Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever made someone cry?

Options
  • 01-05-2016 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

When I was about 10, I made a comment to friends about a girl with a good chunk of weight on her, calling her "extremely large". Word got back to the the girl somehow and she was crying down the road. Her cousin confronted me about it like " why would you say that?". I later felt guilty and cried myself when I told my parents about it. It was horrible knowing my words had that effect on someone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cruel story bro

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stick and stones may break my bones
    But words will leave deep psychological scars that will never heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

When I was about 10/11 my mum and my two older sisters 4/5 years older than me sat down to eat dinner and I said something along the lines of

"What rubbish has mum made us tonight"

She got up , started crying and went upstairs and left her dinner, my two older sisters just looked at me with disgust and called me a little bastard .

I've always remembered it and its scared me for life as I now have 3 kids same as she did and its tough going with 2 of us sharing responsibility of them never mind a single working mum bringing up 3 kids on her own .

Little bastard was right!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah, not out of malice, but out of disappointment that our relationship had failed. I dont know which is worst to tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't call me punisher for nothing.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Not as far as I'm aware. I am very good at keeping my gob shut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Just the other day....
    In currently doing a course in Fas. It's a melter of a course but after been made redundant in October I need something on paper for my cv. I worked in my last job for 20 years just right after school. Anyways one of the girls keeps applying for jobs and can't even get an interview. She has a degree and it stresses me out that she can't get an interview how the heck am I going to get a job. Anyways she's always telling me it's because a lot of jobs say 2 years experience.
    The other day we were in the canteen and she was saying how unfair it was that given the chance she could get a job. I said but that's reality of it it's two years experience nobody will give someone a chance it was more out of my frustration than anything else. She went very quiet and I knew I had upset her. After the break I apologised and she started crying. I felt terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not out of malice. But I once let somebody know how unhappy I was in a relationship with them due to a number of things they were doing/saying and unknowingly hurting me by doing so,and it made them cry when I told them because apparently they really cared about me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Yeah, a girl I worked with,everyday..
    Not intentionally..
    If I looked at her I had looked at her the wrong way and she cried.
    If I didnt look at her I was ignoring her and she cried..
    Funny at first but after a while it became difficult to deal with.

yea I did awhile back - but in a kind of a nice way. A girl left work and she cried on the last day while talking to me. Just because rather than saying personal goodbyes I told her everyone would miss her. And she started balling. Later at drinks she complained she never cries and she did not know why she did that.

So recently during "reunion" drinks where loads of people who have left came back to meet the rest of us I planned a mini flash mob. I told her I could make her cry again - in less than 3 minutes - and she swore blind I wouldn't. So I asked her to steel herself and get ready and when she said she was ready I waved over a concealed guitar and just said "this is how much we miss you" and started playing a song I had learned off.

This freaked her out straight away because I am musically the least gifted person on the planet I think - and she knew this too - so a lot of effort went into learning to play even that one song. But she stayed strong right up the point where another work mate took her pre-arranged queue and then joined in - then another - until my whole team at work ended up finishing the song.

And yes - she was balling before the 3 minutes were up.

So making people cry does not always have to be bad OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

When my nephew was a baby every time he saw the video of Whitney Houston singing "I will always love you" his little chin would start wobbling and then he'd start whimpering and finally start wailing crying. I always used to put it on just to see if he'd cry cos it was so funny. Poor baby must've thought we were all nuts busting our asses laughing while he was crying.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

Yes a few women over the years......Sorry girls:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

This week actually.
    My neighbour; Mother Teresa as I call her, as she tortures me daily with the angelus at 6.00am, noon, 6.00pm daily at full blast on her radio.
    I always say hello to her when I see her, and she blanks me.
    She likes growing plants on her patio, and was in tears this week when she saw her new lavender plant had been stolen.
    My bedroom smells lovely now.
    Fk her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, girlfriends of various hues. I didn't discriminate in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

My son.

Seeing me cry in pain. He's only 8 and has autism and has rubbed my back and cried saying it's ok mum don't be sad :(

Anyone that says kids with autism don't understand or feel emotions has it all wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Quite a lot... My OH reminds me regularly that a 6 foot 3 man complaining about bad service in a shop or restaurant can be scary, even when I think I am being polite... I made a girl at the cafe in a play area for the kids cry recently... I really don't think I am that terrifying, but I am really starting to believe the OH when this keeps happening... I feel bad after typing this :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

yea I did awhile back - but in a kind of a nice way. A girl left work and she cried on the last day while talking to me. Just because rather than saying personal goodbyes I told her everyone would miss her. And she started balling. Later at drinks she complained she never cries and she did not know why she did that.

So recently during "reunion" drinks where loads of people who have left came back to meet the rest of us I planned a mini flash mob. I told her I could make her cry again - in less than 3 minutes - and she swore blind I wouldn't. So I asked her to steel herself and get ready and when she said she was ready I waved over a concealed guitar and just said "this is how much we miss you" and started playing a song I had learned off.

This freaked her out straight away because I am musically the least gifted person on the planet I think - and she knew this too - so a lot of effort went into learning to play even that one song. But she stayed strong right up the point where another work mate took her pre-arranged queue and then joined in - then another - until my whole team at work ended up finishing the song.

And yes - she was balling before the 3 minutes were up.

So making people cry does not always have to be bad OP.

Jeez, I cringed reading that, sorry buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

When my nephew was a baby every time he saw the video of Whitney Houston singing "I will always love you" his little chin would start wobbling and then he'd start whimpering and finally start wailing crying. I always used to put it on just to see if he'd cry cos it was so funny. Poor baby must've thought we were all nuts busting our asses laughing while he was crying.:)

This could qualify as child abuse ... I mean subjecting him to Whitney Houston !!!

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A colleague once.

He had dropped a screwdriver on the ground and did not realise it.

I thought I should help him and said "You useless oxygen thief, no wonder you are hated by everyone, you can't do anything right. You have dropped that screwdriver again"

He started to cry. All over a screwdriver. Some people you just cannot help. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yep.

At a very low point. Where work stress and drinking was reaching a crisis and was at my most...self indulgent. And I turned it, spectacularly, on those nearest to me, f****d them from a height. Still wince at the tongue lashing I gave, it upset my wife and my closest friends, and there were tears. Within 24 hours I decided that I had to change and stopped the binge drinking, thankfully they all forgave and I changed my whole life. I regret it so much, but they know I learned from it and that's the important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

My daughter is particularly sensitive, and I can make her cry completely by accident if I raise my voice at anything, even watching a sports game. I'm hoping school will toughen her up a bit to be honest.

Mainly because I had to let some one go once and he cried. And it was horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Tandey wrote: »
    Yes a few women over the years......Sorry girls:o
    Yes this just the other way around.. but feel guilty about few of those.. was not really deserved... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I've never made someone cry in a situation in which I wasn't also crying buckets. I don't like hurting people or seeing them hurt. But I'm not going to lie and say something is OK if it's just not OK, no matter how much the other person wishes I would just smile and pick up the knife and fork when they take a dump on my plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

My cousin, last year.

I've been single for a long time, while she had just left her long-term partner for a much younger man, and moved in with him shortly after..

She said to me: "I don't think being in a relationship would suit you, Tequila, you're too independent."

I replied: "Well, I'd probably take it a bit slower - I couldn't see myself moving in with a guy after three months."

She started crying. Honestly I think what she said was way worse. I wasn't judging her with my comment, just saying it's not how I'd do it. She basically said I'd never find a fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My cousin, last year.

I've been single for a long time, while she had just left her long-term partner for a much younger man, and moved in with him shortly after..

She said to me: "I don't think being in a relationship would suit you, Tequila, you're too independent."

I replied: "Well, I'd probably take it a bit slower - I couldn't see myself moving in with a guy after three months."

She started crying. Honestly I think what she said was way worse. I wasn't judging her with my comment, just saying it's not how I'd do it. She basically said I'd never find a fella!

I laughed reading that, the sheer awkwardness of it! Brilliant story though :D

I've never made anyone cry actually, I was trying to think I must have at some point, but nothing!

My cousin, last year.

I hate that, when someone does or says something wrong and then acts like they're the wronged party.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, a few times and I still feel **** about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

not cry. but I made the wifes eyes water last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I remember I once un-broke-up with a girl because she started crying during the "it's not you, it's me" speech. . .very healthy relationship

Advertisement