Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU roaming rates?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Really annoyed by this change from 48. Can anyone explain to me the possible reason to offer roaming purely on their cheapest membership? Hoping that people will switch to it mid month of going abroad, thus gaining them €10 extra month? Naive if so.

I'm currently on their Don package but going to switch now after this announcement. Anyone able to suggest anywhere I can get a deal that competes with this for €20 month?

1,000 mobile mins to any mobile network
    All texts* to any mobile network
    8 GB internet
    Unlimited messaging on WhatsApp
    +60 landline minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Data roaming is more expensive to them than local data service and the cheap plan is the only one for which the regulation allows them to keep data roaming costs more or less under control (since the plan only offers 1GB of data at home they don't have to offer than 1GB abroad). On the 20 euros plan they would have to offer at least 4GB of free data roaming is offered, which they probably thought could potentially cost them too much so they decided to disable roaming altogether.

For reference, the maximum cost to the network for data roaming is 7.7 euros per GB. So if a customer uses the 1GB allowance on they 10 euros plans the cost to them is more or less the monthly subscription of 10 euros minus VAT.
    However with the plan you are on, potentially you could cost them 4 * 7.7 = 28.8 euros per month in data roaming. Which is more than the 20 euros minus VAT you are paying to them. That's probably the rational for not allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Have Lycamobile come out with any announcement yet? Cannot seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

khamilto wrote: »
    They're offering no roaming whatsoever on their other plans.

Either 48 changes their mind, or Comreg (with the Commission planting a foot firmly up their behind) takes regulatory action.

I'm glad the Commission has been so public on national operators not trying to get around the new Roaming rules, as Comreg have shown themselves to be utterly disinterested at tackling bad behaviour by mobile phone networks in Ireland.

Both these links now gone.. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Both these links now gone.. Hmmm...

Nah they exist - the urls didn't paste in to the post correctly.

https://community.48months.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/Going-away-Using-48-when-roaming/m-p/44774#M229

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057712052/3 see post 43. Tesco indicating a roam like home for both types of subscriber

I don't see that going well for 48 TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

This is insane. So basically it's really going to heat up now. ID mobile especially. how can you say 3.3GB of roaming data but 20GB of data when in ROI. The thee argument is they offer a promotion in Ireland so perhaps they can circumvent this.

But Id mobile must surely be blatantly going down the wrong road here.

I must say though, I can understand why many networks want to do this, allowing someone to use 30gb of data abroad at 7.70 wholesale rate is mad.

I really cannot wait to see what happens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

flexcon wrote: »
    This is insane. So basically it's really going to heat up now. ID mobile especially. how can you say 3.3GB of roaming data but 20GB of data when in ROI. The thee argument is they offer a promotion in Ireland so perhaps they can circumvent this.

But Id mobile must surely be blatantly going down the wrong road here.

I must say though, I can understand why many networks want to do this, allowing someone to use 30gb of data abroad at 7.70 wholesale rate is mad.

I really cannot wait to see what happens here.

Why not.
    They are allowed to do it, by EU legislation.

CiniO wrote: »
    Why not.
    They are allowed to do it, by EU legislation.

Where is that calculated? If it is true then it needs more clarification.

I am aware out of bundle rates, but ID mobile are blatantly saying 30Gb of data in ROI and 3.3GB roaming. As far from my reading that isn't allowed. If I am shown somewhere it says it is - that is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Where is that calculated? If it is true then it needs more clarification.

I am aware out of bundle rates, but ID mobile are blatantly saying 30Gb of data in ROI and 3.3GB roaming. As far from my reading that isn't allowed. If I am shown somewhere it says it is - that is different.

That's all explained in FAQ on EU website.

Here's a quotation:
    If your operator has not explicitly informed you of a roaming data limit, you can benefit while abroad from the full amount of data under your domestic contract.

The operator is only entitled to apply a roam like at home data limit in 2017 in case you pay less than ?3.85/GB of data used (in 2018 less than ?3/GB, in 2019 less than ?2.25/GB). The actual limit depends on the monthly amount you pay for your mobile contract. The limit is calculated as in question 19.

Example 1: At home you have a mobile bundle including unlimited calls, SMS and 3 GB of data for ?30 (?25 excluding 20% VAT). In this case, ?25 / 3GB = ?8.3/GB. When travelling in the EU, you get roam like at home with unlimited calls and SMS, and 3 GB of data, exactly like at home.

