Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2016 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

The Muppet wrote: »
    Sure why not? Count me in. I love running to a plan so why not a marathon plan , if I can get through it without breaking myself I'll be on the startline in October.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Not much racing I did a paced mile last summer in 7.22 , I've ran a few 5ks My pb from last weekend 24:14

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No,

How much training do you currently do ?
    I'm on week 11 of the 2016 mentored novices plan, (I like doing things in reverse) , 30 miles last week . 5 days a week. Over 1100 miles in the last year so about 20 per week on average. I've completed the Hal Higdon intermediate Half marathon plan,and done the HM distance five or six times My longest run to date is 14.5 miles but that's a while ago .

cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

No cross training ,

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Get to the startline in one piece and finish in one piece and most importantly still retain my love for running. Time wouldn't be a major consideration for me but I would like to have a good run and finish in a respectable time for my age (I'll be 52) and ability and enjoy it.

How many days a week can you train?

I think I Could train 5 days a week and stay fit as I have done that since xmas , Used to do 6 days but I broke myself, knee issues before xmas but nothing since touch wood,

And what plan do you intend to follow?

I have the memo plan printed on my fridge for a few months now and was contemplating using it , but I think the consensus from more experienced runners on other threads is to use the boards plan for a first marathon so I'll go with that one I think .

Why are you running this marathon?

I have read this thread for the last 3 years and it planted the seed in my head ridiculous and all as I though it was back then. I've never felt I had the base fitness to do it until now. so this is the year for me to give it a lash and see where it takes me.

I log all my runs here

Hi The Muppet (it will take me a while getting used to calling you that :D)

Welcome to the thread. You seem to be on the right track with heading for the boards plan. Your base is pretty decent and you already seem to have a great routine.

I don't really have any other feedback than keep doing what you're doing and definitely don't push it to 6x a week.

Have you considered building gently towards a 10k race just before the start of training (mid-to-end June) - to give you a focus point (and to benefit from that good build up). Dunshaughlin 10k (June 18th) or the Fingal 10k as part of the race series are good races, if they suit geographically!

Good luck and see you around!

tipping wrote: »
    Firstly thanks Nop for taking this on and best of luck with it.

Last year I lurked a lot but resisted the urge (wisely) to join in but at the moment I'm planning on running Dublin at my 1st marathon.
    As a bit of background, 36 years old and running about 2 years, 1st year was the typical injury ravaged overdoing it type of year before putting in a pretty solid year starting from scratch around March 2015.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

5k: 19:15 (2015)
    5M: 32:24 (2016)
    10k: 42:30ish (2015)
    10M: 67:05 (2016)
    1/2: 1:33:30 (2015)

Will be hoping to knock a bit off the 5K to 10k versions of these over the few weeks.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently run 5 days a week about 40 miles total, at the minute this tends to consist of 1 speed, 1 tempo, 1 long, 2 easy.
    This is mostly aimed at the 5k-10k type distances for the next while but the long runs are getting pushed out to 13/14/15 mile territory as part of my preparation. I don't want the long runs to be a major stumbling block when I start and in general I need to work on my endurance anyway. In general the longer runs don't seem to take much out of me (last weeks 15 Miles being a notable exception)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

All of these are very adjustable based on how the training goes but this is what's in my head currently.
    A Goal: 3:15
    B Goal: 3:30
    C Goal: Enjoy the experience and be willing to come back for another one.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    5 days a week with possibly a 6th day here and there.
    No idea on the plan yet but considering P&D 55, or may follow something put down by the coaches in the club here. This would have the benefit of doing the long runs with company and so on.

Just want to see how it goes and tick that box. I reckon I'm starting from a reasonably good place and it may benefit me all round.
    Added benefit of a weekend away from the kids.

Hello tipping -

Those are some fine PBs you have off 2 years running (he says somewhat jealous), well done so far.

Glad to hear you have a club coach, similar to Coffee Fulled Runner above, make sure to discuss your plans and goals with them. Your goal setting is exemplary, by the way, having several in mind. We'll talk a lot about goals for the day later in the year.

You point out long runs - yes, reality is that they'll go quickly into the 13-15M territory and longer. You seem to have a great base for the shorter stuff, so it might pay off to start thinking about the mantra "run longer but slower". In other words, consider doing only one speed/tempo session a week and cover more easy miles.

But no doubt, with your base and support from club etc, you'll have a great shot at a great day, once you carefully work on your endurance. Miles makes champions, as they say! :)

Welcome onboard!

This seems like a great resource, thanks for all your effort everyone. I come from a family of avid runners, I'm the youngest and my place for two decades was on the sidelines, the asthmatic 5 foot nothing midget handing out bananas and energy drinks to my siblings and father. A few years ago my unfit, midget mother decided to ditch the sideline and sign up for races herself, I quickly followed, but with a lot less dedication. I signed up for DCM on race day last year, and am still unsure about whether or not I'll be up for it...I enjoy half marathons and 10 milers (shout out to Ballycotton) but I have to work hard to bridge the gap to the 26.2.

I have ran two half marathons before - Clontarf was my fastest (for want of a better word :D ) in 2.27.03. PB for 5k is in and around 30 mins. I've also run 4 10 milers, and a rake of BHAA races but I don't know PBs, I'm not so into times.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Ehhh

Finish, just finish.

Three, if I commit to more at this stage I'm setting myself up for failure. I work shifts and find it hard to get any consistency going in a plan - I think Hal Higdon's plan is more realistic for me.

Because I am done with being on the sideline.

Hey Extrasupervery - welcome on board.

Good stuff having ditched the sideline :) and well done for having signed up already!

I agree - HHN1 is the plan for you. It has 4 runs a week, and a cross-training day, but you don't have to commit to that just yet. You have a good couple of weeks before things get serious, and I hope you'll use them as best as you can. Run regularly, at an easy, conversational pace, and try to do back-to-back days (if real life allows).

Get used to doing this regularly and when the program starts in earnest, we can see where you stand (and hopefully, that's not the sideline).

Welcome onboard!

Casey78 wrote: »
    Best of luck everyone. You never forget your first Marathon. I did my first in 2014 and the novices thread was a great resource.
    I'm hoping to do DCM again this year for my second Marathon.

Thanks Casey, I actually remember reading your report in 2014! Do hang around the thread, and if you have some words of wisdom for the class of 2016, let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

nop98 wrote: »
    Hi The Muppet (it will take me a while getting used to calling you that :D)

Welcome to the thread. You seem to be on the right track with heading for the boards plan. Your base is pretty decent and you already seem to have a great routine.

I don't really have any other feedback than keep doing what you're doing and definitely don't push it to 6x a week.

Have you considered building gently towards a 10k race just before the start of training (mid-to-end June) - to give you a focus point (and to benefit from that good build up). Dunshaughlin 10k (June 18th) or the Fingal 10k as part of the race series are good races, if they suit geographically!

Good luck and see you around!

Cheers nop . My name is Tom if you'd prefer to use that .

So its ok to stick to the 2015 graduate plan for now?

I was thinking of doing a 10k Fingal would suit me as I'm in Swords . I will sign up for that.

I will have a good read of the plans u ou posted today .

Btw forgot to thank you for taking this on in my op . So thanks .

See you over the coming months I'm sure .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Hello tipping -

Those are some fine PBs you have off 2 years running (he says somewhat jealous), well done so far.

Glad to hear you have a club coach, similar to Coffee Fulled Runner above, make sure to discuss your plans and goals with them. Your goal setting is exemplary, by the way, having several in mind. We'll talk a lot about goals for the day later in the year.

You point out long runs - yes, reality is that they'll go quickly into the 13-15M territory and longer. You seem to have a great base for the shorter stuff, so it might pay off to start thinking about the mantra "run longer but slower". In other words, consider doing only one speed/tempo session a week and cover more easy miles.

But no doubt, with your base and support from club etc, you'll have a great shot at a great day, once you carefully work on your endurance. Miles makes champions, as they say! :)

Welcome onboard!

Cheers Nop. Sound advice and all taken on board. The regime will change over the next few weeks once I sort out that 10k pb in the next week or 2. I'll probably lurk on the sub 3 thread too for some ideas as regards plan.

Thanks again for taking this on and looking forward to the whole experience.

A lot of 10k\5k and 1 half
    5k 22.45 yesterday at a Shamrock Rovers run
    10k 44.50 Last months GIR
    Half 1.53 Wicklow Goal in March

No( will occasionally stop for the view and a gel on a nice day on killiney hill :-) )

Generally 3 days a week anything between 10-20k, with some gym work once or twice a week.

Happy to finish but feel with a good training programme behind me I could push for 4.20 or quicker.

4\5 realistically, will probably look at the boards plan.

To prove to myself I can.

Hi MonkstownHoop, delighted to have you on board.

I agree, on a nice day, the views from Killiney Hill are worth stopping for!

You have some fine times over the 5/10k distances. It looks to me that, like other candidates, it's a matter of slowly building up towards the endurance required for the longer distances. You've done one HM so far (good time for a debut!) - imagine that using the boards program, you'll end up running them every weekend for quite a while! If you need to prep for anything, that's it. The HHN1 program does look a little light for you.

So, in order to get ready for that, look at the programs and structure your pre-plan training around that. Aim to add a mile (or 1.6km :)) a week to your long runs, and add a 4th time running a week soon enough. You have a decent base, so it's time to slowly morph that into a marathon training program.

Good luck!

10k ~55mins, February 27th 2015, Samsung Night run (horribly congested run)
    21k ~2:05, March 12th 2016, Tralee half marathon

I try not to take breaks. I find new pains appear all over when I slow down to a walk.

5k once or twice a week at most. 5-a-side football twice a week.

Under 4 hours would be the dream. I managed to do a half marathon in almost under 2 hours with next to no training so under 4 could be a possibility with some proper training. Realistically, just finishing would be fine. I'm not trying to break any land speed records.

This DCM one seems alright. I could see myself missing a lot of runs here and there due to laziness and life getting in the way. Could do 3/4 days a week. What exactly is cross :pac:

I run mostly for mental health reasons and I need an excuse to get running more regularly. If I ever feel like **** for no good reason, I go for a run and feel great after sweating out whatever nonsense had me down. I often can't find the motivation though. If I have something to train for, its much easier to get out there. I'm simply a happier person when I run more. I'd like to do a full marathon at some stage in my life too, why not now, tick it off the bucket list.

Hi partyjungle, welcome to the thread!

You're certainly ambitious, tackling a HM without much training and posting a decent time! I probably won't have to tell you that extrapolating that to a full marathon is going to be hard - especially a sub 4h one. Let's not think about finishing times just yet. :)

Have a look at the HHN1 program (the one you suggested). It requires a minimum of 4 days running a week. HHN1 is, in my view, about the minimum in terms of training programs - it's designed to get you around, and does just about that. Many Novices last year ran more often and longer distances to prep for the day. You don't want to miss many training days (1 or 2 here and there is fine, obviously), especially if you haven't ran a whole lot up to know.

So, as with the advice to others, start building in more runs in your weekly runs - at a slow, conversational pace, towards 3-4 times a week, 20M in total. See how you get on and if you can find the time for it.

Cross training is a day where you do "anything but run" - e.g. an easy swimming, cycling, pilates, gym, yoga session. There's plenty of material online about it, but the idea is to simply break up the monotony, use your muscles in a different way. It's recommended that you cross-train once a week.

Welcome onboard! Oh - and I do agree (as do probably all here) with the side benefits of running. Even at the height of training, when the last thing I wanted to do was to go running (again), it never failed to deliver.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

Thanks for this Nop! Looking forward to all the advice/encouragement/support from this thread. I lurked on last year's thread and it really inspired me to sign up this year!

Yes, I've done a good few 5k and 10k, and I did the race series last year. My PB for 10k is around 47.30 (last year) and I did the half in 1.45

No

I run 5 days per week. I'm currently doing the Hal Higdon intermediate spring training program, except I don't do the 3m on Mondays. So around 15-20 miles per week

I would really love to do it in under 4 hours, but I'm not sure yet how realistic that is. I suppose I'll know better closer to the time.

I'm happy to keep running 5 days per week, would rather not do more than that. I was actually going to do the HH novice 2 program.

I have been running for years but never attempted this before. I'm doing it for the personal challenge, also to increase my fitness. I was a spectator at the finish of last year's DCM (my sister's first marathon finish) and was really caught up in the atmosphere & emotion of it all. It made me want to be part of it this year!

Been keeping an eye out on this thread starting after following a good portion of last years and being inspired by some of the great posts pre and post the big day.

Been running on and off since the start of 2014.

5k PB 20:50 in the MSB St Patrick's Run this year
    5 mile 36:35 in Raheny in Jan
    10k last time one was the Great Pink Run last August 47:50
    1/2 Marathon 1:44:30 in Clontarf in November

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No walk breaks needed in training

How much training do you currently do ?

3-4 runs per week anything between 10km-20km...Don't have my mind calibrated to miles yet!

Two very light gym sessions and a wander around the golf course a couple of times a week.

Main aim is to try and enjoy the day as much as possible (hopefully that is possible);realistic finishing time 3:50 dream time under 3:40

4 days of running is my aim.

Have a modified Hal Higdon plan done up but will check the 2 mentioned.

Been on the bucket list for a while now and want to do one before the big 40! To prove that I can do it and just to experience the atmosphere of it as I watched a good portion of runners go through Chapelizod last year and the atmosphere was too nothch.

Good luck to all involved and roll on the next few months.

Hey scotindublin - welcome to the thread.

I recall reading the 2014 race reports, it really inspired me. Looks like you have a decent set of races under your belt with a some nice times. We ran an very similar times in the Raheny 5M, it seems.

I don't have much feedback at the moment, other than recommending the boards plan (I am a little biased towards it; it worked very well for me - and others of similar ability, very similar to yours, as far as I can make out).

Since you're already running 3-4 times a week, it might be worth just seeing if you can get slightly ahead of the plan, it will all stand to you over the coming couple of months.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Spotted this on FB today: http://blog.eu.lululemon.com/20150202-tips-for-marathon-training/

I reckon number 9 should be pretty doable with this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

spaceylou wrote: »
    Spotted this on FB today: http://blog.eu.lululemon.com/20150202-tips-for-marathon-training/

There's a lot of good advice in that article :)

How necessary is number 2 (get a check up from a doctor), if you are generally healthy/fit/injury free? I've seen this recommended in several articles & books, but I've been running for years and almost never visit a GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aceygray wrote: »
    How necessary is number 2 (get a check up from a doctor), if you are generally healthy/fit/injury free? I've seen this recommended in several articles & books, but I've been running for years and almost never visit a GP.

Its up to the individual really but if you're undertaking something like marathon training, its no harm to get the once over. I'll state now that I'm slightly biased in this regard as I'm currently out of action from something that could have been picked up in a routine blood test if I'd gotten one before I started. It's not absolutely necessary but what harm can it do to make sure you're in good shape before you start?

Yeah wondered about that myself - for me, I think a physio check up might be more beneficial. But in saying that, while I am rarely at the GP due to illness I do at the least have my blood pressure checked every 6 months when getting a repeat prescription. That of course doesn't check for anything like what is going on in your blood or ECG for heart.

This was raised on another thread after the guy died during the London Marathon and I think the general consensus was, check-ups for everyone probably wouldn't solve the problem that even among the fit folk there may be underlying issues that won't be detected by an ECG or similar in a standard check-up.

However, regardless of exercise levels it probably is a good idea, if at all possible, to get a check-up every couple of years anyway. Catch any issues early before symptoms develop etc. So if its been a while, no harm in going for a check-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

I had my first ever gp checkup a few weeks ago. This was more to do with the responsibility of a family than Marathon training etc. I'm pretty fit and healthy in general and had no concerns going in. Everything came back fine bar borderline normal thyroid which he said we'll look at again in a few months time.

Spoke to a GP friend of mine who said it's worth getting checked out every year for cholesterol and blood pressure alone. If there's something wrong there you want to know sooner rather than later.

I'm about to sign up for the marathon entire race series and there's a box asking for a discount code... anyone got one? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks nop98 I will certainly look at the boards plan.

Good luck with your mentoring duties this year.

Hey scotindublin - welcome to the thread.

I recall reading the 2014 race reports, it really inspired me. Looks like you have a decent set of races under your belt with a some nice times. We ran an very similar times in the Raheny 5M, it seems.

I don't have much feedback at the moment, other than recommending the boards plan (I am a little biased towards it; it worked very well for me - and others of similar ability, very similar to yours, as far as I can make out).

Since you're already running 3-4 times a week, it might be worth just seeing if you can get slightly ahead of the plan, it will all stand to you over the coming couple of months.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

HI nop98,

I have been reading boards for over a year but never posted. I read a bit of last year’s thread and I was looking forward to this thread starting.

Yes,
    5k - May 2016 - PB 19:40
    10k - March 2016 - PB 42:45, I was disappointed as I ran this badly.
    10 mile – March 2016 - PB 1:09:00
    1/2 Marathon - March 2016 - PB 1:33:50

Running for about 4 years, joined a club last year as I wasn’t improving and I needed a bit of structure to my training

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3 days a week.
    Speed Session – Club sessions but these are geared towards Marathon training
    Tempo Session - Club sessions but these are geared towards Marathon training
    Long run – varies from 10-15 miles depending on time available

The club I am with are really geared towards marathon training so this will help with the sessions above
    I don’t cross train or do any core training etc.

Goal 1 – Run marathon, no walking!! Sub 3:45
    Goal 2 – Sub 3:30, I think this is possible if training goes well
    Goal 3 – sub 3:20, aiming for the stars here!

I currently train 3 days a week, I can add a couple of sessions.
    I will be working with experienced members of my club to develop a plan that suits me. I plan to start getting serious from the start of July and keeping my current training going until then with long runs of approx 15 miles.
    I will also be adding some core exercises to help with the increase in miles

I have wanted to run a marathon for about 18 months but I knew I needed a good base so I have been running on average 25 miles per week, it can reach 40 when time suits.

I was tempted last year while I was training for the Athlone half in September but I knew I hadn’t enough done to kick on and complete a marathon. I started this year concentrating on getting ½ marathon time below 1:35 and getting relatively comfortable running 15 miles. I achieved ½ marathon time in March so I want to kick on and keep the long runs going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Hi nop98, thanks for starting the thread.
    I'm a slow runner, looking to give this a go.

Yes, I've done plenty of 5k's and 10k's
    5k - April 2016 - PB 25.41
    10k - March 2015 - PB 52:51

No, not usually. Lately, sore legs have forced me to

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I am following the MyAsics plan it has set out for me. It's in the preconditioning phase for a marathon so is giving me slow short runs.
    Currently 4 runs a week with distances from 5 to 12 km

I have no idea why but I have a goal of 4.30. I'd be happy just to complete though and hope my legs will let me!

4 days is good with me.
    As mentioned, currently following the MyAsics plan. Will look at the HH plan given here and decide which will be better

At the start of the year, my gf said she is going to try run 1000km in 2016. She egged me on to do the same. I didn't think I'd be able as I had suffered from shin splints in the past. Started in January, slow and easy on a treadmill in the gym. Was doing 3 runs a week, legs were fine. I was really enjoying it and I am still on course to complete the 1000k. As the weather has been improving, I have moved to running outside and noticed my legs getting sorer and sorer. I went and got arch supports and new runner with proper support. Went for an 8km yesterday and was in agony on finishing so the shin splints are back, I'm really gutted. Going to rest and ice for the week and hopefully they'll go away.
    A month ago a couple of the lads committed to doing the marathon, I reluctantly said I would too as I was worried about the legs. I said I won't sign up until the summer and I can see the mileage improving with no pain...

I would love to complete it for me!

• Advertisement

spaceylou wrote: »

I should have just linked to that article instead of drafting the opening post.

Number 11 is my favorite! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Utah wrote: »
    Hi nop98, thanks for starting the thread.
    I'm a slow runner, looking to give this a go.

Yes, I've done plenty of 5k's and 10k's
    5k - April 2016 - PB 25.41
    10k - March 2015 - PB 52:51

No, not usually. Lately, sore legs have forced me to

I am following the MyAsics plan it has set out for me. It's in the preconditioning phase for a marathon so is giving me slow short runs.
    Currently 4 runs a week with distances from 5 to 12 km

I have no idea why but I have a goal of 4.30. I'd be happy just to complete though and hope my legs will let me!

