Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestant/Catholic megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Maybe someone can quote me so he sees this.

Is that the same "church "which sanctioned the murder of those who disagreed with it during the reformation?
    Or the one which sanctioned child abuse and mass murderer?
    The fact that it knew about these things and moved people is no different to sanctioning them.
    For the record, I'm not tarring all its members with the same brush!
    Sadly the Protestants were as guilty!
    I'm just glad having left Catholicism 30+ years ago that I never became a Protestant:)

In hinaults eyes not Catholic = Protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

keano_afc wrote: »
    In hinaults eyes not Catholic = Protestant.

I know he thinks that but he's alone in his thinking on this one!

He ignores the fact there there was always a stream outside of denominationalism whose church is that of the Firstborn One.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Agreed. But your affiliation (or deciding to sustain an affiliation done unto you by virtue of infant baptism) is the result of your choice. It is your choice also, to believe their declarations about themselves/itself are true.

Nope.

The Church declares itself to be correct independent of my affiliation to it, or not.

My affiliation to the Church doesn't add to, or subtract from, the declaration of the Church.

The Church exists independent of my belief or otherwise therefore.

Unlike your so-called church, given your earlier claim:D

Oh, and I'm not attacking anyone here.
    You're perfectly entitled to believe in whatever you choose to believe in - even when what you believe is heretical.

hinault wrote: »
    Nope.

The Church declares itself to be correct independent of my affiliation to it, or not.

I'm not disagreeing with that. Read what you quoted of my post again - the subject is you and your choices. I'm not commenting on the churches claims
    My affiliation to the Church doesn't add to, or subtract from, the declaration of the Church.

I agree with that too. The Church declares what it declares and you chose to affiliate / take as true what they/it declares to be the case.

Your choosing ... is the point made in what you quoted of me. I'mean not commenting on the Church declaration outside that context.

Unlike your so-called church, given your earlier claim:

My (rather His) church doesn't require everybody to adhere to or hold an identiki the set of belifs. The theology is the individuals, the church is his.
    You're perfectly entitled to believe in whatever you choose to believe in.

Are you? And do you chose?

• Advertisement

Are you? And do you chose?

There but for the grace of God.

There but for the grace of God.

A vacuous way to conclude what has been a hollow, evasive, intellectually offensive defence of your position.

A vacuous way to conclude what has been a hollow, evasive, intellectually offensive defence of your position.

I disagree on all counts (but then you know this already) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Nope.

Unlike your so-called church, given your earlier claim:D
    Where two or more Christians are gathered together in Jesus Christ's name, He is amongst them ... and they are part of His Church on Earth.
    Oh, and I'm not attacking anyone here.
    You're perfectly entitled to believe in whatever you choose to believe in - even when what you believe is heretical.
    Heretical from the Roman Catholic religion ... and heretical from the Christian Faith are not synonymous.

J C wrote: »
    Where two or more Christians are gathered together in Jesus Christ's name, He is amongst them ... and they are part of His Church on Earth.

Heretical from the Roman Catholic religion ... and heretical from the Christian Faith are not synonymous.

Anything outside of the only Church founded by Jesus Christ runs the risk of being labelled heretical, JC.

There is no other Church, anywhere, founded by Jesus Christ. He founded only one church. It's time to come home.

Why accept something which has not be founded by Jesus Christ? Of course you can decide to accept whatever you wish, but in doing so you choose to reject the full truth.

• Advertisement

Why accept something which has not be founded by Jesus Christ?

Acceptance is involved
    Of course you can decide to accept whatever you wish, but in doing so you choose to reject the full truth.

Decision is involved. As is choice.

At last. An admission of own authority over what one is to believe. I knew we'd get there in the end.

��

Anything outside of the only Church founded by Jesus Christ runs the risk of being labelled heretical, JC.

There is no other Church, anywhere, founded by Jesus Christ. He founded only one church. It's time to come home.

I'm glad I'm part of it...the bit in bold..I mean:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm glad I'm part of it...the bit in bold..I mean:D

Amen!

