Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you live without your credit card?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

o1s1n wrote: »
    The problem with this is if someone skims your debit card online they are literally emptying your current account - which you've to try to recoup from the bank. Its a direct link to you cash.

If someone does the same with your credit card it doesn't threaten your current account. If something goes wrong it's just credit that's stolen, which you can just let the bank deal with. You still have all your money.

Its a really useful extra layer of protection when buying online. There's not a chance I'd enter my debit card details into a site, ever.

I know, my sister's debit card was skimmed and it took a few weeks to get the money back from the bank.

That's why I also have "emergency" cash in my purse at all times, and some savings that a trusted family member holds for me in their safe.

As for online shopping, I only use trusted sites, haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

After a particularly wild night in a club I don't carry cards when I drink :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭jh79

o1s1n wrote: »
    The problem with this is if someone skims your debit card online they are literally emptying your current account - which you've to try to recoup from the bank. Its a direct link to you cash.

If someone does the same with your credit card it doesn't threaten your current account. If something goes wrong it's just credit that's stolen, which you can just let the bank deal with. You still have all your money.

Its a really useful extra layer of protection when buying online. There's not a chance I'd enter my debit card details into a site, ever.

I have a seperate account for debit card transactions, transfer money into it using my banking app when i need to buy something online or in a shop. Never use the debit card on my main account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've had to rent cars several times over each of the last 6ish years and I refuse to pay for their own inflated insurance policies so I need the CC for the excess deposit. Now that I think of it, that's very possibly the only time my CC gets used. I'd normally go with the visa debit card for standard purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I got one when I was 19 when I went to America for a summer "just incase". The max is €650 so can't go too crazy with it. I used it quite a lot when I was a student as I was often broke. Didn't use it for about 3 years until this year when I needed it again. Handy to have but don't need one with a €1000+ limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

snubbleste wrote: »
    You pay €30pa tax just for the privilege of a credit card.
    Why would you do that when there are other options?

Because a credit card offers a level of security & convenience the other options cannot match. Try checking into a decent hotel , renting a car without jumping through hoops or disputing a transaction you believe to be fraudulent with these other options & the benefits of having a cc would become abundantly clear.

I travel with work quite a bit & routinely use my visa card for hotels, rental cars & even flights on occasion. By the time the card falls due for payment, I'll have had expenses reimbursed & settle the balance in full. There's no way on earth I'd be dipping into my current account to cover such expenditure & tbh €30pa is a modest price to pay for what the card delivers in terms of pure convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Only have it for hiring cars on holliers, and security deposit at hotels.

Use Debit card for everything else.

Like many, in my youth a CC was free cash, but it wasn't was it? Hard lesson learned there, never to be repeated!

Handy to have for emergencies if the other cards don't work or something like that. Otherwise, I suppose I could live without it if I didn't have to hire a car now and then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Collie D wrote: »
    Going to France for Euros next month and have topped it with the price of hotels rather than leaving the cash in current account where it will be spent. Came in handy recently when I lost my debit card and had no cash to get home.

It's a good idea but if there's a positive balance on it, my understanding is that it won't be covered if anyone skims it etc, money will be 100% gone.

I have a couple, one with a tiny limit and one with a less tiny limit. Got it raised a while back to go on a holiday, no bother. Pay em off each month. Have more than enough cash to cover them if I were ever stuck.

I do use one of them shopping a fair bit since it's contactless so it's very handy

I was very glad to have the tiny limit card recently as the details were stolen somehow, bank were on the ball and rejected an attempted Argos purchase for more than the limit as potential fraud, rang me, etc. I've literally only used it on paypal so who knows

The one I had was I think a 10k limit or something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I got one in my early 20s when I was going to the US. Just for emergencies. I never abused it, but I find it really useful for bookings, etc. Stuff you don't want to pay for in advance, or to make a payment when you won't have the cash for another month. I think I've only paid interest on it once, and that was because I had day slippage - just completely forgot to pay until a couple of days too late!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Use mine for most day to day purchases. It's essentially like a charge card though, gets cleared with a direct debit from my current account every month - no fees.

Much more convenient for certain things than a debit card. Allows you to put most of your money into a term deposit account because of credit period rather than needing to keep it earning 0% in a current account.

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's a good idea but if there's a positive balance on it, my understanding is that it won't be covered if anyone skims it etc, money will be 100% gone.

I have a couple, one with a tiny limit and one with a less tiny limit. Got it raised a while back to go on a holiday, no bother. Pay em off each month. Have more than enough cash to cover them if I were ever stuck.

I do use one of them shopping a fair bit since it's contactless so it's very handy

I was very glad to have the tiny limit card recently as the details were stolen somehow, bank were on the ball and rejected an attempted Argos purchase for more than the limit as potential fraud, rang me, etc. I've literally only used it on paypal so who knows

Same as yourself, was abroad, and I do not know how it happened, I am so careful LOL, but the day I returned the card was being used to book holidays. Not by me. Bank on straight away, and refunded quickly, I had to sign an indemnity, and all was well.

Keep on eye on your internet bank stuff folks, fraudulent use can happen to anyone, no matter how careful you think you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Use an AmEx on a reward program that I use almost as a current account, clear it off every Wednesday and Saturday so I don't get hit by the APR on monthly bills.

- What do you use your credit card for?........

I use CC for everything possible, I pay them off 100% monthly so in addition to the must have element for booking and buying online etc I significantly reduce transaction costs on ATM withdrawals / debit card purchases etc.

It's also free credit for 30 days.

Great value all considered imo.

The one I had was I think a 10k limit or something stupid.

