Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it rude to demand that passengers in a car not talk when your driving?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I remember for the 1st couple of weeks of driving thinking that I genuinely had no idea how anyone could concentrate on driving with the radio/music on on the car. Couldn't do without it now though. No talking either? Were they even allowed to talk to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I don't care if the music is blaring, people are chatting, babies are crying ( ok I hate that) or the car is silent I'll drive the way I usually drive, with confidence and focus. The only thing I will not have in my car is smoking...I dint smoke so fudge the ones who do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

OP got banned. Anyway, I think the clues were in the OP as to what the real issue is. Devil is in the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

I'm 21 and started driving when I was 18. People say I am a pretty focused driver. This is because I don't have the radio on, listen to music, or talk to people ever. I was driving with some of my friends once and they said I was a bit rude for not talking to them throughout the whole journey from Dublin to Galway. But to be honest, I would rather be rude than risk being paralyzed in a car accident.

Off the road though I am a very hyper individual. I have had trouble focusing on many tasks so I would rather prefer when I'm doing something dangerous to put try to focus as best as possible.

Would you agree with me or do you think a might be rude and controlling?

It's usually just myself, [the driver!], in my car. Usually with the radio off - I'm content enough with a bit of peace and quiet - the occasional light-hearted banter with other road-users, "You twat!", "What the .... are you doing?!", "Indicate, indicate!!"
    Once every three weeks I drive a friend into work for a week. He literally talks as he's getting into the car - and he's still talking as he gets out. For all I know he carries on talking to himself as I drive off.
    His droning was distracting until I stopped listening, [about two years ago], - I just throw in the odd "yeah" now and then.
    A while back a woman drove out of a side road, smashed into my car and wrote it off - police, ambulance, the works.
    He continued talking as she was about to crash into my flank - even as I uttered the famous last words, "She's not stopping!"
    As we were sent spinning down the road, amidst breaking glass, screeching tyres and me praying that we wouldn't turn over - I realised that he had finally STOPPED TALKING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭zSparc

Would you agree with me or do you think a might be rude and controlling?
    I agree 100% - I don't talk much while driving, I just switch off and focus on the road. All people in the car and their lives are in my hands (and other fellow drivers, cyclists, pedestrians too, for that matter). I call it responsibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement