Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death will come for us all

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

and you were pure probably sickened that you were alive for the 2008 All Ireland.

Not alone was I alive I was there

Holy fcuk that nearly 8 years ago.....what have I being doing with my life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Elessar wrote:
    I was visiting a relatives grave recently and as I walked through the graveyard I couldn't help but think that this will be me eventually - 6 ft under. In fact, everyone has the same fate. No matter how rich, successful, famous or powerful you are, you will die. Its lifes only 100% guarantee.

Elessar wrote:
    I was visiting a relatives grave recently and as I walked through the graveyard I couldn't help but think that this will be me eventually - 6 ft under. In fact, everyone has the same fate. No matter how rich, successful, famous or powerful you are, you will die. Its lifes only 100% guarantee.

Elessar wrote:
    It's hard to fathom, in our day to day lives, going to work, speaking to friends/family, browsing boards etc., whatever. We're completely removed from this universal truth. But when you're around those who have already died, it hits home fairly quickly. I've been having a bit of an existential crisis ever since. What am I going to do when my only remaining close family member passes on? I'll be completely alone in the world. What do I really want from my life? Is this truly it? Maybe I should quit the job, travel, fall in love. Get completely out of my comfort zone.

Elessar wrote:

Elessar wrote:
    What do other boardsies think of this 'I'm actually going to die one day' thing?

How do you know you weren't on the titanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

funny this thread has come up the day after my hubbie and i took a walk through our local cemetery only yesterday.
    I could literally feel the pain between the living and the dead, and of particular note was the frighteningly high number of child deaths. We found this especially difficult.
    We are only here in this life for a short while.
    In fact I myself was faced with the big 'D' following a serious haemorrhage after I delivered my second child. Was given certainly a glance of hell. I felt that I was being pulled down to a horrible place by ugly tentacles surrounding me, underneath a lake of murky, dirty waters, marshy, to pull me down and down and down...
    then i came to.. hospital sirens... and a crowd of 8 doctors surrounding my bed.
    Took me years to come to grips with all of this. I believe I was going to hell. Why, I don't know, as I led a 'good' life!!
    Why.. I don't know. There was no doubt, some good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Ricky Bobby wont, not until 300 anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'm 41 and when I go to the graveyard to visit my dads grave I also see the graves of 8 people that were in my class at school. It always reminds me of how so so lucky l am to be alive. There's nothing I can do about the fact that someday I will die too but it's something I rarely want to waste time thinking about. Never take your life for granted live well and be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

There can be only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

From the east to the west with plauge bearing steps I march
    My sharp arrows of instant death I shoot in every beating heart
    I will not spare you; I will not care how much you cry
    I am the face of death; weep you humans for now you die

Violent death is storming from all corners of the earth
    I burn the ground, poison the air, all seas and every well.
    I crush all kingdoms, I kill all men I, crush anything of worth
    I unlock the dusty gates of hell

I points spears of pure black death at each and everyone
    At all the unborn I laugh in spite, I killed you before your life began
    I am the angel and the dragon bringer of Orion's curse
    On wings of death without a heart I tore apart the universe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

Thanks Tyler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Elessar wrote: »
    I was visiting a relatives grave recently and as I walked through the graveyard I couldn't help but think that this will be me eventually - 6 ft under.

Not me.

Gonna get cremated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Im going to pass away like my grandad peacefully in my sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

My mortgage has a whopping 30 years left on it.

I will have the last laugh and die before its paid off, take that bank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

and all the time you sleep before your turn :

http://www.hillarys.co.uk/your-life-asleep/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Cryogenics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

DEATH! Death is coming, death is here! Who's that knocking on the door? Oh yes, it's Death!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, this is a depressing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's beginning to snow again. The flakes, silver and dark, are falling obliquely against the lamplight. It's probably falling all over the island; on the central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the graveyards, upon the crosses and headstones, upon all the living and the dead..."
    SHUT THE FECK UP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I used to worry about dying but since I lost my mum I don't really care anymore. I don't believe in an afterlife so for me, this is it.

It says on my grandfather's headstone:
    Sum quod eris, fui quod sis

(I am what you will be, I was what you are)

Death is a part of life. Worrying about it is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Six feet? Be lucky.
    Buried? Be grand.
    Dead before buried?
    Happy days. Sand castles.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Hits everybody like a slap in the face the whole death lark, especially when you lose people you knew your whole life.

Most people's first experiences are grandparents, I've lost 3 so far, my Gran in 2004 to pneumonia and the freaky thing about it she knew she was going to go, she had a really bad flu and she hated doctors after an operation on a slipped disc in her back left her almost unable to walk, she put on an awful lot of weight as a result, anyway she was on the phone to my mother the night before, I could hear her in the background as I was down looking around for a midnight snack, my Gran says to my mam "Your brother is home for the weekend, I'm going to give him the flu and it's going to be the death of me" the following morning my aunt found she passed away in her sleep. I'll never forget the landline ringing that Sunday morning, I was in secondary school then so I loved my Sunday lay in so I was thinking "F**k that I'm not running down to answer it because any time I do it stops ringing the second I make it to the phone, and it's often a wrong number, it's always somebody looking for the local newspaper office which had a similar number to us.

The phone rang for must have been 10 minutes straight non-stop, which I thought was peculiar, still wasn't getting out of bed to answer it, just as I fell back asleep, the front door is being pounded on, it was my mam's sister with the worst news ever. It was bloody awful.

This followed my mam's Dad in 2009, lung cancer withered him away.

Lost my Father's dad in January, who lived only across the road from me for all of my 27 years, he had some severe pain in his stomach around Christmas week, by new year he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, went up to Dublin in mid January for a biopsy and he was in no form for going up there because of the pain and discomfort he was in but they lugged him into an ambulance and brought him up, as soon as he was returned to our local hospital there was a new air bed there for him, tea and biscuits for everyone and the doctors seemed more all over him than the previous fortnight.

My Dad and his siblings went home at about 10pm, my Dad was just about relaxed after a long enough week running around after Grandad, he went to bed at 2am, next thing the phone rang and there was a mad panic as Grandad took a turn, my mam and two of my Dad's sisters went out, Dad couldn't even get out of bed because of a sleeping tablet he took. In the space of that mad panic of 15 minutes, Dad emerged from his room and told my sister and I he was gone. It was so mad how quick it happened and we were lost for words. My sister and I stayed up all night and were very shook over it, I was only out in the hospital 3 days before hand too and gave him some headphones for his radio, it was one of his better days, wasn't in as much pain but I'd imagine he was drugged up, he didn't look that sick other than his stomach looked a bit swollen.

The next few days were very tough, having to see him in a box. The wake was so surreal, I don't think I ever laughed and cried as much in years between the hilarious stories I was told about Grandad and the sadness of him not being around anymore. Everybody put in bits and pieces into the coffin including a can of Guinness, Bounty Bars, someone put an Irish flag pendant on his shirt, my aunt put in a Kilkenny jersey at his feet, I printed off a load of pictures and gave them to everybody to put in, my sister who is pregnant with her first child was supposed to bring him a picture of her first scan for his locker but he died hours before she was going to visit, so that picture went in beside him as well.

I was a bit terrified of carrying the coffin with my Dad, uncle and a few cousins after feeling the weight of it before everyone else did when I was asked to help two of the undertakers put the coffin into the hearse when we were taking him from the house to the church, I happened to have been standing closest to it and they called me over to do it real quick but at the church we were all grand carrying it in and out. Another uncle played bagpipes when we brought Grandad to the graveside, it was the saddest part of the whole thing hearing those pipes, then when we put Grandad on them ratchet strap things and the last of the prayers are said. I never stood that close to the grave before, not even with my other Grandparents, so it was really final watching them lower him in, was almost like looking into a jagged clay bottomless bit, it looked like it had no end. Don't think I ever want to be buried after looking at that.

Can't imagine a day where I'd have to bury anyone closer to me, hopefully none will be before their time and it's as painless as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I like to think that 4 out of 5 people is definitely gonna be have the death thing happen to them. 1 out of 5, Jah bless, keep going, keepin' it strong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    What's that song "who wants to live forever?"
    You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools,
    But that's the way I like it baby,
    I don't wanna live for ever,
    And don't forget the joker!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

First post from the other side.
    Give me prize; I have no pride

"They buried me, Joe! They walked away!"

Yeah, death and taxes. Who cares about Probate when they're dead?

Hey, this is After Hours. We are all dead here - already!

Btw, no insult intended to anyone who posted in this thread sincerely. Blame the OP. Sorry for your troubles.

Dig me up, because I didn't die of natural causes. Find the culprit. Shame them. By 'shame', I mean -. And by - I mean -.

Cré na Cille ftw.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Newsflash:

Boardsies contemplate mortality!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This thread needs more cowbell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I like to think that 4 out of 5 people is definitely gonna be have the death thing happen to them. 1 out of 5, Jah bless, keep going, keepin' it strong!

Damn it ! beat me to it !!!

That was so funny, and the arrogance of that twat surgeon general ...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Of course we will all die.
    I'm not afraid of death at all.
    It is part of this, so I've read recently and liked:

Life is about two numbers and a dash.
    Make the most of dash
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

There are people around my way who are dying to get into the graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I'm very envious of the people who don't fear death at all. My best friend lost his father just before I went to India, and both those experiences have had me on this death/existential spiral for the past 3 years. I think I'd be less scared of dying if we lived longer. I don't know, 80 years old just doesn't cut it for me. If we could live to 150 (and obviously still be functional and able for most of that), then that'd be ideal. But that's not the case :)

I know it's illogical to fear death. Do I fear what life was like before I was born? Not really, because I was nothing, how can I fear or feel any emotion about nothing? It's impossible, and also irrational, yet I fear it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

Advertisement