4 days is good with me.
    As mentioned, currently following the MyAsics plan. Will look at the HH plan given here and decide which will be better

At the start of the year, my gf said she is going to try run 1000km in 2016. She egged me on to do the same. I didn't think I'd be able as I had suffered from shin splints in the past. Started in January, slow and easy on a treadmill in the gym. Was doing 3 runs a week, legs were fine. I was really enjoying it and I am still on course to complete the 1000k. As the weather has been improving, I have moved to running outside and noticed my legs getting sorer and sorer. I went and got arch supports and new runner with proper support. Went for an 8km yesterday and was in agony on finishing so the shin splints are back, I'm really gutted. Going to rest and ice for the week and hopefully they'll go away.
    A month ago a couple of the lads committed to doing the marathon, I reluctantly said I would too as I was worried about the legs. I said I won't sign up until the summer and I can see the mileage improving with no pain...

I would love to complete it for me!

Hey Utah,

Did you get to read tang1 post about gaitanalysis and proper runners? Not a suffer of shin splints or the cause. If you've had this previously and can deal with it successfully then do.

However, everyone be prepared to spend money on yourself with physio or sports therapist over the future months.

Self diagnosis not encouraged or Google diagnosis of symptoms. A visit to a professional may lighten your pocket but correct diagnosis can save you months of issues in pain or even worse not running.

aquinn wrote: »
    Hey Utah,

Did you get to read tang1 post about gaitanalysis and proper runners? Not a suffer of shin splints or the cause. If you've had this previously and can deal with it successfully then do.

However, everyone be prepared to spend money on yourself with physio or sports therapist over the future months.

Self diagnosis not encouraged or Google diagnosis of symptoms. A visit to a professional may lighten your pocket but correct diagnosis can save you months of issues in pain or even worse not running.

Hey! Yeah I saw it. It made me sad because I actually went to elverys and got the orthotics made and got a pair of asics that were recommended for arch support
    http://runrepeat.com/asics-gt-3000

In hindsight, I probably should have asked here first!

I watched a video on Runners World which described the pain I have down to a tee but I understand what you mean about self diagnosing.

Can anyone recommend a good sports therapist/physio that deals with this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey! Yeah I saw it. It made me sad because I actually went to elverys and got the orthotics made and got a pair of asics that were recommended for arch support

I watched a video on Runners World which described the pain I have down to a tee but I understand what you mean about self diagnosing.

Can anyone recommend a good sports therapist/physio that deals with this sort of thing?

Live and learn and hindsight is a great thing.

Sure you never know, asics may suit you.

You'll get many super recommendations here but depends where you are based or can travel to.

Where are you based? I imagine that between the lot of us there are several recommendations available.

South Dublin - Sandyford. Can go wherever though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

South Dublin - Sandyford. Can go wherever though!

Have you tried Total Physio opposite Sandyford Luas? I had a few sessions there to help me with quad pain and found them really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Mods, can this thread be given a sticky? For those of us with no interest in this long term thread, it would be better to have it permanently at the top of the main forum, rather than bouncing up and down the main forum at an alarming rate for the next 6 months. Kind of annoying let's be honest. :)

I don't like this. I don't think the thread is as visible to people passing through as a sticky as just from my experience, I rarely look at stickies on a forum and just glide automatically towards the threads farther down the line. This thread is all about getting as many people involved as possible and I think it's better placed among the other threads. I don't see how this thread being bumped is annoying either, it's by far one of the most useful threads on the forum every year and only takes up one space on the forum. Just because it doesn't interest some people shouldn't mean it has to be moved. There's a few far less valuable threads to the community that are constantly bumped on the main page. Just my 2c.

All the best to the novices this year! Great thread and you are in great hands. The biggest piece of advice I can give right now is to be open to the thoughts of people helping. Some of it will sound counter-intuitive but be assured, they are here to help you get the best out of yourself come the big day. Best of luck to nop and all the team as well! No stress;)

kin9pin wrote: »
    Have you tried Total Physio opposite Sandyford Luas? I had a few sessions there to help me with quad pain and found them really good.

I actually have them on the list I was going to contact. Glad to hear they're decent

• Advertisement

Ok, so I'm looking through the boards training programme, and have a noob question. The purple runs are labelled as PMP/strides. Strides are like short fast intervals, right? But what does PMP mean?

Advertisement