Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Seizing a car!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

He had a blue jacket with a large crest. A shirt have buttoned and hanging out and a large bulge on his right side (Handgun) maybe

Armed response, Armed guard all the same.

As he was talking i politley interrupted and said sorry but my car is taxed, I have the receipt and I know it's not displayed.

He returned with no one cares about a receipt now have some respect and let me finish!!

So after that little tantrum I commented on his appearance as he was a half dressed supposed guardian of the peace who should be at least dressed properly to respect himself never mind the uniform.

I was trying to be nice and informative but he can piss off if he thinks I'm going to take his crap because he thinks he can speak to me in that manner.

It doesn't matter what kind of guard he is or thinks he is. Have respect for others and you will get it back and at least wear your uniform with pride or not at all.

As a poster questions my reason for this thread is to see why the Guard at the Airport seized my car ( I'll admit he was very nice ) but the armed heard said that he could not seize it now but that it could be seized.

I never gave cheek until he did but at that stage I was sick listening to him rabble on when all he had to say was " why have you no tax".

Instead I got an essay of a speech about nothing

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Just comply.

It's always some "dog ate my homework" excuse along with mouthing off to the police.

I have never had even a hint of bother with the police in my 33 years because I just do what they ask me to do and I have all of my **** correct and in order. It's literally that simple.

Grow up OP.

Exactly, you just do as you told which is why some guards think they can do as they like!

And my **** was in order if he has of listened.

I'm very sorry I couldn't tax my car the very sec it was out or a week before hand.

I'm obviously not as fortunate as you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭Allinall

He had a blue jacket with a large crest. A shirt have buttoned and hanging out and a large bulge on his right side (Handgun) maybe

As he was talking i politley interrupted and said sorry but my car is taxed, I have the receipt and I know it's not displayed.

He returned with no one cares about a receipt now have some respect and let me finish!!

So after that little tantrum I commented on his appearance as he was a half dressed supposed guardian of the peace who should be at least dressed properly to respect himself never mind the uniform.

I was trying to be nice and informative but he can piss off if he thinks I'm going to take his crap because he thinks he can speak to me in that manner.

It doesn't matter what kind of guard he is or thinks he is. Have respect for others and you will get it back and at least wear your uniform with pride or not at all.

As a poster questions my reason for this thread is to see why the Guard at the Airport seized my car ( I'll admit he was very nice ) but the armed heard said that he could not seize it now but that it could be seized.

I never gave cheek until he did but at that stage I was sick listening to him rabble on when all he had to say was " why have you no tax".

You're my hero.

Head over to the Emergency Services forum and let them know of your one man campaign to reform the guards.

You could also email Francis Fitzgerald. She'd appreciate your imput.

There's not enough like you in the country to keep our police force in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Exactly, you just do as you told which is why some guards think they can do as they like!

I'm very sorry I couldn't tax my car the very sec it was out or a week before hand.

actually it wasnt. you had no tax disc displayed. that is an offence in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

I'm afraid you seem to be one of those people who can't admit when they're in the wrong.

Your car was seized and you still didn't have the common sense or the respect for the law to keep it off the road until you had valid tax to display.

You then take issue with a Guard who was fully within his rights to lecture you about breaking the laws of this country so you decide to abuse his appearance.

You've then come on this site to complain and have blatantly lied about the armed unit holding you up etc etc

You clearly have no respect for the laws of this country,for the guards or for the posters on here but Jesus man have some respect for yourself and grow a pair will you. You're embarrassing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Tell me KwackerJack, did you ever get accepted for the Garda reserves?

I don't know why you're going on about him having no respect for the uniform etc etc

Armed guards dont wear uniforms.
    Maybe your lack of attention to detail is why you can't understand that failing to display a tax disc is an offence.
    You were clearly wrong & got to keep your car, then you go on the internet complaining that the guard didn't take your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

And yes before the PC brigade pop in I know it should not be on the road

When did obeying the law become political correctness? I think I missed that memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jesus are you his fcuking tailor??
    You are starting to change your story now, so you interrupted him (as you admit) and he fired back with:

"no one cares about a receipt now have some respect and let me finish!!"

But originally you wrote:

"he told me to have some respect and let him speak" Sure that's different to what you are now saying.

How does one politely interrupt someone? Interrupting is already impolite.
    You acted the maggot with him and he still let you off, why you came on here to try and get some thanks out of it I don't know.

Its a shame it wasn't your laptop that was seized KnackerJack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

A, It’s rude to interrupt someone that is speaking; you can moan until the cows come home, it’s rude.

B, He didn’t have a tantrum, he correctly informed you that it’s rude and don’t interrupt, most people would do that regardless of occupation.

C, There’s a lot of gibberish in here, the Garda had his shirt pulled out, oh lordy my, how could such a thing happen with a ballistic vest and utility belt hanging of him? Now I suggest you have some respect for the English language or don’t use it at all.

