Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumanji remake with "The Rock"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,680 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This seems to have been pulled from a lot of cinema's schedules. Does anyone here know why that would be?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not sure why it would be completely pulled. I think I remember hearing Star Wars had put conditions like getting main screens for a certain amount of weeks but don't think they said anything about excluding other films.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i think the shows last week were only previews.

i think the shows last week were only previews.

ah, that's it! :)
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Irish-Box-Office-Report-Week-49-Jumanji-previews-at-no1/400125.htm
    Advance previews of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and Ferdinand both did well. Jumanji, with The Rock and Jack Black, took first place bringing in over €150,000 while Ferdinand, the story of the bull with the big heart, came in fifth with €64,000. They'll get a full cinematic release on the 20th and 16th respectively

Good call to get some press before Star Wars ships.

Isn't it interesting that in the previous Jumanji it was a tabletop boardgame, but now it's a video game?

• Advertisement

Isn't it interesting that in the previous Jumanji it was a tabletop boardgame, but now it's a video game?

Time moves on :) I thought they integrated the video game tropes quite well into the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Was in the "Why?" camp when I first heard about this and the "Meh" camp after seeing the trailer. But it's actually a good deal of fun. Cast works well together, plenty of chuckles, and pokes fun at some video game tropes well. Some ropey CGI and
    the "becoming a video game" was a bit naff, but I suppose it would be harder for an in-movie remake/reboot/change to make sense

Would recommend it though...and probably more family friendly than the original too (watched the Honest Trailers on that recently; forgot it was so dark / scary for kids)!

🤪

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Boot fetishists will be happy.

Karen-Gillan-on-the-set-of-Jumanji--06-300x420.jpg

zip boots with laces tend to confuse me

I assume it's all about fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Thought it would be dreadful but I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Thoroughly enjoyed the new Film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Got to see this recently. Was thoroughly enjoyable, great cast. Good release for this time of the year. Opted to see it instead of Star Wars.

Boot fetishists will be happy.

Karen-Gillan-on-the-set-of-Jumanji--06-300x420.jpg

She was a definite plus. Glad to see a pale redhead who wasn't a baddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I love the Rock, but I cant look at this film because that unfunny little annoying eejit that's in it. Also that clown is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Went to see it today with the kids, they loved it and I found it very enjoyable.
    1 of the kids even said it was better than the Last Jedi :eek:

Anyway good job on the remake/reboot or what ever they want to call it, good laugh and will pass a couple of hours with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

got round to seeing this on Wednesday .

thought it was great.

the rock and jack black stand out for their performances. Dwayne channeling his inner nerd and how it'd react to being in a bod like his and black having the time of his life pretending to be a teenage girl

i have to fess up to being there also for the luminous karen gillan. jesus she just gets better looking in everything she does and i gotta say it was funny as fuk to see a blindingly sexy woman trying her damnedest to NOT be sexy in her "seduce the guards" scene.

:D

they do a great job integrating video game tropes, its funny where its meant to be and surprisingly touching in places too. i really liked that ending with the lad from 96.

i give it a good 8/10.

on an aside it also seems to be benefiting from a bit of a titanic/austin powers thing in my area as it took me THREE attempts to see it and get a decent seat. i tend to like seeing a show with plenty of seats to pick from and all three times i tried it was sold out - i barely got a decent seat the last time.

as its one of the few to be released against "the last jedi" i presume its helping it as theres really nowt else on the family friendly front beside it. i mean i just checked box office mojo and its number 1 for tuesday.

i certainly DIDNT expect that for it when it was mooted waaay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

fecking hell

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4357&p=.htm

no one saw this coming .

with a budget of 90mil is this the most sucessful film the Rocks done ?

i certainly dont remember the last time a flim hit the number 1 spot three weeks after its release !

the word of mouth must be incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's one of the few family friendly movies out at the moment which probably has a lot to do with it. And there's only so many times you can go see SW.

Big win for Karen Gillan who's had two 300m+ grossing films in the one year. And she has Avengers 3 this year. Hope she gets some leading roles out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,395 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sony's 5th highest grossing film ever

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sony's 5th highest grossing film ever

Goes to show The Rock is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Now over $750 million worldwide box office after 3 weeks. Thought it was a pretty fun and enjoyable popcorn flick but don't think anyone predicted this......

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4362&p=.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing success, it's going to have much longer legs than SW TLJ - all it lacks is a comparable opening weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The worry now is that they might try to recapture the magic with a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The worry now is that they might try to recapture the magic with a sequel.

They can make another movie or two easy... they can change it up by just having different people jump into the avatars, Though i can see them keeping it simple and just rotating who jumps into who.. the story could be written on the car drive on the way to set... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

Has anyone seen it? Any use?

Loads of people have seen. $750M worth of tickets. Its a really good movie. ANd it has Karen Gillan so its worth a watch even if it wasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Yes, it's enjoyable, leave your brain at the door and don't get too hung up on the little niggles kind of movie. Jack Black is the best in it.

Yes, it's enjoyable, leave your brain at the door and don't get too hung up on the little niggles kind of movie. Jack Black is the best in it.

Karen Gillan flirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Karen Gillan flirting.

Ok it might be a tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I was looking forward to seeing this, but when I saw that Chris Rock is in it, No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I was looking forward to seeing this, but when I saw that Chris Rock is in it, No thanks.

32E893B600000578-3526955-image-m-80_1459968983701.jpg

Advertisement