Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death will come for us all

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I cant wait for the break to be honest.....i havent had a decent sleep in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'm 41 and when I go to the graveyard to visit my dads grave I also see the graves of 8 people that were in my class at school.

Did you go to school in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't consider death an inevitability. If it happens, I won't know, so I'm going to keep pretending it will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

And how can man die better than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his gods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

And how can man die better than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his gods?

Its not death we all fear, if we do, but dying:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Per Iter Tenebricosum

Enough! Why should a man bemoan
    A Fate that leads the natural way?
    Or think himself a worthier one
    Than those who braved it in their day?
    If only gladiators died,
    Or heroes, Death would be his pride;
    But have not little maidens gone,
    And Lesbia's sparrow all alone?

Elessar wrote: »
    What do other boardsies think of this 'I'm actually going to die one day' thing?

It is a bit of a mind-feck alright. The majority of us appear to be consciously aware that death is inevitable and could come at any moment - but we live our day to day life in such a way as to indicate we do not _actually_ believe it.

Usually it is a near death experience - or as simple as your walking in a graveyard - but some people find reason to ask themselves "How have I been spending the moment to moment currency of my life" - and quite often reach a life changing realisation that much of what they have been doing, working towards, concerning themselves with, or obsessing over - is utterly pointless drivel that does not scale with the value and preciousness of the lost time invested in it.

And then most of them - us - simply go on doing more of the same. But the occasional person breaks out of the flow and makes real substantive changes. I am not yet myself one of those people :)

Here for interest is an excerpt from a book that discussed something similar:
    IMAGINE that you have gone to your doctor for a routine checkup, and he gives you terrible news: you have contracted a virus that kills 100 percent of those it infects. The virus mutates so often that its course is totally unpredictable. It can lie dormant for many years, even decades, or it can kill you outright in an hour. It can lead to heart attack, stroke, myriad forms of cancer, dementia, even suicide; in fact, there seems to be no constraints upon what its terminal stages might be.

As for strategies of avoidance—diet and health regimes, sequestration to one's bed—nothing avails. You can be certain that even if you live with no other purpose than to keep the progress of this virus in check, you will die, for there is no cure for it in sight, and the corruption of your body has already begun.

Surely, most people would consider this report to be terrible news indeed—but would it be news, in fact? Isn't the inevitability of death just such a prognosis? Doesn't life itself have all the properties of our hypothetical virus?

It is worth imagining what you would do if you received such a prognosis from your doctor. And then ask yourself that in the absence of such a prognosis - what is actually functionally different?
    trashcan wrote: »
    Nah, fuch the human race.

I do. As often as it lets me. :)
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    Well, this is a depressing thread.

Or life affirming if you look at it the right way - preferably sideways and with a squint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

We know not the time or the place & we're all only ever six feet away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I don't consider death an inevitability. If it happens, I won't know, so I'm going to keep pretending it will never happen.

Plus if we can hold out for long enough, science might figure out how to keep our ancient mortal carcass on the road for a few more miles!

Just have to shower more often to keep the dust down! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

The thoughts of my demise use to really bother me, I couldn't fully comprehend it. However in recent years, it bothers me less and less.

The one thing however that I find difficult is the thoughts of having a child, knowing that child will someday die, I'm not sure I could bare the thoughts of that.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has had these thoughts:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

"I'm not scared of dying , i'm just a little bit scared of what comes after" Brand New

To be honest I think death is like birth. You think you didn't exist as a person before you were born yet you were alive for months in the womb. So maybe death is the same. You move to another level and won't remember the life you had here.
    Anyway who knows :)

"I'm not scared of dying , i'm just a little bit scared of what comes after" Brand New

I am more scared of what comes _just_ before. I am not scared of death at all myself. Not even a little bit.

But I am _terrified_ almost morbidly so of dying. I am a real wuss when it comes to genuine levels of pain. Hell - lets be honest - I am one of those people who throws themselves into pointless and comical contortions when a wasp flies too close. Me and pain - I am a gibbering idiot.

A bad enough tooth ache would likely have me at least checking out the basics of the Dignitas Application Procedures. Let alone an actual terminal illness that brings high levels of agony and dignity loss.

So yea I am morbidly terrified of dying. I am absolutely and entirely at complete peace with the concept of my death however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Twink never died.

No she didn't.

But the stirrup on her horse broke when she was leaning down to help some men remove a boulder from a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A Kid born today might not ever die.

So they will be the immortal goat then.

Elessar wrote: »
    I was visiting a relatives grave recently and as I walked through the graveyard I couldn't help but think that this will be me eventually - 6 ft under. In fact, everyone has the same fate. No matter how rich, successful, famous or powerful you are, you will die. Its lifes only 100% guarantee.

It's hard to fathom, in our day to day lives, going to work, speaking to friends/family, browsing boards etc., whatever. We're completely removed from this universal truth. But when you're around those who have already died, it hits home fairly quickly. I've been having a bit of an existential crisis ever since. What am I going to do when my only remaining close family member passes on? I'll be completely alone in the world. What do I really want from my life? Is this truly it? Maybe I should quit the job, travel, fall in love. Get completely out of my comfort zone.

If anything, it's been a blessing in disguise. It's forced me to re-evaluate my life and is a bit of a humbling wake-up call.

What do other boardsies think of this 'I'm actually going to die one day' thing?
    Just think of it this way every day you spend alive is a day nearer your death ;)

dashoonage wrote: »
    I cant wait for the break to be honest.....i havent had a decent sleep in a while

We could call it the big sleep, doesn't make it sound that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    We know not the time or the place & we're all only ever six feet away :D

Great band them. Stapleton is boss.

Mountain folk always got death on the mind.

"oh daaaayaaath - Won't you spare me over for another yaaare."

Advertisement