Example 2: At home you have a mobile bundle including unlimited calls, SMS and 10 GB of data for ?30 (?25 excluding 20% VAT). The calculation is ?25 / 10GB=?2.5/ GB. When travelling in the EU, you get RLAH with unlimited calls and SMS, and at least 6.5 GB of data (2*(25/7.7) =6.5). If the operator wishes to apply such a data limit while roaming, they must clearly inform you of the volume available and whenever you have consumed that volume while abroad.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/content/frequently-asked-questions-roam-home

CiniO wrote: »
    That's all explained in FAQ on EU website.

Yes people should check the actual regulations before accusing mobile networks of not following them.

Having said that and while I understand the rational behind it, that particular rule might not be the smartest think the EU came up with. Because the EU has heavily communicated on roaming fess are going away (giving the impression to many that any allowance at home will work in another EU country), and since that exception isn't completely straight forward and hasn't been explained much, there will definitely be a lot of confused customers across the EU which won't be clear on what their data allowance is at home and abroad.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes people should check the actual regulations before accusing mobile networks of not following them.

Having said that and while I understand the rational behind it, that particular rule might not be the smartest think the EU came up with. Because the EU has heavily communicated on roaming fess are going away (giving the impression to many that any allowance at home will work in another EU country), and since that exception isn't completely straight forward and hasn't been explained much, there will definitely be a lot of confused customers across the EU which won't be clear on what their data allowance is at home and abroad.

To be fair, it is the likes of you that need to set the likes of me straight. I am simply going on what the main media is suggesting and my own reading of the site. I actually read that whole page twice, and in all honesty it still wasn't that straight forward got understand. Having read it again now I see the logicalness with this and in my opinion - It does make more sense.

At least now I can see the EU law does allow for them to do what they are doing. It really wasn't portrayed that way - even with the EU commission referring to this in a press release by networks not following.

So thanks to you guys for quoting the needed section.

PS: I also think that should be sticked and used in response to the many threads created in the individual mobile forums about the roaming kicking in.

Yes definitely agree communication has been poor on the EC's part.

Basically the commissioner just wanted a nice positive story to look good and just said "the EU is making roaming charges go away" (which was indeed the message relayed by most mainstream media).

While at the end of the day the change is still an overall positive one for customers, they should have explained it is a bit more complicated that they. I'm sure there will be people going full steam on EU roaming after the 15th of June because they saw on RTÉ or read in the IT that it is new free, and will end-up angrily callling their provider for an explainstion about that 150 euros roaming bill they will have received.

Just got a text from Vodafone. Fair play to them, there is no messing with their offer and the way it's message: everyone can use their whole allowance and they say that clearly.

Happy days with Vodafone X giving 20gb of data for weekdays and unlimited weekends across Europe for 20 euros every 4 weeks!

"Travelling to Europe? From 15 June 2017 you can use your full allowance of calls, texts and data while roaming in Europe at no extra cost. So, you can touch base with home, discover things to do, and share those experiences without any worries. For more information as well as to see the European countries in which you can roam at no extra cost simply visit www.vodafone.ie/roaming Opt out call 1800200234"

Just got a text from Vodafone. Fair play to them, there is no messing with their offer and the way it's message: everyone can use their whole allowance and they say that clearly.

Happy days with Vodafone X giving 20gb of data for weekdays and unlimited weekends across Europe for 20 euros every 4 weeks!

"Travelling to Europe? From 15 June 2017 you can use your full allowance of calls, texts and data while roaming in Europe at no extra cost. So, you can touch base with home, discover things to do, and share those experiences without any worries. For more information as well as to see the European countries in which you can roam at no extra cost simply visit www.vodafone.ie/roaming Opt out call 1800200234"

If I wasn't in contract with Meteor I'd be over on that like a house on fire. For access to the vodafone network and the amount of traveling I do, I wish I never left them. By far the greatest network across most of Europe - except for Germany.

If I wasn't in contract with Meteor I'd be over on that like a house on fire. For access to the vodafone network and the amount of traveling I do, I wish I never left them. By far the greatest network across most of Europe - except for Germany.

Watch for Meteor's new roaming announcement. Depending on what they do it could offer a window to terminate your contract early ;-) (for exemple if I am not mistaken Three made some changes as part of their roaming chances which allowed people to terminate contracts).

Except most plans with vodafone have tiny data limits compared to others e.g. prepay free calls and texts and 1Gb data whereas meteor for same money is 15Gb. So even if meteor offer 20% of that limit, its still far more than Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Here in Poland there is no announcement of any new roaming tarrifs from the main suppliers.

This is the problem, its going to be tough for them to allow you to use the allowance abroad or even a percentage abroad like the more expensive western European networks can.

I'm glad i kept my vodafone alive every 6 months with a 5e top up.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Except most plans with vodafone have tiny data limits compared to others e.g. prepay free calls and texts and 1Gb data whereas meteor for same money is 15Gb. So even if meteor offer 20% of that limit, its still far more than Vodafone.

Still good for those of us who have a nice deal with Vodafone ;-) And in any case better clarity for customers.

• Advertisement

The company I worked for a while back - we had Three UK in to speak to us about plans etc, this was 2 years ago.

They said on Three UK the average user uses 3.4GB of data on their all you can eat data plans.

So in essence she was suggesting that on average we use way less, anyone using above 10Gb per month is in the top 4% of their network and over 30GB is 1%\

Bear in mind that as 2014 and the UK but we wouldn't be far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ok, So I have just recently kept my VF PAYG active using a 5e top up. If I activate the 5gb add on using 15e of my balance will that still work abroad?

Or

Is it only top up deals like the 20e top up for 5gb and unlimited VF texts and calls that work abroad?

Jsut reading this here from an article. Interesting the end part - exceptional cases where unlimited Data is offered or competitive ....

So earlier we discussed the DATA element and the math used to calculate this. Their statement here seems at odds with this.

There is no loophole by which part of the domestic data allowance could be regarded as gift or side benefit, and would, therefore, not count when travelling abroad,” the commission said.

“Doing so would appear like a clear case of circumvention, for which there is no basis in the roaming regulation. Thus, under the new rules, operators will not be allowed to offer only half a roaming experience to clients.”

It said the new EU rules “clearly cover data services, along with voice and SMS”.

“From 15 June on, every existing or new contract that includes roaming services will become a ‘roam like at home’ contract by default. There is no exemption for the data services, only exceptional limits in case of unlimited or very competitive offers,” the statement read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Watch for Meteor's new roaming announcement. Depending on what they do it could offer a window to terminate your contract early ;-) (for exemple if I am not mistaken Three made some changes as part of their roaming chances which allowed people to terminate contracts).

No matter what they offer there will changes meaning you can leave but meteor will ask for handset back they are know for it,They have changed Pre-Pay plans already
    http://support.meteor.ie/article/2885

Mr.S wrote: »
    Where do you see that plan for 7e50 a month? The cheapest I can see is PAYG 15 a month for

30GB 4G data.
    300 any network minutes.
    Unlimited iD to iD calls and texts.

You get 15euro credit back each time you top up 15euro.
    So top up 15euro one month and use 15euro free credit the next month. 15euro for 2 months = 7.50 a month.

Same offer as Lycamobile.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/ article about roaming as it stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

JaCrispy wrote: »
    You get 15euro credit back each time you top up 15euro.
    So top up 15euro one month and use 15euro free credit the next month. 15euro for 2 months = 7.50 a month.

Same offer as Lycamobile.

You have to top-up with ?15 in order to activate the plan benefits.
    At the end of your 30 days, if you don't top up again, you'll be charged out of bundle rates.

PAKNET wrote: »
    At the end of your 30 days, if you don't top up again, you'll be charged out of bundle rates.
    That's when you use your 15euro credit to buy a plan for another month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

JaCrispy wrote: »
    That's when you use your 15euro credit to buy a plan for another month.

But I don't believe you buy a "plan" as such.
    You get, say, 300 minutes, 30GB of data and ?15 credit by topping up ?15.
    It is the top up that gives you the allowances.

Once your 30 days are up, you are left with your ?15 credit but your 300 minutes + 30GB of data allowance is now gone.
    You can't "buy" the allowances for another month - you have to top up.

• Advertisement

PAKNET wrote: »
    But I don't believe you buy a "plan" as such.
    You get, say, 300 minutes, 30GB of data and ?15 credit by topping up ?15.
    It is the top up that gives you the allowances.

Once your 30 days are up, you are left with your ?15 credit but your 300 minutes + 30GB of data allowance is now gone.
    You can't "buy" the allowances for another month - you have to top up.

If you cannot use the 15euro free credit to buy another month for free then what can you spend the 15euro on?

Advertisement