Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Not much mention on this thread about Kyren Wilson. O'Sullivan and practically all of the reputable commentators have flagged him as a potential world number one and possible winner. He showed a bit of bottle there today to hold his nerve to close the match out. And he did it without trying cheeky cheating shots like Ding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

bajer101 wrote: »
    Not much mention on this thread about Kyren Wilson. O'Sullivan and practically all of the reputable commentators have flagged him as a potential world number one and possible winner. He showed a bit of bottle there today to hold his nerve to close the match out. And he did it without trying cheeky cheating shots like Ding.

Whats this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'd have to agree. I think Ding will be brimming with confidence after seeing off Trump too, & Higgins/Selby aside, has a real chance of winning this year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

I'm not a Ronnie fan but I thought he showed great bottle by coming from 3 frames behind last night to level it up.

To me, Ronnie just didn't look match sharp. But fair play to Barry he played very well and played some great safety in the final frame to eek out a chance.

As for Ronnie, where does he go from here? I don't think even he himself knows that.

Amongst the fans, the debating will continue about who is the greatest of all time. There's no doubting that Ronnie is the most naturally gifted player of all time. But unfortunately its not just about that. Snooker more than many other sports is mentally testing. Ronnie has always struggled with his mental game. So on that basis you can't really say that he is the greatest in my view. It's all about the complete package.

For anyone who's interested there's an excellent youtube clip which the BBC did two years ago on the psychology of snooker. Its well worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS1D63Y9WRg

• Advertisement

I said it last year, but I don't think Ronnie has another world title in him. To keep his own sanity, he picks & chooses events these days, and that means less match play, & less table time really. The problem for Ronnie is, to be at his majestic best, he has to be in the thick of event after event, & that doesn't work for him any more. I know he won the Masters there recently, but personally, I don't believe Ronnie has been his best for quite some time now.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I said it last year, but I don't think Ronnie has another world title in him. To keep his own sanity, he picks & chooses events these days, and that means less match play, & less table time really. The problem for Ronnie is, to be at his majestic best, he has to be in the thick of event after event, & that doesn't work for him any more. I know he won the Masters there recently, but personally, I don't believe Ronnie has been his best for quite some time now.

I thought he played exceptionally well at the Masters. Some of the best snooker I've ever seen him play. Particularly in his match against Selby. It was a joy to behold. But I agree with you, performances like that are getting rarer.

I thought he played exceptionally well at the Masters. Some of the best snooker I've ever seen him play. Particularly in his match against Selby. It was a joy to behold. But I agree with you, performances like that are getting rarer.

He definitely played very well, & deserved to win...but he fell over the line against Bingham to reach the final, & Hawkins absolutely crumbled in the final. He hasn't looked unstoppably dominant though for a good while I feel.

Very true. To this day I still don't know how Selby won those last two frames of that session to bring it back to 10-7. It was remarkable and the defining moment of that final. Just goes to show how mentally strong Selby is.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Really think selby is riding every bit of luck he has. Seems to be leaving nothing after every missed shot.

Edit- but throughly deserves to be 6 up, just think this form won't take him through a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Hawkins potting everything in sight against Ronnie.

Typical Hawkins, he'll knock Ronnie out and then won't be able to pot a ball in the next match.

Called it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Hawkins 7-1 down, looks like a collapse alright after knocking out Ronnie.
    A lot of the exciting players are knocked out. I suppose Selby is the favourite to win at this stage. I'd like to see Williams progressing but will be hard to see him beat Ding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,861 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Why have BBC decided not to show us the live McManus/Higgins game rather than the game already over for the afternoon

Called it :)

good call.

i new the rest of the tournament would suffer quality wise when ronnie got knocked out, not a lot of great to watch players left.

Great chance for Ding to win the tournament although id have little faith in him not choking at some point.

Setting up for a poor finale i feel, Hawkins 7-1 down to Fu now, awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Hoping Ding wins it now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Neither Wilson or Selby want to win this frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Still on track, fair play. Fairly embarrassing for Williams.

tinpib wrote: »
    Still on track, fair play. Fairly embarrassing for Williams.

This was always possible, Williams hasn't been at anything for years and had very cushy matches up to this.

Sterner tests await for Ding though and i wouldn't get carried away with Ding over this performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Mark Williams missing sitters. He is done. But be good to see him scrape this one frame and back tomorrow to see if he can make it more respectable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Brilliant break by Ding to finish, especially that opening red.

Advertisement