Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU roaming rates?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

JaCrispy wrote: »
    If you cannot use the 15euro free credit to buy another month for free then what can you spend the 15euro on?

Texts
    Calls in excess of 300 minutes
    Calls not covered under 300 minutes (1850,1890,0818,1580,etc.)
    Calls, texts, data outside your 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Ah I see. Fairly crap then. Lycamobile will allow you to use your 15euro credit to buy another plan....doesn't have to be spent on add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Orange in Poland have announced their roaming rates for June. Contract subscribers seem to get a great deal here with using your allowance anywhere in the EU. PAYG though seems to be same as before a complete rip off. I'm glad ive kept alive my Vodafone PAYG.

But saying that clicking Oranges link on their homepage takes you to a page selling all in one products (Orange love). So finding the small print is very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Good to know they didn't manage to get away with it.

Having said that if I was still a Three customer I wouldn't get carried away. Knowing their usual practices I am sure they'll fine other means to get what they want. What I already see comming is them heavily throttling data speeds while roaming, which is probably not against the regulation and is sure to reduce the average data roaming usage (when the network is slower people tend to do less things and to feel less inclined to use their phone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bob24 wrote: »
    Good to know they didn't manage to get away with it.

Having said that if I was still a Three customer I wouldn't get carried away. Knowing their usual practices I am sure they'll fine other means to get what they want. What I already see comming is them heavily throttling data speeds while roaming, which is probably not against the regulation and is sure to reduce the average data roaming usage (when the network is slower people tend to do less things and to feel less inclined to use their phone).

Its great to see THREE backing down over this as Meteor/Eir are holding tough and observing alongwith tesco et al.
    I don't see how three will have any control over speeds plus they can't be any slower abroad than on their own home network.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Its great to see THREE backing down over this as Meteor/Eir are holding tough and observing alongwith tesco et al.
    I don't see how three will have any control over speeds plus they can't be any slower abroad than on their own home network.

Their network can definitely diferentiate a user which is in Ireland from one which is elsewhere and apply speed restrictions for the second category (don't forget that when you are roaming all your data traffic is routed back to your home network before reaching the internet rather than being routed directly to the internet by the guest network). Very simple to implement and others have done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Their network can definitely diferentiate a user which is in Ireland from one which is elsewhere and apply speed restrictions for the second category (don't forget that when you are roaming all your data traffic is routed back to your home network before reaching the internet rather than being routed directly to the internet by the guest network). Very simple to implement and others have done it before.

I've actually experience this when I used to be with 3.
    I used their "three like home" roaming in Sweden and Denmark in the past and was using their 3G network, I'd have basically full signal, but you'd be able to tell that your data speeds are being limited. Used to only be limited to very basic 1-2mb speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Lyca mobile new rates https://t.co/Efsgkp1EqN

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

jimmynokia wrote:
    Lyca mobile new rates

Surely those rates are in breach of the new regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭dubrov

Surely those rates are in breach of the new regulations?

They are trying to argue that the same rates apply at home as abroad.

However, there is clearly a difference when bundles don't apply abroad so they are in breach.

ComReg seem to be doing their best to ignore this issue

I hear there is one way for the mvnos to get around this, If they do not offer roaming they are not subject to fines..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

dubrov wrote:
    However, there is clearly a difference when bundles don't apply abroad so they are in breach.

So 29c a minute is their out of bundle charge , but on their 15 euro top up you get unlimited national calls and they are saying people can't use those calls abroad ? That's definitely not roam like home, they won't get away with that

Lyca have made their deals worse by not being able to use bundle abroad

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I hear there is one way for the mvnos to get around this, If they do not offer roaming they are not subject to fines..

Correct (and not specific to MVNOs).

But it doesn't seem to be what Lyca is doing here. They are saying data roaming is offered, but bundle allowances cannot be used. To be allowed not to let customers make use of their bundle allowance while roaming in the EU, they would have to disable roaming altogether for those customers (i.e. do away with that 9c/MB option listed on the webpage).

If I understand their new pricing correctly they seem to be in breach with the regulation.

True. Not for specific to an MVNO but across the board but the MVNO's playing this card. And yes they are breaching guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont lyca change your number to the local network while roaming? Then it could be claimed you arent roaming at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

ED E wrote: »
    Dont lyca change your number to the local network while roaming? Then it could be claimed you arent roaming at all.

I think you've hit the nail on the head , It could be there way of getting round it , A foolish way to get rid of customers id expect a big exodus of their customer base as there a sim free network, people can just leave whenever they want ,

• Advertisement

So basically as long as they have a plan which fits your needs in terms of base data allowance, the best friend of roamers is Vodafone as it is the only one which lets your use your whole allowance while roaming.

True except most vf users will still have less than meteors allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

From Virgin Mobile (I have the TV, they are trying to sell me the mobile).

That's unlimited 4G data, unlimited calls, and unlimited texts all for €5 a month for 5 months. €25 a month thereafter on a 30 day contract. What's more from 1st June you will be able to use your unlimited calls, texts and 5.5GB of your data allowance while travelling in the EU at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Can someone please confirm that all packages (Contract or PAYG) should include the bundles in EU roaming?

Example if you get free sms, calls and data then you should at least get a percentage of those bundles.

My provider (Orange) in Poland have confirmed that PAYG customers will not be able to use their bundles in the EU whilst roaming.

I thought that this agreement covered both PAYG/Contract?

snaps wrote: »
    Can someone please confirm that all packages (Contract or PAYG) should include the bundles in EU roaming?

Example if you get free sms, calls and data then you should at least get a percentage of those bundles.

My provider (Orange) in Poland have confirmed that PAYG customers will not be able to use their bundles in the EU whilst roaming.

I thought that this agreement covered both PAYG/Contract?

What proportion of your home bundle they have to let you use for free will depend on how much your plan costs and how the tariff structure. But if they are planning to give you nothing at all they are most likely in breach of the regulation as I don't think there is any case on which they are allowed to do that.

Btw good news for Vodafone prepaid customers. I have been using roaming a good bit in France and Switzerland over the past couple of days, and in spite of them still send gin text messages to inform me of a roaming rate, no credit whatsoever has been taken from my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

I'm on meteor SIM only 30GB and unlimited calls & texts.

7.4GB roaming.

I've s similar plan on 3 for my business phone which only offers 2GB.

I'll be porting the second line tomorrow

Adios Three! Didn't like you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I'm on meteor SIM only 30GB and unlimited calls & texts.

7.4GB roaming.

I've s similar plan on 3 for my business phone which only offers 2GB.

I'll be porting the second line tomorrow

Adios Three! Didn't like you anyway.

2GB was the old offering. They are updating this so you should get equal data as with meteor. To repeat / that 2gb is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Well they managed to charge me over €100 for domestic data this month erroneously. So they can get stuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Btw good news for Vodafone prepaid customers. I have been using roaming a good bit in France and Switzerland over the past couple of days, and in spite of them still send gin text messages to inform me of a roaming rate, no credit whatsoever has been taken from my account.

Yep, it's been like that since May last year!

Advertisement