Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Did well to hold his nerve there! Well done Barry!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

All over looked like a magical clearance was on. Ronnie looked on verge of tears at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He's gone now, so hopefully all the sh1te about how great he is will stop for another while. Fair play Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I have a serious dislike for O' Sullivan but there is no doubting his talent. One of, if not, the greatest to ever play snooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I have a serious dislike for O' Sullivan but there is no doubting his talent. One of, if not, the greatest to ever play snooker.

I agree, a fantastic talent. But the commentators would sicken you with all they go on about him.
    My point was that now he's gone, they can get on with the rest of the tournament.
    John Higgins to win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    He's gone now, so hopefully all the sh1te about how great he is will stop for another while. Fair play Barry.

****e? He is the greatest of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Sadly some people will switch off now that he's gone the way it is, really enjoying this years tournament I think any1 of the 8 left can win it apart from Williams and McManus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I would love to see McManus get to the final after all these years. He always came across as genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Very unlucky with the in off after moving the red,but hands up for Hawkins who played brilliantly. He might just win it out,has a good record at the crucible:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

Great to see O'Sullivan gone, no time for his attention seeking crap.

Well done, Barry Hawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Very unlucky with the in off after moving the red,but hands up for Hawkins who played brilliantly. He might just win it out,has a good record at the crucible:)

Two semis and a final in his last three attempts, that is tremendous consistency. He goes above and beyond at the Crucible, there's nobody left I'd like to see win it more.

Anyone but Higgins. The free pass he gets is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

martyos121 wrote: »
    Two semis and a final in his last three attempts, that is tremendous consistency. He goes above and beyond at the Crucible, there's nobody left I'd like to see win it more.

It was one of the most open tournaments before it started and still is. You can make a case for 7 possible winners,i"m discounting Angles Mcmanus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

****e? He is the greatest of all time.

Maybe the most talented, but not the greatest, not yet at least. Hendry is the most accomplished so deserves the title of greatest imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

The what?

Totally, Stephen Lee and Quinten Hann got 12 year bans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

magma69 wrote: »
    There's a blast from the past.

Found this on his Wiki page, gave me a laugh.
    At the 2004 World Championships, he was rebuked for making threatening comments to Andy Hicks when he lost 10–4 to the unseeded outsider. After Hann had made offensive gestures and remarks throughout the match, Hicks commented at the end that the result would put Hann outside the top 16 (which it did). Following the acrimony over this defeat Hann challenged Hicks to a fight. In the event fellow snooker player Mark King stood in for Hicks at a charity boxing match with Hann which the latter won. Hann also fought Dublin GAA player, Johnny Magee, in a charity boxing match in Dublin in September 2004 after Hann suggested that Gaelic footballers were not as robust as Australia rules footballers; but he had his nose broken, with Magee winning in three rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Higgins is very lucky to still be playing snooker. And I'm not talking about Alex either Rip.

O'Sullivan's head wasn't right from the start.

• Advertisement

511 wrote: »
    The what?

The complete avoidance of a certain topic with him and how *ahem* fortunate he is to be allowed near a professional tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The problem for Hawkins is Selby in the semis. With one world title under his belt already, he should be winning a second now. But not impressed by his win over Sam Baird the other night, he needs to get better as the tournament moves on. Could make it a Leicester double.

The complete avoidance of a certain topic with him and how *ahem* fortunate he is to be allowed near a professional tournament.

For what? He didn't cheat. You can't punish someone for something he didn't do.

magma69 wrote: »

That's because they accepted money to throw frames/games, Higgins didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

I think ding will thump Williams he's had a soft route so far. Well hoult was never goina perform the same as he did v robbo. I like McManus a lot good commentator but I can't see him getting past Higgins he needs a couple of visits in frames to get over the line

That's because they accepted money to throw frames/games, Higgins didn't.

AFAIK, Hann got banned without receiving money. Literally the same as Higgins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/snooker/4725612.stm

For what? He didn't cheat. You can't punish someone for something he didn't do.

He did cheat, that's why he got punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

seanhynes wrote: »
    I think ding will thump Williams he's had a soft route so far. Well hoult was never goina perform the same as he did v robbo. I like McManus a lot good commentator but I can't see him getting past Higgins he needs a couple of visits in frames to get over the line

Personally I think that's a very stupid and naive prediction. Williams hasn't been great for the last decade or so, but anytime he's got past the first or second round of the world championships, it's normally taken an O'Sullivan or Higgins masterclass to beat him. Ding always flatters to deceive in the world championships, and it takes exceptional snooker to outplay Williams over 25+ frames, regardless of the form he is in (infact, I'd say Higgins is the only remaining player who could still do it). The draw is set up for one of them to go on and win it from here imo. Throughout the season, Williams normally suffers from a lack of practice due to a laid back and non caring attitude, but in the quarter-finals of the world championship you can be sure he'll be on his game. In his prime, Williams was probably the most consistent potter the game has ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

True, Ding is an exceptional talent but a bottler when push comes to shove in the world championships (Williams has to improve the mental side of his game too, his confidence obviously dipped over the years with a lack of practice).

You're right, he's only made it past the second round on one occasion, but I think that stat is very misleading when put into context, and not all that relevent in the upcoming match. He was really poor for the last two years, but before that it was O'Sullivan and Higgins who knocked him out on 6 occasions and they really had to raise their game to take him if you look at the individual matches (O'Sullivan has regularly said Williams is one player he always tries to raise his game for, along with Higgins and Hendry, due to what he is capable off). Williams on those 6 occasions probably played the best snooker he had on those given seasons. Now that he's past the first two rounds and into the 25+ frames a match scenario, his form will rise accordingly. I think his form up until now has little relevance because games of this length are unprecedented in a season and he generally tends to play very well when he gets to this point. I reckon if he does play very well he could beat Ding with ease, around 13-8 or so. Ding won't be able to live with him over such a lengthy match the way Ronnie or Higgins could imo but we'll see.

Advertisement