Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it rude to demand that passengers in a car not talk when your driving?

Options
  • 07-05-2016 11:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

I'm 21 and started driving when I was 18. People say I am a pretty focused driver. This is because I don't have the radio on, listen to music, or talk to people ever. I was driving with some of my friends once and they said I was a bit rude for not talking to them throughout the whole journey from Dublin to Galway. But to be honest, I would rather be rude than risk being paralyzed in a car accident.

Off the road though I am a very hyper individual. I have had trouble focusing on many tasks so I would rather prefer when I'm doing something dangerous to put try to focus as best as possible.

Would you agree with me or do you think a might be rude and controlling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Nah, whatever. I wouldn't like to be driving with you that length though but that's neither here nor there

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

No music and no conversation for 2+ hours? Once you let me know in advance that's fine.

It's all well and good staring out the window but the midlands does tend to repeat itself after a few minutes. I would just lie across the backseat and bring a colouring book so that I don't get bored.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dublin to Galway with no music or conversation? Jaysus. I'd have sang all the lyrics to three CDs worth of music on a trip that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

If your that easily distracted or nervous from driving then I wouldn't want to get into a car at all with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Are you a focus driver?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

If you can't drive and talk at the same time you shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Its not rude just ****ing weird .

How are you that easily distracted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I spy with my little eye ...
    great fun for three hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Your not the next James Corden , are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

But to be honest, I would rather be rude than risk being paralyzed in a car accident.

Daddy or chips eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Are you a focus driver?

He just likes to Micra manage his passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

armaghlad wrote: »
    If you can't drive and talk at the same time you shouldn't be driving.

Ah, but if you can't drive without talking or blasting out tunes you shouldn't be driving either.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Your car, your rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Did you tell your driving test examiner to quit talking to you aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I'm new to driving so can't yet engage in conversation with my passengers yet as it distracts me too much, but I do subject them to a live performance of Beyoncé's new album while I drive, most of them would probably prefer silence :pac:
    It's not rude op but it'd be awkward for them i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Sometimes I need a bit of peace when doing a tricky manoeuvre or at a busy roundabout, junction, carpark etc... but general driving, and not feeling comfortable enough to talk... I wouldn't feel safe driving with someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Much like driving, being able to hold a conversation while maintaining focus takes practise. Surely when you were learning to drive you would have had your instructor talking to you and you would have been even worse at driving than you are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

I lower the volume of the radio "to see better" when I'm in tricky intersections with lots of traffic or stuff like that, but it's going to be only for a few seconds. Same if I'm talking to my passengers, I'd just stop talking for a second and wait to complete my manoeuvre.

But 2 hours without talking? It's a bit weird. Maybe you need more practice, as it sounds you're very insecure even after three years of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you can't drive on a motorway (or any road) without being able to talk or have a radio/music on then you shouldn't be driving IMO

I do a lot of driving and always have either the news or music on, or I'll be talking to someone in the car or on the handsfree kit. There's times I'll drift off mid-sentence as something catches my eye on the road (like being able to read the traffic around you so that you can tell that that eejit is about to try and pull out in front of you etc), or I'll go quiet for a minute while at a busy intersection etc.

You need to learn how to multitask, anticipate, and prioritise OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

make sure to put the "breathe in, breathe out" tape on the radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

The road to Galway is boring enough as it is. I hate driving on motorways; think I'd go mad/fall asleep if I couldn't talk to someone or listen to the radio.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you want to know what rudeness is ?

I used to insist on my passengers not talking. They reported me to the Carriage Office :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

The only thing that would annoy me when driving is if an empty bottle or some such had fallen down and was rattling around the floor.

OP driving involves constantly checking for hazards and the unexpected, being able to scan the environment around you and react quickly. I think it would be better to try to learn to drive while others are talking and listening to the radio. Believe it or not it would actually make you a safer driver. I couldn't imagine not being able to drive without listening to the radio or with the music up full blast and flooring the accelerator when I get a clear stretch on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The title states that no-one can talk in the car but the OP seems to suggest it's fine to talk, just not to the driver.
    Either way, when you get more experience and relax more I'm sure this will pass.

I drive a lot and always have music or conversation going on.
    The only time I turn down the music is when I need to focus on finding my way in a new town or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

if I have to concentrate I sometimes tell the OH to be quiet, It never goes down well!!

But really, Ive missed junctions and gone the wrong way when someone is bending my ear and Im forced into autopilot mode.

I also turn off the radio to see better when in carparks or when I'm pretty lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Three years driving and you can't talk or listen to music whilst doing it?
    God help you if you ever have kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

As a driver, I am a control freak. I'm a bad passenger and I often wonder how some of my family and friends have never had an accident. However, saying that, I love a good chin wag in the car and I look forward to having company on journeys and as a musician, I need to have the radio on.

If I was your passenger, I would feel so awkward sitting on with you because of the lack of conversation. Being a focused safe driver doesn't mean that you have to be mute for every journey and expect everyone else to be mute. Why offer anyone a lift then? If you are afraid that they're going to distract you, get a motorbike then you won't have the hassle of passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

One thing that drives me mad is that my wife loves the radio on even if she's in the car with me (or others). I just find it rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Play a racing video game with sound on, it might help as you have to concentrate and at least if you crash it is just a video game.

Maybe in the beginning when I started driving I didn't like people talking to me, but as it became a natural thing that one can do without having to put a lot of thought into, then talking was fine and it would be strange to be silent if I had a passenger(s) in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

One thing that drives me mad is that my wife loves the radio on even if she's in the car with me (or others). I just find it rude.

You don't like listening to music with anyone else?

Advertisement