Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord iDTEC DPF light on!

Options
  • 17-04-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

DPF Cleaning or Replacement ?

The dreaded DPF light (with !) can on my 2009 Honda Accord recently. The car has over 130K miles up so I wasn't too surprised. I decided to go down the DPF cleaning route rather than replacement, mostly due to the high cost charged by Honda (€1300-1500). I also bought Launch X431 OBD diag kit to monitor the cars ECU. Here is what I found, I hope it helps others in the same situation.

The DPF light (with !)comes on fully when 19g of particle matter (PM) is read by the ECU. The only way to turn it off at that point is with diags on the ECU. Driving in 3rd gear on the motorway is a waste of time.

The differential pressure in the DPF will go up the more the PM value rises. It is advisable to do something about it when the light comes on. A high pressure may damage the turbo and other upstream systems on the engine.

I firstly got Honda to do a forced regeneration. This is a diagnostic controlled regeneration on the DPF. Basically a DPF regeneration (Forced or natural) is like an incinerator. The Temp is driven up from normal, in my case about 250-380 to over 600 degrees. At this temp all PM is burned to ash. The car jets diesel into the DPF to cause this inferno.

The forced regen was a waste of money and time. The light was on again in 200 miles. It cost €80 and €140 to have my aircon regased as its needed for the forced regen. My advise don't bother with it.

I next took the DPF out and got is cut open and professional cleaned. It’s relatively easy to remove if you are mechanical. 3 bolts to turbo, 5 at bottom to exhaust. remove a few sensors (carefully), remove covers. The DPF light came on again after about 200 miles.

At this point I got Honda to recheck it. They said the PM was higher than 19g so they reset it back to 0 again. (They didn't do a forced regen, just reset the PM)

I had noticed that each time the DPF light came on it was during hard acceleration. I changed my driving habits until I received the Launch X431 OBD diagnostic kit in the post. With this I was able to see what was happening. I drove the car easy keeping the revs always below 2.5K. The PM value continued to rise until it hit 12.7g. At this point the DPF control status value changed from 0x00100001. The DPF temp (as read on the Launch kit) when to over 600 degrees and the PM started to drop off until the value went to 0 in steps of 0.3g. The DPF diff pressure was at 1.4kpa at tick over and at about 4-5Kpa at 100kph normal driving.

The regen took about 10 minutes and occurred during normal easy sixth gear driving.

Since then I have monitored the car do multiple regens and I drive normally now. No need to nurse revs anymore. With my driving style the car regens about every 900 miles.
    My adivse , if you choose to get the DPF cleaned rather than replaced, go for the industrial cleaning methods (€300 approx.) rather than the chemical foam (can of spray into DPF) methods. Service the car and replace all filters. I did an oil flush and used good quality 0w30 oil. Drive the car easy for the first 1000 miles until it starts its own regen cycle again.
    My car has over 3500 Miles up now since the DPF was cleaned, Driving perfect. DPF diff pressure normal (under 10kpa for normal driving , may jump up during hard acceleration.
    This is kind of an experiment to see if DPF cleaning works long term as claimed. I will update again at higher mileage.

A friend also had the same DPF issue with his 2008 Honda accord. Again Honda looking for €1500 for a replacement. Using diags he found that the temp sensor was not reading. He cleaned the connector, Cleaned the DPF, did a regen and this sorted it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hi just wondering how you have been getting on with this? My light came on this morning for first time since I got the car which is only 3 months ago so it's covered under warranty.

Rang up the dealer they told me to drive it on the motorway to see if that that gets rid and if not bring it in they will do a forced regeneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pmeade1

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering how you have been getting on with this? My light came on this morning for first time since I got the car which is only 3 months ago so it's covered under warranty.

Rang up the dealer they told me to drive it on the motorway to see if that that gets rid and if not bring it in they will do a forced regeneration.

Hi Jayo26
    If the dpf! is on then no length of motorway will sort it. You need to reset the PM . A forced regen will do this. I use launch dbscar to do it.didnt need to regen last time i reset the PM.
    I had to regen after about 10kmiles. I now have 19kmiles up since dpf cleaning.I had to reset.PM again recently. After reset need to drive easy for at least 900 miles as this is mileage needed for PM to reach 12.6g at which point the car will do a regen itself. Once i get it regen'ing itself it runs fine.
    I have a colleage who also has dpf issues with his accord. He eventually got a sensor replaced on the dpf. This seems to have sorted it for him. Honda main dealer just wanted to replace dpf at huge cost.
    Im not sure what is wrong with these cars as if this was a dpf blocked issue why would the car do 10k miles before bringing on the light .should it not come on soon after clearning the PM..

I brought mine out for a spin this morning but Yeh no joy it is the dpf! I have it booked in for Monday morning they going to regen it I'll see how it goes then. Its covered with them until next June so it's not a panick moment yet.

They tried to tell me it was doing a lot of short journeys that is causing it and Yeh we do alot of town driving we still have it out on roads at least twice a week I've done 6000 on it in 3 months so it's getting a good run.

Thanks for your response.

I brought mine out for a spin this morning but Yeh no joy it is the dpf! I have it booked in for Monday morning they going to regen it I'll see how it goes then. Its covered with them until next June so it's not a panick moment yet.

They tried to tell me it was doing a lot of short journeys that is causing it and Yeh we do alot of town driving we still have it out on roads at least twice a week I've done 6000 on it in 3 months so it's getting a good run.

Thanks for your response.

Short journeys they say causes more pm in the dpf also according to what Honda told me they expect the dpf to start failing as mileage approaches 100k.
    Regen will help but if its a case of a blocked dpf you may need replacement or cleaning. If it.was me and I had a warranty i would want a new dpf. If you go to a honda main dealer without a warranty as is my situation they will not standover a dpf clean and will look for upto 1500 to replace the dpf. If you get a chance post back how you get on with this one

Will do. Have you looked into getting the dpf removed how would it fair passing an nct?

• Advertisement

Will do. Have you looked into getting the dpf removed how would it fair passing an nct?

Would need to remap ecu. Nightmare if not done correctly. Bit risky. The car would actually be better off without it but EU emission laws dictate.
    I have been driving Honda for years and to be honest this DPF issue is putting me off them. It not the fact that they fail so much as Hondas costly replacement charge.
    Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Does the DPF regularly cause issues in the newer accord 2009 - 2012? Looking at a 2012 with relatively low milage... Thanks!

Pacifico wrote: »
    Does the DPF regularly cause issues in the newer accord 2009 - 2012? Looking at a 2012 with relatively low milage... Thanks!

Yehh it is a common problem but otherwise they seem to be bulletproof as long as they are looked after service wise.

Mine was covered under warranty thankfully but I will say it wouldn't put me off buying the car again it is an absolute joy to own in every other way I love driving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Thanks! And is it a case that it will happen when the car hits a certain millage or it depends on the type of driving? ie short journeys?

Hi

The DPF will usually fail over 100K on the Accord. Mine went at 130K miles.Regarding DPF and short journeys. Shout journeys will not help the DPF but long or short it will eventually fail.

I managed to get another 40K miles out of it after a cut and cleaning. I cleaned it again recently with a chemical but it failed after about 50 miles ( I have a computer to view the pressure levels and could see them rising until that dreaded light came on again). I have no choice now but to replace the DPF at a cost of approx 1200. I would not advise buying the ebay DPF's as quality may be questionable.

Note also these car have issues with the EGR pipe. Its a known issue on some 2009-2010 models. Look up Honda Accord EGR pipe fault!. Honda will replace upto 125K miles/7 years, after that is a cost of over 400. Nasty one as it leaks fumes into car.
    Other issue with the accord is rear brakes - they are crap and may end up replacing a brake cylinder.
    Over all the Car is reliable and nice car to drive but the emission systems (DPF , EGR) really leave it down.
    If I was buying another accord I would make sure of the mileage (do the checks as lots of clocked out there). If getting close to 100Kmiles I would consider the cost of DPF in the price. Also make sure the EGR is not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Panrich

pmeade1 wrote: »
    Hi

The DPF will usually fail over 100K on the Accord. Mine went at 130K miles.Regarding DPF and short journeys. Shout journeys will not help the DPF but long or short it will eventually fail.

I managed to get another 40K miles out of it after a cut and cleaning. I cleaned it again recently with a chemical but it failed after about 50 miles ( I have a computer to view the pressure levels and could see them rising until that dreaded light came on again). I have no choice now but to replace the DPF at a cost of approx 1200. I would not advise buying the ebay DPF's as quality may be questionable.

Note also these car have issues with the EGR pipe. Its a known issue on some 2009-2010 models. Look up Honda Accord EGR pipe fault!. Honda will replace upto 125K miles/7 years, after that is a cost of over 400. Nasty one as it leaks fumes into car.
    Other issue with the accord is rear brakes - they are crap and may end up replacing a brake cylinder.
    Over all the Car is reliable and nice car to drive but the emission systems (DPF , EGR) really leave it down.
    If I was buying another accord I would make sure of the mileage (do the checks as lots of clocked out there). If getting close to 100Kmiles I would consider the cost of DPF in the price. Also make sure the EGR is not an issue.

Would this problem also affect other Honda models like the crv or diesel civic? I have really only heard of the dpf problem in Accords.

Panrich wrote: »
    Would this problem also affect other Honda models like the crv or diesel civic? I have really only heard of the dpf problem in Accords.

Not sure about those models. More familiar with the idtec 2.2 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

O lord my light just came on too today, no power to the engine either, 09 accord

O lord my light just came on too today, no power to the engine either, 09 accord

Does it have the exclamation mark ?

Does it have the exclamation mark ?

Yip it's there, please tell me that's a good exclamation mark

It's bad just checked the manual, needs to go to the garage asap!!

It's bad just checked the manual, needs to go to the garage asap!!

Yeh pal it's the same one as I had has to be brought in.

Yeh pal it's the same one as I had has to be brought in.

What was the outcome for your car?

What was the outcome for your car?

Mine was covered under warranty they did a clean and re-gen on it and it's been fine ever since... touch wood.

Mine was covered under warranty they did a clean and re-gen on it and it's been fine ever since... touch wood.

Mines just out of warranty by a month, I'm sickened, I'll ring tomorrow and see my options if any. Thanks

• Advertisement

Mines just out of warranty by a month, I'm sickened, I'll ring tomorrow and see my options if any. Thanks

No problem that's a sickner best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

If they do anything for you great but if not I'd be taking it to an indy.
    Have you started it since it got cool?

Just started it now need to get diesel, wats indie

Just started it now need to get diesel, wats indie

He means an independent garage and not a main dealer.

He means an independent garage and not a main dealer.

The father has a Tucson and his dpf came on too the garage took it to be cleaned and two weeks later the light came back on, it comes on and off the whole time now. Dunno really could it be just a very temporary fix

The father has a Tucson and his dpf came on too the garage took it to be cleaned and two weeks later the light came back on, it comes on and off the whole time now. Dunno really could it be just a very temporary fix

Each car is different but there is no permanent fix on the honda from our years. Replacing it should last for another plus 100k mikes or getting the regen will last anywhere from 10k miles upwards.

If mine goes again I'm going to get it removed all together and get the ecu remapped it's risky if it's done wrong.

Each car is different but there is no permanent fix on the honda from our years. Replacing it should last for another plus 100k mikes or getting the regen will last anywhere from 10k miles upwards.

If mine goes again I'm going to get it removed all together and get the ecu remapped it's risky if it's done wrong.

If I got it regen how much would it cost? If it's removed will it fail the nct

If I got it regen how much would it cost? If it's removed will it fail the nct

I don't know on the cost as i didn't pay for mine. From what I've read and been told it won't fail but if advice you to do your own research on that.

I don't know on the cost as i didn't pay for mine. From what I've read and been told it won't fail but if advice you to do your own research on that.

Cheers, I'll ask around in the garages here and see what they say. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

jayo26 wrote:

I did forced regen twice with a main dealer. 80e each time. The third time my dpf! came on I went to my local garage and he removed it, got it washed, refitted it and changed the engine oil+filter. 550e. Main dealer wanted 1650e for a new one. My local garge also had to do a forced regeneration after refitting washed dpf and I was there when it happened. He basically plugs in the computer and the car does its own thing. Took 30mins. Main dealers are cleaning up out of this. It would take the mechanic 1 min to plug in computer and get it up and running. And one min to disconnect computer. And I'm being generous at that. 80e for 2 mins of a mechanics time.

Advertisement