Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumanji remake with "The Rock"

Options
  • 23-04-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Why? We don't need a remake of this classic

The Rock Confirms Remake of Jumanji

I like him, really enjoy his work, but Jumanji should NOT be remade.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is he intended to replace Robin Williams? If so, awful idea.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Stupid idea. Original film was grand.

The Rock replacing Robin Williams? No. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm not a fan of remakes and I loved Jumanji when I was a kid but I think this will be a new story based around the same premise which is OK. There was talk of Kevin Hart being involved as well. Provided they do something original with it (I'm aware of the irony) I'm OK with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I can see it now, The Rock will take what Robin Williams did and turn it into Tarzan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I don't think it needs a remake but there are plenty of possibilities for sequels with other characters finding the game and doing something different. Maybe they could show more of the worlds within the game rather than just having stuff coming out of the game into the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yet another remake. Sigh. Jumanji remade starring The Rock? Wow, Ghostbusters 3 all is forgiven...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't have any particularly fond memories of Jumanji, other than it being passingly entertaining at the time & not overly memorable (boy, have the FX not aged too well), so I can't say I'm majorly steamed about this announcement. Can only imagine any remake, reboot, sequel is just going to go even more overboard with the CGI. The Rock seems like a genuinely nice guy, but his movies have never really appealed all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

There is a special place in Hell for people who don't like Jumanji. Mork and Mindy repeat land. Really hope they don't remake this.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't have any particularly fond memories of Jumanji, other than it being passingly entertaining at the time & not overly memorable (boy, have the FX not aged too well), so I can't say I'm majorly steamed about this announcement. Can only imagine any remake, reboot, sequel is just going to go even more overboard with the CGI. The Rock seems like a genuinely nice guy, but his movies have never really appealed all that much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There is a special place in Hell for people who don't like Jumanji. Mork and Mindy repeat land. Really hope they don't remake this.

Well that escalated quickly: I said it was entertaining, but I'm not exactly remembering what's so great about it that those not sharing appropriate joygasms of nostalgia should be cast into hell. The FX were pretty great for their time & had a good pace to it that kept the excitement up, but little else that makes it sticky in the memory too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I read that as Jumanji remake of The Rock - suddenly my mind was full of stranger than normal visions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,408 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nick Jonas is in talks to join Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart and Jack Black in the Jake Kasdan-directed reimagining of Jumanji that Sony Pictures has set for a July 28, 2017 release. Matt Tolmach is producing
    - Source Deadline

So not a remake, a reimagining :confused:

I think with Rock and Hart attached it will do well financially

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I dunno...is Jumanji a "classic"? I'm not really in favour of remakes...but in this case the new one might be better than the old one. Jumanji is a bit meh really. It's not like remaking goodfellas or citizen Kane or blade runner..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's like the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Fat three .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Jack Black as an overgrown man child who got trapped in the game is fairly believable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,986 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    - Source Deadline

So not a remake, a reimagining :confused:

I think with Rock and Hart attached it will do well financially

I think I hate that hollywood BS term more than any other hollywood BS term. :mad:

Also, 'Jumanji'...really? That film needs remaking?

It wasn't that great the first time round. It was merely an ok film that loses the run of itself about 3/4's in.

And The Rock?

To hell with this planet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember going to see Jumanji in the cinema when it was out but I don't remember much about the film itself and haven't watched it since. I can only conclude that it wasn't a great film to begin with. Remaking with the Rock sounds like yet another throwaway film. I can't see myself rushing out to catch this really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Jumanji was a bloody fantastic film - fair enough if it's not everyone's cup of tea and it might not be up to award winning standard, but 8 year old me loved every minute of watching that in the cinema, and still enjoy it when I re-watch as an adult... Maybe that's just nostalgia speaking, but whatever, childhood nostalgia is vastly underrated - it helps people lighten up a little... ;)

That said, I'm not a fan of re-makes in general - sometimes it works, the 21 Jump Street re-boot being a prime example, but more often than not re-makes are just painful to watch and Hollywood needs to stop doing them...

So Johnson has confirmed that this Will be a continuation of the original's story in which case I would love if they got Bonnie Hunt back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I can enjoy that. Make him a new character, maybe have some sort of not to Williams in here. Hopefully they're able to get both Bonnie Hunt AND Kirsten Dunst back (maybe her kids are the centre of it).

You know, this sounds like it could be a wonderful idea. Especially when how much modern graphics have come, can you imagine Jumanji now with the technology they used in Jungle Book?

• Advertisement

Karen Gillan has joined. I'm really curious how they're going to get these characters together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Does Hollywood not know there are other actors besides him?? Fûcking sick of looking at him on telly.

Does Hollywood not know there are other actors besides him?? Fûcking sick of looking at him on telly.

Currently the highest earning actor in Hollywood. Makes the studio $7.25 for every $1 they pay him.

He's bank. That's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Aparently not. I see he has been cast in the remake of Big Trouble in Little China now, this reboot nonsense is just getting out of hand. I mean nobody told me Kurt Russell had died? :confused:

If they had to reboot that movie I could accept it if they did it as a TV series or somethin, by casting 'The Rock' it just shows how completely those behind the reboot don't understand the original or it's appeal in exactly the same manner as the studio heads that first released it didn't. They kept complaining that Jack Burton wasn't 'heroic enough' and a total buffoon, when the whole point of the character was that he was the comic sidekick who thought he was the hero (which was actually Wang Chi). The obvious choice for a reboot (too obvious probably) would be somebody like Chris Pratt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I refuse to spend money to watch a rock movie in the cinema

ricero wrote:
    I refuse to spend money to watch a rock movie in the cinema

Well I'm glad you deemed it necessary to pop into a thread for a Rock movie to tell us all that. Good for you.

OU812 wrote: »
    Currently the highest earning actor in Hollywood. Makes the studio $7.25 for every $1 they pay him.

He's bank. That's why.

Couldn't care what he's on. He's boring as hell. He's in everything now and it's just boring. I won't be paying to see it anyway.

Couldn't care what he's on. He's boring as hell. He's in everything now and it's just boring. I won't be paying to see it anyway.

Oooooohhhhh... edgy!

OU812 wrote: »
    Oooooohhhhh... edgy!

It like the time when Adam sanfler films were popping up all the time and just got annoyed with it aswell. Mixed it up. God knows there's enough idiots in Hollywood to play the parts.

• Advertisement

Here's a shocker. People like different things.

He's popular right now, he's being cast in everything because he's popular.

And he's not just popular with the public, the media love him too. He gives great interviews.

When the studios hire him, they get him 100%. He's never not promoting himself and their product.

His star will fade but that's about five years off unless he's caught doing something he shouldn't be doing. Then the next guy will be along..

Advertisement