Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liffey valley today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

It's like the church of the flying spaghetti monster and the woman that fought to wear a colander on her head in her driving licence photo, making a point by stating it was part of her religion. She was just making a point that she should be free to wear head gear if she wants to.

The guy should be allowed to wear his hoody up and not be judged as a potential criminal,in the same way a woman in a hijab should be free to wear it without the assumption she is or knows terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

PLL wrote: »
    It's like the church of the flying spaghetti monster and the woman that fought to wear a colander on her head in her driving licence photo, making a point by stating it was part of her religion. She was just making a point that she should be free to wear head gear if she wants to.

The guy should be allowed to wear his hoody up and not be judged as a potential criminal,in the same way a woman in a hijab should be free to wear it without the assumption she is or knows terrorists.

Yeah and random checks in the airport's randomly select more darker skinned people. These things are based on perception or crime stats. We had quite a few break ins into the yard at work. Surprisingly enough no women in burkas and of plenty men in hoodies. I am sure it is not as cold in liffey valley that he had to keep the hoodie on. And as much as Ioathe women being covered, hoodie is not a religious, racial or any other necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

They may wear burkas to stop their identification on crimeline photofit section, and wear hoodies for actually carrying out the crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

PLL wrote: »

Liffey Valley is privately owned, so they can set their own rules on code of dress, conduct etc. If they want hoodies down, that's their perogative.

If yer man doesn't like it he should take his cash elsewhere, where he is "free to wear his hoody up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Discodog wrote: »
    Well they used to. A friend of mine worked in London when all the Arabs were in town. He was a security guy for a major department store. He said that women were coming in, stuffing rails of clothes under their burkas & walking out. Security were under instruction not to touch them as some were close to the middle eastern ambassadors, apparently some were diplomats wives.

He said one famous store used to just add the cost to the customers account.

They used to try that stunt in France when I lived there in the 90's. Easy solution: they just employed a couple of female muslim security guards to pick the women up.

They found out that pretty much all of them were either non-muslim, or if they were, they never wore the burqa in ordinary life. They got the publicity for it and the problem stopped straight away.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    They used to try that stunt in France when I lived there in the 90's. Easy solution: they just employed a couple of female muslim security guards to pick the women up.

They found out that pretty much all of them were either non-muslim, or if they were, they never wore the burqa in ordinary life. They got the publicity for it and the problem stopped straight away.

What if Decco identifies as a female and wears a burka, who'd search her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

seamus wrote: »
    How often do women in hijabs shoplift in comparison to young fellas with their hoods up?.

Well if you're going to use that logic, then how often do young fellas with their hoods act as suicde bombers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well if you're going to use that logic, then how often do young fellas with their hoods act as suicde bombers?

I'd say shoplifting is a bit more common in Liffey Valley than suicide bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

spurious wrote: »
    I'd say shoplifting is a bit more common in Liffey Valley than suicide bombing.

I'd say that probably holds true for all of... well, Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

You can fit more under baggy clothes than a teen would inside his hood.

http://youtu.be/572QlTVN4AI

The words sausage and hallway come to mind..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Liffey valley on a Saturday = pure hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

Security guards study body language and behaviour. Wearing a hooded top with the hood disguising your head aka your identity is a socially deviant behaviour whereas a veiled Muslim woman isn't due to the fact it is a religious belief and there is no need for worry or to be paranoid about her doing anything wrong regardless of your concern or opinions which are either based on the media or irrational worries about something you don't understand. Try not to think so deep and accept things at face value. I hope you enjoyed your time in liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

How often do women in hijabs shoplift in comparison to young fellas with their hoods up?

It's not about equality it's about the simple fact that dodgy people wander around shopping centres with their hoods up. Normal people tend to take their hoods down indoors.

Have you ever worked in retail? the people in hoodies aren't the ones you need to watch you would be so surprised at the people you see shoplifting - your neighbour, your teacher and everyone in between...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

How often do women in hijabs shoplift in comparison to young fellas with their hoods up?

It's not about equality it's about the simple fact that dodgy people wander around shopping centres with their hoods up. Normal people tend to take their hoods down indoors.

Like, what the actual lump?

This is one of the most idiotic posts I have read on boards of late.

"Ever feel the need to shoplift? Scientists have discovered that wearing a hoodie increases the chances you will shoplift by dippidy diddly doo doo percent. Scientists are still studying this odd phenomenon sweeping our nation... bla bla bla, more madeness... bla bla bla..."

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Stone her.

Oh no wait we're civilized.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

We just follow Britain constantly. Pricks like Blair/Brown/Cameron talk about most Muslims being alright (which they probably are) and let's face it, they all despise Muslims.

I will say this publicly, the burka/hijab is degrading to women and has NO place in Ireland. Women can wear whatever the f.uck they want without religion dictating what they SHOULD wear. It's a simple solution - Islam is not compatible with western society. Let us have Europe, they can have North Africa and the Middle East. Simple solution but it should have been implemented 50 years ago. Too late now, I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

We just follow Britain constantly. Pricks like Blair/Brown/Cameron talk about most Muslims being alright (which they probably are) and let's face it, they all despise Muslims.

I will say this publicly, the burka/hijab is degrading to women and has NO place in Ireland. Women can wear whatever the f.uck they want without religion dictating what they SHOULD wear. It's a simple solution - Islam is not compatible with western society. Let us have Europe, they can have North Africa and the Middle East. Simple solution but it should have been implemented 50 years ago. Too late now, I'm afraid
    I am no supporter of the face veil, but what if that is what they want to wear?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OK, the full shebang like in Afghanistan under the Taliban could be worn by men. For the purposes of peace of course, nothing else really. Who knew?

Would anyone challenge a full cover person to ask or find out if they are male or female?

Anyway, how anyone could spend time in an oxygen deprived environment with crap food and rubbish shops in a shopping centre is totally beyond me.

I will have Grafton Street/Mary Street anyday thank you, and fresh air and buskers and a bit of craic too. And a nice pub or two nearby to recover.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm no great fan of shopping centres but Liffey Valley is utterly soulless.

JupiterKid wrote: »

But it's packed day and night.

Whoy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

JupiterKid wrote: »

Which shopping centre has a soul?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Cienciano wrote: »

Well you get some that are nicer than others.

But it's packed day and night.

Whoy?

Saves turning the heating on at home

Saves turning the heating on at home

But what about the cost of getting there and all the rest of it. That would heat the house for hours!

Then again, free travel is for the favoured few. Ah go on says you, that wouldn't happen in Dundrum lol. Would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

So you saw a security person doing their job and you were disconcerted by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Any that are situated in South Korea's capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They do a good job in Liffey Valley from what I've seen, and there are some pretty sketchy areas nearby so I'm sure they have their work cut out. It would put a lot of people off shopping in a place if there was a bunch of teens hanging around with hoodies up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

https://www.facebook.com/Crumlinshopingcentre/?fref=ts

The OP has got me thinking - I'm going to buy a hijab and go on a shopping spree. With the proper placement of zippers and pockets I imagine I could carry quite a haul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I have a Muslim friend who didn't cover her hair growing up as a teen/young adult. In her 30s she decided she wanted to feel closer to her religion, so she started wearing a headscarf.

Would you support her decision, as an adult woman who isn't being pressured by either her family or her culture to do so?

Advertisement