Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you live without your credit card?

Options
  • 07-05-2016 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

We got a credit card a few years back, not because we wanted one, but it was needed to book holidays online, rent a car etc.
    Outside of this we rarely use it, we bring it on holiday's in case debit cards aren't accepted, or an unforseen emergency.

I couldn't help but notice, that credit cards are been used to pay for daily shopping, and even buying a round in the local boozer.

- What do you use your credit card for?
    - How much is your balance?
    - Could you live without it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Use it for most things, cheaper than visa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I use mine to buy plane tickets, hotel rooms and socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

27, I've never had one and never intend to get one. If I want something, I'll save for it rather than use a credit card. I've booked holidays on my debit card with no issues, hotels have always accepted them, and I carry cash for spending money on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

With bank charges being the norm now again it works out cheaper to use my credit card like a charge card so as to avoid fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

- How much is your balance?

What is your credit card number?

Can you send on a copy of your photo ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I had to get one for a holiday about 10 years back, since then it's been used for emergencies.
    Debit card all the way,very rarely use cash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I don't have a credit card and I don't know if I'd ever get one. My mam drilled into us as kids to never buy anything unless we have the cash sitting in our accounts and that's something I've stuck with since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I don't have a credit card just the debit card. If I buy something I want to pay for it there and then not put it off and pay for it with interest a month down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have one and very very rarely use it. I tend to use my debit card and cash most of the time. The only time I tend to use credit cards is when I am checking into a hotel, some want you to leave credit card details rather that debit card details. However I normally settle my hotel bill with my debit card on checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I use mine when I'm poor :pac: So might put going to the dentist on it and tax while I save up over the month to pay it back.

They are a bollox though when you get into proper debt, I worked hard to get mine down to zero the last while and intend to use it as an emergency card while my number26 card will be for day to day since everything is free and has the best conversion rates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You pay €30pa tax just for the privilege of a credit card.
    Why would you do that when there are other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I don't have a credit card and I don't know if I'd ever get one. My mam drilled into us as kids to never buy anything unless we have the cash sitting in our accounts and that's something I've stuck with since.

It's in their interest to have you in debt..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Had one years ago and abused it, tore it up and (eventually) paid it up.

Got one a few months ago now that I'm more mature and financially stable. Going to France for Euros next month and have topped it with the price of hotels rather than leaving the cash in current account where it will be spent. Came in handy recently when I lost my debit card and had no cash to get home.

So handy for holidays and emergencies if used sensibly. I've been both a sensible and unsensible credit card holder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

snubbleste wrote: »
    You pay €30pa tax just for the privilege of a credit card.
    Why would you do that when there are other options?

Two words

Incidental hold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

30 years ago, when I was in 20 and college, I had a credit card, then I lost my job and had a terrible time paying it back. Since then, I have been a credit card refusenik; I can count on one hand the number of times when it has even been an issue. There have been zero times when I needed one and had no other option.

People moan to me about being in debt. I haven't had debt in more than 25 years. None. None whatsoever. Those same people sigh, "I wish I was like you".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I only have it for car rental. I generally have to pre-load it to cover the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Don't have one, no intentions of ever getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got a UK one for emergencies, flights, hotels etc.
    Rarely use it. And no annual fee.

Currently have no money on it.

so yes, I could live without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

credit cards are been used

-_-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I got one when I was 18, boom time, lots of money. Only too delighted to give me one. I got into so much trouble with it. Disaster. I was making payments that weren't even covering the interest. My dad found out, paid it off and cut it up.
    Was recently in the bank and the lady suggested I apply for one "for emergencies", no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

eviltwin wrote: »
    Don't have one, no intentions of ever getting one.

Excellent idea for some; not for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Can you send on a copy of your photo ID?

Alright Tesco Mobile, calm down. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Yes I have one. Originally got it for a holiday I think but also if you use it properly, it's a good way to keep your credit rating positive or to start building a credit rating history.

Some places won't give loans/finance if you ever needed it, if you have no credit rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't have a credit card just the debit card. If I buy something I want to pay for it there and then not put it off and pay for it with interest a month down the line.

You don't pay any interest if you pay it off a month down the line, it's when pay the minimum that interest hits in. You get free money for a month.
    Collie D wrote: »
    Had one years ago and abused it, tore it up and (eventually) paid it up.

Got one a few months ago now that I'm more mature and financially stable. Going to France for Euros next month and have topped it with the price of hotels rather than leaving the cash in current account where it will be spent. Came in handy recently when I lost my debit card and had no cash to get home.

So handy for holidays and emergencies if used sensibly. I've been both a sensible and unsensible credit card holder

When you use a credit card you have protection from the bank, when you load it with cash a lot of these protections are gone. You are always better off using the banks money and then paying off in full, since banks will chase their money if there's a problem but they don't care about yours.

Mr Bank cut mine in front of me a number of years ago. I was an awful divil with it. Holidays, handbags, luxury skin care, expensive hotels, you name it. It had to be done. I got in to awful debt with it. So now I'm credit card free and debt free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm 28 and have never had and won't think about getting one til I have a steady job.

I've lasted this long perfectly fine without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have several cards but use cash as much as possible.

#notracking #cashisking

• Registered Users Posts: 34,693 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

27, I've never had one and never intend to get one. If I want something, I'll save for it rather than use a credit card. I've booked holidays on my debit card with no issues, hotels have always accepted them, and I carry cash for spending money on holidays.

The problem with this is if someone skims your debit card online they are literally emptying your current account - which you've to try to recoup from the bank. Its a direct link to you cash.

If someone does the same with your credit card it doesn't threaten your current account. If something goes wrong it's just credit that's stolen, which you can just let the bank deal with. You still have all your money.

Its a really useful extra layer of protection when buying online. There's not a chance I'd enter my debit card details into a site, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Got rid of my credit card last year and don't regret it for a minute. Now my only debt is my mortgage.

If I want to buy something online I either use a prepaid card or give the cash to my OH and put it on his credit card.

Advertisement