Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB workers get 5.5% rise and 'compensation' payment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

loremolis wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0414/781841-esb-workers-set-to-receive-5-5-pay-rise/

A 5.5% pay rise and €2,750 in 'compensation' for the period where their pay was frozen.

"Such arrangements are not common in the general workforce."

More of the same from ESB. I mightn't care as much if their workers weren't the most wasteful I've ever come across.

It over two and a half years, a about a 2% rise a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Not exactly a huge payrise is it....put your daggers away on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Specialun wrote: »
    Not exactly a huge payrise is it....put your daggers away on this one

A no I was looking forward to all the stories about the brother in law, cousins, next door neighbour, who work in the ESB, drives a gold plated merc and takes 16 holidays a year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

More of the same from ESB. I mightn't care as much if their workers weren't the most wasteful I've ever come across.

How are they wasteful and why were you ejaculating on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0414/781841-esb-workers-set-to-receive-5-5-pay-rise/

A 5.5% pay rise and €2,750 in 'compensation' for the period where their pay was frozen.

"Such arrangements are not common in the general workforce."

If you think thats a lot then your head will explode if you see what the lads on the LUAS want!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Pay frozen for years, get 2% year. Nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The ESB confirmed that the average salary for ESB employees at present is €62,000, rising to €72,000 when overtime and expenses are factored in.
    Nice!

Always thought the ESB looked really generous in their headlines. Ever see that headline where everyone in their Dublin office got a €1000 chair?

Must find out where the advertise their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

mariaalice wrote: »
    It over two and a half years, a about a 2% rise a year.

They're already the highest paid public sector employees in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I mightn't care as much if their workers weren't the most wasteful I've ever come across.
    Are you going to back that up with anything?

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    Pay frozen for years, get 2% year. Nothing really.

It wasn't frozen if they're getting it now

How are they wasteful and why were you ejaculating on them?

I said come not cum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjTh5tFiZM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

2 years ago there was a bad storm and the electricity was gone, they were out working that night and had it back at 11 pm so I think they deserve whatever pay they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭matchthis

When there's storms, floods etc they are out in them getting things going. No power for people who can manage is small, but for the elderly and vulnerable it's a necessity. Didn't an employee die when trying to restore power in the storms over xmas?

2 years ago there was a bad storm and the electricity was gone, they were out working that night and had it back at 11 pm so I think they deserve whatever pay they are on.

I don't disagree that the guys who go out after a storm do their job well, but you're forgetting that the ESB is much much larger than the guys who go out on a stormy night. The thousands of staff in Electric Ireland who never leave their office get this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Gombeens areas are always first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Is the ESB not semi state? Also do they not run at a massive profit every year so should be able to pay their employees what they want.
    I have lived in other countries as well and their price is on a par with or cheaper than the UK and the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just for completeness, they are actually classified as Private Sector.

You also seem to ignore the article referring to
    The percentage increases would be seen as being in line with norms in the economy at present.

But bash away.

What is it with begrudgery in this country?

I don't disagree that the guys who go out after a storm do their job well, but you're forgetting that the ESB is much much larger than the guys who go out on a stormy night. The thousands of staff in Electric Ireland who never leave their office get this too.

Care to be more specific on the Electric Ireland staff numbers? I know them and they are not in the thousands. But look it up for yourself and post it.

Just for completeness, they are actually classified as Private Sector.

You also seem to ignore the article referring to

But bash away.

What is it with begrudgery in this country?

Where are they classified as private sector?

An average salary of €72,000 cannot be equated to a norm in the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Is the ESB not semi state? Also do they not run at a massive profit every year so should be able to pay their employees what they want.
    I have lived in other countries as well and their price is on a par with or cheaper than the UK and the States.

They have also paid back into the Government coffers to the tune of €1.5 Billion over the past 10 years.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

They are classed as Private Sector, in all employment legislation, public accounts, and any other manner you want. You called them Public so that makes them public, is that it?
    Public sector is defined as providing government services or being publicly funded. ESB is neither.

That average salary covers all levels and they employ highly qualified engineers, technicians, accountants etc, who work on-call, shifts etc. It's not an excessive 'average' when these and CEO etc are considered. I earned in excess of that in my line of work before I retired many years ago. For the skill set that is included, it's reasonable. I know many in ESB earn below 35000.

The percentage increase is the norm across the economy. The salary is a different matter altogether.

Considering the high degree of specialty, training and responsibility what would you consider a fair salary?

JRant wrote: »
    They have also paid back into the Government coffers to the tune of €1.5 Billion over the past 10 years.

Every cent of which came from our electricity bills. The fact that a dividend is paid seems to give the ESB a get out of jail card for the fact that we are being overcharged for electricity. It's a form of stealth tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Fair play to them.

Every cent of which came from our electricity bills. The fact that a dividend is paid seems to give the ESB a get out of jail card for the fact that we are being overcharged for electricity. It's a form of stealth tax.

Haha, good one. Their accounts are publically available if you're interested in actually looking rather than spouting.

Generation accounts for a portion of the profits but that includes industrial customers as well. Electric Irelands profits are quite small in comparison.

They also own nearly the entire fibre backbone in the country that is rented to all the phone providers. That's a nice little earner for them as well.

So, no, electricity bills for domestic customers does not account for every cent.

Haha, good one. Their accounts are publically available if you're interested in actually looking rather than spouting.

Generation accounts for a portion of the profits but that includes industrial customers as well. Electric Irelands profits are quite small in comparison.

They also own nearly the entire fibre backbone in the country that is rented to all the phone providers. That's a nice little earner for them as well.

So, no, electricity bills for domestic customers does not account for every cent.

How much does the 'fibre backbone' earn them annually then? ESB created ESB Telecoms Limited to hide the true earnings of the use of the publicly paid for transmission system and to take the cream of the earnings before paying a small percentage to be divided between ESB and electricity consumers.

All ESB salaries are paid for by electricity customers regardless of where the personnel work. Who do you think pays the generators and the suppliers? I never differentiated between the many arms of ESB in relation to this pay increase. They all got it regardless of how well they fixed cables during the storms.

How much does the 'fibre backbone' earn them annually then? ESB created ESB Telecoms Limited to hide the true earnings of the use of the publicly paid for transmission system and to take the cream of the earnings before paying a small percentage to be divided between ESB and electricity consumers.

All ESB salaries are paid for by electricity customers regardless of where the personnel work. Who do you think pays the generators and the suppliers? I never differentiated between the many arms of ESB in relation to this pay increase. They all got it regardless of how well they fixed cables during the storms.

The ESB had to set up all those different sub-groups due to European interference.

The ESB had to set up all those different sub-groups due to European interference.

Isn't that convenient. The electricity consumer gets only 5% of the revenue generated by ESB Telecoms Limited from its free use of the transmission system for commercial fibre optic activities. ESB Telecoms Limited operates a monolpoly use of the system paid for by electricity consumers. ESB Telecoms Limited employees are actually ESB employees on secondment so they get the pay rise too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eirgrid control the transmission system, not ESB

Advertisement