Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy ready made meals.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I rarely buy ready meals, usually only if they are reduced. I'd buy plenty of sauces, lasagna kits, chilli satchels. For 2 people it is cheaper to buy those instead of all the ingredients which will go bad by the time you get around to making it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Ooh sounds interesting!!

Rinse and dry a handful of tinned chickpeas, and deep-fry them in a little oil, not too quickly, until they are just barely hard. Drain and cool and chop in a food processor. I remembered when I used to do this as one of the steps in vegan "grated spaghetti topping". When I was a vegan. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Im addicted to Tesco Indian Chicken Tikka Masala & Pilau Rice ready meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Speedwell wrote: »
    Rinse and dry a handful of tinned chickpeas, and deep-fry them in a little oil, not too quickly, until they are just barely hard. Drain and cool and chop in a food processor. I remembered when I used to do this as one of the steps in vegan "grated spaghetti topping". When I was a vegan. :)

I'll give this a whirl thanks :)

Actually I think I remember roasting chickpeas in the oven (after coating with spices and olive oil) and they were lovely as a healthy snack :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I love the hypocrisy of some people, they'll badmouth a chilled ready meal with a week's shelf life, and then go buy jars of sauces with a date of use by 2525 and have god knows what additives/preservatives.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

I'm a pedant from Texas. Fajitas is the specific cut of skirt steak used for the meat in the recipe. I think you mean "tortillas". They're not difficult to make yourself and they do not contain eggs.

He's been making fuckin omelettes in his Nutri-Bullet all this time :pac:

HensVassal wrote: »
    He's been making fuckin omelettes in his Nutri-Bullet all this time :pac:

Naah, just pancakes :)

My Mexican sister-in-law's mother can turn these out as fast as her family can eat them. Lard is essential. Get the skillet very hot. http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/flour-tortillas/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

No never. I make everything from scratch. Soup, pizza sauce, pesto the lot

Can I ask you, what way and how do you make your pizza Base sauces? I can never do it for some reason.

Can I ask you, what way and how do you make your pizza Base sauces? I can never do it for some reason.

Not to take over the thread, but I used to work in an Italian restaurant. Pizza sauce is much simpler than sauce for cooked pasta. We used to puree a can of Italian whole tomatoes (drained) in a food mill with a sprig of basil and a clove of garlic. That's it.

At home I use passata and a pinch of rosemary and oregano in addition to the basil and garlic just because I like it. A bit of salt doesn't hurt. No cooking required; it will cook on the pizza. I splash it on rather lavishly; a very thin layer will just make a dry film on the dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Only if it's a yellow sticker-reduced price type job. I can't turn down an evening meal for 50p. Generally I don't find the convenience is worth the drop in quality and increase in price from a good old fashioned home made dinner.
    JustShon wrote: »
    I find cooking for just myself feels lonely and depressing so I use ready meals to shorten the whole experience.

This made me sad! I'm usually cooking just for myself but I think of it as almost like a present to myself to prepare a delicious meal that's all for me. I am quite into cooking in general though. Chin up, all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Not to take over the thread, but I used to work in an Italian restaurant. Pizza sauce is much simpler than sauce for cooked pasta. We used to puree a can of Italian whole tomatoes (drained) in a food mill with a sprig of basil and a clove of garlic. That's it.

At home I use passata and a pinch of rosemary and oregano in addition to the basil and garlic just because I like it. A bit of salt doesn't hurt. No cooking required; it will cook on the pizza. I splash it on rather lavishly; a very thin layer will just make a dry film on the dough.

Thanks for that! Simple enough, I might try over the weekend. I try to make it from scratch and it just turns out, not good at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I usually cook from scratch but sometimes if I get in late or couldn't be arsed cooking it's handy to have one in the fridge/freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No need. My chef prepares all my meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Boskowski wrote: »
    I used to sometimes but I actually like cooking and of course we all know they're rubbish and a guaranteed path to 20 stone. So I haven't bought one in a long time. Rather than seeing preparing your meals as a nuisance in your busy day I now embrace it. I suspect what most people mean with 'busy day' is it eats into their couch and rubbish tv time anyway.

I think it's also that they probably come in starving and just want to zap a meal in the microwave in 3 minutes, rather than spend an hour cooking. I'd much rather have a snack at 4pm and not eat until 7 or 8pm instead of having and instant dinner made, eaten and cleared away by 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

mathie wrote: »
    No I just fry them up like pancakes :)
    I use buckwheat flour to give them a bit more "healthiness"
    I use Doves Farm gluten free flour as my partner is a coeliac ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I use Doves Farm gluten free flour as my partner is a coeliac ;)

Buckwheat is naturally gluten free and a very healthy food :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Buckwheat is gluten free and naturally a very healthy food :)
    Thank you kindly, I didn't know that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Nope, never have them. Cook from scratch everyday. Takes me about 15 mins to knock up a meal.

Mostly Asian style food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Not really. I'd buy lots of noodles but everything else I'd make properly. It's from growing up, my mom always made proper dinners and then when I took care of my dad, I made proper dinners and it's just what we were used to.

That said, my diet is atrocious. I have a small appetite so I can't eat much in one sitting but I'm like a cow, grazing all day long. I never have time or energy to cook proper meals and by the time I get home it's too late to eat. So I'm starting to find on the days I do eat a full dinner or a proper meal, I'm killed with stomach cramps, feeling sick, and more often than not if I finish my dinner I'll end up puking it up. Maybe if I had ready made meals at home id be more used to eating a meal, even if it wasn't a very nutritious one. Rather than snacking on crap throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

When I first moved to Dublin for my first job I used to get the M&S ready made meals.

I wasn't that heavy but as soon as I stopped when I get settled in I started cooking again and lost 10kgs.

I found it much easier to be take care of what I ate and I think the processed foods in general and while grand every once in a while don't make a healthy lifestye unless you mix it up with more homemade non processed foods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I would occasionally out of laziness or whatnot, but only occasionally because most of them taste rank, you'd be hard pressed to find any that are not shockingly and unnecessarily unhealthy, and they are a ridiculous waste of money. Even with things like pizzas, you can make your own for about 15-20% of the cost you'd buy most brand named ones in the shop for (which again, mostly taste like muck).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

When I first moved to Dublin for my first job I used to get the M&S ready made meals.

My Oh is always going on about how great m&s is for food but i always say that most of it is just ready made food! We do go there especially to get Maris Piper potatoes though because I never see them anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭curiosity

From the horse's mouth...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36051333
    Dolmio and Uncle Ben's firm Mars advises limit on products

The company behind Dolmio and Uncle Ben's sauces says some products should only be consumed once a week due to high salt, sugar or fat content

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I never buy ready meals or sauces from jars. You can't beat a nice homemade pasta or curry sauce, the stuff in jars is muck in comparison. I would always cook enough for 2 days. If I really couldn't be arsed cooking then I would get a Thai, Indian or a nice fish and chip takeaway. I'm lucky though to be living in an area with lots of good take away places :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-pizza-sauce-21202http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/quick-pizza-sauce

- I'd simmer for about 20 minutes though to get it extra thick.
    - You can mess about with the herbs, spices, salt and pepper (or even some sugar if you like it sweeter), takes a few goes to get it as you like it but well worth it.
    - It's also easier/cheaper to make a big batch of it and pop the rest in the freezer. If you freeze it in an ice cube tray, about 2-3 cubes will do per pizza and it's quick to defrost (30 secs in the microwave).
    - I also skin a carrott or two, run it through a cheese grater, and add in at the start too. Gives a nice extra flavour and sweetens it a bit without lobbing in piles of sugar.

I would never eat a ready meal. They are only for lazy, slovenly people.

I much prefer to fly to Italy on a regular basis and get freshly made pasta. When there I also supervise the care of some calves because on my next trip I'll be slicing chunks off of them to bring home.

My garden is full of vegetables. Why go to the shop like the other plebs when I grow my own? I also have goats. In the evening I like nothing better than to make cheese from their milk.

I catch my own fish in a little boat I acquired. Off I go with my rod and bring back a lovely haul of trout and salmon. It's so simple that anyone could do it.

The best thing about all of this is it only takes ten minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Everything from scratch here as well.

Pasta sauce is ridiculously simple and cheap to make. Fry onions, mushrooms, garlic, chillis (if you like), add in tin of tomatoes and some herbs (herbs de provence from lidl, or some combination of basil, oregano etc.). Add salt and pepper.

You can tweak it as you like. It is made from scratch in the time it takes to cook some chicken and the actual pasta. Blitz it in a blender for better coverage. Can be used on pasta, in a bolognese or as a sauce for pizza. Would never go back to the jars

Tinned tomatoes? Dried herbs?

You lazy f*cker!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Not often, but sometimes I buy the ready meals when doing the shopping in Marks + Spencer, they are handy for when things are extra busy. Tasty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Apart from some frozen pizza, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I would never eat a ready meal. They are only for lazy, slovenly people.

I much prefer to fly to Italy on a regular basis and get freshly made pasta. When there I also supervise the care of some calves because on my next trip I'll be slicing chunks off of them to bring home.

My garden is full of vegetables. Why go to the shop like the other plebs when I grow my own? I also have goats. In the evening I like nothing better than to make cheese from their milk.

I catch my own fish in a little boat I acquired. Off I go with my rod and bring back a lovely haul of trout and salmon. It's so simple that anyone could do it.

The best thing about all of this is it only takes ten minutes.

Your a right Artisan Persepoly! ;)

Advertisement