Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liffey valley today

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

A hijab is a veil that only covers the head and hair your full face is still exposed. A niqab is a level up from that and covers part of the face , a burka covers the whole body.

If you want to commit a robbery with your head covered but your face exposed go for it but don't be too surprised when you are caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm confused, Clothes are a race now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm confused, Clothes are a race now ??

Yeah, arms race, clothes race. Try to keep up! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

We just follow Britain constantly. Pricks like Blair/Brown/Cameron talk about most Muslims being alright (which they probably are) and let's face it, they all despise Muslims.

I will say this publicly, the burka/hijab is degrading to women and has NO place in Ireland. Women can wear whatever the f.uck they want without religion dictating what they SHOULD wear. It's a simple solution - Islam is not compatible with western society. Let us have Europe, they can have North Africa and the Middle East. Simple solution but it should have been implemented 50 years ago. Too late now, I'm afraid

Genuine question.

What's your opinion on Nuns? They do, essentially, wear a Hijab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

I have a Muslim friend who didn't cover her hair growing up as a teen/young adult. In her 30s she decided she wanted to feel closer to her religion, so she started wearing a headscarf.

Would you support her decision, as an adult woman who isn't being pressured by either her family or her culture to do so?

Yes, I would support her decision to wear whatever she wants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

We just follow Britain constantly. Pricks like Blair/Brown/Cameron talk about most Muslims being alright (which they probably are) and let's face it, they all despise Muslims.

I will say this publicly, the burka/hijab is degrading to women and has NO place in Ireland. Women can wear whatever the f.uck they want without religion dictating what they SHOULD wear. It's a simple solution - Islam is not compatible with western society. Let us have Europe, they can have North Africa and the Middle East. Simple solution but it should have been implemented 50 years ago. Too late now, I'm afraid

Should we ban the wearing of the hood for christian monks and the veil for christian nuns?

Barbaric medievalism if you ask me.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Should we ban the wearing of the hood for christian monks and the veil for christian nuns?

Barbaric medievalism if you ask me.

It's more a case of barbaric modernism. Name a monk in a hood or a nun in veil who has carried out suicide bombings.

It's more a case of barbaric modernism. Name a monk in a hood or a nun in veil who has carried out suicide bombings.

Would barbaric torture / murder do instead of suicide bombing?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

Yes, less casualties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Esel wrote: »

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres no need to have a hoodie up,
    while in a shopping centre .
    I was asked to take out my headphones once by a security gaurd ,
    in a supermarket.
    i don.t know why.
    i like to listen to music while i shop.
    There,s signs inside banks ,
    please remove helmets ,
    for bikers that go inside .
    Some people might be put off shopping if theres teens there
    with hoods up,
    i don,t see loads of muslim women hanging around shopping centres in groups .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

riclad wrote: »
    in a supermarket.
    i don.t know why.
    please remove helmets ,
    with hoods up,

those pesky youths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

riclad wrote: »
    in a supermarket.
    i don.t know why.
    please remove helmets ,
    with hoods up,

That's a lovely poem. Did you do tha?

fatknacker wrote: »
    That's a lovely poem. Did you do tha?

'Tis called prose poetry, don't ya know
    Doesn't have to scan or rhyme or nothin'

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Brother Semtex of arimathea. Nawful hoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

http://saharareporters.com/2014/08/23/theft-nuns%E2%80%99-regalia-kano-may-be-tied-suicide-bomb-plots

hey, could happen!

Yes, less casualties

Over the last 2,000 years, whose god caused more deaths?

Not counting plagues, natural disasters, disease or other 'acts of dog'.

Religion, not patriotism, is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I have seen a woman in a burka in liffey valley accompanied by an adult male on one occasion. I have to say, I find it pretty bizarre that a woman would choose to wear such an outfit but I possibly have been brainwashed by western culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I'm not racist but......
    I am sectarian and think women having their faces covered is suspicious - no matter what race they are from.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I get really uncomfortable when I see a woman dressed in a niquab face veil with tiny slits for her eyes or (on one occasion) in a complete burqua. I feel really sorry for the woman and I just don't think that sort of garb is compatible with Irish culture and society.

The headscarf I have absolutely no problem with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I get really uncomfortable when I see a woman dressed in a niquab face veil with tiny slits for her eyes or (on one occasion) in a complete burqua. I feel really sorry for the woman and I just don't think that sort of garb is compatible with Irish culture and society.

The headscarf I have absolutely no problem with.

I like to pretend they are giant bottles of Guinness roaming around

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

galljga1 wrote: »
    I have to say, I find it pretty bizarre that a woman would choose to wear such an outfit but I possibly have been brainwashed by western culture.

I'm sure plenty of women wear it with great pride because it is part of their culture and their identity, but i suspect for many choice isn't a very strong factor.

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I'm sure plenty of women wear it with great pride because it is part of their culture and their identity, but i suspect for many choice isn't a very strong factor.

Agreed. I wonder what the % of those who wear it by choice is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

What is choice defined as?

who wakes up in the morning as says "you know what, this bedsheet looks fantastic on me, I thinks I'll wear it to work"?

What is choice defined as?

who wakes up in the morning as says "you know what, this bedsheet looks fantastic on me, I thinks I'll wear it to work"?

Now you are on my wavelength. That is one of the few reasons I can see for wearing this type of clothing. No clean hijab, ya know what? I'll just fcuk this sheet over my head and off I go. It's a bit old so cutting out eye holes is ok. Hair's a mess? No makeup? Who cares? Or I could send out the husband. Who will know?

Advertisement