Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Wallace crying in the Dail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

Wibbs wrote: »
    I suppose the bleeding hearts must be kept a thumping. The drowned child on a beach is so, like oveeer on Facebook and it doesn't lend itself well for draping over avatars.

I see where Makikomi and I share his inner turmoil between tightening up the borders and trying to help human misery that has been landed upon us by that moron Merkel and the EU muppets. Though as Spanish Eyes pointed out the camps were cleared and alternative accommodation was provided, but oh no, that wasn't good enough for them. They demanded more. I mean WT actual F? Have they no bloody shame? Of course too many know that there are enough bleeding hearts to listen to them and no doubt many will get their way. Refugees my arse.

Calais has been a problem for years now, long before Frau Merkel opened her gob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I've a friend in Calais, a member of the Gendarmerie who served in Mali & would be sympathetic to the plight of the refugees, but I can hear from his tone that attitudes are changing.

Over the last few months the tensions in the local community have reached breaking point due to the actions/reactions of the refugees to the local populace.

Shop-lifting, burglaries, aggressive behaviour, stabbings, muggings etc., are all on the rise.

I have no doubt they are living in dire conditions in The Jungle but they are doing themselves no favours by alienating the locals.

They are fast becoming akin to the travelling community in this country in the way they are viewed & treated unfortunately & it will only get worse, I think, in the long run.

So its not a holiday destination then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

So its not a holiday destination then?
    No worse than Mosney in it's day in all fairness :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Whilst there is no doubt that truckers are running a gauntlet that's not really the issue here.

I've little time for Wallace, mostly I can't stand him. But a very good friend of mine traveled with Calais with him (I won't name him completely but Clare Daly referred to him as 'Gary, solicitor from Dublin) and honestly the video and photos from 'The Jungle' would bring a tear to a glass eye.

I've no idea what the solution is. I'm pretty much against opening the gates to an influx of refugees and I argue with my friend (Gary) re. re-enforcing Europe's borders (I'm pro stronger border measures).

But we can't ignore the plight of those living in The Jungle. We wouldn't have dogs, pigs or rats live in similar.

But surely they can apply for leave to remain in France? It's not like France is some kind of totalitarian regime - in fact, in many ways, they are a much more liberal republic than here?

Further, I'd take huge issue with Wallace's suggestion that young migrants relocating here wouldn't take up resources - of course they would, especially in relation to education and health.

I'm all for us taking more than our fair share of refugees and providing safe haven for them, but rewarding the ones who want to short cut the system seems wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Jawgap wrote: »
    But surely they can apply for leave to remain in France? It's not like France is some kind of totalitarian regime - in fact, in many ways, they are much more liberal republic than here.

They don't want to stay in France they want the uk or here with access to more generous benefits and housing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Gatling wrote: »
    They don't want to stay in France they want the uk or here with access to more generous benefits and housing

Yes, I'm aware - the question was kinds of intended to be rhetorical.

Essentially, they want to come here and the UK because we're perceived as an easy touch - whether we are or not, others can decide.

Ironic though, that many in Ireland would love to move to France for the weather and the lifestyle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

Gatling wrote: »

They want to go somewhere with which they are vaguely familiar for the most part. In Afghanistan and Pakistan Britain is seen as a desirable location where many from a similar background have done well for themselves. There are of course those who want to cross to work illegally, which is far easier in Britain because you aren't obliged to carry ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Whilst there is no doubt that truckers are running a gauntlet that's not really the issue here.

I've little time for Wallace, mostly I can't stand him. But a very good friend of mine traveled with Calais with him (I won't name him completely but Clare Daly referred to him as 'Gary, solicitor from Dublin) and honestly the video and photos from 'The Jungle' would bring a tear to a glass eye.

I've no idea what the solution is. I'm pretty much against opening the gates to an influx of refugees and I argue with my friend (Gary) re. re-enforcing Europe's borders (I'm pro stronger border measures).

But we can't ignore the plight of those living in The Jungle. We wouldn't have dogs, pigs or rats live in similar.

Well said,but is it fair to completely ignore the efforts of this country to not only maintain but significantly INCREASE its overseas aid budget to €640,000,000 this year ?

This €640,000,000 is ring fenced in a manner which other area's of this countrys budget is not,and is,in my opinion something which Ireland can be proud of.

Therefore,I respectfully decline to accept that this State has any reasonable requirement to suddenly jump to Mr Wallace/Ms Daly's somewhat sudden adoption of the Calais Jungle's resident's single-minded determination to get to the United Kingdom.

Even a brief review of the history of the supposed "Jungle" in Calais will reveal it has been there since the late 1990's and has had several periods of rioting,mass disorder and ongoing criminality.

Mssrs Wallace/Daly and perhaps even your legally-minded accquaintance also appear to disregard the reasons why the French Government's provision of basic human comforts has been largely disregarded by the unfortunates which our Parlimentarians hold in such regard.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-calais-idUSKCN0UP23R20160111
    Tents and shanties in the northeast of the camp have been cleared away to make space for the shelter, designed to accommodate up to 1,500 people in 125 white-painted shipping containers. The metal boxes are equipped with bunk beds, heaters and windows, but lack water or sanitary facilities.

Toilets and showers for those housed there will be accessible at an existing facility now reserved for women and children.

French authorities say the containers are a good solution because the dunes are unsuitable for traditional foundations, but even this level of permanence may be a political soccer.

The French response,as dutifully ignored by the Wallace/Daly PR machine,fails to even acknowledge a humanatairan effort by the French Authorities,perhaps because it requires a level of registration,accountability and control over these migrants,which they rather pointedly refuse to countenance.
    Migrants will have to register to live inside the shelter perimeter fence, with access controlled by handprint technology. Some of them told Reuters they were suspicious of this set-up.

Inayat, 25, who traveled from Afghanistan, and David, 17, from Eritrea, said they would not check in because they still wanted to reach Britain as soon as possible.

Our intrepid pair would,in my opinion,be far better occupied by offering their time,experience and additional funding to the French Local Populace and Administration in Calais,rather than attempting to play this crafted scenario for all its worth.

Those of us with more recent memories may recall our own little Dublin "Jungle" at the Naul M50 Off Ramp,where without Deputy Wallace's assistance,a substatantial number of landowning,East European businesspeople managed to live for quite a length of time in total defiance of any and all regulation,until they were found out....

I'm of the opinion that Ireland's €640,000,000,buys us some respite from these Deputies constant,and over publicised,attacks on our State and it's Governance.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

AlekSmart wrote: »

I'm of the opinion that Ireland's €640,000,000,buys us some respite from these Deputies constant,and over publicised,attacks on our State and it's Governance.
    What you were thanked for Alek. The rest.....TL;DR

• Registered Users Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If he gave as much attention to his tax affairs instead of trying to get into American planes at Shannon and going off to Calais he would be better of.

Calais is France's issue, let them handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

He'll be even more upset when Whitesnake split up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sounds like both Wallace and your friend have a heart so, I'm assuming of course that your friend is heartbroken at the refugees plight?.

Once somebody gets to France they are no longer refugees as they are safe. When they try to get to Britain they become economic migrants. Important to differentiate and keep your sympathy for refugees in need not migrants who 'want'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If he gave as much attention to his tax affairs instead of trying to get into American planes at Shannon and going off to Calais he would be better of.

Calais is France's issue, let them handle it.

TBF France could just as easily pull the plug on that camp there and security measures and let them through and let it be England's problem :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

wakka12 wrote: »
    Once somebody gets to France they are no longer refugees as they are safe. When they try to get to Britain they become economic migrants. Important to differentiate and keep your sympathy for refugees in need not migrants who 'want'

Is France not technically in a state of martial law at the min??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Migrants, What war are they fleeing in France ?

