Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Seizing a car!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

esforum wrote: »
    What was the result of the complaints against the Gardai that threatened your mother?

Ha ha! you're joking, right? Back a good 25 years ago an unmarked car was overtaking at a junction as my father was turning right. (travelling in the same direction as them.) They hit his front wing and spun off into a green area just missing an electricity pylon. The result? My father was left with a wrecked Transit and an endorsement on his licence.

No such thing as an ombudsman back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    OP was correct. Respect is earned, not given away and just because someone is a Garda doesn't mean they deserve any special treatment.

I disagree. While I would say respect is earned in some regards, there are other circumstances where a respectul manner should be maintained. I don't believe in giving the Gardaí attitude. I think it just makes things worse if you start getting mouthy with them. From my experience, just doing what they say and being respectful will make things go by much quicker.
    If they deal fairly with you, you deal fairly with them.. if they act the dick, feel free to take their details and complain to their Super or above.

I'd take their details and complain to their superior but that's about it. I wouldn't risk getting into an argument, especially if I was the one in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Secondhand Audi drivers....😠😠

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

OP, you sound very aggressive for someone who fashion-checks armed guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I feel it's a case of "shoulda woulda coulda".

My hole did you say any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

pablo128 wrote: »
    Ha ha! you're joking, right? Back a good 25 years ago an unmarked car was overtaking at a junction as my father was turning right. (travelling in the same direction as them.) They hit his front wing and spun off into a green area just missing an electricity pylon. The result? My father was left with a wrecked Transit and an endorsement on his licence.

No such thing as an ombudsman back then.

Dont believe I was asking you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

esforum wrote: »
    Dont believe I was asking you

Well I was telling you. And everyone else.

If you have this romantic notion that the guards can do no wrong, you are sadly mistaken. They are human after all, and so now and again they mightn't be in good humour. That doesn't mean they are free to be arseholes towards the general public.

In the right circumstances I would have no problem in giving a smart answer back if I feel a guard is being a smart arse. Thankfully most of them are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You wouldn't download a tax cert!

But you would print the receipt

bear1 wrote: »
    He did yeah.... Once he was alone.
    If he actually did then I bet the guard was speaking and the op interrupted him which is when the guard told him to have respect. Then you go off and complain about his appearance?
    I'd have had the tow truck out after that.

And that's the reason people hate guards.....lets tow him away because he annoyed me
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    I disagree. While I would say respect is earned in some regards, there are other circumstances where a respectul manner should be maintained. I don't believe in giving the Gardaí attitude. I think it just makes things worse if you start getting mouthy with them. From my experience, just doing what they say and being respectful will make things go by much quicker.

I'd take their details and complain to their superior but that's about it. I wouldn't risk getting into an argument, especially if I was the one in the wrong.

And that will get me where??
    Phil.x wrote: »
    Secondhand Audi drivers....😠ðŸ˜

Yea because its only Audi drivers that give cheek. You must be really bored searching my profile!
    Icepick wrote: »
    OP, you sound very aggressive for someone who fashion-checks armed guards.

How do I sound aggressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Who said that the guards are hated?
    You drove with the tax not showing, the guard was annoyed and told you he cant tow the car right now but he could essentially if he wanted.
    You interrupted him and he said to be respectful and you commented on his appearance.
    He did you a favour and you don't seem to be able to notice that but pretend like your mr. Big bollocks cause you told a guard he's dressed badly. Good lad yourself.
    He could tow you as well cause you didn't have a valid tax disc on display. End of.

He was not armed at the time and had a jacket opened covering his half dressed uniform. My point is that I would not take cheek from a half dressed have arsed guard. I'm a civilian and ig i get cheeky or go on like a spoilt brat then that's my own personal attitude failure but this chap being a Guard should be the one who keeps composed, calm and respectful and he should at least respect the uniform and dress correctly.

I dont care if he is a guard or wears a uniform, I'm not the kind of person who will be abused by someone because they have a title or wear a uniform, if you or other people here are the 'yes sir' type then I'm sorry you are under the thumb of a person in a uniform.

The Guard who seized the car was actually quiet nice and explained and gave me some information on the quickest and cheapest method on retrieving the car and even hinted at my GF to 'buy' the car so I would not be hit with back tax.

Was I cheeky with him NO and why, because he was actually pretty nice and he explained everything in a calm and respectful manner. I handed over the keys and we shook hands and I went home.

