Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB workers get 5.5% rise and 'compensation' payment

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Two Tone wrote: »
    Having to pay for a service is "being held to blackmail"?

Even when they do not sell any electricity they are still well able to abuse their monopoly position. ESB charges on an empty house consuming no electricity is almost a euro a day. I suppose considering that Esb workers earn on average 2x the salary of their Northern Ireland equivialents, the money has to come from someplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

maryishere wrote: »
    Even when they do not sell any electricity they are still well able to abuse their monopoly position. ESB charges on an empty house consuming no electricity is almost a euro a day. I suppose considering that Esb workers earn on average 2x the salary of their Northern Ireland equivialents, the money has to come from someplace.

You can buy from several suppliers, its not a monopoly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah the ESB aren't the billing crowd now - they're the powerlines maintenance guys... the poster doesn't even have that basic bit of information correct.

Yeah the ESB aren't the billing crowd now - they're the powerlines maintenance guys... the poster doesn't even have that basic bit of information correct.

Oh, she knows. She just likes repeating the same lies and misinformation over and over again and completely ignores when shes corrected

And who else operates right across the electricity market: from generation, through transmission and distribution to supply, and wholesales electricity to the other providers? As said before, ESB charges on an empty house consuming no electricity is almost a euro a day. I suppose considering that Esb workers earn on average 2x the salary of their Northern Ireland equivialents, the money has to come from someplace. If only we could buy our electricity from overseas suppliers.

• Advertisement

And who else operates right across the electricity market: from generation, through transmission and distribution to supply, and wholesales electricity to the other providers? As said before, ESB charges on an empty house consuming no electricity is almost a euro a day. I suppose considering that Esb workers earn on average 2x the salary of their Northern Ireland equivialents, the money has to come from someplace. If only we could buy our electricity from overseas suppliers.

You tell me, several companies generate, its not a monopoly. Eirgrid operation transmission. You think we should have several grids so theres competition?

You tell me, several companies generate, its not a monopoly. Eirgrid operation transmission. You think we should have several grids so theres competition?
    Wasn't that done in the UK resulting in an absolute mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Its not that many years since the same paper reported that average pay and pension of ESB workers was near €100,000

I am not surprised you think esb pay and pensions are very ordinary, given average industrial wage is only thirty something k a year and most private sector workers cannot afford a pension.

ESB staff aren't average industrial workers there Highly qualified engineers and electricians. (The average industrial wage is now 45k)

A graduate engineer sector starts on 30+k, a newly qualified accountant is on 45+

You need to compare like for like.

The 100k might be an old level but I can tell you it's much lower now but don't forget that the cost includes 10.85 % PRSI and pension contributions.

I suggest that you go back to college get a qualification and move up past the average industrial wage.?

Empty houses still require a grid fed which costs money, that's what the standing charge covers.

ESB sold most their generation capacity and there huge competition now Bord na mona, SSE, Viridian, Bord Gais, Vayu , etc

Eirgrid look after the transmission and also the SEM ( Single energy Market )

ESB bought NIE and Eirgrid bought SONI, salaries aren't double , they bought them to block nuclear plants being built in the North but to also enhance efficiencies.

So now you have shown that you are spouting rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You would also claim that payroll costs are actually a very small percentage of the cost of a luas ticket. Still does not make it right.

In 2012 it was claimed ESB's Payroll costs were listed at €700 million and the number of employees at 6,700,which gave average payroll costs per employee then of €104,000.;)

And our electricity bills are amongst the highest in the world, thank YOU.

No, I couldn't claim that about luaus because it's not true. What bit of a fact do you not want to accept.

Face it, the pay costs in ESB make up only a single digit % of the cost of electricity to your home. No claim... real.

You also need to learn the difference between payroll cost and wages.

But rant away and don't let facts get in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think ESB workers also get some concessions in their own ESB bills.;)
    The rest of us held to blackmail are not so lucky, and our bills are some of the most expensive in the world.

Oh, you are so struggling to have your unresearched rubbish hold up. You are so wrong. I most certainly do not work for ESB. But I do read the papers and keep informed.

Better luck next time with the fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

You would also claim that payroll costs are actually a very small percentage of the cost of a luas ticket. Still does not make it right.

In 2012 it was claimed ESB's Payroll costs were listed at €700 million and the number of employees at 6,700,which gave average payroll costs per employee then of €104,000.;)

And our electricity bills are amongst the highest in the world, thank YOU.

thank you CER? :confused:

I think ESB workers also get some concessions in their own ESB bills.;)
    The rest of us held to blackmail are not so lucky, and our bills are some of the most expensive in the world.

They get a small concession in unit costs not on the Standing charges or PSO Levy , it works out at about 20 euro a month.

Bills are high because of the governments policy in wind, and that we import all out fuel.

If we didn't have so much wind we'd be much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ted1 wrote: »
    They get a small concession in unit costs not on the Standing charges or PSO Levy , it works out at about 20 euro a month.

€20 a month, €240 a year. I can hear the pitch forks being sharpened and the torches being lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh how I wish Mary wasn't here :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

As I said, overpaid monkeys; asleep at the wheel.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0711/801755-esb-wayleave-court/

Just add the cost onto the bill, no problem guys, now back to work and don't worry; no one in ESB gets fired because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

google alert for ESB articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

loremolis wrote: »

Just add the cost onto the bill, no problem guys, now back to work and don't worry; no one in ESB gets fired because of this.
    Jaysus, it's hardly like a power station exploded and killed fifty people.

A bit of obscure legislation was overlooked and there was no harm done. An easy mistake to make in reality.

I think you really need to ask yourself why you hate the ESB so much.

Wossack wrote: »

Nope

Nope

Nothing better than manually searching yourself for news at 4am in the morning. Best way to feed an obsession.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

My guess is either he was sacked, didn't get a contract renewed or maybe didn't even get past the interview stage of a job he went for.

Either way, the bitterness is strong in this one.

seamus wrote: »

Jaysus, it's hardly like a power station exploded and killed fifty people.

A bit of obscure legislation was overlooked and there was no harm done. An easy mistake to make in reality.

What about landowners who were prosecuted and jailed on foot of those unlawful notices? That's harmless?

What was the mistake that was so easy to make?

When did I say hate? I've said that they're monkeys; who could hate cute little monkeys?

:D

It cannot be healthy. Notice the way they don't express concern in relation to incompetence by any other company whatsoever, and the way they depict every single person in the ESB as the same. Not very brainy.

:D

It cannot be healthy. Notice the way they don't express concern in relation to incompetence by any other company whatsoever, and the way they depict every single person in the ESB as the same. Not very brainy.

Irish water is overstaffed with overpaid useless monkeys too.

Not just very brainy; super unbelievably brainy.

It's definitely not brainy to describe an individual as overstaffed (as opposed to an organisation). You have details of all the staff in these organisations I assume?

It's definitely not brainy to describe an individual as overstaffed (as opposed to an organisation). You have details of all the staff in these organisations I assume?
    Sorted that for you.
    I couldn't possibly have details of all the staff in ESB and Irish Water, not very bright comment. From my experience of dealing with the staff of both organizations, many, not all, are overpaid monkeys.
    Try to stay on topic. My point is that this latest blunder of epic proportions by ESB is going to cost millions to rectify. I wonder who will pay for cleaning up the mess?

. I wonder who will pay for cleaning up the mess?

The rest of us, who have to pay some of the most expensive electricity bills in the world, per unit of electricity.

Advertisement