Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free tea and coffee

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

It's never free in any civil service job anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Worked in a large software company and there was a large kitchen and canteen area. In this kitchen there were multiple fridges and cupboards containing:

Milk
    Bottles of Tropicana
    cans of Coke, Pepsi, Fanta, Club Orange
    Bowls of cheese and cherry tomatoes
    Olives
    All types of bread
    Muesli, Cornflakes, Granola, Weetabix, Bran Flakes, Special K
    Apples, oranges, bananas, pears, plums, kiwi fruits
    Dispensers chucking out M&M's, chocolate raisins, etc
    Drawers full of miniature Bountys, Mars, Toffee Crisp, Kitkats, Rolo's and two-piece packs of chocolate chip cookies, hob-nobs, shortbread biscuits.

All free :D

Oh and there were a couple of cappucino machines too as well as a boiling water machines and boxes of tea-bags AND sachets of cup-a-soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Free tea/coffee/milk here but the effort of making it. Just pop out and have someone make you one, so although it's free we still pay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

osarusan wrote: »
    The rest of the time...how many cups are you drinking?
    Usually just a Costa in the morning and a tea in the afternoon. Have instant coffee here too if it's a particularly bad day...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

They're supplying free tea and coffee because of what they put into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

HensVassal wrote: »
    Worked in a large software company and there was a large kitchen and canteen area. In this kitchen there were multiple fridges and cupboards containing:

Milk
    Bottles of Tropicana
    cans of Coke, Pepsi, Fanta, Club Orange
    Bowls of cheese and cherry tomatoes
    Olives
    All types of bread
    Muesli, Cornflakes, Granola, Weetabix, Bran Flakes, Special K
    Apples, oranges, bananas, pears, plums, kiwi fruits
    Dispensers chucking out M&M's, chocolate raisins, etc
    Drawers full of miniature Bountys, Mars, Toffee Crisp, Kitkats, Rolo's and two-piece packs of chocolate chip cookies, hob-nobs, shortbread biscuits.

All free :D

Oh and there were a couple of cappucino machines too as well as a boiling water machines and boxes of tea-bags AND sachets of cup-a-soup.

Did people start to resemble sumo wrestlers after a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

mariaalice wrote: »
    Did people start to resemble sumo wrestlers after a while

:eek:
    I'm glad you don't work here. Gruel and water eh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

worked in a place years back where you had to pay for tea/coffee/milk/sugar. I think it was a tenner a month. I used to drink my own freeze dried coffee and used the milk provided but still had to pay for the rest of the stuff I didn't use ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Most places where I worked, you had to buy your own but there was a microwave, fridge, toaster or a canteen.

One place provided the milk, tea and coffee and they had a hot chocolate machine too. And a massage chair that noone ever seemed to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Out me social club pays for it through membership subs. We basically pay €2 a week which covers tea coffee sugar and milk and full Sky HD package. It's a preset good deal considering I could drink up to 5 cups of coffee some days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

We get free lunches and tea and coffee etc where I work now. It's handy as I never have to make sure I have enough cash on me for lunch or drinks every day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

biko wrote: »
    Most/all places I've worked have had canteen and I had to pay for tea/coffee.
    It's usually 50 cents or a euro so won't break the bank anyway.

Must be nice to have one of those posh jobs where stuff come for free :D

It's posh places that have their own canteen:p

In a vet practice, you might have to eat your lunch next to some ripe clinical waste but you can have all the tea and coffee you want:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

IBM has an overpriced Costa Coffee on site and substandard kitchen facilities to make your own coffee/tea etc.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Place I work in now has a pretty nice set up. They have some fancy coffee machine leased, so as many cappuccino / double espressos / tea as you like. Too many to be honest. We also get lunch on Monday (carnage) and Scones / Sausage rolls on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Worked in a printers when i was in my teens. Had to pay £1 a week towards the tea, coffee, milk and sugar. Didnt mind at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Tea and coffee (and milk/sugar) supplied where I am, and there's nearly always cake somewhere as people get together to either buy a cake or make one when there's a birthday or someone's leaving.

S'lovely place. Although fortunately, I'm not much of a cake person.

Hm, maybe I'll make a batch of scones and bring them in Monday for folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Free tea and coffee, there's a range of tea on offer, the coffee selection isn't great though. On the plus side it's delivered to the desk!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Knew a bloke who worked in a place where they had beer taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

HensVassal wrote: »
    Knew a bloke who worked in a place where they had beer taps.

By any chance was it a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Bloody PG Tips. . .I'll stick to water, thanks

We do get a discount in the pub built into the ground floor of the building!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

We have multiple kitchenettes on each floor with free coffee machines, milk, tea bags etc. There's also a barista in the cafeteria where you can get a cappuccino or whatever for €1. With the amount of coffee I drink, I should probably be paying additional tax for BIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

free tea,coffee milk sugar etc.. only thing is its barrys tea

o i only have about 6 cups a day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Shenshen wrote: »
    I used to work in a call centre where there was a "subsidised" canteen (which still somehow managed to be more expensive that any cafe I've ever been to). But hot water and sugar were for free if you brought your own tea bags.

The place I work in now is unreal when it comes to looking after their employees. Coffee and tea are free, as are milk and sugar. They bring in fresh fruit a few times a week, there's always some sort of biscuits and soft frinks. They even have butter, salt, vinegar, olive oil, etc in the fridge/cupboards for all to use. Anything you might need to put together your lunchtime salad.
    This sounds exactly like where my son works....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My place has a fancy coffee/tea making machine where you can get all types of coffee for free.
    We also have tea bags and instant coffee.
    We also have a Nespresso machine but you need to join a gang to get in on ordering the pods in bulk.
    Everything is free.

We also have fridges where we can keep our own stuff. Sometimes we get visitors in the office who think the fridges are also free food. It's hilarious when there is a table of colleagues visiting our office from abroad sitting there chowing down on about 5 or 6 peoples lunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

We have free tea & coffee and kitchen facilities to heat up lunches.

Every so often the boss will shell out on a packet of biscuits. If it's rich tea, then you know it's just an ordinary day. But if the chocolate digestives arrive you know there's a bigshot coming in for a meeting, so you'll be on best behaviour i.e. Boards usage declines dramatically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

We all chip in €3 a week and that buys tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits for the week. We also get scones on a Monday out of that.

Sometimes we go mental and give an extra euro on a Wednesday or Thursday and get a cake or sausage rolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Paying for tea onsite? F*ck that for a lark.

As a trade union organiser one of the first campaigns we go in for in largely unorganised places is getting a tea station or more microwaves for people don't spend half of their break in a queue. I always find people really respond to it and achieving it gives them a sense of their own power as a collective.

A cup of scald is the least you could be given at work.

Theres a swanky coffee machine in our little department kitchen, and some decent facilities. You don't pay for anything, but I bring in my own supply of teabags from the mercy packages my family send me, teabags aren't usually supplied and when they were they were dreadful. There's also a much fancier faculty dining room where I can get served coffee, drinks and meals in a bar like setting, or seated at meals, but usually I go to the closer dining room that everyone uses.

When I first came to the US as a student I was asked if I'd like tea or coffee, I asked for tea with milk and the person warmed up ice tea and put milk in it. I'm still suffering considerable trauma from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not free, as such. But I threaten to cut people if they try to stop me or make me pay. I don't get invited to social events but, free coffee.

Advertisement