That is how a Guard should act, not like that other chap who looked like he fell out of bed and rolled onto checkpoint duty. I have always given the guards respect and always will as long as I'm treated properly.

For once in my life I actually understand why people hate guards, If this guard is the type of person trusted with public safety and engagement around Dublin then I cant blame people for not liking them.

• Advertisement

Who said that the guards are hated?
    You drove with the tax not showing, the guard was annoyed and told you he cant tow the car right now but he could essentially if he wanted.
    You interrupted him and he said to be respectful and you commented on his appearance.
    He did you a favour and you don't seem to be able to notice that but pretend like your mr. Big bollocks cause you told a guard he's dressed badly. Good lad yourself.
    He could tow you as well cause you didn't have a valid tax disc on display. End of.

As he was rambling on I tired to show him the tax receipt and it then he told me to stay quiet and have respect. So I told him what I thought as I was giving him information to help the situation but he lied his own voice to much to stop and actually let me explain the circumstances

Again I dont care who he is, I'll show respect if I'm shown it to.

So for people who work full time and cant get to a tax office, yet do actually tax their cars online you expect them to be given grief by a guard because the little piece paper is missing??

At least its taxed and paid for!!

Anyway my question is he seemed to be pretty sure that he could not seize the car there and then but whats a 2 second call to a tow truck??

The way he said it was as if he wasn't allowed to seize it yet the Guard at the Airport did.

If he was asking you to let him finish speaking then that means you were being cheeky and disrespectful first.
    His shirt isn't tucked in while he stands in the middle of the road ready for any danger that may happen, and you are ranting on about his shirt... Jesus wept.

He was not armed at the time and had a jacket opened covering his half dressed uniform. My point is that I would not take cheek from a half dressed have arsed guard. I'm a civilian and ig i get cheeky or go on like a spoilt brat then that's my own personal attitude failure but this chap being a Guard should be the one who keeps composed, calm and respectful and he should at least respect the uniform and dress correctly.

Get your guards right!!
    If he wasnt armed he wasn't ARU ( which by the way, doesn't exist, some unit you made up )

And he had a uniform on????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

I'd say that the guard was just trying to warn you that your car COULD be seized.

If it was a Traffic Corps checkpoint, then it probably would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

bubblypop wrote: »
    ARU?
    How did he hold his gun if his hands were in his pockets?

Although it's unlikely he had both hands off the gun, they would be attached by a sling around the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

This "ARU" you speak of don't wear full uniforms, only a jacket. So make up your mind, was it "ARU" or was it a regular Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Valuable lesson here op. You have to lick the ass (metaphorically) of a garda, yes guard, no guard, 3 bags full guard. Do this if you want to drive home with just a warning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

He did yeah.... Once he was alone.
    If he actually did then I bet the guard was speaking and the op interrupted him which is when the guard told him to have respect. Then you go off and complain about his appearance?
    I'd have had the tow truck out after that.

Oh, so rather than being a guardian of the peace whose job is to uphold the law you'd be the kind of cop who fucks with people who don't show you enough deference.

Surely seizing property without a court warrant is illegal?

Am always reminded of this case when I hear of cars being seized:http://www.donegaldaily.com/2014/04/11/we-won-court-case-when-gardai-seized-car-you-can-do-the-same/

• Advertisement

If he was asking you to let him finish speaking then that means you were being cheeky and disrespectful first.
    His shirt isn't tucked in while he stands in the middle of the road ready for any danger that may happen, and you are ranting on about his shirt... Jesus wept.

Oh here we go.....putting his life on the line everyday so the rest of us can sleep soundly or some shit. Change the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Cienciano wrote: »
    Valuable lesson here op. You have to lick the ass (metaphorically) of a garda, yes guard, no guard, 3 bags full guard. Do this if you want to drive home with just a warning

I'm confused by all the posts along these lines

From my reading the Garda that the OP had this conversation with didn't seize the car and let him go!

It was Airport police apparently that seized his car?

Riskymove wrote: »
    I'm confused by all the posts along these lines

From my reading the Garda that the OP had this conversation with didn't seize the car and let him go!

It was Airport police apparently that seized his car?

was the Gardai in the airport

and why anyone thinks its OK to start critisising the Gardas dressing is beyond me.

shirts get undone, it happens, stop not picking. He let ya off FFS and you are still having a go

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Surely seizing property without a court warrant is illegal

Section 41 of the Road Traffic Act, 1994

The Minister may, after consultation with the Minister for Justice, make regulations authorising and providing for the detention, removal, storage and subsequent release or disposal of a mechanically propelled vehicle in use in a public place where—

a member of the Garda Síochána is of opinion that any excise duty payable under section 1 of the Finance (Excise Duties) (Vehicles) Act, 1952 , in respect of the vehicle, being a vehicle which is or which the member reasonably believes to be registered in the State, has not been paid in respect of a continuous period of 3 months or more immediately prior to such use.

Surely seizing property without a court warrant is illegal?

Am always reminded of this case when I hear of cars being seized:http://www.donegaldaily.com/2014/04/11/we-won-court-case-when-gardai-seized-car-you-can-do-the-same/

tis a shame that the man in that article missed the point and continues to give bad advise. Freemen come to mind

Section 41 of the Road Traffic Act, 1994

The Minister may, after consultation with the Minister for Justice, make regulations authorising and providing for the detention, removal, storage and subsequent release or disposal of a mechanically propelled vehicle in use in a public place where—

a member of the Garda Síochána is of opinion that any excise duty payable under section 1 of the Finance (Excise Duties) (Vehicles) Act, 1952 , in respect of the vehicle, being a vehicle which is or which the member reasonably believes to be registered in the State, has not been paid in respect of a continuous period of 3 months or more immediately prior to such use.

Damn thats a shame!

HensVassal wrote: »
    Oh, so rather than being a guardian of the peace whose job is to uphold the law you'd be the kind of cop who fucks with people who don't show you enough deference.
    Oh here we go.....putting his life on the line everyday so the rest of us can sleep soundly or some shit. Change the record.

What record?
    The Guard went passed the law and allowed the OP to keep the car when he could have acted according to the law and seized the car.
    Have you managed to understand that far?
    Let's switch sides here, you are the Guard and the OP comes up to you at a checkpoint and you see he has no valid tax showing.
    You then explain to him the go arounds of this and during this the OP is interrupting you.
    You are already standing out in the cold doing the same thing over and over and tell the OP to have some respect and to let you finish.
    At this point the OP comments on your appearance.
    Now, what would you do in that scenario?
    Me? Yes I would act according to the law if the OP decided to act the gob****e with me.

What record?
    The Guard went passed the law and allowed the OP to keep the car when he could have acted according to the law and seized the car.
    Have you managed to understand that far?
    Let's switch sides here, you are the Guard and the OP comes up to you at a checkpoint and you see he has no valid tax showing.
    You then explain to him the go arounds of this and during this the OP is interrupting you.
    You are already standing out in the cold doing the same thing over and over and tell the OP to have some respect and to let you finish.
    At this point the OP comments on your appearance.
    Now, what would you do in that scenario?
    Me? Yes I would act according to the law if the OP decided to act the gob****e with me.

How do you know it was cold? Seems to me that in your efforts to "switch sides" you are lending a lot of credence (warranted or otherwise) so as to skew the discussion in the policeman's favour.

As for interruptions? Was the cop giving a speech at the UN where he demanded total attention? No. The OP was trying to inform him that the car was taxed and that he had proof of it being taxed.

And I don't give a toss if he was standing in the cold, or if his missus was sleeping around on him or if his goldfish died that morning. That doesn't give him the right to be curt and boorish with others. It might explain him being a dick but he should expect the same attitude in return.

How do you know it was cold? Seems to me that in your efforts to "switch sides" you are lending a lot of credence (warranted or otherwise) so as to skew the discussion in the policeman's favour.

As for interruptions? Was the cop giving a speech at the UN where he demanded total attention? No. The OP was trying to inform him that the car was taxed and that he had proof of it being taxed.

And I don't give a toss if he was standing in the cold, or if his missus was sleeping around on him or if his goldfish died that morning. That doesn't give him the right to be curt and boorish with others. It might explain him being a dick but he should expect the same attitude in return.

:rolleyes:
    The guard helped the op out and didn't take the car and the op was cheeky in return.
    How am I skewing the discussion?
    Having a receipt isn't enough (you could make it on word) to prove you paid and valid tax needs to be displayed.
    How was he boorish? By telling the op the tax must be displayed? Yeah what a prick of a cop.
    If that's too difficult for you to comprehend then we may as well leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Just comply.

It's always some "dog ate my homework" excuse along with mouthing off to the police.

I have never had even a hint of bother with the police in my 33 years because I just do what they ask me to do and I have all of my **** correct and in order. It's literally that simple.

Grow up OP.

Advertisement