Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the death sentence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Comparing the Birmingham 6 or Guilford 4 to this animal is completely out of line. He is unquestionably guilty.

You really are missing the point.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Comparing the Birmingham 6 or Guilford 4 to this animal is completely out of line. He is unquestionably guilty.

and so were the Six and Four at the time in the eyes of the court, remember?

If a sanction is brought into play you can't assume it'll only be applied to those you believe deserve it and that the judicial system will get it right every time. There are just too many examples to show otherwise for anyone with a thinking brain (rather than a raging heart) to want to see Capital punishment returned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Suffice to say he will not be going to any Family Dinners in the near future.
    Mam,Dad,This is Derek.......

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

This does appear to be a very cruel, sick and disgusting person however, I do not agree with the death penalty, far better to take their liberty and punish them over the longer run. Also as pointed out above history has numerous examples of "unquestionably" guilty people who were found after the fact to be innocent.

On a side note - the part that I dont understand is the eight life sentences running at the same time, how does that discourage any would be criminal from committing 20 crimes instead of 10? Should they not run consecutively?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Ogogo wrote: »
    On a side note - the part that I dont understand is the eight life sentences running at the same time, how does that discourage any would be criminal from committing 20 crimes instead of 10? Should they not run consecutively?

This is something that's always confused me too. Anyone know what that's all about? I'm pretty sure my mental image of eight cages nestled inside each other, Russian doll style, with the criminal in the innermost one is probably incorrect!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

and so were the Six and Four at the time in the eyes of the court, remember?

If a sanction is brought into play you can't assume it'll only be applied to those you believe deserve it and that the judicial system will get it right every time. There are just too many examples to show otherwise for anyone with a thinking brain (rather than a raging heart) to want to see Capital punishment returned.

This man plead guilty had previous form, there was voice recording of treats made against one victim with the destressed voice of the second victim captured in the background, he was then caught red handed at the scene with a knife in hand...... The raging heart ain't an issue. In such cases the death sentence should be available.

The more High Profile the arrest/trial are the longer they seem to serve. Malcolm Mc Arthur served 30 years. Graham Dwyer will/should do 20 years+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭droidman123

The idiots that let him out on bail in the first place should be given the death sentence as well as the toerag who perpetrated those crimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

chillin117 wrote: »
    The more High Profile the arrest/trial are the longer they seem to serve. Malcolm Mc Arthur served 30 years. Graham Dwyer will/should do 20 years+

Malcolm McArthur made the mistake of involving the unwitting Attorney General - he was always going to pay for that!

and from which we got the term GUBU (ask your dad)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm against the death penalty in all cases, including this one.

No death penalty in EU in any case, and its abolition is not going to change any time soon.

• Advertisement

Malcolm McArthur made the mistake of involving the unwitting Attorney General - he was always going to pay for that!

and from which we got the term GUBU (ask your dad)
    Unfortunatly I am old enough to remember it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Birneybau wrote: »
    Why not a rape sentence?

Death by bum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I don't even understand the cathartic release that people get from typing up fantasy ways of torturing c*nts in threads like this, let alone the actual actions of the c*nts. Does it let you think you're a better person because you're able to express blind rage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

True, I suspect the embarrassment caused to an important person probably played a far greater role in the number of years he served than the suffering of poor Bridie Gargan. That's Ireland for you, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

This does appear to be a very cruel, sick and disgusting person however, I do not agree with the death penalty, far better to take their liberty and punish them over the longer run. Also as pointed out above history has numerous examples of "unquestionably" guilty people who were found after the fact to be innocent.

Samaris wrote: »
    This is something that's always confused me too. Anyone know what that's all about? I'm pretty sure my mental image of eight cages nestled inside each other, Russian doll style, with the criminal in the innermost one is probably incorrect!

The fact that this piece of sh1t was given 8 life sentences is something that will have to be taken into consideration by the review board which will decide whether to release him or not. I give top marks to the judge for handing down a suitable sentence.

In Ireland, a life sentence doesn't mean that a prisoner is automatically released after 25 years are up. Shaw & Evans (murdered and raped 2 women) have been in prison since 1976. Malcolm McArthur served 30+ years for a single life sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

How do you think 8 consecutive life sentences would work, reanimation, keeping the body in custody for 8 lives?

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    After reading the details on RTE today of the following case I've once again come to the conculsion that there are some people for whom the death sentence is a totally justifiable punishment.

So what does the folks of after hours think?What sentence would you like to see handed down in this and similar cases ?

http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0503/785832-rape-life-in-prison/

"A 48-year-old man who raped his girlfriend and her 60-year-old mother has been sentenced to life in prison after a judge said it was the worst case he had ever come across.

Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy said the extremely violent attacks meant it was one of those exceptional cases where a life sentence was appropriate despite a guilty plea.

He imposed eight life sentences to be served at the same time for a number of rape and related offences.

The Waterford man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of his victims, had previously served a nine-year sentence for raping his own daughter from a previous relationship.

At the time of these offences, which took place over three days at three locations in Dublin in July 2015, he was on bail for kidnapping and seriously assaulting the same girlfriend the previous year."

OK so, the first time that they get it wrong will you sacrifice your life to balance it out?

How do you think 8 consecutive life sentences would work, reanimation, keeping the body in custody for 8 lives?

In the US life sentences can be imposed consecutively I think - leads to sentences of several hundred years. Basically a guarantee that the criminal will never be free rather than a literal sentence of several lifetimes.

Here's one example
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader#Legal_proceedings
    He was sentenced to serve 10 consecutive life sentences, one life sentence per murder victim. In total, Rader would be eligible for parole after 175 years of imprisonment, in 2180

Obviously he'll be dead long before 2180 but the sentence ensures that he hasn't a hope in hell of ever being released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I'm sure the poster means that life would mean life, no parole..like in America where you hear of sentences of 100+ years
    Soft sentancing, 50-100 previous convictions, acceptance of 'I didn't mean to kill him when I jumped on his face' defence crap needs to end
    Pathetic 9 years for raping his daughter was not enough and led to this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

How can you give a longer sentence than life, the judge imposed 8 life sentences. In Ireland the judge can not release the person the release of person with a life sentence is a matter for the executive.

So I ask the question again how can longer sentences than life be the answer.

I meant the time spent in jail.

• Advertisement

Custardpi wrote: »
    In the US life sentences can be imposed consecutively I think - leads to sentences of several hundred years. Basically a guarantee that the criminal will never be free rather than a literal sentence of several lifetimes.

Here's one example
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader#Legal_proceedings

Obviously he'll be dead long before 2180 but the sentence ensures that he hasn't a hope in hell of ever being released.

thats the USA the Irish system does not work that way, in any event if it was imposed here it could be in breach of the ECHR as no availability of review has been struck down.

thats the USA the Irish system does not work that way, in any event if it was imposed here it could be in breach of the ECHR as no availability of review has been struck down.

I'm well aware that it's a different country, just showing how consecutive sentences would work in theory if available. Obviously legal reality is different here.

mzungu wrote: »
    I meant the time spent in jail.

That is up to the Minister of Justice. I think any minister releasing this guy would face a lot of difficulty.

Quote: Pro Hoc Vice
    How can you give a longer sentence than life,

Judges can and do give longer sentances than life unfortunately not in ireland though

They are the answer to every victim who suffers at the hands of scumbags with 50/100 previous convictions.
    If this guy had got life for raping his daughter he wouldn't have been out to do what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

This is the silliest idea I've seen here in a while.

Lackey wrote: »
    Quote: Pro Hoc Vice
    How can you give a longer sentence than life,

Judges can and do give longer sentances than life unfortunately not in ireland though

They are the answer to every victim who suffers at the hands of scumbags with 50/100 previous convictions.
    If this guy had got life for raping his daughter he wouldn't have been out to do what he did.

If he had got life previously he could have been released by the Minister for Justice. Giving 8 consecutive life sentences could mean he is released in 20 or 30 years and will be a matter for the then minister for justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

The issue, as I see it anyway, is inadequate risk assessment on bail and early release.

You've got to take public safety into account ahead of anything else.

A small % of extremely violent criminals need to be kept where they can't cause further damage.

I don't think the death sentence is ever appropriate. It's got too much risk of miscarriage of justice, it doesn't have any deterrent effect considering that violent crime and murder rates are far higher in the US than in Europe. You've also got a situation where it may not even be a threat for someone who is unhinged and sees it as an easy exit or even martyrdom. It also debases society and the state, by bringing us down to the level of a killer.

We have to start making much better risk assessments though.

I'd actually prefer to see far more focus on non-custodial sentences for non-violent, non-dangerous crimes and definitely not being used for things like non payment of fines, but much harsher custodial sentences for those who commit violent crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

That is up to the Minister of Justice. I think any minister releasing this guy would face a lot of difficulty.

We have an amazingly retarded parole system with a parole board stuffed with untrained party hacks who frequently ignore the expert advice of Prison Service staff. For the most part the Minister for Justice just rubber stamps their decisions.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/analysis-informal-system-decides-fate-of-those-serving-life-1.2097526

By the by, I don't think there would be any trouble for decision makers if this particular rapist was released, his anonymity means very few people actually know who he is.

If he had got life previously he could have been released by the Minister for Justice. Giving 8 consecutive life sentences could mean he is released in 20 or 30 years and will be a matter for the then minister for justice.

True, can't see any minister wanting to be seen to release a kiddie rapist though.

• Advertisement

Much less "difficulty" than that faced by his victims though, eh? Sadly in 20 years time the news cycle may not pay too much attention to the Waterford man in question (who will probably still be anonymous) & the story of his potential release will be overshadowed by some 2036 celebrity getting a new haircut or whatever. This guy will thus be quietly released with only a handful of people being aware of it. But sure that'll be a matter for the Minister For Justice, so nothing for the little people to worry about.

Advertisement