp-3dr/12315726
    chaeeep tax 09, 3rd in black looks well, semi decent looking dealership

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2-2-i-ctdi-s/12557646
    almost identical to the car above but not having cheap tax makes it €3k cheaper asking which is a tidy saving and those twin sun-roofs are exciting.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-5dr-2-2-diesel-top-spec-with-leather/12562190
    price is right, spec is right, leather, sun-roofs, facelift too, but brown and 5 door but still a looker.

will aim to view some of these before the week is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't buy a civic without the panoramic roof, it just makes them so much nicer.

see that's the thing, i'm not really doing it to save money. this will probably be my last horrah, reasonably commitment free car, before a 4 door diesel is a necessity as opposed to a choice. i don't really have any other past times and i'd rather buy a gallon of oil and a filter than a pair of new shoes for myself. I wouldn't want to drive a car that would cripple me financially, but i think it's well within my financial means to daily a Type R.

driving a diesel daily and having a nice weekend car wouldn't interest me. aside from having 2x cars worth of bills, something i personally don't enjoy is putting a car on a podium, parking it up and throwing sugar at it. one of my favorite things about my Celica is that it's absolutely driven to delight. there was a period of around 3 months last year where i put 1600km a week on it, it's covered in road rash, it's rarely clean, it has 170k miles on the clock and that car just will not give in. I get up every morning, jump into a sports sporty car, drive it and enjoy it, i enjoy the sporty drive, the "power", the feel and the look of it first thing on a Monday morning and last thing on a Friday night. it makes the commute bearable.
    had a good long hard think about this... thinking about a diesel one. ...........

Serious twist in the tail of that story, wasn't expecting that :D

Yeah, i'm a bit of a loose cannon, i'd do it no bother. Ms. Fanboi kindly reminded me that we are perilously close to being first time home buyers and I simply can't have a Civic draining my resources. Then reality sets in, maybe there is more to life than the car. I'm just used to being a feckless, commitment free young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Yeah, i'm a bit of a loose cannon, i'd do it no bother. Ms. Fanboi kindly reminded me that we are perilously close to being first time home buyers and I simply can't have a Civic draining my resources. Then reality sets in, maybe there is more to life than the car. I'm just used to being a feckless, commitment free young lad.

Never mind the civic! Buy the 123d I suggested! And I'll buy it when your done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

What your saying there makes a lot of sense. I'm big into cars but sometimes you have to get your priorities right and the car is not always the number one. I think buying a house is far more important even if it means you do without your first preference of car for a while at least.

I personally plan on buying a house by the time I'm 25 which I think is doable might mean I will have to saceifice the car I want for a few years but to me the house would be more important longterm.

CIP4 wrote: »
    What your saying there makes a lot of sense. I'm big into cars but sometimes you have to get your priorities right and the car is not always the number one. I think buying a house is far more important even if it means you do without your first preference of car for a while at least.

I personally plan on buying a house by the time I'm 25 which I think is doable might mean I will have to saceifice the car I want for a few years but to me the house would be more important longterm.

i'l be 27 shortly and Ms. Fanboi 25, but we've been saving like the kind of cute hoors that Bernard O'Shea would write a breakfast republic parody about.

typical Irish attitude i suppose but we aren't big fans of plowing serious money into renting someone elses substandard sh1thole and i often forget the reality of that.

that's all getting a bit off of the point however. going to have one last scan of donedeal now and then try arrange to view some of those for maybe tomorrow after work. they are all within ten minutes of each other.

I got rid of the nice cars to buy the house. Bought the house and now I'm getting back into the nice cars and got a mondeo st tdci. It's a great all rounder, can be bought quite cheaply, does 50 mpg, reliable, cheap parts if it does go wrong, good spec and leaves most things on the road behind. Slightly high tax but what harm.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2-2-i-ctdi-s/12557646

Went to have a look at this after work as it was only a few minutes away. Didn't call ahead, just rocked up on spec and the lads were closing up when I got there, the car wasn't on site unfortunately.

Anyway, long story short, they will have it there for tomorrow afternoon and I will take a look then. If it's decent I reckon i'l have it.

Biggest concern is buying a seemingly low mileage diesel car from a trader in the Balleymount industrial estate, if anyone else was doing it it'd be red flagging it. I'll motorcheck the car tomorrow, if it passes that and drives ok, i'l probably go for it with the knowledge that my warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Seems like the best compromise of whats out there. Dirty daysul, Type S spec seems the best, it has the mad sunroofs, 3dr in black look smart. If you got it for €5500 it'd be decent deal I think.

Worried about all these clutch horror stories you do see online about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

It's had its wheels swapped to ones from the ES model at some point. It's got 115k miles on it, if the clutch hasn't been done by now budget the cost of it into your decision. It's got a decent chunk of miles on it so expecting it to be going strong at 30k a year for two or three years may be unrealistic. Be weary of Honda part prices too - they're quite steep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I know you've settled on the civic but if I was you I'd consider an Alfa Brera, beautiful rare cars

LG1234 wrote: »
    I know you've settled on the civic but if I was you I'd consider an Alfa Brera, beautiful rare cars

I looked into a brera recently and any reviews said it wrote cheques it can't cash; looks good but a mediocre drive at best

...... why not run the Celica for another 12/18 months?
    Depreciation on whatever you get over that period & cost to change etc will eradicate any savings on fuel presumably.

Very valid point about the Celica, one which I wouldn't usually overlook too.

Honestly I just feel like a bit of a change too tbh. Nothing against the Celica, i've enjoyed my time with it but a change is as good as a rest :)

I went to view that black one today, it was a shed. Plenty of knocks and rattles while driving, 4 knackered "Jinyu" tyres, destroyed in scratches and scrapes and has an ill fitting accident repair on thr passenger front corner.

Service history? Nah. Is it UK? We don't know. Would you take 5250? Yes. Those three questions speak volumes, not least point blank accepting such a **** offer with no haggling.

The diesel was an ok drive, I thought it would be a bit pokier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The black paint on those civics is very soft and hard to keep.

Good ones go for big money. Good ones throw you into the seat in mid-range.

Under a small bit of time pressure now, the Celica has **** itself in a spectacular fashion. Puts me in the unenviable position of having to buy a car quickly. Started a new job there a foetnight ago too, so not in a position for dicking around or asking for free time etc.

Thinking about heading out and buying this Monday after work as it's very close by. It's a fairly safe bet, use it to keep me going until i'm settled in the job a few months then revisit this again.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-avensis-1-8-luna-automatic-nct-04-17/12546096

Typical of that Celica, the one time I was relying on it. It's either that or rent an enterprise car for a week or two because right now I have no car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Ah ****. What happened the Celica???

Would you not consider going low end bangernimics until you get a chance to look at a few more expensive cars? That way you can make sure (as best as possible) to get a good one? Just for a couple of weeks like?

Brake master cylinder went, it has no pedal at all, ****ing **** of a thing, just went all of a sudden. it was an absolute trojan of a car but the one week I needed it... want to make a good impression in work and having my banger on one of their lifts probably isn't doing that.

Cheapest one I can source is €450 and I really dont know is the Celica worth pumping anything more into.

Sick of the whole cars thing right now. Just need 4 wheels, a seat and reliability right now.

Biggest problem is i literally have no car sorted at all for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What's the panic? You still have the Glanza, no?

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    What's the panic? You still have the Glanza, no?

It's been off the road the last 2 years, so theres no paperwork to jump in and drive.

Advertisement