I just had a thought ....was hinault referring to himself when he referred to their being only One Church and it was time (for him) to come home???
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

For good reason - if you want something to differentiate Christianity from religions generally (which require your performance to obtain a "positive afterlife outcome") then this is hard to beat

The law (not Law, which refers to the OT law) applicable to a Christian is the law of love. Love isn't selfish, love isn't envious, love isn't a whole bunch of distasteful things. And it is that law which is elaborated upon in the NT. We obey it not because we fear what happens if we don't (in the sense of being threatened with Hell for non-adherance). We obey it (or are motivated to obey it) because it's attractive to us*

*It's the same for worship. This is frequently caricatured as a bunch of hand wringers grovelling before God singing his praise day and night like those smiling/grimaced North Koreans flocked at a military parade. The opposite is the case: we worship because we recognize how fantastically WOW God actually is. I mean, take a look at the universe and tell me that if there was a Creator of it then he wouldn't be something to behold in a very positive sense (in the event he was also a benevolent Creator). I mean, your talking stupendously, overwhelmingly BIG in a positive sense. And he's my Dad?

My son worships me. Why is my similarly worshiping of my father automatically so negative Ignorance is the only answer

The best description of the Bible's intent (that I've heard of) is thus: it is Gods revelation concerning his plan for the redemption of mankind. Within that come his ordinances and guidance but by understanding the larger picture, the sense and justice behind the ordinances becomes clearer, more desirable and so, more do-able.

People are individuals and there can be no one size fits all set of rules to which all must adhere. People are at different stages, people have different cultures, intelligence, background, upbringing. And so the guiding principle is love (or as much love as you/his Spirit within are able to produce at a given moment) rather than fixed ordinances.

He did appoint apostles who produced scripture. Scripture which "makes patent what was in the Old Testament latent" as someone put it

The guarantee that the Spirit will guide is given by God - there ain't none more cast iron than that. This doesn't mean (and never meant) that man's own will is overridden or that other forces won't be involved. But the Spirit guides, and we follow or not and what will be will be - regarding God's desired progression for us.

You touch on another great theme:

Old Covenant: God distanced from man by man's sin (remember him walking in the cool of the garden in Eden then Adam being ejected?

Installing a system of fixed Law, a priesthood, sacrifices, places of worship* .. through which to deal with and communicate with man. God separated from man behind a curtain in the temple through which only the priest could pass.

Therein a teaching authority and the need for same

New Covenant: the temple curtain ripped in two (remember, when Christ died) and the barrier between God and man torn asunder.

Now God dwells not in temples made of stone but in temples made of flesh.

It's not discretion alone. It's man working in intimate harmony with God - for God dwells within. That's the potential. That's the mechanism. It doesn't produce perfect understanding but it's not perfection God is after (in this life), its coworking, it's opportunity**.

*interestingly and somewhat revealingly, the layout of a modern day RC church is right along the lines of the Old Covenant. You have the great unwashed separated from the altar by a barrier. You have a priesthood intervening between God and man. You have the body of Christ locked up in a safe at the very head of the church. Where is the New Covenant in that?

** It appears there will be greater and lesser in the Kingdom of God. A saved man is given the opportunity to cooperate with God and there is heavenly reward for his cooperating in Gods mission for him. Salvation isn't the reward but reward there is.

A couple of points to open this up:

1. There is a difference between intellectual assent and believing in your heart.

2. I was saved on a day back in 2001 (the day I was born again). I am saved. I will be saved come the time when my case comes before the Judge. If you are saved you will believe in your heart and be able to truly confess with your lips. I think this verse is aimed at those who are saved - telling them as much. I mean, it is necessary and helpful for a saved person to actually know that that's the case. Like, I didn't know I was saved the day I became saved. I knew something significant had happened but what that was I didn't know. I subsequently came to know I was saved - by the likes of that kind of verse. It unpacked the consequences of my having been saved for me.

3. Further to the above point (aimed at informing the saved regarding their salvation). I don't suppose a person need to have heard of Jesus Christ in order to be saved - Abraham never heard of Jesus and the mode of his salvation is the very one used by Paul to describe how all are saved.

