Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death will come for us all

Options
  • 26-04-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

I was visiting a relatives grave recently and as I walked through the graveyard I couldn't help but think that this will be me eventually - 6 ft under. In fact, everyone has the same fate. No matter how rich, successful, famous or powerful you are, you will die. Its lifes only 100% guarantee.

It's hard to fathom, in our day to day lives, going to work, speaking to friends/family, browsing boards etc., whatever. We're completely removed from this universal truth. But when you're around those who have already died, it hits home fairly quickly. I've been having a bit of an existential crisis ever since. What am I going to do when my only remaining close family member passes on? I'll be completely alone in the world. What do I really want from my life? Is this truly it? Maybe I should quit the job, travel, fall in love. Get completely out of my comfort zone.

If anything, it's been a blessing in disguise. It's forced me to re-evaluate my life and is a bit of a humbling wake-up call.

What do other boardsies think of this 'I'm actually going to die one day' thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Elessar wrote: »
    What do other boardsies think of this 'I'm actually going to die one day' thing?

No I'm not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

I was visiting a relatives grave recently and as I walked through the graveyard I couldn't help but think that this will be me eventually - 6 ft under. In fact, everyone has the same fate. No matter how rich, successful, famous or powerful you are, you will die. Its lifes only 100% guarantee.

It's hard to fathom, in our day to day lives, going to work, speaking to friends/family, browsing boards etc., whatever. We're completely removed from this universal truth. But when you're around those who have already died, it hits home fairly quickly. I've been having a bit of an existential crisis ever since. What am I going to do when my only remaining close family member passes on? I'll be completely alone in the world. What do I really want from my life? Is this truly it? Maybe I should quit the job, travel, fall in love. Get completely out of my comfort zone.

If anything, it's been a blessing in disguise. It's forced me to re-evaluate my life and is a bit of a humbling wake-up call.

It's true. We're all on a clock and looking at what age you are you can have a very rough idea of how long (all things going well) you have left.

I think in older times people were more connected to death - nowadays it is possible to be mostly shielded from it until you get to adulthood and so it can be a bit abstract. It's part of the price we all must pay for getting to experience being alive. Personally, when the fact of my mortality dawned on me as a teenager, I was literally obsessed with my future death (in particular the way i would die, and the pain associated with it, rather than the finality of not existing again which never really bothered me and which I think is impossible to genuinely comprehend anyway) for about 8 years afterwards and it is only in the last year maybe that I have come to terms with it to a degree I am comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

It hit me at around 30,I've my mind made up to see as much of this world as possible before I leave it...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's a shíte way to look at life. I prefer to think in terms of I have so much to live for, rather than spending any time thinking about dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

We lack key insights and perspectives because we deny ourselves certain psychedelic drugs that are as close to a panacea for these feelings about death as nature could offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

A Kid born today might not ever die.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jake Stiles

Yep - you'll be dead long enough without thinking about it when your still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Lurkio wrote: »
    It's true. We're all on a clock and looking at what age you are you can have a very rough idea of how long (all things going well) you have left.

And what of those who come from families where there is a lot of sudden deaths <35 years old :eek:

Though I'd be pure sickened if waterford win the all Ireland a week after I dieing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Twink never died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Better to burn out than to fade away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Twink never died.

She just looks like she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Strange, mad celebration ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

What's that song "who wants to live forever?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

For us all? That's a lot of coming... Wonder how he does it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

smash wrote: »
    For us all? That's a lot of coming... Wonder how he does it?

Tantric sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

"The glories of our blood and state are shadows not substantial things, there is no armour against fate, death lays his icy hand on kings"

The only poem I remember from the Inter Cert but the geezer that wrote it sums it up, we'll all be in a pine box one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Death comes for us all, Oroku-Saki. But something much worse comes for you, for when you die it will be without honour. Hard to believe a rat said that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

And what of those who come from families where there is a lot of sudden deaths <35 years old :eek:

Though I'd be pure sickened if waterford win the all Ireland a week after I dieing

Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Get busy living or get busy dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

and you were pure probably sickened that you were alive for the 2008 All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Once I get to a decent age and still have quality of life and it's not painful I don't mind.. :).. In some ways thinking about my mortality makes the stupid little things that sometimes worry me go away.. They mean fcuk all in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Just think of it as doing your part for the continued survival of the human race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just think of it as doing your part for the continued survival of the human race!

Nah, fuch the human race. This is all about meeeee:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Bruce Forsyth is proof we can all live forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

It hit me at around 30,I've my mind made up to see as much of this world as possible before I leave it...

Seen it. Bought the t-shirt.

It's pretty much the same pile of monkey muck everywhere. :D

Challenges are my exploration. Keep finding new ones... that's the key to a happy existence. A lot of people are actually dead inside long before they actually die... because their life is stale and too 'safe'!

Challenges keep you alive, and make you live longer!

Like mikey says to rocky: "I think that people die sometimes when they don't wanna live no more." :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually I find graveyards to be a good reminder of how good I have it. Even in my more pitiable moments the vast majority of those now silent souls would give anything to have five more minutes of my woes just to feel alive again. It gets me out of myself and any funk I may be going through.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Challenges keep you alive, and make you live longer!

Yeah and married men live longer too. Me bollix.

Advertisement