Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danny Healy-Rae on climate change: 'God above is in charge of the weather’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'd rather have McGuinness than Healy Rae?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The fact that this guy is allowed to talk in public is proof enough that God doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

God mustn't like the farmers too much so, sending all those floods to them.

According to the report in the Irish Times its not all Gods fault, according to Healy-Raae, who said " The Shannon had not been cleaned out since the English last cleaned it out. Perhaps if that river were cleaned there would not be half the flooding or the need for funding to be set aside to deal with flooding”.
    He said they had to start with dealing with silted rivers, blocked with trees and “every other kind of obstruction. We must start there and not get carried away with the notion of addressing climate change by hoping to change the weather.”

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

5starpool wrote: »
    He was only 100 years out with the timing of the famine, close enough sure, it wasn't that important an event in Irish history.

There actually was a very significant famine in the 1740s, kiled a very high percentage of the then population of Ireland, although not as many as the 19th c. great hunger, as the then population was considerably smaller.Of course it's always possible that DHR is right by being wrong, but he could just be wrong abd right at the same time:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

5starpool wrote: »
    He was only 100 years out with the timing of the famine, close enough sure, it wasn't that important an event in Irish history.

There was a famine in Ireland in 1740-41 which killed about 33% of the population, so he's correct on that point.

Google it. And all the other famines that we had. 1845-9 was the longest and most well known, but it wasn't the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Why is it called a famine ? The potatoes had blight. There was food was there not people just had no money ? Excuse my ignorance on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's a whole big debate, Travellian and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Why is it called a famine ? The potatoes had blight. There was food was there not people just had no money ? Excuse my ignorance on the subject.

the Irish people relied on potatoes to provide them with most of their diet, the blight was therefore a disaster, also the English ruling class in Ireland, exported wheat and other crops out of the country while the Irish people starved, it was genocide basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm just watching the clip now on Vinny B. Healy-Rae looks and sounds like a hobo on a drunken rant!

pgj2015 wrote: »
    the Irish people relied on potatoes to provide them with most of their diet, the blight was therefore a disaster, also the English ruling class in Ireland, exported wheat and other crops out of the country while the Irish people starved, it was genocide basically.

That's what I thought and not a Famine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

smash wrote: »
    I'm just watching the clip now on Vinny B. Healy-Rae looks and sounds like a hobo on a drunken rant!

And then it cuts to Vincent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

PARlance wrote: »
    And then it cuts to Vincent...

Who at least sounds like a sober hobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

smash wrote: »
    Who at least sounds like a sober hobo.

Sometimes he can hold it together. He described Phil Hogans promotion to Europe as "fooking amazing" last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

God gave us the blight, the english gave us the famine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] the English ruling class in Ireland, exported wheat and other crops out of the country while the Irish people starved, it was genocide basically.
    In fairness, plenty of British people helped and it doesn't honor their memory much, or come even close to being more generally accurate, to claim that the "English ruling class" were engaged in "genocide".

Actually in 1847, one of the worst years of the famine, food exports from Ireland were 120 thousand tons, , and imports of food in the same year was 900 thousand tons......ie, almost 8 times more than exports.
    http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/famine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

robindch wrote: »
    In fairness, plenty of British people helped and it doesn't honor their memory much, or come even close to being more generally accurate, to claim that the "English ruling class" were engaged in "genocide".

why wouldn't they help? living in big estates in Ireland that they should never have owned in the first place while the Irish people farmed on small strips of poor land on mountain sides.

why wouldn't they help? living in big estates in Ireland that they should never have owned in the first place while the Irish people farmed on small strips of poor land on mountain sides.

Were the majority English ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Red Kev wrote: »
    There was a famine in Ireland in 1740-41 which killed about 33% of the population, so he's correct on that point.

Google it. And all the other famines that we had. 1845-9 was the longest and most well known, but it wasn't the only one.

He said it killed 3 million people (at least I think that is what he said), which is more than the population of the country in 1740, terrible and all as that devastation was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Healy-Rae's are a far from stupid, they more shrewd than they let on. It suits them to play the role of the clueless rural TDs. It plays well to the crowd back in Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

mzungu wrote: »
    The Healy-Rae's are a far from stupid, they more shrewd than they let on. It suits them to play the role of the clueless rural TDs. It plays well to the crowd back in Kerry.

I think that says more about the people of Kerry then.
    How does it suit them to act like an idiot and make nonsensical statements like that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

eeguy wrote: »
    I think that says more about the people of Kerry then.
    How does it suit them to act like an idiot and make nonsensical statements like that?

I would imagine their supporters in the agriculture industry don't want to see reduced profits due to proposed plans to cut emissions.

Not that it matters, because it doesn't look like our new government will enact any policy anyways. It was nowhere in the election agenda. Alan Kelly and the Greens are the only ones who seem to have it high on the agenda.

As for MHR, he wheels and deals with the best of them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/michael-healy-rae-says-allsop-house-purchase-above-board-1.2571840
    Independent TD Michael Healy-Rae has said he did nothing “ethically or morally” wrong in purchasing a property at an Allsop auction, having previously protested at a sale of distressed properties by the British company.
    The Kerry TD bought the investment property – a three-bedroom house in Castleisland – at an Allsop auction in the RDS in February 2015 for €52,500, having protested at an Allsop auction of distressed properties in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

maryishere wrote: »
    Actually in 1847, one of the worst years of the famine, food exports from Ireland were 120 thousand tons, , and imports of food in the same year was 900 thousand tons......ie, almost 8 times more than exports.
    http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/famine

You're quoting from a website that is renowned for it's inaccuracy.

Rubbish. The fact remains in 1847 the country imported more food than it exported.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

An inaccurate link, can you provide an accurate link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

An inaccurate link, can you provide an accurate link?

A link for what?

The poster I was responding to has a very simplistic anti-Irish view of history and is posting from a website that is shyte. Just because it says so on the internet, doesn't mean it's true.

A link for what?

The poster I was responding to has a very simplistic anti-Irish view of history and is posting from a website that is shyte. Just because it says so on the internet, doesn't mean it's true.

Do you want an accurate link?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Strange - some scientists saying a vulcano eruption produce more climate changes than all fossil fuel on the Earth if burned at the same time.

al22 wrote: »
    Strange - some scientists saying a vulcano eruption produce more climate changes than all fossil fuel on the Earth if burned at the same time.
    Link?

• Advertisement

A link for what?

Google numerous sources and it will educate you simplistic mind. I am not anti Irish by the way, I am very Irish.

In 1847, at the height of the Famine, Ireland exported 39,000 tonnes of wheat, and 98,000 tonnes of oats , and imported 199,000 tonnes of wheat, 12,000 tonnes of oats and 682,000 tonnes of maize. Net imports of 756,000 tonnes
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/famine-food-facts-dont-add-up-228979.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement