Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boards Layout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

there's an open thread in the feedback forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Sure even when people said they didn't like it initially, they ignored us and carried on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's worse than murder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

smash wrote: »
    Are comments disabled in that thread?

It's pre-moderated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

diyeys wrote: »
    Apparently if you have never visited the thread, clicking on the title will take you to the first post, other than that it will take you to the first unread post.

It's going straight to the first post in threads i've visited. Hopefully it will be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gonna take a bit of getting used too. But what the funk with all the ads, have not seen ads in years anytime I have logged in.

The boards header also seems to be out of shape/line with the rest of icons. Am sure things like that will be hopfully fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Well they ever learn?

All

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No no no no, no thank you. Put it back the way it was!!

Nothing like removing me from my comfort zone to show me just how conservative and resistant to change I can be :pac::p

Seems it just changed for a short time, when is it being rolled out for good?

I saw that in Cooking and recipes a little while ago. For the life of me I couldnt figure out how to respond to the thread.

I've only just gotten used to the theme from the last major change. I really hope this isn't a compulsory change. It looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Spear wrote: »
    It's pre-moderated.

Morto for yiz. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Right, gonna enjoy the next few months but after that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think even the current layout is a lot less functional than the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Who needs visual cues? amirite?

Traffic is obviously waaay down since the cloud flare thing, and forcing this mess on people is going to be another nail in the traffic coffin.

Why go ahead with something so despised, with something your users don't want? I personally hate it.

Reddit is starting to look better and better. It would be wise to keep this old version as an option for the sake of keeping users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I must be getting 'legacy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Am I the only one who likes it? But you do need adblock because the new layout is pretty much unstable without adblock because of the flashy ads

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Who needs visual cues? amirite?

I have a mobile over me bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Candie wrote: »
    Traffic is obviously waaay down since the cloud flare thing, and forcing this mess on people is going to be another nail in the traffic coffin.

Why go ahead with something so despised, with something your users don't want? I personally hate it.

Reddit is starting to look better and better. It would be wise to keep this old version as an option for the sake of keeping users.

Its genuinely shocking. I find it completely unusable with a crap load of wasted space. The fact someone thinks this is ready for rollout is a piss take

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Boards wants to pull a Digg and force a design most don't want. This new one just doesn't look right at all, it looks one of those obscure forums you find when you're Googling a technical problem and come across a question from 2008.

I've never heard of people complain about a layout until it came around that Boards wanted to put a new one on.

Its genuinely shocking. I find it completely unusable with a crap load of wasted space. The fact someone thinks this is ready for rollout is a piss take

It looks like a page from a 3rd class workbook. Did nobody think to ask users before they committed to it, or did I just miss that and are most people in favour? It's so counter intuitive to use too.

When they look back on the causes of the inevitable decline of the popularity of the site, this is going to be the point of no return.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

One positive I will give it is that it is an improvement on the previous version of the beta, so there is that.

I still hate it though. Genuinely can see myself using boards less if this is the only option.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Am I the only one who likes it? But you do need adblock because the new layout is pretty much unstable without adblock because of the flashy ads

It was said before that if you admit to using an adblocker on the site you'll be banned because you're taking the food from the childers mouths.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I reckon after using it for a few hours, you'll get used to it and forget the old one.

People will migrate to Reddit and just get used to that layout instead. They if they switch back, those accounts are going to be closed and the users will be established Reddit users.

It's such a bad business decision I can't understand the push, unless they actually want the site to contract (and probably die). Such a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

People will migrate to Reddit and just get used to that layout instead.

Never. While there's good content there, it's generally a circle jerk of a popularity contest.

Dissenting voices get downvoted to oblivion while the backslappers give reach arounds. It's not a place for any sort of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's absolutely horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Boards works because it has a Forum look and feel that draws a community that does not want to communicate over the horrific format that the Beta brings.

Its God awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I like Reddit but it's a terrible platform for discussion, pretty non-existent actually as the top post is the one that ends up dictating the rest of the thread and it's very easy to silence people with opposing views.

Getting RES (Reddit Enhancement Suite) makes a huge difference too.

Easy extension for any browser that adds a lot to the experience.

I find myself over there a lot more these days, but I would still like the actual forum/boards feel that this site offers. The Beta is definitely a step away from that.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I like Reddit but it's a terrible platform for discussion, pretty non-existent actually as the top post is the one that ends up dictating the rest of the thread and it's very easy to silence people with opposing views.

I don't really agree. Plus, when threads get populated here with posts, and go beyond page 2, most people just scroll through, stopping to read the posts with the most thanks.

Discussion happens at about a similar level, once you actually get used to the Reddit format, I found.

They are short burst discussions though, which is the issue, and it lacks the same community feel. Whereas here you have threads lasting for years, potentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

No "Most Thanks" tab :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement