Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free tea and coffee

Options
  • 10-05-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭

I would take free tea, coffee and milk for granted in a work situation I haven't had many jobs in my life but every where had free tea, coffee and milk.

Have you ever had to work somewhere where you had to pay for tea/ coffee and milk? to me it is the ultimate in stinginess if you are asked to pay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Not pay as such but I have worked in many offices where you would have to bring your own tea/coffee and milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

eezipc wrote: »
    Not pay as such but I have worked in many offices where you would have to bring your own tea/coffee and milk.

That is as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Never heard of having to pay for a coffee or a tea. Worked in a few places that has their own barista and even one that delivered to your desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Worked in a wholesaler in the late 90s. Warehouse and cash and carry downstairs FULL of coffee, biscuits, tea etc.

We office drones used to bring our own little jars of Maxwell House (yeah, I know, gank) in with us and guard them jealously in our desk drawers after tea break.

I went to the warehouse canteen a few times and they were always "accidentally" dropping stuff and appropriating it for their breals :D

The next job I was in, not food related, supplied everything for us, massive box of biscuits every couple of weeks. Subsidised canteen where I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Never worked in a place which supplied that.

The places would have a fridge, microwave, kettle, and so on, but people brought their own tea, coffee, milk, sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Free tea and coffee? You lot probably don't like the idea of paying for your bin collection or even some sort of water rates!

Where I work, there's a canteen for that sort of thing, where you pay. In the offices, Staff seem to have different rules, having their own milk and tea reserves, but I don't know who pays for it. I have a office but I'm not 'Staff'. (We look upon them with disdain.)

Also, I don't drink tea or coffee so I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

In my last job they had an on-site O'Briens, €2+ for a coffee.
    You could also get instant coffee from the canteen for about a euro but it was in a tiny, horrible polystyrene cup.
    They even charged you for hot water if you brought your own teabags :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Free coffee, tea, soda, water, fruit, sandwiches and meals when i go to work, unfortuntately they stopped the cheese plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If you have to pay for tae, it's time to walk away.

Everywhere should offer free tea or coffee, homes, shops, businesses. If you can't offer someone a wee cup in their hand you're good for nothing in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most/all places I've worked have had canteen and I had to pay for tea/coffee.
    It's usually 50 cents or a euro so won't break the bank anyway.

Must be nice to have one of those posh jobs where stuff come for free :D

mcgovern wrote: »
    In my last job they had an on-site O'Briens, €2+ for a coffee.
    You could also get instant coffee from the canteen for about a euro but it was in a tiny, horrible polystyrene cup.
    They even charged you for hot water if you brought your own teabags :o

Charging for hot water!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Those catering boxes of tea and coffee are never the May West

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Worked in AIB in the 90s.
    They had coffee docks that served Tea and Coffee and scones etc. Was subsidised but you had to pay.

I think they still do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

If you have to pay for tae, it's time to walk away.

That's my new philosophy on life. Love it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I used to work in a call centre where there was a "subsidised" canteen (which still somehow managed to be more expensive that any cafe I've ever been to). But hot water and sugar were for free if you brought your own tea bags.

The place I work in now is unreal when it comes to looking after their employees. Coffee and tea are free, as are milk and sugar. They bring in fresh fruit a few times a week, there's always some sort of biscuits and soft frinks. They even have butter, salt, vinegar, olive oil, etc in the fridge/cupboards for all to use. Anything you might need to put together your lunchtime salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

We have free tea and coffee in the breakrooms that are located on every floor. Lots of people still bring in their own if they only like a particular brand of tea, and the machine coffee is only so-so.

We also have Costa which is subsidised if you want proper barista coffee.

We get our lunches free every day, and breakfast is very cheap in the canteen if you want it. Only problem is trying not to get fat.

The slight downside is that because so much is provided, they won't let us have fridges/microwaves in the breakrooms as apparently we have no need for them. Kind of annoying if you're trying to eat your own food for whatever reason (usually if you're trying to lose weight!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Free tea and coffee where I work. There is absolute carnage on a Friday when the milk reserves start to deplete...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you worked for me you wouldn't have time to drink tea or coffee.

Notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nothing free, there's a Costa on premises which is cheaper than they usually are, but still 1.60 for a coffee so I can only justify one a day. I just use my own for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I work from home, so I have to pay for all my tea, coffee, and milk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

kneemos wrote: »

Notions.
    Would we have time to ask silly questions all day? :pac:

kneemos wrote: »

Notions.

I know the next thing, people will expect the place to be heated in the winter! free tea and coffee is only the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Used to put 2 euro a week towards tea, coffee & milk in my last place. If the funds built up enough, they'd buy a cake with it on a Friday.
    Now I get free tea, coffee (proper coffee machine - freshly ground beans), milk, fruit and lunch from donnybrook fair.

d31b0y wrote: »
    Used to put 2 euro a week towards tea, coffee & milk in my last place. If the funds built up enough, they'd buy a cake with it on a Friday.
    Now I get free tea, coffee (proper coffee machine - freshly ground beans), milk, fruit and lunch from donnybrook fair.

Lunch form Donnybrook fair that a good perk the food is yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

d31b0y wrote: »

Yumm, can I have a job there please ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Epicbutterfly

I used to work in an office that we paid for milk monthly. Can't for the life of me remember how much but at least €4 a month between 10 of us or more.

What's worse is one of the girls in the office would have a spreadsheet on her PC or how much people owed. Some of my colleagues would never pay but drink tea and coffee to their hearts content.

Another massive pain was,our office was on the first floor and the tea and coffee facilities were on the second. You would have to make a round of tea and coffees for the whole team when you went to make tea or coffee! I'd have a tray and carry 8-9 mugs of coffee down a flight of stairs for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

3 euro a week in our tea club in work. Gets you tea/coffee/sugar/butter/biscuits/jam. The odd time we get donuts or Gurr cakes.

Maybe twice a year we go out on money in tea club, sometimes a dinner can be paid for and we pick up drinks tab etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nothing free, there's a Costa on premises which is cheaper than they usually are, but still 1.60 for a coffee so I can only justify one a day. I just use my own for the rest of the day.
    The rest of the time...how many cups are you drinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

mad m wrote: »
    3 euro a week in our tea club in work. Gets you tea/coffee/sugar/butter/biscuits/jam. The odd time we get donuts or Gurr cakes.

Maybe twice a year we go out on money in tea club, sometimes a dinner can be paid for and we pick up drinks tab etc.

I really don't think you should be talking about Tea Club...

Advertisement