F&W it is so. I don't understand how the latter doesn't force the former into being though.

Ask Hinault - he (like many who suppose the RC church the One True Church) comes to the trough of this simplest of logic and balks from drinking from it. I don't suspect he'll divert from reverting to simply reasserting his belief about the church but part of the fun here is constructing your argument, to try to deconstruct the others.

A bit evasive...there was a structure in place for the interpretation of scripture - and still exists in both Judaism and Christendom today. Christ acknowledged it in His day and didn't do away with it but reiterated people's need to submit to their legitimate authority on what God wished to convey via scripture..
    Saying you are under grace and not law is irrelevant to this issue: you never were under Mosaic law to begin with, were you? That phrase gets thrown around when something from the OT is put to people and they want to dismiss it - as if the Word of God somehow cancels out the Word of God (I'm not talking about shellfish or linen here)

Christ founded the Church, empowered and gave authority to it. The Church produced scripture through its members and the Church decided the Canon of scripture. It follows that the Body who has the authority to decide what is and isn't scripture, also has the authority to give the definitive or primary meaning of what God wanted to convey to mankind through it. A personal interpretation is only an opinion and has no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Why accept something which has not be founded by Jesus Christ? Of course you can decide to accept whatever you wish, but in doing so you choose to reject the full truth.

You know, this church, founded by Jesus, has behaved pretty badly. The latest revelations from Tuam don't refer to the protestant church. It was the church's lack of Christianity which led to all those poor girls being in that place. Is that the action and teaching which Christ would have supported? Poor girls who were pregnant having to give up their precious babies?

Give me the heretical church anytime.

I sincerely hope that you are not claiming that 'the only Church founded by Jesus Christ' is the Roman Catholic Church, complete with it's pagan Pontifex Maximus ...
    The fact of the matter is that, it was founded by the Emperor Constantine by synthesising the pagan Roman religions of the time with a form of Christianity.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifex_Maximus

It's time to come home.
    ... I'm already at home ... with Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit, thank you very much.:)

I sincerely hope that you are not claiming that 'the only Church founded by Jesus Christ' is the Roman Catholic Church

There is no other Church founded by Jesus Christ.

... I'm already at home ... with Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit, thank you very much.:)

I'm delighted that you've joined the Catholic Church, JC.

• Advertisement

I'm delighted that you've joined the Catholic Church, JC.
    I'm in the Christian Church, founded and maintained by Jesus Christ ... not the Roman Universal one, founded by Constantine.:)

I'm in the Christian Church, founded and maintained by Jesus Christ ....

You might be in a Christian Church. It certainly isn't one founded by Jesus Christ.

You're as deluded as the other non-Catholics here, sadly.

You might be in a Christian Church. It certainly isn't one founded by Jesus Christ.

Are we surprised he's not responding to the historical references to Constantine:confused:

Can anyone direct me to the nearest wall so that I can talk to it please:D

There is no other Church founded by Jesus Christ.

Compare:

There is no other Church founded by Jesus Christ / la-la-lala-la

There is no God but Allah / la ilaha illa'llah

A bit evasive...there was a structure in place for the interpretation of scripture - and still exists in both Judaism and Christendom today. Christ acknowledged it in His day and didn't do away with it but reiterated people's need to submit to their legitimate authority on what God wished to convey via scripture..

Where did he say that regarding the New Covenant. Which authority did he identify and how are we to recognize it as the authority?

If you are in doubt about there being a New Covenant (so very different to the Old but with parallels / notes everywhere then perhaps we should establish that fact first.

Saying you are under grace and not law is irrelevant to this issue: you never were under Mosaic law to begin with, were you?

Which sets aside the authority being the one charged with conveying the Old Covenant (the Mosaic Law and the Prophets contained in the OT). We appear to be clear on that.

That phrase gets thrown around when something from the OT is put to people and they want to dismiss it - as if the Word of God somehow cancels out the Word of God (I'm not talking about shellfish or linen here)

The NT law expands on the OT law (and I'm not talking shellfish here either). The OT law told the Jews not to covet another mans wife (adultery). The NT law says to lust after after anyone at all: whether neighbours wife or anyone else .. is adultery.

I don't dismiss either but consider myself beholden to the New.

Christ founded the Church, empowered and gave authority to it.

Indeed. The question then is "what is the church?" The answer I consider the correct one is the body of believers. They as individuals form the building blocks for the structure. There is no other church in my view.

Fine if people want to congregate and out of that form denominations. But I don't see that kind of structure as the one Christ ordained.
    The Church produced scripture through its members

Through the apostles actually. People who had seen the risen Lord with their own eyes.
    the Church decided the Canon of scripture. It follows that the Body who has the authority to decide what is and isn't scripture, also has the authority to give the definitive or primary meaning of what God wanted to convey to mankind through it.

These are two quite separate things. Deciding there is apostolic provenence for writings is quite a different matter to deciding what the writings mean. It would be worth looking up how the canon of scripture was decided upon at btw. It's not as if the RC church is a monolithic structure which traces it origins back to the very start without there being evolution / schism / offshoots all the way through. It wasn't the RC church which decided upon the canon of scripture for example.

As I have pointed out to hinault, the decision to accept the canon of scripture is the decision of an individual. The self-decision extends to every aspect of one's belief whether you decide to interpret something yourself, use the wisdom of others you figure are in a position to understand better than yourself, or farm out the whole kit and kaboodle to e.g. the RC church

A personal interpretation is only an opinion and has no guarantee.

The only guarantee you have is your own judgement - irrespective of the direction you chose to exercise that judgement in.

Which is kind of fair. It means we all stand before God by ourselves, unable to point the finger at another for the beliefs we held and what arose on account of those beliefs..

I don't dismiss either but consider myself............
    I consider the correct one is the body of believers.
    I don't see that kind of structure as the one Christ ordained.
    The self-decision extends to every aspect of one's belief whether you decide to interpret something yourself,
    The only guarantee you have is your own judgement

All of the above is Heretic Martin Luther central.

Astonishing statements when you read them.
    No attempt to temper the self aggrandisement. Boastful.

Dreadful stuff, and deliberately misleading.

Pride is the root of all evil.

It wasn't the RC church which decided upon the canon of scripture for example.

Look at this. Another attempt to deliberately lie. Keep reading your Martin Luther edition "bible" instead.

The canon of the Bible refers to the definitive list of the books which are considered to be divine revelation and included therein.

The Council of Laodicea, c. 360, produced a list of books similar to today's canon. This was one of the Church's earliest decisions concerning a canon.

Pope Damasus, 366-384, in his Decree, listed the books of today's canon.
    The Council of Rome, 382, was the forum which prompted Pope Damasus' Decree.

Bishop Exuperius of Toulouse wrote to Pope Innocent I in 405 requesting a list of canonical books. Pope Innocent listed the present canon.

The Council of Hippo, a local north Africa council of bishops created the list of the Old and New Testament books in 393 which is the same as the Roman Catholic list today.

The Council of Carthage, a local north Africa council of bishops created the same list of canonical books in 397. This is the council which many Protestant and Evangelical Christians take as the authority for the New Testament canon of books. The Old Testament canon from the same council is identical to Roman Catholic canon today. Another Council of Carthage in 419 offered the same list of canonical books.

The final infallible definition of canonical books for Roman Catholic Christians came from the Council of Trent in 1556 in the face of the errors of the Reformers who rejected seven Old Testament books from the canon of scripture to that time.

Pride is the root of all evil.

d.

I thought it was the "love of money" that was the root of all evil!

Acceptance is involved

Decision is involved.

As is choice.

At last. An admission of own authority over what one is to believe. I knew we'd get there in the end.

I refer you to the admission you made above

You chose, accepted and decided what you would believe. There is as much 'I' involved in what you chose to do as there is in what I chose to do.

People in glass houses :)

You can, if you like, argue why you think your choice is the better one. But no longer that you have done other than what I and others have done. Make a choice / be own authority as to what you chose to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just to clarify ... Are you saying that those of us who are not alined to Rome are not true Christians?

Advertisement