Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ from all the talk here, the Dubs fans would be livid if not only Mayo win this year after their average campaign but they lose to a Kerry side in the semi final after dominating the first 60 minutes!

Sorry Jackeens, its the perfect scenario for so many!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sorry Jackeens, its the perfect scenario for so many!!!

How could Mayo winning an all Ireland be an average campaign for them? They've beaten Tyrone, Dublin have beaten Donegal, kerry will admit to have beaten little this year .

Everyone left has had an average run. This is one of those years that a county in Mayo's position can pick up a handy one.
    Last year they would have had to beat Donegal, Dublin and Kerry to win it.

[QUOTE=Stoner;100795931]How could Mayo winning an all Ireland be an average campaign for them? They've beaten Tyrone, Dublin have beaten Donegal, kerry will admit to have beaten little this year .

Everyone left has had an average run. This is one of those years that a county in Mayo's position can pick up a handy one.
    Last year they would have had to beat Donegal, Dublin and Kerry to win it.[/QUOTE]

I was speaking about thus far obviously, in terms of performances. It's been the cliche word all Summer where Mayo is concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

mickeyk wrote: »
    Dublin fans seem to be absolutely cock sure of a comprehensive victory.

Well that's simply not true. For every Dub on here saying we will win easily you will find the same amount, if not more, very nervous about this game.

It's a real cliche to throw that one out. *sorry about the cliche about cliche's lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Menoetius wrote: »
    mickeyk wrote: »
    Dublin fans seem to be absolutely cock sure of a comprehensive victory.

Well that's simply not true. For every Dub on here saying we will win easily you will find the same amount, if not more, very nervous about this game.

It's a real cliche to throw that one out. *sorry about the cliche about cliche's lads :)
    Fair enough, was reading through the Dublin thread and there seemed to be a lot of very confident folk there, talking of the hammering they'll give Kerry etc. I'm on another forum also, and it's way worse there. Maybe these guys are the most vocal. Sorry about the cliche :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

martyos121 wrote: »
    Did we play Dublin those years? No? So your point is 100% irrelevant, that's triple digits irrelevant just to be clear.

I never mentioned ye played Dublin then just ye get beat just like in those years if ye got Dublin.

Not that hard.

Those years do matter cuase mentally Mayo are weak and will remember the pain of getting beat and all that hurt, it keeps continuing from team to team

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I never mentioned ye played Dublin then just ye get beat just like in those years if ye got Dublin.

Not that hard.

Those years do matter cuase mentally Mayo are weak and will remember the pain of getting beat and all that hurt, it keeps continuing from team to team

There is a certain amount of validity to your point,this final will be a true test as to whither Mayo are psychologically strong enough to take the final test..That is not withstanding Dublin appear to be that bit superior to everybody at the moment,so mental fragility will not enter the reckoning if as in past finals we are beaten by a visibly superior team.

We look that bit more secure at the back this year with the sweeper system and playing Barry Moran as a de facto full back but I've believed that our sometimes catastrophic ability to concede game changing goals has been a fragility of mind/a fear of winning.

Games that come to mind.. Donegal 2012,Dublin 2013,all four semi finals 2014 and 2015.I hope the lads will bury these demons because I firmly believe they can take down either team if they play to their full potential on a final day and believe in themselves.

seligehgit wrote: »
    There is a certain amount of validity to your point,this final will be a true test as to whither Mayo are psychologically strong enough to take the final test..That is not withstanding Dublin appear to be that bit superior to everybody at the moment,so mental fragility will not enter the reckoning if as in past finals we are beaten by a visibly superior team.

We look that bit more secure at the back this year with the sweeper system and playing Barry Moran as a de facto full back but I've believed that our sometimes catastrophic ability to concede game changing goals has been a fragility of mind/a fear of winning.

Games that come to mind.. Donegal 2012,Dublin 2013,all four semi finals 2014 and 2015.I hope the lads will bury these demons because I firmly believe they can take down either team if they play to their full potential on a final day and believe in themselves.

I be only too happy to eat my words, I will be shouting for Mayo either way especially if its Kerry.

Love see ye do it. Christ yer fans deserve it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

To be honest, I think Mayo should just pull out of the championship right now instead of wasting everyone's time and money showing up in September

They should have started doing that years ago! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think mickeyk is looking at the wrong Dublin thread. We only discuss the merits of afternoon tea and coddle over yonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

LOL at Cluxton. And his next kickout immediately after the goal was another howler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

spillane is back to his annoying best , time to switch over to sky for the next 15 minutes

he is right though , once kerry dropped men back for the dublin attacks and pushed up on the kick outs dublin had no answer for them , the bell saved the dubs there a little

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fantastic game of football well done dublin great game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Terrific game. Cooper nails that chance he had and maybe Kerry possibly hold on, but was a long way to go at that point in fairness. Was wondering if the last Dublin turnover was a clear foul, would have to see the tackle again, but don't think Kerry had too many complaints otherwise. Just beaten by a fantastically managed and conditioned team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So Mayo v Dublin in the final. Can't see anything other than a win for the dubs. Mayo will try different tactics throughout the game but over nearly 80 mins, Dublin should be champions again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sticking this in here too. Mickey Hartes request for an extension to his contract beyond next summer has been turned down.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0906/814722-mickey_harte/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jayop wrote: »
    Sticking this in here too. Mickey Hartes request for an extension to his contract beyond next summer has been turned down.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0906/814722-mickey_harte/

This has nothing to do with the 2016 all Ireland final has it ? Not sure what relevance of putting it in here is .

spurshero wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the 2016 all Ireland final has it ? Not sure what relevance of putting it in here is .

ahem.... please read thread title before smart a$$ comment ; )

Nothing worse than people being pedantic for the sake of being smart!! Even if it was the AI final thread it wasn't overly irrelevant putting it in a thread where GAA is discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

ahem.... please read thread title before smart a$$ comment

Nothing worse than people being pedantic for the sake of being smart!! Even if it was the AI final thread it wasn't overly irrelevant putting it in a thread where GAA is discussed

Chill out was only offending opinion . I thought this was about the 2016 all Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I think its a wise decision by the Tyrone county board. There have been too many lean years in Tyrone given the decent talent available and Mickey's misguided loyalty to older players ahead of developing young talent after 2008. They want All Ireland's and the evidence over the last 7 years says that maybe Mickey is not the man to deliver them anymore. He definitely deserves next year after winning an Ulster but Arsene Wenger and FA cups spring to mind.

• Advertisement

If i had put it into the thread specifically for the final you'd have a cracking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

Chill out was only offending opinion . I thought this was about the 2016 all Ireland .

Yeah but the story is technically about the 2017 and 2018 all ireland ;)

If Mayo come out first they should go straight to the Hill again like a Decade ago;)

Menoetius wrote: »
    Yeah but the story is technically about the 2017 and 2018 all ireland ;)

Tis true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is a Tyrone thread.

And for some reason this story is also being posted in the All Star thread.

There is a Tyrone thread.

There is, and it's in there I seen it. Thought perhaps other's that wouldn't be from Tyrone or look in that thread might be interested.

Lesson learned.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

There is, and it's in there I seen it. Thought perhaps other's that wouldn't be from Tyrone or look in that thread might be interested.

Lesson learned.

There are but for some reason we seem to have a bunch of sensitive lads all over the threads these days, as ProudDub said we all have opinions but its looking like this forum doesn't allow it ;)

On Harte I was shocked first off, then I realised he was looking for a 2017-18 extension which I thought was a bit cocky. He has plenty to give and how the lad gets out of bed to do a tough tough job like that alone he gets a lot of credit from me for. Who else Tyrone have to replace him, Canavan is the only one who comes to mind.
    Could be a Meath/Boylan situation and that has worked out very well for Meath.

A year ago I'd have thought Canavan with Logan and the other u21 boys were a shoo in but that talk died down. I guess it'll be ramping up again soon.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A year ago I'd have thought Canavan with Logan and the other u21 boys were a shoo in but that talk died down. I guess it'll be ramping up again soon.

Well there is always drama in County boards, so God knows what is going on. Think it will be a mistake if they shoe him out, that said I still think he was wrong asking for an extension

• Advertisement

I'm torn. In 2014 I'd have welcomed the change but we've come on a fair bit since then.

Advertisement