Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the death sentence

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

While the Death Penalty would be a convenient method of dispensing with Prisoners, they should be forced to repay their debt to society, by firstly working off the financial cost of their incarceration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Prison sentences for life/death sentences is like sweeping the problem under the rug. We need to understand what led to the crime and there needs to be atonement. I'm not saying free them, but there needs to be opportunity for them to understand their crime and the guilt that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Liamario wrote: »
    .. there needs to be opportunity for them to understand their crime and the guilt that comes with it.

In The Penal Colony, a short story by Kafka

I read it on Frank Zappa's recommendation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Penal_Colony

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Itzy wrote: »
    While the Death Penalty would be a convenient method of dispensing with Prisoners, they should be forced to repay their debt to society, by firstly working off the financial cost of their incarceration.

They would have to get pretty decent jobs - it costs between €70-80k a year to keep a person in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Prison sentences for life/death sentences is like sweeping the problem under the rug. We need to understand what led to the crime and there needs to be atonement. I'm not saying free them, but there needs to be opportunity for them to understand their crime and the guilt that comes with it.

Well he got 9 years for raping his daughter and was then released. Not much atonement there.

This concurrent sentencing business wrecks my head. Multiple crimes should mean multiple sentences to run consecutively. Even if each of these eight 'life sentences' had a nominal figure of 8-10 years on them but to run consecutively, effectively he would serve a life sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

The fact that this piece of sh1t was given 8 life sentences is something that will have to be taken into consideration by the review board which will decide whether to release him or not. I give top marks to the judge for handing down a suitable sentence.

In Ireland, a life sentence doesn't mean that a prisoner is automatically released after 25 years are up. Shaw & Evans (murdered and raped 2 women) have been in prison since 1976. Malcolm McArthur served 30+ years for a single life sentence.
    Evans died in 2012 after being in a coma for 4 years
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/death-of-an-abomination-194707.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Belarus is the only country in Europe which has the death penalty. Do we really want to join that club? Also it's completely illegal in Ireland. For us to even consider bringing it back we would need to leave the EU, renege on commitments to the European Convention on Human Rights, have a Constitutional referendum and then pass laws by majority in the Dail. All political parties in Ireland are opposed to it. So it's never coming back thankfully....doesn't stop these threads popping up every few months though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

It works with most but I genuinely think you've a small % who are just plain psycho. There's a point where things get into the inexplicable. There are people who just have no remorse and don't care. Probably not very many examples of them, but they exist.

I'm totally opposed to the death sentence but I do think with a small % of evtreme cases you need to be able to keep someone locked away very, very safely for the sake of everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

chillin117 wrote: »

I'd forgotten that he died - such a tragic loss.

Well he got 9 years for raping his daughter and was then released. Not much atonement there.

This concurrent sentencing business wrecks my head. Multiple crimes should mean multiple sentences to run consecutively. Even if each of these eight 'life sentences' had a nominal figure of 8-10 years on them but to run consecutively, effectively he would serve a life sentence.

I don't know if he has atoned for what he did, but it's unlikely he has done so in 9 years. The system is broken. Society needs to take on the responsibility of it's community members and those involved in the upbringing of these people should be held to account.

Try to keep in mind that this deranged man was once a small infant. Over the course of many years, he became what he became.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I don't know if he has atoned for what he did, but it's unlikely he has done so in 9 years. The system is broken. Society needs to take on the responsibility of it's community members and those involved in the upbringing of these people should be held to account.

Try to keep in mind that this deranged man was once a small infant. Over the course of many years, he became what he became.

Not in all cases. There are some criminals out there who come from perfectly normal homes and their upbringing has nothing to do with the horrible crimes they commit.

Not in all cases. There are some criminals out there who come from perfectly normal homes and their upbringing has nothing to do with the horrible crimes they commit.

Then they have mental issues which haven't been caught early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I give top marks to the judge for handing down a suitable sentence

I don't see how 8 concurrent sentences are sensible TBH. First off, sentences should be consecutive. Second, where are 8 of them coming from? Two I can understand, but 8 seems like throwing wood on the pyre for the sake of it.

At least someone is actually getting a sentence for a change, but I'd rather these so-called "8" sentences were spread around more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

I don't see how 8 concurrent sentences are sensible TBH. First off, sentences should be consecutive. Second, where are 8 of them coming from? Two I can understand, but 8 seems like throwing wood on the pyre for the sake of it.

At least someone is actually getting a sentence for a change, but I'd rather these so-called "8" sentences were spread around more.
    I was baiting a scammer and he told me he would kill me twice so anythings possible

Advertisement