Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logical thinking about County Boundaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

VinLieger wrote: »
    Sure they only have 1 set of traffic lights in the entire county, thats how pointless they are
    Actually, we got rid of those :o

Too complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Actually, we got rid of those :o

Too complicated.

I hear they're being replaced by a roundabout though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

maudgonner wrote: »

Fancy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

maudgonner wrote: »
    Yes this is it:

this is the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's a worrying amount of people who think that County Belfast is a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

The weird thing is that peoples biggest objections to this would mostly be to do with the GAA

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's a worrying amount of people who think that County Belfast is a thing.
    Where?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Where?
    Belfast obvs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

biko wrote: »
    Extend Louth down to the Liffey
    Louth is already part of Armagh.. yous just haven't realised it ;)

The county as an administrative unit was abolished in NI decades ago. If it had have been maintained, Armagh, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh; along with Belfast and Derry CCs would all be Nationalist controlled, thus giving nationalists control of NI overall on a local basis :p

Instead, they were all divided to up to create District and Borough Councils, 26 in number which were merged last year to create 11 "supercouncils". Supposedly this will save money although some of the new councils are already millions in debt. The phrase "if it's not broke don't fix it" comes to mind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

armaghlad wrote: »
    The county as an administrative unit was abolished in NI decades ago. If it had have been maintained, Armagh, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh; along with Belfast and Derry CCs would all be Nationalist controlled, thus giving nationalists control of NI overall on a local basis :p

Instead, they were all divided to up to create District and Borough Councils, 26 in number which were merged last year to create 11 "supercouncils". Supposedly this will save money although some of the new councils are already millions in debt. The phrase "if it's not broke don't fix it" comes to mind...

I remember reading an article last year about the new councils. The Newry and Mourne district was being merged with the Down district. Naturally enough they needed some consultants and experts to think up a new name.

After spending £30'000, the council covering Newry and Mourne and Down was given the spanking new name of.....Newry and Mourne and Down!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

NiallBoo wrote: »
    The weird thing is that peoples biggest objections to this would mostly be to do with the GAA

Eh not really. See the objections to stuff like this in political constituencies "We need a Leitrim TD!" etc.

Sorry Leitrim people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Leitrim is a beautiful county. I don't know why they're the butt of so many jokes around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Leitrim is a beautiful county. I don't know why they're the butt of so many jokes around here.

Not just here, Leitrim is generally the butt of jokes. I blame Dustin on The Den.

It's just an easy target really, for no good reason. Leitrim is a lovely county, it even says so on the signs :)

Beara should be in Kerry. It's in the Kerry Diocese.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

armaghlad wrote: »

Damn right too, wouldn't want to be associated with the yokels from south Armagh. ;)

In all seriousness I don't think county councils would make sense in NI any more. There is no way local issues in the very rural south Armagh are similar to the local issues in the much more urban north Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

No it shouldn't, we'll never bow to kerry rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

As is much of the Milstreet Pastoral Area, so we should have that too....

http://www.dioceseofkerry.ie/parish-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Mayo renamed NorthGalway and annexed into its superior southern neighbour.
    Half of them live here.
    The other half work here.
    Makes sense.

I remember reading an article last year about the new councils. The Newry and Mourne district was being merged with the Down district. Naturally enough they needed some consultants and experts to think up a new name.

After spending £30'000, the council covering Newry and Mourne and Down was given the spanking new name of.....Newry and Mourne and Down!
    Shame on them! They refuse to acknowledge the Armagh territory that blesses their council area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Give Louth to Ulster and Cavan to Leinster. It would look much nicer and help my OCD.

awec wrote: »
    Damn right too, wouldn't want to be associated with the yokels from south Armagh. ;)

In all seriousness I don't think county councils would make sense in NI any more. There is no way local issues in the very rural south Armagh are similar to the local issues in the much more urban north Armagh.
    I'm inclined to agree although for different reasons... rural south Armagh has Newry City and Dundalk which are two large urban settlements. North Armagh has a small but distinct "conurbation" (Craigavon) but is still largely rural - there is nothing between Portadown and Dungannon and Portadown and Armagh city, and well over half of what is meant to be Craigavon is still green fields! The issue with Armagh is connectivity north to south. It's about 30 miles but takes around 1 hr 30mins to travel and thus there isn't quite the same affinity between North and South of the county... You can be in Co Derry sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Can Waterford have Ferrybank? At the moment it belongs to Kilkenny, miles away from the town, and right on the border of Waterford city itself (which nestles against the border). This means that Kilkenny CoCo actually have quite a bit of influence on building things there that have a negative impact on Waterford and not really much positive impact for themselves.

On the other hand, we'd miss the Ferrybank cliff changing flag thing.

jamesbere wrote: »
    No it shouldn't, we'll never bow to kerry rule.

I'd actually have South and West Kerry and West Cork in together. Similar areas, peninsulas with similar issues like isolation, economies based on the same type of farming and tourism. And in this new area, cannabis would be decriminalised, obviously, to cater for all the hippies. And Gaelic Football would be compulsory.

North and East Kerry are...different. They could be joined up with county Limerick. They could compare their huge farms and urban crime rates while playing hurling...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

According to the Church of Ireland it's in the Diocese of Ross. Nobody can explain that dichotomy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

NE Kildare, NE Wicklow and SE Meath should be merged into Dublin

kidneyfan wrote: »
    The real problem is lakes and rivers. Could we do something about them?

Yes. Finally cut out the talk and drain the Shannon. Make a new county out of the reclaimed land, called Poldershire

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

goose2005 wrote: »
    NE Kildare, NE Wicklow and SE Meath should be merged into Dublin

Haven't they begun to already?
    Bracetown Business Park is Clonee, D15 but also in Meath afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Meath and Westmeath -- should be reintegrated into one county of Meath capital at Mullingar.
    We don't want the pale dwellers back. Westmeath remembers.

• Advertisement

You can't drive from North Leitrim to South Leitrim without driving through another county.

Allergic to Cavan and Roscommon? Take swimming lessons.

Advertisement