I also have a stupid limit, but kept it thank you, on the basis that if I was abroad and had to have medical treatment, or get home in a hurry, I could pay on the spot, and claim it back later through travel insurance. Just peace of mind.

snubbleste wrote: »
    You pay €30pa tax just for the privilege of a credit card.
    Why would you do that when there are other options?

Are the other options free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I don't have a credit card and I don't know if I'd ever get one. My mam drilled into us as kids to never buy anything unless we have the cash sitting in our accounts and that's something I've stuck with since.

Exact same here.
    My mum does have a credit card but it was only used for emergencies (flying to London when sibling was suddenly in hospital and such things).

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Because a credit card offers a level of security & convenience the other options cannot match. Try checking into a decent hotel , renting a car without jumping through hoops or disputing a transaction you believe to be fraudulent with these other options & the benefits of having a cc would become abundantly clear.

I travel with work quite a bit & routinely use my visa card for hotels, rental cars & even flights on occasion. By the time the card falls due for payment, I'll have had expenses reimbursed & settle the balance in full. There's no way on earth I'd be dipping into my current account to cover such expenditure & tbh €30pa is a modest price to pay for what the card delivers in terms of pure convenience.

what kind of hassle do you experience booking hotels with a debit?

I've booked the Gresham, a Hilton, a Raddisson (all in Ireland), some 4 stars in London, all with a debit card and no issues.

My dad booked and paid for an 18 day trip to the Seychelles (flights, hotels, transfers, no travel agent bollocks) all with his debit card too, with no issues.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Still remember the number of my first credit card. Alas it's end date was some time around 1982

At one stage I would and would pretty much max out my credit. Could get over 50 grand now across various cards now if I wanted to. Pay off whatever i do spend every month though.

I could certainly live without a credit card nowadays. Not sure my kids could live without it mind.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Have a debit card alright but never a credit and have no need for one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know, my sister's debit card was skimmed and it took a few weeks to get the money back from the bank.

That's why I also have "emergency" cash in my purse at all times, and some savings that a trusted family member holds for me in their safe.

As for online shopping, I only use trusted sites, haven't had any issues.

If that works for you, grand :) Just seems like a lot of hassle when you can just use a credit card to separate your current account and online purchases instead of worrying about cash/safes etc.

If you pay off a credit card in full every month it's only really 'credit' in name, you're just using your cash in a different way which offers more security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

what kind of hassle do you experience booking hotels with a debit?

Many hotels routinely place a hold on x amount to cover themselves, reducing your current account by a corresponding amount. It's a frequent enough occurrence that those funds then take an inordinate amount of time to be released back to you from the merchant. So guest calls hotel to complain, hotel blames your bank.

Guess what the bank tells ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Never had one. Now, to be fair, I'm still relatively young, never had to buy a house or a car or anything that requires excellent credit and maybe a loan*. But I was hitting adulthood when the boom was still going (just), but I was already seeing the horror stories and I didn't trust the "GET A CREDIT CARD ALL SORTS OF WONDERFUL THINGS WILL HAPPEN" ads so I didn't.

So far, VISA debit has done for me, I can use the card to pay, including online, and if I'm out of money, I'm out of money. At least I'm not in debt to the bank (although I am in debt to my mother).

*This may come back to bite me in the ass when eventually I -do- need it.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Many hotels routinely place a hold on x amount to cover themselves, reducing your current account by a corresponding amount. It's a frequent enough occurrence that those funds then take an inordinate amount of time to be released back to you from the merchant. So guest calls hotel to complain, hotel blames your bank.

Guess what the bank tells ya?

I've never had it happen. one place in London wanted £100 cash deposit but I knew that in advance.

Guess I've been quite lucky!

I have a credit card for travel, and I get decent free travel insurance for any trips I book with it. I've never paid any interest, it's paid off very promptly. I could live without it, but it's handy enough just for the travel bookings.

I use a debit card all the time, usually have very little cash on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

Samaris wrote: »
    Never had one. Now, to be fair, I'm still relatively young, never had to buy a house or a car or anything that requires excellent credit and maybe a loan*. But I was hitting adulthood when the boom was still going (just), but I was already seeing the horror stories and I didn't trust the "GET A CREDIT CARD ALL SORTS OF WONDERFUL THINGS WILL HAPPEN" ads so I didn't.

So far, VISA debit has done for me, I can use the card to pay, including online, and if I'm out of money, I'm out of money. At least I'm not in debt to the bank (although I am in debt to my mother).

*This may come back to bite me in the ass when eventually I -do- need it.

Aaahh, the Irish Mammy - the best credit institution in the country, with the accompanying "Now don't tell any of the rest of them I gave you that"

I find it strange someone not having a credit card in this day and age it's basically an essential. I have one since I started college and never had any problem ending up in debt with it. I either use cash or my credit card rarely use the debit card any more after getting skimmed and my account emptied one of the very few times I use my debit card online (almost always used the credit card online). No way would I use a debit card online at all any more.

I don't treat it as credit really though and pay it off or mostly most months. It's also essential to have one for work travel. I could spend a few hundred euro on a few days away with work (or much more if it's a us trip), no way I want to be using money from my current account for that.

Don't see how people have so much difficulty controlling themselves with a credit card. I got a new card recently too with a much higher limit and it also give me cash back on many transactions. It's only a few cent here and there but it adds up to a few euro in the month if you use the card a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I use mine but it is paid off in full before the bill is due. Ireland is very behind in terms of a decent card with any kind of rewards or cash back. I have one from Amazon and the other from Barclaycard that has no foreign transaction fees of any kind so can use when abroad, 5% cash back on purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ruu wrote: »
    I have ..... the other from Barclaycard that has no foreign transaction fees of any kind so can use when abroad
    You might want to check that - they certainly used to hide their fees within the exchange rate they used.

Advertisement