Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mr E wrote: »
    Surprisingly well done. Great job, RTE!

Stick that on at Friday at 9:30 and it would be FAR more entertaining than the gangly dude.

How many episodes is there, 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I'd like a bit of the Maitre D guy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I never get why people always say that about the crazies.

Probably cause it's true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Thought this was brilliant. Frederica was a nut case. Was heartbroken for Amy. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Proper awkward cringe with some lunatics. Love it!

SUPER!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Not as bad as I feared. The South African girl looked like a plant, producers just telling her to turn it up to 11. The "super" guy was obviously gay or bi, he spoke about a previous relationship as the the first "person" he fell in love with and avoiding the gender specific pronoun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Not as bad as I feared. The South African girl looked like a plant, producers just telling her to turn it up to 11. The "super" guy was obviously gay or bi, he spoke about a previous relationship as the the first "person" he fell in love with and avoiding the gender specific pronoun.

I think you might be right about the Saffa. They seem to be using her a lot in promotion for the show too. Also they're bringing her back for a date which isn't really fair, on the British one they usually only bring back the really sweet ones or if they're a bit nuts they've got a good heart behind it. She was just 100% awful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Credit where credit is due, I feared the worst but it was really really good. Like others mentioned, the UK one has gotten a bit too much about the maître de, Fred, and the at first charming waiting staff, but now really annoying. Irish one had the right balance.

Federica was annoying though and not looking forward to seeing her again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The "super" guy was obviously gay or bi, he spoke about a previous relationship as the the first "person" he fell in love with and avoiding the gender specific pronoun.

He started that sentence with the words "When my girlfriend broke up with me".

I felt sorry for the girl from Liverpool, I think I'll feel even more sorry for her next week based on the preview and that twat she's been landed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

smash wrote: »
    He started that sentence with the words "When my girlfriend broke up with me".

I felt sorry for the girl from Liverpool, I think I'll feel even more sorry for her next week based on the preview and that twat she's been landed with.

I didn't feel sorry for her after her "you know me, I'll go out and get 10 numbers" comment. If that's the case then why bother going on a dating show?
    Anyway I may be slightly biased by my irrational hatred of all things scouse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

smash wrote: »

It looks like they've already gone down the route of trying to make entertaining television by putting people like this lad who has no interest in relationships on the show. Based on the preview anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It looks like they've already gone down the route of trying to make entertaining television by putting people like this lad who has no interest in relationships on the show. Based on the preview anyway.

Maybe they have a "crazy" quota, 1 a week. Federica this week, yer man next. I much prefer the genuine folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Maybe they have a "crazy" quota, 1 a week. Federica this week, yer man next. I much prefer the genuine folk.

People love people-watching. It's entertaining watching normal people and more so than the oddballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Not sure if she was even a genuine oddball. As others said she seemed like a plant. The whole sanitizer thing seemed staged.

Not sure if she was even a genuine oddball. As others said she seemed like a plant. The whole sanitizer thing seemed staged.
    And they're bringing her back again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

100% a plant. I have a feeling there will be many of these. Its what eventually ruins these shows. It will be watchable for a while but Irish tv cant get away with cringiness as much as UK tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

Wouldn't normally be my type of TV and have not watched an episode of the UK version. I did enjoy this though.

I particularly enjoyed the lad that went on a date with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

There was someone on the UK version of First Date recently who whipped out a bottle of hand sanitizer. However she did speak for a bit about having OCD so she seemed like she was genuine, not just doing it for the tv.

That South African girl shouldn't be let get any more air time, she was barmey! I felt so sorry for the Donegal lad, I don't know how he didn't walk out on the date, he must have the patience of a saint. I think it should be him who gets a shot at having another date, he deserves it, if not he should get his money back from the producers for the meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I actually preffered last night's to the British version. There are too many try-hards on the C4 version putting on an act. Too many Couple Number 1's from last night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

s.welstead wrote: »
    I didn't feel sorry for her after her "you know me, I'll go out and get 10 numbers" comment. If that's the case then why bother going on a dating show?
    Anyway I may be slightly biased by my irrational hatred of all things scouse!

You leave her alone - she was pretty damn hot and that accent is worth an extra 2 points any day!

PS: Come on the pool:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

You leave her alone - she was pretty damn hot and that accent is worth an extra 2 points any day!

PS: Come on the pool:D

An extra two points off

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Have a look at the film Fatal Attraction.

PS that James guy and his personality is "super real"!! I have spoken to someone who knows him! Chill and super are his favourite words!!

He is like an IT working, cartoon loving version of Jedward!!

Super, indeed...................

I also know someone who knows your man Dareyl (the GAA player). He is meant to be serious craic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Well I totally enjoyed that!! My fav couple were the 2 lads - they seemed a perfect match for each other.

Jesus, Federica though ... That poor Donegal man. She'd have eaten him alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Well I totally enjoyed that!! My fav couple were the 2 lads - they seemed a perfect match for each other.

Jesus, Federica though ... That poor Donegal man. She'd have eaten him alive!
    You say it like it's a bad thing :p

Frederica is getting some grief here, she was eccentric but she's no where near as bad as some of the pyshcos I've come across in my time...

armaghlad wrote: »
    You say it like it's a bad thing :p

Frederica is getting some grief here, she was eccentric but she's no where near as bad as some of the pyshcos I've come across in my time...

more a plant/ actress than eccentric like half the UK ones. In the UK one, they source extras for the roles of the background diners and the waitresses. The maitre dee in the UK one is an actor also.

The most enjoyable, dates are the ones involving the real people in my opinion or ones who are doing it to gain a bit of publicity (models etc). I guess its like watching a comedian who is able to perform/do an interview ad lib rather than one who just completely goes by script and gives the interviewer prepared setup questions.

more a plant/ actress than eccentric like half the UK ones. In the UK one, they source extras for the roles of the background diners and the waitresses. The maitre dee in the UK one is an actor also.

The most enjoyable, dates are the ones involving the real people in my opinion or ones who are doing it to gain a bit of publicity (models etc). I guess its like watching a comedian who is able to perform/do an interview ad lib rather than one who just completely goes by script and gives the interviewer prepared setup questions.

The one thing that annoyed me about the Irish version is that they brought in the same style of maitre dee... The foreigner with the 'sexy' accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

PS that James guy and his personality is "super real"!! I have spoken to someone who knows him! Chill and super are his favourite words!!

He is like an IT working, cartoon loving version of Jedward!!

Super, indeed...................

I also know someone who knows your man Dareyl (the GAA player). He is meant to be serious craic

Serious craic what is that

bigpink wrote: »
    Serious craic what is that

slang for a good wing back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Just watched it there, I wonder how many episodes are there? Much better than I thought. Loved the Donegal buck and how he give it right back to her, and then not speaking to her in the lift 😊

Advertisement