This one?

o-NUIT-DEBOUT-PARIS-570.jpg
    5751501_nantes-manifs.jpg
    9d0bb6ddba81212e8502f5d5e2177.jpg
    Jawgap wrote: »
    It's not like France is some kind of totalitarian regime - in fact, in many ways, they are a much more liberal republic than here?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You want to try living here ...

The "Calais" situation will disappear pretty quickly if Britains votes to leave the EU. The French see it as an English problem, the management of which they are bound to share as part of maintaining good relations between fellow EU states. If Britain votes to leave, there will be no justification in the eyes of the French for paying the ever-increasing cost of keeping these migrants from their Promised Land. We've got a very lame duck hobbling his way towards an election next year who desperately needs to take "decisive action" about something, anything that will please all colours of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Is France not technically in a state of martial law at the min??

Technically (and actually) we're in a "State of Emergency" - not quite the same thing.

But only a few guns short of outright civil war (see photos above from last night/this afternoon). The country is a social and economic mess - I don't know why any immigrant would choose to live here ...

Hang on a sec ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Walked across the Bridge today to Grand Parade in Cork to see poor old man in 70s lying with blanket looking totally helpless.

It's been 9 years since I felt so helpless for people.

Forget what's happening to Economic migrants and cry for our own first

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is France really that terrible a country to start a new life in?

Exactly. I have no issue with refugees in general. But this matter of trying to get into the UK is ridiculous. They should be happy with Macedonia compare to what they've come from.

Getting out of Syria = Need
    Cherry picking what nice country you want to go and acting like an animal while trying to get there = Greed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Walked across the Bridge today to Grand Parade in Cork to see poor old man in 70s lying with blanket looking totally helpless.

Post of the week for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he cries for the refugee crisis in Calais ,,,and yet he wants to see the Omagh bomber released

the mind boggles :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Crocodile tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Wallace doesn't seem to be worried about local issues in south Wexford, such as high rural unemployment, lack of third level education, bad transport links & closure of local rail lines & attracting industry, jobs & investment to the south east. :mad:

Why Wexford vote in this crusty pacifist tramp dressed in pink who does nothing for local people is beyond me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Then they are not Refugees are they. Sorry if facts annoy you.

By whose definition?

I'm aware that refugees are meant to seek asylum in the first country I land in. I haven't seen any recognised body claim that if they move to a different country they are not refugees any more.

Do you have a link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Methinks the man may have been in the Dail Bar for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

By whose definition?

I'm aware that refugees are meant to seek asylum in the first country I land in. I haven't seen any recognised body claim that if they move to a different country they are not refugees any more.

Do you have a link for that?
    Someone who is genuinely fleeing a conflict/persecution does not shop for the nation with the best benefits/advantageous black economy to flee to refusing all offers of aid from a multitude of different nations. They are carpetbaggers.

Someone who is genuinely fleeing a conflict/persecution does not shop for the nation with the best benefits/advantageous black economy to flee to refusing all offers of aid from a multitude of different nations. They are carpetbaggers.

I'm still waiting on that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

bleg wrote: »
    Crocodile tears.
    or the old bertie trick, a raw onion in the pocket, the wipe the face, definatly turn the eyes to water

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

fryup wrote: »
    he cries for the refugee crisis in Calais ,,,and yet he wants to see the Omagh bomber released

the mind boggles :confused:

Are you talking about Seamus Daly, a man never actually convicted of a crime and yet imprisoned for almost two years? Or somebody else?

Daly's two-year imprisonment in the absence of a conviction was a disgrace. We have due process laws for a reason, and the minute we allow a single exception to those laws, our entire system of justice is threatened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

Mick Wallace is a jihadist anyway, Im sure he gets upset when he sees his brothers in arms in distress.

• Advertisement

There's no need to divide your empathy by national or religious lines. Europe is the richest continent in the world. We can afford to do both - look after our own and help others.

Advertisement