D, All this little rant does is make Gardai less inclined to give people a break because even when they do, little moaners still moan.

E, https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/785282/384263.jpg

He had a blue jacket with a large crest.

.....and she wore a raspberry beret, the kind you find in a second hand store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

You didn't have a valid tax disc on display.

It's not about being fortunate. It's about being a proper grown up and not having a strop like a child when someone in authority tries to show you your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Clarebelly wrote: »

Good detective work. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Good detective work. ;)

He would have found it too taxing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bear1 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    The guard helped the op out and didn't take the car and the op was cheeky in return.
    How am I skewing the discussion?
    Having a receipt isn't enough (you could make it on word) to prove you paid and valid tax needs to be displayed.
    How was he boorish? By telling the op the tax must be displayed? Yeah what a prick of a cop.
    If that's too difficult for you to comprehend then we may as well leave it there.

Can a vehicle be seized for simple non-display of tax?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Esel wrote: »

Section 41 Road traffic act 1994 AS AMENDED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

...if he did, he would probably be the best dressed Garda on the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Esel wrote: »

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

OP reminds me of Jay from Inbetweeners

• Advertisement

I did actually. Defered my place due to work and college.

Have you found a hobbie for yourself yet or do you just spend your days staking boards members?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭Allinall

Have you found a hobbie for yourself yet or do you just spend your days staking boards members?

In fairness, he did drive your argument into the ground.

And now you've just let Clarebelly know that s/he's got to you.

Rule 1.1 of the psychology of anonymous forums on the www - when caught, don't react, pretend to ignore...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

So my car was seized about 2 weeks back at the Airport due to the tax being out 6 months.

Quick story auto gearbox went, parked it up till I had the money, got it fixed in Audi and 3 days later it was seized on a Saturday.

I explained my story, showed Audi receipts and he didn't care and took the car.

So I got it back and taxed it online on Friday just gone. Last night between coolock and the N32 I was stopped at a garda check point. A member of the ARU came up and before I could show the tax receipt he went on a big rant about the tax.

Now when I tried to tell him it was taxed he told me to have some respect and let him speak. I told him when he zips up his jacket, tucks his shirt in and takes his hands out of his pockets I'll show some respect as he looked a mess!!

Then he said something which is why I'm writing this post, his exact words below

***I cannot seize this car on the side of the road right now, but your car can be seized***

I showed his the tax receipt and he just blubber moaned on about it anyway and let me go.

But I'm wondering what he meant by he can't seize it right now. The guards at the Airport didn't have issue taking it!!

And yes before the PC brigade pop in I know it should not be on the road and I usually have the highest respect for Guards but the last two checkpoint make me question if the law is just made up as they see fit?

If you go looking for trouble, it will find you.
    Always display a valid tax disc on your car, problem solved.
    You can't afford to run your automatic Audi, sell it and buy another car you can afford to run (with cheaper tax too). Problem solved.
    1. tax your car. 2. Fix the gearbox (in that order).
    Driving around with your car tax 6 months out is asking for it.
    Lesson learned.
    For the record, the injector pump went on my BMW 320d the same week my tax was due.
    So I signed it off the road, walked around for 3 months, got taxi's, buses, cycled; while I saved up for the repair.
    Then I taxed it, and got the repair done (in that order).
    It took 3 months to get the car back on the road, 3 months of getting wet walking in the rain and waiting at bus stops etc.
    But I didn't have any of the trouble with Guards and seizing my car.
    Motor tax and car repair hurts everyone in the pocket, but you have brought the rest of your troubles on yourself.
    What do you expect? Sympathy for going looking for trouble and getting it?
    Be serious.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    OP reminds me of Jay from Inbetweeners

I pictured Walter Mitty myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

the OP seems to me to be one of those type of people that seems to think respect should be shown to them first before they respect anyone. God almighty that type of person is a gob****e imo,

Here is some advice for the OP.
    When in hole, stop digging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Anyway my question is he seemed to be pretty sure that he could not seize the car there and then but whats a 2 second call to a tow truck??

The way he said it was as if he wasn't allowed to seize it yet the Guard at the Airport did.

I think the answer to that question is that he wasn't arsed dealing with you anymore.
    Sometimes its best to walk away from certain people

More hassle that your worth mate. I think is the phrase used

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i love these threads, OP comes in with ''this happened me today' 'some sorry scenario involving conflict with someone else and insists they're in the right, assuming others will agree as such. only to be told repeatedly they are the problem. they are the gift that keeps on giving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Anyway my question is he seemed to be pretty sure that he could not seize the car there and then but whats a 2 second call to a tow truck??

The way he said it was as if he wasn't allowed to seize it yet the Guard at the Airport did.

He was most likely looking for bigger criminals and didn't want to waste time taking a car for no tax from an irrelevant person.

Advertisement